PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex IW Intro

{RainmakeR}
20th Aug 2003, 03:57
Has this already been posted somewhere here? Is it legit? Can't see anything about it on the Deus Ex: IW site:

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/deusex2/dx_intro640x480_final.zip.html

Can't be rendered real-time, surely... looks pretty damn cool though. :)

{R}

gnpaaron
20th Aug 2003, 04:43
Is that Walton Simons voice we hear during the movie????

PS - ????!

Picasso
20th Aug 2003, 04:44
It was officially released to coincide with the german GC2003.

They also released a higher-resolution Thief 3 trailer today.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that voice is of Wade Walker, Simons' clone from Area 51.

{RainmakeR}
20th Aug 2003, 04:48
Originally posted by gnpaaron
Is that Walton Simons voice we hear during the movie????
PS - ????!

Certainly sounds like it... o_O Though it could be someone called "Wade Walker", who is apparently a clone of Walton Simons.

{R}

{RainmakeR}
20th Aug 2003, 04:51
Then again, Tom Hall might be back doing voices for other characters, but that would suck because he has such a characteristic "Walton Simons" voice.

Ductonius
20th Aug 2003, 05:19
I don't know what anyone else thinks, but that just beat the pants off of Half-Life 2 in terms of cool plotline introduction.

Trevion
20th Aug 2003, 06:12
That was incredibly, incredibly sweet.

I'm not sure it completely makes sense - after all, if the lower part of a building turns into fragile sand of some sort (like the terrorist's body), wouldn't the weight of the upper part of the building collapse it?..

But still, so sweeeeeeet.

Working along side the Walton Simons clone would be awesome. I hope it's not going to be another "your first allies are your enemies" trick (if he is with your initial allies), and instead he's going to be an at least potentially sympathetic character.

Side question: Does Tom Hall normally sound like that, or is that something he does for the game?

mr chang
20th Aug 2003, 06:58
Oh man that was very good been waiting awhile for something like this. Looks like thats supposed to be a female agent but notice on door it says trainee D 562 Billy Adams, not alex oh well just something I observed looks awesome.

Random
20th Aug 2003, 07:11
Originally posted by Trevion
Side question: Does Tom Hall normally sound like that, or is that something he does for the game?

Tom Hall also did the voice of PAL-18 in Anachronox, which couldn't be more different from Simons. The guy must just have a big range. ;)

SlicerAce
20th Aug 2003, 12:24
On the "trainee" thing, it sounds like that was just a random piece of information. The "walton simons" clone (that guy the woman in the video is standing next to.) said he told the trainees to run, so I would assume that that was just a name on the door of a trainee's quarters.

The guy doesn't look like Walton Simons, but he certainly speaks like him and maybe it IS his clone (Yes, one without visible augmentation (remember, Paul and JC were the newest form of augmentation producing little or no visual defect, aside from the albino eyes, which I believe I remember reading about in the MJ12 facility below UNATCO -- they fixed that.) and with facial hair)

The woman in the video mentions something about the "terrorist" (At first thought I thought it might be JC, but would JC really destroy a city? On the flip side, would the destruction of the city prevent greater harm and thus provide the moral reason for doing so) having something called a "nannite detonator" which I assume, again, is just a small collection of nannites most likely set to reproduce as fast as possible. This was how the grey death (nannite reproduction, that "grey goo", as it's called, filled their entire system, albeit slowly -- maybe they reproduced in JC at a slow rate by control, or maybe in the new game, research has exacted newer, faster, better nannites that reproduce) worked, so I would guess that this is just a rapid, controlled reproduction (I say controlled because the scientists in the movie said it destroyed a whole city, but surely these nannites could reproduce to infinity).

My prediction is that the next sort of weapon is going to actually be some sort of protein enzyme or hormone versus a nanomachine because at the end of the clip, the Walton Simons sound-a-like-possible-clone says that they have "human cells" to use as their weapon in an "invisible war". Maybe now, an unknown group (This just doesn't feel like MJ12, the Illuminati, the templars, UNATCO, Bob Page, or ANYONE else that I can think of, and I think the designers are adding someone new so that we don't fight the same battle over people we've already beaten) is developing some sort of biochemistry related weapon that they could use for whatever it is that they do.

But there's a flaw in that theory (the bio-engineered weapon) in that in the predicted "path" for nanotechnology development, proteins are going to be our first nanomachines. We can construct them to do what we want by taking small segments and linking them together with other protein segments in a way that they do something useful for us (almost limitless). The achiles (sp?) heel for these enzymes is that when they are taken out of an optimal environment (when chilled, heated, etc.) they tend to stop working. Althought what if this bio-weapon just "lives" and reproduces in humans. Then it would make sense that they could use it...

All of this, this entire post, could be crap. I made it to bed at 4:30am, and woke up at 6:15am and now I can't get back to sleep, so I come online and I see this uber leet DX:IW intro video. I then proceeded to download it, watch it, and then come on here and ramble my conspiracy theories. Hope it at least provided some insight into other possible themes.:cool:

buddha
20th Aug 2003, 14:04
GRRRR, the file wouldnt extract for me, I spent all that time downloading it on my crappy 56k modem and then it starts extracting it and right at the very very end it stops and says there's a fault!!

Random
20th Aug 2003, 16:22
Originally posted by SlicerAce
The woman in the video mentions something about the "terrorist" (At first thought I thought it might be JC, but would JC really destroy a city? On the flip side, would the destruction of the city prevent greater harm and thus provide the moral reason for doing so) ...

