PDA

View Full Version : Coolest mission?!?!?!

operative x
26th Aug 2003, 04:04
What would be the coolest type of mission for a game. Like kidnaping someong from an heavely guarded building or getting secret files from some research facility. What do you think would be a cool mission?!?!?!?

PDenton
26th Aug 2003, 07:58
The kidnapping one sounds quite interesting. we didn't have one of those in DX. However there were ones where you had to steal data from a computer (the rom encoding for the dragon tooth). :p

I think an interedting one would be to find disarm a bomb in a residential area. You'd have a timer and you have to find who has the code to deactivate it, etc... :D

[WZ]divine
26th Aug 2003, 09:13
....or just chuck an emp nade at it:D

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
26th Aug 2003, 11:30
The kidnapping one sounds quite interesting. we didn't have one of those in DX.

at least not as the kidnapper.

agent008
26th Aug 2003, 13:33
hmm an intresing mission would be to steal something from a highly guarded building and a whole lot of guards and machines go after you and the weapon you stole you can use on them like in terminator 2 in that science building:eek:

agent008
26th Aug 2003, 13:36
lol we all seem to like misions with exreme pressure on you to accomplish

i like the mission in dx where you get caught and you get to sneak by those two big robots and go in to that weapon room to get your weapons back and additional ammo and weapons

stealth missions are nice

cball05
26th Aug 2003, 14:30
Originally posted by PDenton
I think an interedting one would be to find disarm a bomb in a residential area. You'd have a timer and you have to find who has the code to deactivate it, etc... :D

What would be cool is that if you DIDN'T deactivate it in time the game would branch and allow you to continue - if you could handle having a city on your conscience, that is :p

agent008
26th Aug 2003, 14:40
lol:eek:

D_Vader128
26th Aug 2003, 20:03
How about a level where Alex can somehow take flight (Aug or Jetpack?) This would be really cool in an inner-city environment where you could fly from one skyscraper to another. You could find some good places to spy from, get access to rooftops. Of course there would have to be a limited fuel supply so you'd have to plan your 'flights'. I can't think of another game that's done this from the top of my head..?

DarkPhoenix
27th Aug 2003, 03:14
How about actually piloting (through either a computer console or in reality) a military bot? While they had an option to make one "good" in DX, it was for such a short time, and it was only a security bot.

Deus (Seraph)
27th Aug 2003, 10:05
If I can trust my eyes this is actually built in - in the german "Gamestar" preview of Deus Ex 2 the player takes a special shot at a bot, then hides, and short after that you are walking in black and white sight steering the bot how you like.
Spying or causing havoc - it's up to you ;-)

hakselsen
27th Aug 2003, 12:23
I would love a mission where you are in a team of two or three agents, and you have to communicate via infolink to get the job done. You have to syncronize your action, and maybe you'll discover something which makes you turn on the others, etc.

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 13:51
another lol:cool:

i read some where that there are these bots that can heal you and guard you like turrets i seen it in a screenshot

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
27th Aug 2003, 13:59
I would love a mission where you are in a team of two or three agents, and you have to communicate via infolink to get the job done. You have to syncronize your action

a co-op mod, in other words

, and maybe you'll discover something which makes you turn on the others, etc.

that would give a fun twist to co-op

Machinax
27th Aug 2003, 14:36
I love sniping missions. When you have to infiltrate the NSF Warehouse in Hell's Kitchen, I can take down all six or seven of the NSF on the rooftops.

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 14:48
o yea good o sniping i love sniping when i have too much goods on me and i forget to save and i dont want to take any hits from anyone:eek:

Seoulstriker
28th Aug 2003, 00:22
the one mission that really stuck with me was escape from MJ12 under UNATCO.

first, you know that everyone else knows that you side with the terrorists.

second, you break out from prison and kill/incapacitate the people you tried to protect.

third, you need to visit your brother whom you left at the hotel after the MJ12 troops came in.

fourth, you must trust a strange being that allowed you to escape.

fifth, you lost all your weapons and need to start from scratch (until you recover them later).

sixth and most important: you must kill anna navarre (you never trusted her and you hated her... now you can act).

Seoulstriker
28th Aug 2003, 00:24
just thinking about Deus Ex 1...

the opportunity to reunite with all of your friends in Hong Kong was fantastic! you meet tracer tong, the medical guy, the tech guy, your brother (i think...). man, those were some awesome times.

agent008
28th Aug 2003, 13:13
o yea the good old meetings;)

Outcast
28th Aug 2003, 14:10
All your suggested missions seem to be filled with an FPS flair, not a roleplaying one. Though I'll admit descriptions are vague, I'd like to put emphasis on all the other stuff possible to do.

Like, the warehouse mission was not necessarily a sniping mission. I jumped from rooftop to rooftop stealthily, only taking out enemies at close range. I crept through alleyways, using a single bullet on a LAM instead of wasting several on dogs and terrorists. I used distractions to sneak on by. I used an assault rifle to its best extent. (Not to mention later games with GEP guns and shotguns.) It was only on my third walk through that I removed my scope-enhanced pistol. (Rifles are for chumps.) There were many, many, many ways through that level.

