PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this a shocker..

AndrewIII
28th Aug 2003, 21:33
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3174761.stm

To be honest, this is something I saw coming along time now. There's nothing I can really say about ouch!!

Leigh Croft
28th Aug 2003, 22:14
Ouch! Very Ouch!

dhama
28th Aug 2003, 22:49
It's all true........ but why the media finds it necessary to keep shoving down our throats,something that we already know, is beyond me.

eurisko
29th Aug 2003, 04:01
meh.

Whatever.

Just some journo who thinks he knows everything about TR because he's seen the movies and the games. Wow.

Lara's identity and her personality wane in accordance with people's views of said ID and personality. It's subjective. Some people think she's becoming more real, others think she is indeed dying. He's just one little fishie in a big bad sea.

So I say again, whatever.

Mgardiner
29th Aug 2003, 07:17
CrystalD will turn this around, mark my words.

Tomb Raider Fan
29th Aug 2003, 12:30
Yep..... Maybe

The*angel*of*darkness
29th Aug 2003, 13:20
BBC, neva liked TR, they always said it was to voilent, they are all a bunch of*beep*. so i don't pay attetion to reviews anymore, if i like it, i like it if i don't then i don't it's my discion not theirs.

FZR600R
29th Aug 2003, 21:30
Originally posted by The*angel*of*darkness
BBC, neva liked TR, they always said it was to voilent, they are all a bunch of*beep*. so i don't pay attetion to reviews anymore, if i like it, i like it if i don't then i don't it's my discion not theirs.

I guess BBC never heard about CS and similar games then.:D

thanhkim
29th Aug 2003, 22:06
Kiss my butt to that response is all I have to say. Most of these people only see the game for like five minutes and pay the same amount of time to the movie so what would they know.

AndrewIII
30th Aug 2003, 08:26
Originally posted by eurisko
meh.

Whatever.

Just some journo who thinks he knows everything about TR because he's seen the movies and the games. Wow.

Lara's identity and her personality wane in accordance with people's views of said ID and personality. It's subjective. Some people think she's becoming more real, others think she is indeed dying. He's just one little fishie in a big bad sea.

Well no; the author of that article does bring out some important points. Believe it or not but from what I'm seeing, the entire gaming industry basically turned its back on the Tomb Raider franchise and Lara Croft - not just because of the games,but what Lara Croft have become . Believe it or not,but I've even seen internet polls asking which gaming franchise needs to be done away with, and Tomb Raider ranked at the very top next to Army Men.

Now I would have love to see the TR franchise continue,but with with the bad reputation the series been getting, I don't know say.

eurisko
30th Aug 2003, 12:32
There was a similar sentiment in a computing forum for an Australian computer magazine recently, and some of the writers for the magazine stopped by to remind some people of a few industry truths:

"The average gamer has a tendency to dismiss Tomb Raider, but the industry view is it still stands as a milesone series."

"It's nice to see Core Design still remembers that it is considered one of the 3D graphics pioneers."

"Let us not forget that the Tomb Raider franchise has boosted the games industry in more ways than one (with more than one of Lara's assests, and not those ones)."

"It's great to finally see an entry into the Tomb Raider franchise that is meatier, more aggressive, darker and edgier. It's not before time. Previous incarnations of Tomb Raider may have been fine in the past, but this new generation of Tomb Raider looks set to hook gamers who are into the Hitman and SOF style of edgy games."

"Rather than pure push-block, back-flip-over-there type puzzles, AOD actually manages to bring new elements into the game that generally give it a more mature feeling - or it would have, had the game been finished (but that's a grumble for another time)."

"It's a shame that AOD was horribly unfinished, but we are predicting this is just the start of a better era for Lady Croft. Especially since Eidos have since handed over the control to Crystal Dynamics. Providing the fans stick it out for the next one, Tomb Raider is only just beginning."