The terrorist belongs to an anti-technology group called The Order. As far as I know, JC has nothing to do with them. Also, JC is supposed to play a big part in the game, so nuking him in the opening cinematic wouldn't be smart. ;)

exo
20th Aug 2003, 17:00
I just gotta say that intro trailer kicked major butt. :)

If they made an entire cg movie out of this I'd definitely watch it.

Picasso
20th Aug 2003, 19:32
I hope it's not going to be another "your first allies are your enemies" trick

You'll probably be able to decide whether you want to work with or against them.

Billie Adams is female, and is another lab rat alongside Alex in the game.

Lawnboy360
20th Aug 2003, 20:01
Filerush bit torrent : http://www.filerush.com/torrents/dx_intro640x480_final.zip.torrent

There's also one on the 3dgamers page, I get 300kB/sec.

Can't wait to see it!

Trevion
20th Aug 2003, 20:02
Originally posted by Picasso
Billie Adams is female, and is another lab rat alongside Alex in the game.

Now if only she didn't look like what I'd planned my Alex to look like.

Lawnboy360
20th Aug 2003, 20:09
That... "explosion" is pretty cool.

dirigimaster
21st Aug 2003, 08:16
Originally posted by Random
The terrorist belongs to an anti-technology group called The Order. As far as I know, JC has nothing to do with them. Also, JC is supposed to play a big part in the game, so nuking him in the opening cinematic wouldn't be smart. ;)

Aye, I figured from the video and from what I know from all the crap I've read about DX2 that its gonna be technology vs purist nutcases. But knowing DX they'll mess around with our heads.

Lawnboy360
21st Aug 2003, 16:06
What's your opinion on Billie Adams' new look?
She went from a "realistic", serious looking young woman to
an anime-influenced red-haired teen looking high, in the intro.

I prefer the "realistic" one myself.

Here's a screenshot :

http://www.planetdeusex.com/dx2/files/screenshots/pc/pcshot03.jpg

Trevion
21st Aug 2003, 16:31
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
What's your opinion on Billie Adams' new look?
She went from a "realistic", serious looking young woman to
an anime-influenced red-haired teen looking high, in the intro.

Hmm. While I normally don't appreciate anime influence, Billie doesn't really bother me, and I don't think she's necessarily any less realistic looking in the context of the game.

I personally prefer her newer look. The older one seemed a big too Trinity for my taste.

LastAndroid
21st Aug 2003, 19:02
I think the weapon kinda looks like it freezes things. That would explain why the terrorist fell apart and other stuff did not. It would also be good at killing any living thing.

BrainPrawn
21st Aug 2003, 19:53
Wow, that was cool.

blackeye
21st Aug 2003, 20:01
great !

Originally posted by Trevion
That was incredibly, incredibly sweet.

I'm not sure it completely makes sense - after all, if the lower part of a building turns into fragile sand of some sort (like the terrorist's body), wouldn't the weight of the upper part of the building collapse it?...

i think the "thing" works on a suface level first:
you can see it raging trough the shafts/corridors and on the outside of the building, that would explain why the building didn't collapse, as it takes some time before the actual structure of the building becomes "infected" ...

AlteredGlyph
21st Aug 2003, 22:39
This game looks sweet. I cried in agony after the first time i watched i, but it seems to have worn off. This whole thing looks awesome, with the nanite detonator and the awesome coolness of the voices, i think this game is gonna rock!!!

Gottagowatchitagain,bye!!

Bloodstrike
21st Aug 2003, 23:56
Great trailer, it really gave me the chills. A giant cloud that grows and is eating everything in it's path. People turn to dust. A hole city block is crumbling. Imagine if the same cloud was chasing you.

Will the 'gas-canister' from that 'terrorist' also be available as a weapon. I guess that will be impossible, because it would be the most powerfull weapon in game, wich can destroys and kills everything. Including 'the player'.

Eclipse
22nd Aug 2003, 00:10
IMHO i think the coolest part is that tiny clip of music when the helicopters are flying near the end. Its the same music from the origanal but much cooler.

Trevion
22nd Aug 2003, 01:11
Originally posted by blackeye
i think the "thing" works on a suface level first:
you can see it raging trough the shafts/corridors and on the outside of the building, that would explain why the building didn't collapse, as it takes some time before the actual structure of the building becomes "infected" ...

At the same time, it seemed to consume people immediately, suggesting that it works pretty quickly. I suppose it would be possible that it could handle organic material much faster than concrete, though.

crimson_stallion
22nd Aug 2003, 03:35
Awwww I can't get itttt :'(

I've tried all of those links and they all either run at rediculously low speeds (i.e 2kb/s) or give me some bogus unopenable file. Are there any other sites thathave the file?

i'm from australia, and have cable, but when i tried the aus link i got like 2kb/s download speeds. From ausgamers i get around 550kb/s but they dont have the file :(

Do you think there is just alot of traffic on the site for that file?

Machinax
22nd Aug 2003, 04:43
I like the way how both games start after a terrorist attack. Different scales, naturally, but enough of a parallel.

DarK-VenoM
22nd Aug 2003, 09:20
very cool intro:)

look at the *tube* the trainee is holding in the helicopter; it's the same (but much bigger) the terrorist is using to destroy the city

rynorunner
22nd Aug 2003, 21:17
:D :D :D :D :D It was magnificent i have a ? who was that doctor guy huffing and puffing in the begining. It looked like he had a canister of the grey death.

DarK-VenoM
22nd Aug 2003, 23:17
yea, I think the canister isnt there in his hands without some important reason; the guy is just holding the canister too obviously visible in his hands.

