PDA

View Full Version : Demo!

JT1
29th Aug 2003, 03:52
What a HUGE disappointment from Commandos 2. There are absolutely no keyboard shortcuts! This game has been dumbed-down, so that you have to point and click on everything. I don't know why they ruined such a fine game.

demise88
29th Aug 2003, 17:27
i couldn't argee more, with any luck they'llhave editable hotkeys like in c2.

if not i see no reason in even playing c3, its just too damn unplayable.

note to developers... please at least have an option to have controls/hotkeys like c2

JT1
29th Aug 2003, 17:38
I'm still crushed over the this. The gameplay now is ridiculously awkward. I cannot believe the majority of users don't use the keyboard shortcuts. Did you see how the "aggressive" works? It takes forever to set the commando up to cover an area.

It's a shame. Pyro was so much better than any other games in this genre, now it looks like the competitors have instantly leap-frogged over them.

WeinerMan
29th Aug 2003, 17:41
in order to include the tutorials and a mission i'm sure they had to leave some stuff out to make it a managable download. wouldn't you agree or didn't you think? i would imagine there will be shortcuts in the final version....

David
29th Aug 2003, 18:17
Originally posted by JT1
I'm still crushed over the this. The gameplay now is ridiculously awkward. I cannot believe the majority of users don't use the keyboard shortcuts. Did you see how the "aggressive" works? It takes forever to set the commando up to cover an area.

It's a shame. Pyro was so much better than any other games in this genre, now it looks like the competitors have instantly leap-frogged over them. hey.it is unfinished demo version!!! so dont judge the game by it. i am sure another demo version, which comes out next week will be much better!!!

WeinerMan
29th Aug 2003, 18:59
i am sure another demo version

and how do you know this? please provide more credentials than just "i have my sources" :D

demise88
29th Aug 2003, 20:29
david, i really hope your right!

but still the new camera control is akward and alot of the times when you move the cursor to the side of the screen the map doesn't pan, talk about annoying.

with C2's control scheme this game could be every bit as good as C2! :)

sean1007
30th Aug 2003, 07:22
Originally posted by WeinerMan
in order to include the tutorials and a mission i'm sure they had to leave some stuff out to make it a managable download. wouldn't you agree or didn't you think? i would imagine there will be shortcuts in the final version....
I totally agree with all the complaints....
I was not too thrilled with the "men of courage "demo either.
BEL and BCD were two GREAT games....
I bought "preotorians" from Eidos, too. I had heard soem good things about it, and only played it for one day.
Stupid interface..
I do think that the game (C3) will be much like the demo.
It used to be that you could start a commandos game with no tutorial whatever, nice and easy.
No more. DARN IT!!
how can you screw up such a good thing. I just don't get it...
Everyone seems to think that they have to be more complex than the next guy, Wrong !!
I remember the demo for BCD.... hard one to crack. but great to play...This one... I really don't care to have different camera angles and zooms, and so forth..
Make the mission more difficult, not the game harder to play.. DUH !!!!
I for one, WILL NOT buy C3 before checking this forum and reading what you have to say.
Thanx
sean
PS: does anyone have any idea has to when Thief and Deus ex'
are coming out?

JT1
30th Aug 2003, 20:41
You're right, Sean. I cancelled my preorder on C3 based on the demo. I think they wanted to attract a wider audience with this new gameplay with the silly point and click interface. Plus, they don't discount killing over knocking out like in C2. In the demo, it doesn't matter whether you punch, stab or shoot. Even the inventory swapping is cumbersome. It's a shame considering they had a great franchise on their hands. I can't see how they weren't doing well not with all of the copycats doing similar work, e.g. Desperados, Robin Hood.

Oh well, the next few months are going to be bountiful without C3: Half Life 2, Star Wars: Jedi Academy, Deux Ex 2 (end of year, by the way), Call of Duty. I played the demo of Call of Duty last night; it is Spectacular! (MOH times 10)

I guess I'll play C2 again for the third time in the meantime.

P.S. Thief 3 is suppose to out end of year, but I think sometime next year is the most likely date.

Cheers!

thekkel
30th Aug 2003, 22:28
I'm wondering: Are there no shortcuts what so ever? Not even possible to make the shortcuts for yourself?

JT1
30th Aug 2003, 23:32
Here are the keys I found:
z: examine
a: stand guard
q,z: cycle between weapons

That's it! There is zero configuration capability.

Xcom
30th Aug 2003, 23:40
Originally posted by thekkel
Not even possible to make the shortcuts for yourself?