Now, to play on one of your suggestions. The level where you have to work with other agents is a good idea, but the word "have" ruins the fun of it. Perhaps one of the agent is doing something wrong, and thus jeopardizing the mission. You're faced with a very ethical decision: kill him and uncomplicate the matter, but risk exposure later? If you choose that route, the rest of the game you may have to play an all or nothing game, where you must intercept video camera surveillance and such before it can reach the proper authorities, which, if you're caught in teh process of, screws you over anyway.

Or, perhaps, you turn the other cheek and let him proceed, and if it screws up, let him take the heat. But, in doing so, you are putting yourself, and hostages or cargo or data (didn't think that far ahead) at risk, and you will fail the mission. And, this is a shady fellow: he could pin the blame on you.

Or, you can incapacitate him. Seems good: the mission will be a piece of cake, he isn't dead, your superiors will probably blame him for having to bring you to such a level. But, then, you make yourself an enemy. Covering fire cannot be trusted, you wonder if the combat knife he's carrying at his side is actually intended for the enemy. Life generally gets a bit trickier.

And, maybe, negotiation, or, more specifically, blackmail? Perhaps while at HQ, you find something incriminating. Perhaps it is something better not viewed by the public? Perhaps that something might convince a person to follow your every command? But only might. Say your words incorrectly, and he'll continue anyway, but now you have an enemy as well. Say them well, and you have a virtual slave. He can't kill you, because the guy on the other end of the infolink speaks up. He can't kill him, because you speak up. But still, he can't be trusted indefinitely.

Once he's done his mission-wrecking business, stealthily undo it before it can take effect.

Blast your way into the hostage situation, and hope you get more than you lose.

Help do it his way.

And many, many more.

And, a twist: what if his way was the optimal one?

agent008
28th Aug 2003, 14:27
wow you guys should work for the entertainment industry intresting ideas you have bravo;)

DarkPhoenix
28th Aug 2003, 17:03
Interesting stuff, Outcast. Here's another idea I had, one more RPG than FPS. Suppose, after your first few successful missions, you have to train another agent, not quite like the training missions in DX 1, but close. Maybe this would culminate in a mission sort of like the Statue mission, where you send him in alone and monitor his progress. Being his training officer, you would offer feedback to determine his readiness for full time deployment. You would have a lot of influence on a future member of the organization, whatever that may be, who could be your man on the inside if you have to leave, or possibly a bitter rival.

dirigimaster
29th Aug 2003, 01:16
Originally posted by PDenton
The kidnapping one sounds quite interesting. we didn't have one of those in DX. However there were ones where you had to steal data from a computer (the rom encoding for the dragon tooth). :p

I won't be satisfied with computer interaction ingame until I have to search through the computer for what I'm looking for. Or just shoot the computer and steal the HD.

Skul-Gun
29th Aug 2003, 01:29
Excellent ideas outcast. most of the missions in dx only had 3 or 4 ways of handling the situation. congrats.

Your ideas reminded me of Alias, the double agent series with Jennifer Garner. Which also got me thinking. Wouldn't it have been great if you got to do some more double agent missions before switching sides fully?

For example, you would recieve orders from manderley, then some counter orders from Paul after you inform him of the situation. With Gunther looking over your shoulder, you would then have many options:

carry out manderley's orders completely, then answer to Paul, possibly risking complete hostility from the nsf and having to kill paul. Or on the other hand, being able to explain yourself and having a shot at the next mission.

carry out Paul's orders without subtlety, get attacked by gunther and completely change sides to the nsf.

carry out Paul's orders secretly, while trying to deal with an unpredictable gunther, who may notice you, or may simply notice that something is wrong/changed, then change his tactics, forcing you to think fast in order to not let him find out, or simply to not fail your nsf mission as gunther's actions could be indirectly stopping you from completing your mission. results including incapacitate/kill gunther, more quick thinking, go along with the original orders accepting the fact that the countermission was made impossible by gunther, or simply change sides, shooting all unatco and using whatever means to complete Paul's mission.

completely fail the mission, thus having to answer to both sides.

Just watch any episode of Alias, you'll see how any of Sydney's missions can inspire a great deus ex mission.

Outcast
29th Aug 2003, 12:19
The original game did have lots of ways, because, of course, there can only be so many ways to achieve an ultimate goal, sometimes only one, but the way you actually did it was the real fun. (The warehouse, one of my obvious favorites, could only be accomplished by blowing it up or shutting it down with the computer, but I already mentioned the myriad ways to reach a vantage to achieve either.) I'm sure that my mission could only be ultimately accomplished in one of a few ways: rescue the hostages, or let them be killed. (Never diss the original, at least until we see how great the sequel is.)

Oh, and there would probably be a lot of item and aug (I live in the past) related stuff. Like, certain things, such as stealthily undoing the action before it can take effect, might require a lockpick (or several) or a certain type of biomod.

And kudos on your own work, Skul. I watch Alias at my leisure. :)