Trevion
23rd Aug 2003, 00:03
Personally, I thought it was probably an augmentation cannister. Granted it was purple instead of blue, but then they seem to be using purple as the new color associated with augmentation.

BrokenHelix
23rd Aug 2003, 00:24
The trailer reminded me of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within; it just had that sort of everything is hopeless unless you run feeling, like against the phantoms, anyway.
I agree with you SlicerAce to the fact it seems like some sort of nano-bomb because look at how small the bomb was in his hands? Now for what reason did he blow up at least 30 people, besides those in the building, so obviously a sort of corporate war, because the terrorist was obviously trying to conceal himself as a bum.

1) Corporate war

2) Rebellion against the Corporations

3) One mental little man, decided to get his jollies.

4) In the instance of the Triads, a cover-up to make it look like it was another corporation to start a corporate war.

At this point I have no clue what it has in store, except that nanites are king, and human genetics have become a lot more dominant and dangerous.

Lawnboy360
23rd Aug 2003, 01:18
I agree with you SlicerAce to the fact it seems like some sort of nano-bomb because look at how small the bomb was in his hands?

- Anything new on the terrorist?
- He's in the city. No ID, yet. Unclear whether we're the target.
- An academic distinction if he really has a nanite detonator.

It's the grey goo scenario from the cyberpunk genre. In this specific case, it would be called red goo.

Read :

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

Raziel2
23rd Aug 2003, 07:05
That trailer rocked and I to thought it sounded alot like Walton Simons speaking so I figured its his clone also the trailer leads me to believe the game takes place from the Illuminati ending because of what he said "Its not their war its ours.........We Don't need cities or armies.....An invisible weapon for an invisible War." Which makes sense to the Illuminati ending due to the secrecy and how they made everyone forget of the horrible attrocities. Just my theory though. Also I mentioned in another thread about a possible release date published in the September 2003 issue of PC Gamer it said in the article/interview wit Specter Release Date : September '03. So thats a probibale hopeful release date.

Trevion
23rd Aug 2003, 07:05
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
It's the grey goo scenario from the cyberpunk genre. In this specific case, it would be called red goo.

I'm not totally sure about that. Normally, a gray goo scenario involves completely uncontrolled replication, where the pure mass of the replicated bots ends up suffocating everything (like kudzu). The scenario in the video seemed more like the bots were intentionally destructive, as opposed to simple uncontrolled reproduction.

cball05
23rd Aug 2003, 22:22
Originally posted by SlicerAce
My prediction is that the next sort of weapon is going to actually be some sort of protein enzyme or hormone...some sort of biochemistry related weapon that they could use for whatever it is that they do.

I'm guessing that the "cells of human bodies" reference was talking about nanotechnology enhanced humans - while others are using the nanites for weapons such as the "grenade" that is so prominently featured, the speaker sees enhanced humans as a way to fight the war "on our own terms".
Anyone notice the amazing jump the girl makes onto the helicopter? Hope you can do that :cool:
I'm also guessing that one of the endings would be to use one of those "grenades", sacrificing yourself for some greater good (kind of like the Dark Age ending in DX1, but more self-sacrificial).

I WANT THIS GAME! Is it ever coming out?!?!?! :mad: :mad:

From_God
23rd Aug 2003, 22:50
I like ice cream.

Machinax
23rd Aug 2003, 23:40
Originally posted by cball05

I WANT THIS GAME! Is it ever coming out?!?!?! :mad: :mad:

I doubt.

I noticed something strange in the intro.... when the terrorist steps out of the alleyway, to his right you can see a machine with a floating holographic revolving green dollar sign. I thought the traditional monetary system was abolished in favour of credits. The only place you hear the American currency mentioned in the game was when you spoke to Simons after escaping the MJ12 facility - "Another $50 billion dollars down the drain". And even then, that conversation is optional. If you kill Manderley as soon as you enter his office, Simons doesn't even say that line.

So anyway, what's a dollar sign doing there?

Yemeth
23rd Aug 2003, 23:40
I already played the game on Xbox (about 5 minutes)... great! :D

Nice penguins and very cool flashlight effects... but I missed my mouse and the keyboard... even DX2 felt a little bit like a cheap console jump'n'run and it took me minutes to figure out how to fire the pistol...

Yemeth, proud PC owner :cool:

Gruf
24th Aug 2003, 05:09
the new look of the chick is much cooler....

the simons clone, with the beard.....WTF??

a weapon based on the scaled down bomb would be cool; a sniper rifle the turned whatever you hit to dust, instantly and silently.... I really hope it makes the game

PC gamer said the game would follow on from all three of the deus ex endings, which seems impossible, merge with helios and new dark age are mutually exclusive...
it would be cool if whichever ending invisible war follows was corrupted in the interim, much like UNATCO was in the first game, the JC joined the illuminati (or whatever) but then found out that they were just as corrupt (wanted to get the more advanced clones at area 51??) and so helps the character here to bring about their downfall??

dirigimaster
24th Aug 2003, 07:57
Originally posted by Eclipse
IMHO i think the coolest part is that tiny clip of music when the helicopters are flying near the end. Its the same music from the origanal but much cooler.

Its the DX theme, like the Rainbow Six theme, they alter it but its essence remains the same.. MGS also.

dirigimaster
24th Aug 2003, 08:05
Originally posted by Machinax
I doubt.

I noticed something strange in the intro.... when the terrorist steps out of the alleyway, to his right you can see a machine with a floating holographic revolving green dollar sign. I thought the traditional monetary system was abolished in favour of credits. The only place you hear the American currency mentioned in the game was when you spoke to Simons after escaping the MJ12 facility - "Another $50 billion dollars down the drain". And even then, that conversation is optional. If you kill Manderley as soon as you enter his office, Simons doesn't even say that line.