Not in the current demo.

thekkel
31st Aug 2003, 00:26
I've tested the demo now, and I am not impressed. Nothing's new (thinking about the sounds, guns, stuff to distract the enemy with..), but I really hope Pyro removed all these things just for the demo. But if this is the finished result Pyro have missed one customer (and I'm a hardcore Commandos fan).

sean1007
31st Aug 2003, 00:36
Thanks for the " call of cuty" demo..
The name is strangely familiar :-))))
It looks good and straight forward to play...
I also took a look at the deus ex trailer. Hard to tell what it will be like , but the screenshots look like they didn't go overboard ..
Let's hope
I had seen somewhere, that the release date was Sept. 03
Wi'll see...
see you all later.
Sean

angrysquirrel
2nd Sep 2003, 02:13
there's another tactical shooter out there. I can't name it because they will probably delete my post, but check out www.megagames.com and then scroll down about 2 pages in "demos." You'll see a real time strategy game based on world war II with deformable objects.

Commandos 3 demo has been a huge disapointment. No key shortcuts, the AI is dumb as usual, and basic features like aggressive mode do not even work. Why release a demo that is so bug ridden you can't even play it?

sean1007
6th Sep 2003, 23:02
Commandos 3 also promises to be more accessible and easier to play than previous games in the series.

So goes the explanation concerning C3
as seen on "3D Gamers" web page.
(incidently, and I have no incentive for saying that, except to be helpfull, but 3D gamers doesn' ask you for anything in order to downlaod and if you choose to downlaod form the Indianna mirror, you don't have to shut down your firewall. Plus they have all the latest demo available ....)
But after playing the demo and moreover reading the intreview with "Perez" as posted in this forum, I can deduct that this game will be more about "bring'em on"
rather that using your brain to go throught the game.
Let's hope they didn't go too far in that direction.
PS: I am really glad that all the screenshots regarding "thief III" look very nice and not too far fetch from the previous games
Sean

sean1007
8th Sep 2003, 22:48
Since this post has over 920 views, I only wanted to keep it alive and well..
Shame on me...
Sean

:p
We have reached the thousand mark...
HAHHAHHAHA
I can rest now. :)
I may take time off and learn russian, italian, and greek.:p Oh ! and Martian too.
:eek:

This post has to reach 2000. That's my goal. Imagine all the folks reading it, and postponding buying C3 .
Perhaps Pyro could learn something as a result..
Sean

~edit~

3 posts ---> 1 post

Mike_B
19th Sep 2003, 05:11
You will not achieve 2000 views by keep posting new replies...

Also I think the full game will differ a lot from the demo, even if it's the final demo.

ragsy
19th Sep 2003, 06:13
Originally posted by angrysquirrel
there's another tactical shooter out there. I can't name it because they will probably delete my post, but check out www.megagames.com and then scroll down about 2 pages in "demos." You'll see a real time strategy game based on world war II with deformable objects.

Commandos 3 demo has been a huge disapointment. No key shortcuts, the AI is dumb as usual, and basic features like aggressive mode do not even work. Why release a demo that is so bug ridden you can't even play it?

Silent Storm Eh?
Looks interesting but i hate turn based games, maybe i'll give it a try, anyone tried it?

sean1007
19th Sep 2003, 06:41
[QUOTE]Originally posted by @m
[B]You will not achieve 2000 views by keep posting new replies...

Will you buy C3 and send it to me if this post passes the 2000 mark?
And no deleting post. HEY !!!
No cheating:p
Sean

demise88
19th Sep 2003, 08:17
to all the people claiming that this is just a demo and don't judge the final product by it... ISN'T THAT THE PURPOSE OF A DEMO???

pyro would be stupid to leave out NEEDED fatures that the Commandos fans couldn't do without, besides who was this demo made for? casual gamers who've never played the franchise or commando fans, i would think the later and i'm sure so would pyro.

so i'm more then sure that the demo is a good refelection of what the finished product will be like, so the community is justifed in being disappointed.

Mike_B
19th Sep 2003, 14:08
I'm still certain that the final product will differ very much from the demo. As long as I haven't had the game in my hands I'll will keep thinking that.

iakovos
19th Sep 2003, 17:30
Besides both BEL and BTCOD demos were different from the game itself. All we have to do is wait and see...

