PDA

View Full Version : Metric system or Imperial?

BjornCarlsten
27th Aug 2003, 14:18
Hello to all of you. I wonder if you could provide me with information whether or not Deus Ex: Invisible War will use the metric system or the imperial system. I realize that it is an american game, so I suppose there will be feet and inches and that, but some missions do take place in other parts of the world. It would be highly unrealistic if they used imperial there as
well.

I seem to remember that Anna Navarre from Deus Ex used metric. At least something...

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 15:03
well the game will take place in different parts of the world and i dont understand what you mean by the other thing

BjornCarlsten
27th Aug 2003, 15:07
I am simply asking if the game Deus Ex Invisible War will use the metric system (meters, centimeters, kilometers etc.) and/or the Imperial system (feat, inches and such).

Random
27th Aug 2003, 15:09
In what way? :confused:

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 15:10
hmm well i think it will use the same system it used in the first one or it might make some changes to it

BjornCarlsten
27th Aug 2003, 15:12
Originally posted by agent008
hmm well i think it will use the same system it used in the first one or it might make some changes to it

Well, the thing is that Deus Ex used both. In America I can understand why you would use Imperial, as that is your system. But in Europe or pretty much everywhere else in the world, you use metric. I think it would be a clumsy mistake if Invisible War would have us use imperial in countries who uses metric.

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 15:16
hay when a creater of a game gets lazy and make stupid mistakes they will wish they never did it in the first place:eek:

BjornCarlsten
27th Aug 2003, 15:19
In Deus Ex they made no such mistake. Wouldn't you agree with me that it would be odd if a country that doesn't use metric suddenly does in the game? If Ion Storm use Imperial in america and metric elsewhere, it could show the different cultural that exist in the our world (and no doubt in the deus ex world).

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 15:23
well i dont know how different they made the game in the us and where you are from is it england?

BjornCarlsten
27th Aug 2003, 15:26
Actually, I'm from Sweden. As I said, imperial was used in the game, but Anna Navarra (who's from Israel, I believe) used metric. It would dispel the illusion of a real european city if they used the imperial system (as it is almost exclusively used in the US).

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 15:30
hmm ok did you check any reviews or email the companies to see if they are gonna use the metric system or imperial system?

BjornCarlsten
27th Aug 2003, 15:33
Well, I have yet to email directly to Ion Storm, but I figured these were the official message boards so that I could get my answer here. I will email them if I don't get any satisfactory answer here, but I doubt I would get a reply. They are busy making the game, eh?

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 15:38
yea i hate game companies they never respond to meaaage about game feature those sob

well in a couple or days or later when people log on they will probabily can answer your question

Lawnboy360
27th Aug 2003, 23:53
I figured these were the official message boards so that I could get my answer here.

You'd have more luck on Ion Storm's boards (developer) than this one (publisher's). But it's still rare that a developer will answer a question on IS boards too.

yea i hate game companies they never respond to meaaage about game feature those sob

Some do. I know there's a forum about the questions people asked Gabe Newell (HL2) by email and his answer, and I once emailed American McGee about Oz and he answered.

BMKane
28th Aug 2003, 22:00
Metric system is more suited to accurate measurements, and since the story seems to be based around a nanotech company (Based on the trailer), they'll probably use metric almost everywhere. Besides, this is the future. Maybe U.S. caved and decided to join the rest of the world in using metric ;)

[IS]XXX
29th Aug 2003, 02:13
Just to clear it up, the Imperial system is for the UK only. The American system is the Customary system. Yes, there is a difference.

In addition, the Metric system and the SI (International System) is different as well, and the modern world now uses the SI system, not the metric.

Thank you all for your time. This has been the anal retentative ION Veteran, bringing you in the latest news of proper terms and definitions.

Continue with your lives now.

(Don't flame me :D)

[WZ]divine
29th Aug 2003, 09:32
does any of this matter? - any one with half an apple for a brain can convert imperial measurments to metric.