So anyway, what's a dollar sign doing there?

Well in reality people are gonna refer to money as you have for most of your life... dollars is a common currency anyway.

-Bob Page-
24th Aug 2003, 09:36
Games-Fusion (http://www.games-fusion.com) this site has the intro, dunno if its fast for you in Oz tho...

Godwin
24th Aug 2003, 09:58
that video was really cool, the first time i watched it, it made my hair stand

i think ion storm made this video quite some time ago, ive read about it on a gamespy article before, and it seems they've edited it from that version
take a look:
http://gamespy.com/previews/february03/dxinvisiblewarmulti/indexa.shtml

or it could just be the gamespy dude messing up...

cball05
24th Aug 2003, 16:06
Originally posted by Yemeth
I already played the game on Xbox (about 5 minutes)... great! :D

I assume you're talking about DX1? I'm fairly sure that DX2 isn't out yet... :confused:

Lawnboy360
24th Aug 2003, 16:36
DX1 is not available on XBox. It is on PS2.

Yemeth
24th Aug 2003, 18:30
Originally posted by cball05
I assume you're talking about DX1? I'm fairly sure that DX2 isn't out yet... :confused:

Nope, it WAS DeusEx 2... on XBox and on Games Convention in Germany... ;)

mr chang
24th Aug 2003, 19:02
It's on xbox and pc for sure, maybe ps2 to but I havnt heard anything about that and most websites are are letting you preorder xbox version before pc one. Though release date isn't official it looks like xbox version will be out first which tends to be the norm.

Yemeth if your telling the truth that really rules, even if it was only a few short minutes.

Erik Denton
24th Aug 2003, 19:23
wow cool intro. So it seems you are working for the Walton Simons Clone. He has the voice like a cup of coffee. i love it.

Yemeth
24th Aug 2003, 20:11
Originally posted by mr chang
It's on xbox and pc for sure, maybe ps2 to but I havnt heard anything about that and most websites are are letting you preorder xbox version before pc one. Though release date isn't official it looks like xbox version will be out first which tends to be the norm.

Yemeth if your telling the truth that really rules, even if it was only a few short minutes.

;) I really played the game... I walked trough a corridor, talked to a soldier and tried to fire the standart pistol...
another person on another xbox walked trough a snowy level and tried to kill some penguins, but they did'nt die ;)

The intro movie repeated endlessly on some small tft-monitores beside me... and now I'm owner of 5 Eidos promotion CDs containing the Deusx2 intro...

cball05
25th Aug 2003, 14:54
Gasp :eek: wow that's pretty cool. But hey, all of us will be able to play it before January, right? Right? Or at least before 2005, if we're lucky. :rolleyes:

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
25th Aug 2003, 15:05
maybe if we wait enough, we will be able to play it directly on a retinal screen via infolink, for TOTAL immersion?

Machinax
25th Aug 2003, 16:16
That'll probably be when the game itself comes out.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
26th Aug 2003, 07:28
that's if we are lucky. if we aren't, we will probably have to program it through the infolink.

mikepayne666
26th Aug 2003, 19:35
what was that stuff that guy dumped on to the street?

Machinax
27th Aug 2003, 14:41
The latest type of terrorist weapon.

Yemeth
27th Aug 2003, 18:43
It's just a standart destroy-everything-with-very-cool-effects-weapon

(perhaps you can buy it on ebay?)

:cool:

MR X
27th Aug 2003, 23:29
hmmm time for a nerd like me who actually researched it to answer =p

The "Weapon" used was called a "nano detonator". Now, a nanite is a microscopic machine that will perform various tasks at a microscopic level (e.g. act as a virus, fight bacteria, kill cells, whatever youd want a microscopic machine to do). Theoretically, there is a catastrophe which could occure when experimenting with nanites, which is that they would get out of control and simply reproduce themselves to infinity, absorbing all energy and matter in the universe, or atleast, galaxy. This possible disaster is referred to as "grey goo" although wether or not it would look like a grey goo is unkown. So it looks like what was used to destroy chicago was a controlled version of this, which would somehow stop reproducing nanites once it got beyond the borders of chicago (i hope).

Dancimanci
27th Aug 2003, 23:38
Hey,it's very,very cool! :)

Can we really walk around the streets at morning?
I have to find a coffee cheat!

You guys/ladies know anything about the weather effects?
I heard something about it,but anyway i wish to sneak in a rainy night!
Wouldn't it be good?

cball05
28th Aug 2003, 02:04
Originally posted by Dancimanci
You guys/ladies know anything about the weather effects?

Not sure, but from the intro movie it looks likes there will be snow, at least.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
28th Aug 2003, 07:07
I finally could see it (I had problems downloading it), and It looks col (even if it's only a trailer movie). but could someone give me a transcript of the dialogs, the sound effects are a little to high, and I mised some (and been french, I have problems to recreate the half-words I missed)

thanks

nvfin
28th Aug 2003, 09:18
Wow... that blew me away
The music was great, the visuals outstanding and their seems to be another provocative story in the works!!

crimson_stallion
28th Aug 2003, 11:29
Originally posted by -Bob Page-
Games-Fusion (http://www.games-fusion.com) this site has the intro, dunno if its fast for you in Oz tho...

You are a life saver !!

I am eternally in your debt !

Random
28th Aug 2003, 12:49
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
but could someone give me a transcript of the dialogs

The infusion lab?

Evacuated.

Trainees?

Gave the order myself.

What did you tell them?

I told them to run.

That's all they need to hear until we reach Seattle.