Iakovos:)

sean1007
19th Sep 2003, 17:32
You are what they call "an eternal optimist" @M:p
And I sure hope you are right about the game being better than the demo. But you still haven't told me if we have a deal about reaching the 2000 mark ! LOL
:D
Sean

sean1007
22nd Sep 2003, 22:52
We are almost there.
WE need a little more than 500 views for @M to buy me
C3.:p
He hasn't said so yet, but I am sure that he will come around to doing it. HAHAHHAHA
Sean

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
23rd Sep 2003, 01:36
Originally posted by ragsy
Silent Storm Eh?
Looks interesting but i hate turn based games, maybe i'll give it a try, anyone tried it?

I have....and it sweeps the floor with C3. I mean come on....

Heard of the "Ragdoll" effect in FPS games? Well Silent Storm has that , so that means that the enemy soldiers (and your own) react to how they are shot, i mean if you shoot a soldier in the arm he'll do a cool armflip thingie ( I can't really explain, you ahve to test it).

And another thing.........everything is destrucable. There's a wall between you and an enemy? Not anymore, use some dynamite or a burst from and HMG and the wall collapses :D

If you liked Jagged Alliance 1 & 2 you'll most likely like this.

I've already pre-orderd the whole game just after playing 2 hours of the demo (I thik I played like ten hours just trying new stuff in it :D.

www.s2hq.com if you want to check out some screens etc.

I can't praise this game enough....It's just awsome.

Ps.
If tehre are a lot of gramatical or typing errors it's because of that i'm tierd (it's 4:00 in the morning now) and i've been doing lots and lots of Cocain (just kidding :D )

sean1007
24th Sep 2003, 01:16
I have to differ with your opinion Lew.
I got the demo, but I found the game awkward to play.
Lots of control. pop ups. etc...
It 's a bit to "busy" for me.
And I don't think that turn base games go well with this kind of game. WWII eg
thanks for the tip anyway.
PS" I started the download at a whooping 453 kb :p
but gradually, went back down to a very slow 19kb
:mad: So it still took me a couple of hours to downlaod the 200 meg demo
Sean

sean1007
24th Sep 2003, 04:26
Lots of people seem to be pretty upset for one reason or another about this new C3 and are threatening to boycott it. Or at the very least to wait before they buy it.
That leads me to happyness.:p
Cause it means that the game will be on sale after a couple of week .
And at 29.95 $, I can take the change to buy a "turkey"
Since, I don't think that @M is gonna buy me a copy:(
HAHHAHA
Sean

David
24th Sep 2003, 04:54
hehehe, @m maybe wont, but xcom will buy you one for sure ;)
i will sure a lot of people will buy.....man 100.000 demo copies were d/led from gamershell only, so at least 20% will buy it, plus many others! this game wont be cheaper till x-mas for sure, if not till x-mas 2004;) so you might have to wait a bit longer then expected.

sean1007
24th Sep 2003, 06:03
First of all. in the US the Commandos games are not moving as well as in the EU and rest of the world.
Second, October is far from Xmas and big stores have to make room for end of the year arrivals.
I really can see the game going down , thanks to promos, by the second or third week after release.
It happens all the times here.
Sean:p

David
24th Sep 2003, 06:11
i wish same would happen in eb games too, here in toronto :(

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
24th Sep 2003, 08:00
Originally posted by sean1007
I have to differ with your opinion Lew.
I got the demo, but I found the game awkward to play.
Lots of control. pop ups. etc...
It 's a bit to "busy" for me.
And I don't think that turn base games go well with this kind of game. WWII eg
thanks for the tip anyway.
PS" I started the download at a whooping 453 kb :p
but gradually, went back down to a very slow 19kb
:mad: So it still took me a couple of hours to downlaod the 200 meg demo
Sean

Some might like it others may not. It's comepleately up to the individual, I myself just loved all about it (of course I did have minor gripes about this and that) and couldn't get enough of it.

Also I seem to forget a lot that it's not that usual for other to have 1.2MB/s Downstream/upstream as I do :rolleyes: and that it takes me way faster to download demos etc. :/
So sorry for waisting your bandwidth (if you have a limited amout of it) :(

sean1007
24th Sep 2003, 08:16
So sorry for waisting your bandwidth (if you have a limited amout of it) :( [/B][/QUOTE]
I tell you.
I have cable and usually am able to download at good speeds.Not the ones you quoted. but more than fair.
However, lately as more people get logged on, speeds have been lousy.
I am looking into that, as I am not too familiar with that
aspect of PC's yet. I even dowloaded a "cable booster " program that is supposed to give you unlimited bandwidth,
No apologies necessary tho. you live and learn....
Sean
PS" I posted something about the C3 icon a while back.
It just looks weird to me. Any thoughts on that fellows?
:cool:

David
24th Sep 2003, 14:20
would you mind showing it to us ;)

sean1007
24th Sep 2003, 19:13
Post pics.. etc...
But surely you have the same all over
The african mask with three teeth . two big eye brows and one white eye open..
nasty looking.
Sean

sean1007
25th Sep 2003, 04:14
Also I seem to forget a lot that it's not that usual for other to have 1.2MB/s Downstream/upstream as I do and that it takes me way faster to download demos etc. :/

Hey. Lew. I hope this is not too personal a question. But how do u manage to get that much speed?
Is it constant . or does it fluctuate?
I am getting frustrated with my Cable/modem connection now.
Speeds have been slow as heck.:confused: Probably too many customers on at the same time.
Also, it's amazing how many demos are pure junk out there.
You might download a dozen only to find one that's half way interesting.
Sean

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
26th Sep 2003, 00:53
Well the reason my speed never fluxiuates is because the ISP did a thourough job at installing the backbone of it all :D

So no........I can always handle 10Mbit in/out.

Also this will in a year be raised to 100Mbit (12MB /s) full duplexity since the competition is getting tighter but the price will only be a little more. The current price is about 26 bucks a month.

When downloading things of the net the speeds always change since it all depends from what site i'm dl'ing from. So mostly I use the Dutch gamershell mirror since I can easily get up to 1.02MB/s and get what I want within minutes.

sean1007
26th Sep 2003, 01:40
Hey. thanks for the answer.
I finally installed a cable booster by quest tech, and it did improve the speed
I clocked the C3 demo at 12 meg a minute average.
So, it took me just a little over 18 minutes. Not bad at all.
Sean:cool:

sean1007
29th Sep 2003, 21:59
It made it after all. Might be close to release date to aim at 3000. But you never know.
Des frites et puis des moules @M, mais aussi des C3:p
Sean

Monkey44
3rd Oct 2003, 01:29
i just wanted to say to all of you guys that are complaining so much about the lack of hotkeys that you are going to boycott a game for a crappy reason. I am sure that when all of you guys played c2 for the first time you were overwhelmed by the amount of hotkeys and it took you guys a long ass time to learn them all, but now with practice you guys rape nazis with those same command keys.
C3 will be no different, its just a new style thats going to seem overwhelming at first until you learn how to play with it well, than the rapings will start again. Be patient with c3 like you were with c2 and c1 and you will enjoy it a lot. Dont go boycott something just because its going to be different than the original, thats what sequels are all about.

sean1007
3rd Oct 2003, 01:53
OOPS.... I mean, yes Monkey !:o
Most of us are going to wait before buying C3 because the demo does not work, because the train mission is a " bring 'em on mission" witch basically sucks, and YES, for some, because the "hot keys" had become and intricate part of the game. What's wrong with that ?I hate change myself:p
And since you mentionned the earlier commandos games, I do wish that Eidos would have just given us more of the same with extanded missions. I love those games.
Sean

Xcom
3rd Oct 2003, 04:42
Originally posted by Monkey44
its just a new style thats going to seem overwhelming at first until you learn how to play with it well, than the rapings will start again. Be patient with c3 like you were with c2 and c1 and you will enjoy it a lot. Dont go boycott something just because its going to be different than the original, thats what sequels are all about.

There was nothing wrong with previous control scheme and style (with shortcuts and such). Why need to change it?

If being different means improvement, then I understand. But if a sequal is being different just for the sake of being different , then that's plain retarded. I mean really, think about it. Pyro could have been different and have put Mickey Mouse as a character. That would have been really "different" (but it would also have ruined the feel of the game).

Look at what happened to the last Tomb Raider. Devs decided to be different. :rolleyes: The game got mega-sucky reviews from all major magazines and sites. That it was ridden with bugs, also didn't help the cause. I have the fear that the same fate awaits C3.

Monkey44
4th Oct 2003, 20:18
First off let me make it clear that i am a huge fan of the hotkeys, there wasnt a key that i didnt have memorized and i used them all the time. All im saying is that you guys need to give Eidos some credit, obviously they know that everyone used the hotkeys, they know the significance of doing moves simultaneously, they arent just changing the format of the game just so they can be different, and as far as i know mickey mouse isnt the newest member of the dirty half dozen. One more thing that you guys need to keep in mind is that demos never represent the final game, when companies release the demo they release it far before the final game is complete, with any luck we will still have a lot of hotkeys like in c2.