Also i dont know what people saying that Imperial measurments are only used in the US are talking about as in the UK we use both. (metric officially but our road speeds are still imperial:confused: )

nicely cleared up [IS]XXX:)

BMKane
29th Aug 2003, 17:35
You'd be surprised how many americans can't convert anything from imperial into metric. I've even met a few who didn't know what a centimeter was :S

headbutt
30th Aug 2003, 11:07
Are you kidding? most americans can't identify england on a map. Anyway, it should all be metric by that time in the future if they want to make it realistic

[IS]XXX
30th Aug 2003, 16:34
Originally posted by headbutt
Are you kidding? most americans can't identify england on a map. Anyway, it should all be metric by that time in the future if they want to make it realistic

Gee, thanks for the generalization. Just maybe because you are from England or whatever (may be wrong), doesn't mean that most Americans can't identify England on a map. "metric by the time in the future [. . .] realistic". I'm not saying I'm for or against metric, but that is complete bull. How can you say "realistic" against something that hasn't happened yet? That's like saying, "Yeah, since I'm attending Harvard, it would be realistic that I be a multi-millionaire the minute I walk out of this school". Complete speculation.

BMKane
30th Aug 2003, 17:24
That's true, but it does seem quite likely that the U.S. will eventually switch to Metric. The rest of the world uses it, and it is a much easier system to learn and use.

Oh, and, in my experiance, Americans who use the internet a lot are much less self-centered than those who don't. Gamers and such usually know a fair amount about other countries, whereas people you just meet on the street think "Canadia" is the 53rd state :P

Catman
30th Aug 2003, 18:08
I think there's enough stupidity in the world for each country to have an equal share. Those who post here, by and large, are the exception. ;)

[IS]XXX
30th Aug 2003, 18:11
Originally posted by BMKane
That's true, but it does seem quite likely that the U.S. will eventually switch to Metric. The rest of the world uses it, and it is a much easier system to learn and use.

In that case, you would say "it is quite likely that the US will be using metric...", not "it would be REALISTIC". That makes you sound like an arrogant idiot, that thinks you can predict the future :rolleyes:

Realistic is to describe the past or present, not the future.

W.C. Duck
7th Sep 2003, 20:30
I just cannot believe this thread got it's 3 pages!
and now I'm participating in it myself!

is there anybody who actually gives a whatever about whether they use the metric or any of the other systems?:eek: :eek: :confused:

Foten
7th Sep 2003, 21:09
This is the stupidest gadam thread i have ever seen!:rolleyes:

Sajentine
7th Sep 2003, 21:58
Originally posted by [IS]XXX
Just to clear it up, the Imperial system is for the UK only. The American system is the Customary system. Yes, there is a difference.

In addition, the Metric system and the SI (International System) is different as well, and the modern world now uses the SI system, not the metric.

As far as I'm aware the there is no such thing called the "customary system". The U.S. uses the imperial system, just like almost every other country used to.

Here is a quote from the U.S Metric Association "SI is also called the modern metric system. The process of changing measurement units to the metric system (i.e. SI) is called metric transition or metrication. "

and another:

"Question: We have a perfectly good measuring system, so why does the USA have to change to using the metric system?

Answer: We are living in a metric world where just about every country, except the USA, uses the metric system, and other countries are now telling us that they don't want to buy some of the products manufactured by U.S. companies if they aren't made to metric sizes (and if they aren't labeled in metric units). Many European Union (EU) countries, which have been good customers of U.S. companies, don't allow products into their countries unless they are made to metric system standards. We must operate in the world marketplace, and we can't stay competitive if we don't provide metric goods. With 99% of the rest of the world using metric, there is no chance we can persuade them to use our inches and pounds. "

What the U.S. is doing about metric.....

"The Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988, amended and strengthened the Metric Conversion Act of 1975, designating the SI metric system as the preferred measurement system for the United States. Congress thereby mandates that the government make a transition to metric system usage. In addition, Executive Order 12770, Metric Usage in Federal Government Programs directs all executive departments and federal agencies to implement the use of the metric system. Government agencies are in the process of making this changeover to metric measurements, but it is anticipated that it will take a number of years before all federal government operations will be entirely metric. State and local governments will be required to use metric units in transactions with the federal government, therefore should be taking steps to convert. "

And so those who said that the U.S would most likely be metricated by that time were correct, because if you actually do some research you will find that there is a move towards metrification in the U.S. or standardisation for a global econonomy.

Regards Sajentine:rolleyes:

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
8th Sep 2003, 07:56
And so those who said that the U.S would most likely be metricated by that time were correct, because if you actually do some research you will find that there is a move towards metrification in the U.S. or standardisation for a global econonomy.

yes, It may even be completed SEVERAL years before the year the game takes place.

after all, a century ago, french and english governments where battling over which meridian would be meridian 0 (Paris or Greenwich), and UK won, on the condition England would adopt metric system. That was a century ago, and I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) the decreet has passed only one or two years ago...

let's hope it will take less time in the US