Agreed.

Anything new on the terrorist?

He's in the city; no ID yet. Unclear whether we're the target.

An academic distinction if he really has a nanite detonator.

Scanning. Surveyed region clear.

The security bots have acquired the target ... We're too late!

To the helipad. Let's go, move!

Jesus. Did they destroy the whole city to get at us?

Our enemies aren't that desperate.

Perhaps we made a new enemy.

What do they already know about the Seattle facility?

We have other options.

We aren't equipped to fight a war.

We're going to change the terms of engagement. It's our war, not theirs. We don't need cities or armies. We have the cells of human bodies. An invisible weapon, for an invisible war.

agent008
28th Aug 2003, 13:51
can someone describe to me in detail or give me a web site where i can d/l the movie and its not in any type of zip file.
i want to d/l the movie and view it in media player

JC-Scourge
29th Aug 2003, 05:45
when the terrorist is turned to dust in the intro movie, did it remind you at all of the Statue of Liberty from deus ex? when i saw it, the darkness and the way his arm was and how it fell off just reminded me of that. it more than likely has no connection whatsoever but it still looked weird. on a side note i think the intro is the best thing ever and i cant wait to start killing some of those bots and some of those people in the helicopters, or anyone else alex feels like killing when i get the game.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
29th Aug 2003, 08:52
thanks a lot, Random

(Ok, I had missed at least 50% of the dialog, makes much more sense now)

DarkForge
29th Aug 2003, 10:52
Referring to JC-Scourge:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you were a "run in with guns blazing" player, correct? ;)

I added a reference made necessary by the thread merging. Catman

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
29th Aug 2003, 15:31
just a question about the trailer : WHY did the terrorist have to go to the middle of the street to fire his weapon?

with such a firepower, anyplace in the city would have been just as fine, as the voice says the detonation place would be an "academic distinction"

cball05
29th Aug 2003, 15:46
My guess is that he wanted to be as close to the academy building as possible, therefore giving them less time to escape (which they did anyway). Plus, he doesn't really waste too much time - just runs out and activates it.

TehFreak
29th Aug 2003, 16:00
"when the terrorist is turned to dust in the intro movie, did it remind you at all of the Statue of Liberty from deus ex?" reckon they're hinting at anything?
"WHY did the terrorist have to go to the middle of the street to fire his weapon?" it's called drama
and i hate to be pedantic, but if you destroy the counter-weight in a lift, the lift won't continue to move upwards. it will in fact, fall.

JC-Scourge
30th Aug 2003, 06:32
well i tried to be a run with guns blazing character at first but i ran out of ammo and played the game as a "run with crowbar swinging" character.
i am sorry but could you please explain the counter-weight phrase you used. i guess im just dense.

NamelessOne
30th Aug 2003, 06:58
Theres been questions raised about DX2 being dumbed down
Theres been questions raised about DX2 being shorter
Theres been questions raised about DX2 being more action oriented

But at least we KNOW one thing, it will have a damn fine intro!

Godwin
30th Aug 2003, 09:58
Originally posted by TehFreak

and i hate to be pedantic, but if you destroy the counter-weight in a lift, the lift won't continue to move upwards. it will in fact, fall.

i noticed that too, but at least they made the shaft car fall after the 2 people have left the car on the roof. maybe it's drama again, or perhaps it's inertia

TehFreak
30th Aug 2003, 10:06
it'll be that drama thing again
unless the nanites are still working their way into the weight and so it takes a little time for it to be destroyed enough for the lift to start falling? conveniently after the people get out?
*needs to stop trying to make sense of sci-fi*

Godwin
30th Aug 2003, 10:10
some brake system or backup engine(maglev-type thingy) to carry the car to the top? then maybe it's after the shaft loses its structural strength that the elevator car falls

TehFreak
30th Aug 2003, 10:13
yeah, well trying to make sense of sci-fi is a quick way to get a headache. what's not good is when people you know spend an hour discusing how unrealistic star wars is. then you reliase that you're one of them. :(

Machinax
30th Aug 2003, 14:58
Originally posted by NamelessOne
Theres been questions raised about DX2 being dumbed down
Theres been questions raised about DX2 being shorter
Theres been questions raised about DX2 being more action oriented

But at least we KNOW one thing, it will have a damn fine intro!

:D

I can live with that.

Skul-Gun
30th Aug 2003, 15:47
Originally posted by TehFreak
yeah, well trying to make sense of sci-fi is a quick way to get a headache. what's not good is when people you know spend an hour discusing how unrealistic star wars is. then you reliase that you're one of them. :(

y'know that just happened to me in the glowing guns thread. where's the asprin?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
1st Sep 2003, 08:24
it may be the air pression created by the expanding nanites that are pushig the elevator up... (I am doutful, here)

coldblue
2nd Sep 2003, 16:48
OK, I hate to be really pedantic, but obviously conservation of matter applies to this case. A counterweight consumed by nanites doesn't weight any less than a regular counterweight.

Wow, I am such a nerd that the need to say that drove me to finally register in this forum. Hi.

cball05
3rd Sep 2003, 00:50
Originally posted by coldblue
A counterweight consumed by nanites doesn't weight any less than a regular counterweight.

True, but if it's no longer connected to the elevator than it won't be much use ;)

coldblue
3rd Sep 2003, 13:48
OK, but who says its disconnected? Unless I missed something, I didn't see the counterweight get disconnected. It just was submerged in the rising nanites.

Cerpin Taxt
3rd Sep 2003, 14:00
OK, I hate to be really pedantic, but obviously conservation of matter applies to this case. A counterweight consumed by nanites doesn't weight any less than a regular counterweight.