Ok, so I look at that stuff, then I read that BBC article. The two do not seem on level ground, imo. These comments were made by a number of leading Australian IT writers. These fellows know their stuff. Which is why it is my choice to hold their opinions in higher esteem than that BBC fellow. But it's just my choice, and my opinion.

I don't know where you are, but there's a general consensus here in Australia that AOD has actually been a positive entry into the TR series. Yeah it certainly has it's drawbacks, but there's been a lot of praise in IT/gaming circles about basically every aspect of the new game, especially the darker changes. The general consensus is that had the game been finished and the controls didn't suck, it would have gone down as one of the best games of all time. It wasn't and therefore it is not, but the general response down here is actually a positive one. An outlook that looks towards the future with hope.

Oh but that BBC fellow comments on music, film and gaming. I better believe him. ;)

Believe it or not
I probably would believe it, but polls on the Internet don't do much for me, unless they are placed on gaming or IT websites (not fanboy sites, not personal sites, not anything but credible, official sites that have a very very good reputation). And even then, who gives a f---ing ant's birthday party what the results are? Poll results are the mass opinions of the mob and therefore do not provide me with any reason to be concerned. I doubt games developers look at a number of polls and decide to pull a multi-million dollar franchise just because some polls say their game is not the flavour of the month. That may sound harsh but it's not meant to be (read it with a light tone of voice and you'll get where I'm coming from). I just don't hold stock in that stuff. Numbers, statistics, facts, press releases declaring the TR franchise dead are where I'm at. And until that BBC fellow writes an article including all these things (not just generalised concept analysis and vague statements) I will not be convinced.

Credible national IT writers VS some fellow who exchanges "views on gaming, music, film and culture." Woohoo his speciality isn't even gaming - unlike those I've quoted. I can comment on those things. Doesn't make me right. Just a commentor.

edit: this is just my opinion. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, nor am I saying that just because it's been recieved somewhat positively down here doesn't mean it's the same everywhere. Environment counts and my environment has spoken.

RebeL_fARmeR
30th Aug 2003, 23:00
Why did they....................... delete my reply? 'cos I ain't seeing it here!

I said AoD was giving me a brain-breakin control nightmare (which was true)

I said AJ has erased and over-written Lara (which is almost true)

What's the problem with that? Mods? E-mail me if there's a problem. Did I do something wrong? If so tell me about it, if I did anything out of proportion then please let me know for the future

Thanks

GoranAgar
31st Aug 2003, 09:07
Well, you know we have a language filter and you know that if you type a capital F and three * you get a certain message across. That means you knew very well what was wrong with your reply. So spare me your innocent 'I-really-don't-know-what-I-did-wrong'-stuff. And you made it clear to everybody what you think about AJ, but it is time to turn the volume down. I might regard constant repetition as spam one day. Soon.

Your signature is still too high. Check the nearest signature thread.

Have a productive day.

Omega_Weapon
31st Aug 2003, 11:56
Video game movies almost always flop at the theaters, so I don't see why Eidos assumes Lara is so special as to be any different.

DaveJ
31st Aug 2003, 12:00
The first one did well enough... sadly the 2nd one opened the same weekend as 3 other big crowd pullers.

Apparently its the first time in cinema history that 4 new films have taken over $25 million each in the same opening weekend.

COL will still make a profit after the worldwide figures are in... not to mention the home vid market.

And the original still holds the record for highest box office opening for a film with a female lead.

RebeL_fARmeR
31st Aug 2003, 13:14
Okey doke, I've been very bad and I need my legs breaking.

As for the "constant repetition" debate. Is it really that bad? I mean, it's not like it's off topic or anything, I thought this forum was about freedom of expression?
I picked up on the quote about how AJ was arguably more of the real Lara than Lara herself... come on! Do you think it was possible for me to resist picking up on that??? :D I've started several lengthy debates with my anti-movie protests but none of them have done any harm, they've given people something to chat about, is my movie bashing REALLY that bad?

By the way, I'll fix the sig when I get a chance. I take it you want it smaller in pixle-dimensions rather than file-size?

P.S. I rarely have productive weekend days