WeinerMan
4th Oct 2003, 20:58
Entry: demo
Pronunciation: 'de-(")mO

a showing of the merits of a product or service to a prospective consumer

"demos never represent the final game"

the hell they don't, that's their purpose. they may be limited to some degree but their sole purpose is to wet the appetite of the perspective customer by giving him/her a taste of the real thing. i think what we see in the demo is what we'll see in the game. i got 10 bucks US on that and if i'm wrong, @m said he'd pay you....anyone?

Xcom
4th Oct 2003, 22:29
Originally posted by Monkey44
All im saying is that you guys need to give Eidos some credit

I always give credit where due but I don't give it in advance, though. And I am not boycotting the game either. I mean that if the final game turns out to be the same as the demo, I will simply not buy it immidiately after release, the way I did with all previous Commandos games; I'll wait till it hits bargain bins.

sean1007
4th Oct 2003, 22:57
got 10 bucks US on that and if i'm wrong, @m said he'd pay you....anyone?

Well, I hope @M has money in his bank account to cover your 10 Weiner, plus my 10 $.:p I believe as well that demos are the real thing
With all those bets, he won't want to send me C3 ... :-(
Look, the big wheel from Pyro said it himself" keys are GONE"
So , that's that.
AS far as waiting to buy the game untill more reviews(from @M and others) are in, I think it's only smart since they can't even get the tutorial to work correctly.
:( I mean,, COME ON !!!
By the way, (and I am mentionning this only cause Pyro had Praetorians released earlier,which sucked very baddly) but Activison has ROME TOTAL WAR due later on, and movies have been relased ,and they ROCK !
That game should be awsome....
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/rome/#filelist
Sean

David
5th Oct 2003, 04:04
i will just wait while there will be a dvd or special promotion and then i will buy it!
btw praetorians didnt suxed!!! it was allright, but got too hard by level 18 or 15, so i quit it :)

Mike_B
5th Oct 2003, 07:35
Originally posted by sean1007
Well, I hope @M has money in his bank account to cover your 10 Weiner, plus my 10 $.:p

By the way, (and I am mentionning this only cause Pyro had Praetorians released earlier,which sucked very baddly)

I have plenty of money to cover anyone in the forum :D but that doesn't mean I will ;)

Praetorians didn't suck, it was a very good game, I think the main problem was that too many people compared it with Commandos.. Praetorians was innovative, original and was nice to play, though it lacked some replayability. David I found the game quite easy, I completed it on Normal.

btw you should complete the game or you will miss a great cutscene at the end of the game :p

David
6th Oct 2003, 18:52
hmm,who said i havent saw last cutscene ;) it was awesome as a matter of fact!!!
i am to lazy to play it nowadays. maybe someday iwill play it again, when i will be extremely bored:)

sick
7th Oct 2003, 18:42
only havnt finished prae on the highest difficulty level. will try to later.
now i have more interest in modding commandos. finding new stuff every day so it goes quite good. have been working on my C2 commandos vs commandos multiplayer mod but i have some weird probs with it... now idea how to fx, must have missed smth:(

sean1007
14th Oct 2003, 00:58
I have not had the time to play the newest demo (last one released) but the problems have been fixed in the tutorials.You are now able to use the bomb to blow up the tank..That's good news....
Sean

WeinerMan
14th Oct 2003, 01:11
"able to use the bomb to blow up the tank"

not a biggie, the sniper can "shoot the tank to death" (sigh). the BIG issue is the newest demo is based on Gold code, meaning if it doesn't have all the hotkeys these yo-yos want, the game won't either. see the other demo thread, someone needs to find out about that, not about the stupid sapper and his bomb :D

sean1007
14th Oct 2003, 01:35
At least, I have played the tutorials... If you are not satisfied with my comments/report, then I suggest you play it and share your EXPERTISE with us....
U are bkasting "Lechuck" at every turn for his negative posts, yet you are doing exactly the same thing now..
Ever heard of pointing fingers , and having them pointing right back at you?
:o
Sean

WeinerMan
14th Oct 2003, 02:01
what are you blubbering about? all i said was people are only interested in the hotkeys, WHICH THEY ARE!. i said nothing negative. note the -> :D <- where i said stupid sapper. that means i am kidding. and "shoot the tank to death" was a shot at Pyro. why? why oh why are there so many boneheads in this world???