Wow, I am such a nerd that the need to say that drove me to finally register in this forum. Hi.

what's up dawg

cball05
3rd Sep 2003, 20:38
OK, but who says its disconnected?

Actually, that kind of makes sense - if you notice, the elevator doesn't fall until after the scientists get out, perhaps implying that the counterweight WAS connected until it broke off (like what happened to the terrorist).

coldblue
3rd Sep 2003, 20:52
The nanites change the structure of things (converting them into other nanites), they don't take things apart. If nanites got on a counterweight they would logically advance up toward the pulley system, not make the counterweight fall off. So you've got a mass of nanites advancing up the cable that weighs the same as the now-consumed counterweight. So your elevator will still work, very temporarily. ;)

cball05
3rd Sep 2003, 21:43
If the counterweight is converted into nanites, then wouldn't the resulting "nanite clump" be very unstable and fall apart easily? The terrorist and the flying bots seem to disintegrate quite easily, implying that the nanites could not hold together as well as they could in their original states.

XIII
4th Sep 2003, 12:33
I have made subtitles in French and English for the 30MB video trailer.
You need to copy/past the content into a text file with the same name as your video file, but with the extention .sub
Play the video with BSPlayer (www.bsplayer.org) or with another player compatible with subtitles.

Here are the subtitles:
------English Version (don't include this line in the file)----------
{300}{380}Subtitles by XIII
{990}{1010}The infusion lab?
{1018}{1038}Evacuated.
{1050}{1075}Trainees?
{1080}{1125}Gave the order myself.
{1138}{1163}What did you tell them?
{1175}{1213}I told them to run.
{1225}{1280}That's all they need to hear|until we reach Seattle.
{1283}{1304}Agreed.
{1310}{1350}Anything new on the terrorist?
{1358}{1460}He's in the city, no ID yet.|Unclear whether we're the target.
{1463}{1550}An academic distinction if|he really has a nanite detonator.
{1558}{1580}Scanning.
{1610}{1650}Surveyed region clear.
{1990}{2038}The security bots have|acquired the target...
{2050}{2075}We're too late!
{2250}{2288}To the helipad. Let's go! Move!
{3313}{3392}Jesus. Did they destroy|the whole city to get at us?
{3400}{3445}Our enemies aren't that desperate.
{3460}{3500}Perhaps we made a new enemy.
{3555}{3625}What do they already know|about the Seattle facility?
{3640}{3665}We have other options.
{3690}{3730}We aren't equipped to fight a war.
{3740}{3795}We're going to change|the terms of engagement.
{3800}{3855}It's our war, not theirs.
{3860}{3910}We don't need cities or armies.
{3911}{3943}We have the cells of human bodies.
{3965}{3995}An invisible weapon ...
{4010}{4050}... for an invisible war.

------Version Française (ne copiez pas cette ligne avec)----------
{300}{380}Sous-titres par XIII
{990}{1010}Le laboratoire d'implantation?
{1018}{1038}Evacué.
{1050}{1075}Les apprentis?
{1080}{1125}Je leur en ai donné|l'ordre moi-meme.
{1138}{1163}Que leur as-tu dis?
{1175}{1213}Je leur ai dit de courir.
{1225}{1280}C'est tout ce qu'ils ont besoin|de savoir avant d'arriver a Seattle.
{1283}{1304}D'accord.
{1310}{1350}Rien de neuf sur le terroriste?
{1358}{1460}Il est dans la ville,|aucune identification pour l'instant|Ce n'est pas clair si nous sommes la cible.
{1463}{1550}Une distinction académique s'il|a vraiment un détonateur a nanite.
{1558}{1580}Scanning.
{1610}{1650}Zone parcourue sécurisée.
{1990}{2038}Les robots de sécurité ont repéré la cible...
{2050}{2075}Trop tard!
{2250}{2288}A l'héliport. Aller! on bouge!
{3313}{3392}Mon Dieu. Ont-ils détruit|toute la ville pour nous avoir?
{3400}{3445}Nos ennemis ne sont pas si désespérés.
{3460}{3500}Peut-etre avons-nous un nouvel ennemi.
{3555}{3625}Que savent-ils sur la base de Seattle?
{3640}{3665}Nous avons d'autres options.
{3690}{3730}Nous ne sommes pas équipés|pour faire la guerre!
{3740}{3795}Nous allons changer|les termes du contrat.
{3800}{3855}C'est notre guerre, pas la leur.
{3860}{3910}Nous n'avons pas besoins|de villes ou d'armées.
{3911}{3943}Nous avons les cellules de corps humains.
{3965}{3995}Une arme invisible ...
{4010}{4050}... pour une guerre invisible.

I made the English file for those who would like to translate it in their own language, and then to publish it here.

*Edit* I modified some words in the French translation.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
4th Sep 2003, 13:11
that's good

(only I would have translated "engagement" by "conflit" rather than "contrat")

XIII
4th Sep 2003, 13:41
Why?
I think you don't establish terms in a conflict?

Otherwise I had some difficulies in traducing 'infusion lab', if you can help me out with a better idea that would be fine.
Also I didn't find a word that sound good in french for 'scanning'

rynorunner
5th Sep 2003, 01:59
Originally posted by Yemeth
It's just a standart destroy-everything-with-very-cool-effects-weapon

(perhaps you can buy it on ebay?)

:cool:

lol very very funny i had to change my pants for that

Centauro
5th Sep 2003, 14:03
Spanish subtitles.

------Version en Español (no incluya esta l*nea en el archivo)----------
{300}{380}Subt*tulos por Centauro
{990}{1010}¿El laboratorio de infusión?
{1018}{1038}Evacuado.
{1050}{1075}¿Los reclutas?
{1080}{1125}Les di la orden yo mismo.
{1138}{1163}¿Qué les dijiste?
{1175}{1213}Les dije que corrieran.
{1225}{1280}Es todo lo que necesitan saber|hasta que lleguemos a Seattle.
{1283}{1304}De acuerdo.
{1310}{1350}¿Novedades sobre el terrorista?
{1358}{1460}Está en la ciudad, aún sin identificar.|No es claro si somos su objetivo.
{1463}{1550}Una distinción académica si él|realmente tiene un detonador de nanites.
{1558}{1580}Revisando.
{1610}{1650}Zona examinada asegurada.
{1990}{2038}Los robots de vigilancia|han ubicado el blanco...
{2050}{2075}Demasiado tarde!
{2250}{2288}Al helipuerto. Vamos, muévanse!
{3313}{3392}Dios m*o. ¿Destruyeron toda|la ciudad para darnos?
{3400}{3445}Nuestros enemigos no están tan deseperados.
{3460}{3500}Tal vez tenemos un nuevo enemigo...
{3555}{3625}Y si ya saben sobre las|instalaciones de Seattle?
{3640}{3665}Tenemos otras opciones.
{3690}{3730}No estamos equipados para pelear una guerra.
{3740}{3795}Cambiaremos los terminos|del enfrentamiento,
{3800}{3855}es nuestra guerra, no de ellos.
{3860}{3910}No necesitamos ciudades ni ejércitos,
{3911}{3943}tenemos las células del cuerpo humano.
{3965}{3995}Un arma invisible...
{4010}{4050}...para una guerra invisible.

XIII
5th Sep 2003, 16:34
¡ muchas gracias Centauro!
estoy contento de ver que no soy solo a trabajar ;-)

hem, I stop speaking Spannish here, that would horrible (in addition I'm not sure this little line was understandable)
thanks for your work !

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
6th Sep 2003, 10:18
did anyone notice that the music playing in the background at the end (around the moment the woman says "what do they know...") is the intro theme from DX1?

XIII
6th Sep 2003, 10:29
you're right, but it had been modified a lot (not the same speed, tonality, etc.)

cball05
6th Sep 2003, 17:10
Originally posted by Centauro
{1080}{1125}Les d* la orden yo mismo.

[post no longer relevant, as Centauro has edited his post]

Don't want to be annoying, but shouldn't di not have an accent here? I'm not a native speaker, but I don't think dar ever takes an accent in the preterite.
Rest of the subtitles look good!

Dancimanci
6th Sep 2003, 22:56
Perhaps i wrote this before,but i got to know you're opinions too.

If the first games intro used the original game engine,could DX2 look like the one in the intro? :confused:

I'm not sure,it just sounds impossible....is it? ;)

Lawnboy360
6th Sep 2003, 22:58
No, because this is not in-game, it's CG like the Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo cinematics.

Prohass
7th Sep 2003, 08:24
The fact that Deus Ex 2 has FMVs that amazing in it just hightens my anticipation even further. With an FMV like that, it seems like Deus Ex 2 has the production values of a Final Fantasy game, the polish and epic feeling that FMV conveyed was just unbelievable, I did not expect that at all.

I love how cool seatle looked, and the security bots looked and sounded amazing. The whole thing was brilliantly directed and made me freak out with excitement.

XIII
7th Sep 2003, 09:06
If we find this video in DX2, it must be in-game. Why? Simply because we can choose the appearance of Alex D, in addition to the gender. The quality is amazing, but I think DX2 will have this quality. The DX2 engine is able to render facial animations, and uses motion capture, in addition to extensive use of pixel shader, so...

Prohass
7th Sep 2003, 09:08
Or theres the possibility that there are 2 versions of the clip, and they play depending on who you choose. I very much doubt that is in game, the qaulity of thay FMV rivalled an Final fantasy FMV.

Also, is that actually alex D? Sorry if I sound like a newb, but I thought she had black hair.

XIII
7th Sep 2003, 09:38
The devellopers said that we will be able to choose lots of things including :
- skin color
- hair style & color

The FMV looks great but I think we are far from Final Fantasy, which had much better graphics.

Prohass
7th Sep 2003, 09:42
if you look closely at FF10s FMVs and the DX one, theres not much difference, plus the Deus Ex on has a better setting and more interesting sequences.

I can pretty much garauntee you that its not a cutscene based on the ingame graphic engine.

XIII
7th Sep 2003, 10:09
Oups I thought you were speaking about Final Fantasy The Spirits Within (the movie).
I've never played FF10.
But look the 33MB video from www.gamestar.de and you'll see how amazing graphics are in the game.

XIII
7th Sep 2003, 10:12
Some screens from the video.

http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/AlexD_1.png http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/AlexD_2.png
http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/AlexD_3.png
http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/Templar.png http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/Templar2.png

Prohass
7th Sep 2003, 10:13
hehe nah I was talking about FF10. And yeah i dont doubt that the ingame graphics are brilliant, its just the recent FMV isn't using the games engine, its pre-rendered.

XIII
7th Sep 2003, 10:20
We just have to wait & see...
Perhaps you're right, perhaps you're not...

Random
7th Sep 2003, 11:35
The augmented woman in the intro movie is not Alex. Her name is Billie Adams (check the name on her door) and will always have red hair. Alex is not seen at all.

XIII
7th Sep 2003, 12:16
Thanks! I didn't notice that.

cball05
7th Sep 2003, 15:15
Yeah, I think that you're supposed to assume that one of the people running to the helicopter is Alex, but they only show their backs so they don't reveal gender.

Centauro
7th Sep 2003, 20:46
Absolutely right, thanks. Didn't notice that... Di should not be with that accent.

[Proceeds to edit previous post]

XIII: Not perfect, but I got the idea... :)

crimson_stallion
8th Sep 2003, 11:01
Originally posted by JC-Scourge
when the terrorist is turned to dust in the intro movie, did it remind you at all of the Statue of Liberty from deus ex? when i saw it, the darkness and the way his arm was and how it fell off just reminded me of that. it more than likely has no connection whatsoever but it still looked weird. on a side note i think the intro is the best thing ever and i cant wait to start killing some of those bots and some of those people in the helicopters, or anyone else alex feels like killing when i get the game.

That just made me think.. maybe invisible war will be set BEFORE Deus ex. Maybe the body in area 51 of Alex is his body after hes been dead for years. Perhaps JC was somehow related. This would allow them to make a story line that doesnt take any one of the deus ex endings. It may also explain how the grey death started - maybe the terrorist in the intro is an MJ12 terrorist who was set out to release the nano bomb. It's possible it could leave after-effects on peole who survived it, which may have spread through teh population. Maybe a similar attack was used on teh statue.

Then i thought "if this was true, how could Alex have th epossibility of fighting JC. if you killed him it would make the entire first game not work. (unless he didnt REALLY die or got brought back). Then it hough t"in that case Alex's body at area 51 would be a guy, so it would make the female/male choice unacceptable. Soo looks like that doesnt work. Would have made for an interesting thign tho. Maybe they should make a 3rd deus ex set before the original (kinda like episode 1/2/3 are set before the original start wars films). You could perhaps play as Paul and the ending could be an FMV sequence of the attack on the statue, an dthen possible of manderly telling paul he has a brother and that he has to meet with him, or somethign of the like. Probably wont happen though. MAybe its an idea for soem modders?

Prohass
8th Sep 2003, 11:07
An interesting theory, but IW is set after the first deus ex and plays out storyline-wise under the assumption that all 3 of the endings of the original occured.

And yeah the dude does look a tad like the statue.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
8th Sep 2003, 11:11
And yeah the dude does look a tad like the statue.

except he has his head on (at the beginning, at least)

crimson_stallion
8th Sep 2003, 11:18
Originally posted by XIII
Some screens from the video.

http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/AlexD_1.png http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/AlexD_2.png
http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/AlexD_3.png
http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/Templar.png http://2nde7.free.fr/Fichiers/temp/Templar2.png

Where are those pics from :| ?

Random
8th Sep 2003, 13:08
The Gamestar E3 video: http://www.gamershell.com/news_BDeusEx2Btrailers.shtml

hakselsen
8th Sep 2003, 13:50
But why doesn't eidos put the trailer on deusex.com? We been met by "Trailers coming soon" and "press content coming soon" for many months now. Well, the trailer is here now. Is the page being discontinued?

XIII
8th Sep 2003, 15:39
I prefer they spend their time tweaking the game (now it's fully playable) rather than updating their website...

This forum is always updated, so no need to look after news on the DX IW website ;-)

Dancimanci
8th Sep 2003, 16:50
Just wondering....
You said that the girl with the red hair isn't Alex,she's Billie Adams.
I always thought that Billie Adams is a male name....
I'm an ***hole,right??:)

But what if Alex is just waiting for Billie,or she's locked in the room?
I saw an old picture of Alex(black hair),and she's almost just like Billie(or that woman)

Frost Giant
8th Sep 2003, 20:58
I think she may have been a little more upset if someone locked her in the room. Just a thought.;)

Frost Giant
8th Sep 2003, 21:00
Originally posted by Frost Giant
I think she may have been a little more upset if someone locked her in the room. Just a thought.;)

I meant she would have. Sorry, the Frost Giant is not infalible.:(

SlipknotRaziel
8th Sep 2003, 21:54
How do i view that file? i Downloaded it but cant figuer out how to view it.

AlteredGlyph
8th Sep 2003, 23:28
I think you unzip it, and then double click on the movie file. Thats how i did it.

Random
9th Sep 2003, 00:08
Just wondering....

'Billy' would usually be male, but Billie is more female. It's like Terry and Teri.

{RainmakeR}
9th Sep 2003, 00:22
Speaking of unisex names, I wish they had gone for something different to Alex... it's been used to death. Wasn't the lead character in Star Trek: Elite Force called Alex? (and you could choose male or female; choosing female was kinda cool because regardless of the gender, 'Alex' kinda has a sexual tension thing happening with another *female* officer) :D

Prohass
9th Sep 2003, 05:33
I think the anomininity and ambiguous nature of the name are why it was chosen, special agents need to blend in, what better whay to do that than with a unisex, common name?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
10th Sep 2003, 11:39
after all this is only a nickname.

you can choose your name, like you could in DX1.

Godwin
11th Sep 2003, 09:35
Just wondering....

But what if Alex is just waiting for Billie,or she's locked in the room?
I saw an old picture of Alex(black hair),and she's almost just like Billie(or that woman)

they're all nanoagents (trainees according to the movie) of that corporation, whatever it is called(anyone knows what the sign says? i cant read it), and you will meet them ingame, as numerous hands-on reviews of the xbox version have stated

AlteredGlyph
11th Sep 2003, 15:01
It's Tarsus.

Dancimanci
11th Sep 2003, 17:31
No matter.

It's just because i liked Billie.
If i could choose i would look as the same as Alex.
(She's nice! ;) )