PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 or Deus Ex 2?

Lach
25th Aug 2003, 22:42
What a stupid question..... DEUS EX 2 :D!

Sense
25th Aug 2003, 23:29
If I didnt have to upgrade both... If I do upgrade, definitely HL2.

AlteredGlyph
25th Aug 2003, 23:29
I'll definately favor DX2 over HL2 in my pre-opinions, but HL2 does look pretty sweet:D

Lawnboy360
25th Aug 2003, 23:42
DXIW.
The HL2 technology is very impressing, but it's still only a shooter (I have no interest in those anymore), and from what I saw in the 23 min E3 video, it's pretty linear. And it seems pretty scripted too, even if the scripts are in fact "physics" instead of real scripting. Physics don't seem to be used to create multiple solution as I would like. (example : the traps in traptown. The physics take care of knowing that the blade going through the zombie kills it instead of having an invisible damage mesh covering the blades to kill zombies when they reach it, but the result is the same. Understand what I mean?)

Sense
25th Aug 2003, 23:51
Lawnboy, I agree... Hl2 the actual game will more than likely be **** compared to dx:IW, but the mods will make up for it...

Lawnboy360
25th Aug 2003, 23:56
but the mods will make up for it...

I certainly hope so.
With the ability to render big city scenes and with this facial animation stuff, this could make for some nice open-ended RPGs mods.

Random
26th Aug 2003, 00:15
DX2, definately. DX2 using the same physics as HL2, by the way, so I find it strange that people use physics as a reason for favouring HL2 ...

exo
26th Aug 2003, 01:21
umm... both?

HL2 has more potential for replayability with its mods.

Deus Ex 2 will not have a lot of replayability in the same format as HL2 but you will be able to play it through differently choosing different skills and making different choices.

but in the end I believe those of us who buy both games will end up logging a lot more hours on HL2 itself and HL2 mods as well, because that engine is so goddamn sweet.

{RainmakeR}
26th Aug 2003, 01:23
DX2, for sure. I'm sure that I'll enjoy HL2 quite a deal, it's just that it (most likely) won't have that same "whole big world to explore" immersive nature that DX has. Plus I'm sure the DX2 story is MUCH more deep than HL2's.

PDenton
26th Aug 2003, 08:11
If DX:IW is half as good as the original it will be the better. The mods in HL2 may give it more re-play value, but IW will actually be more interesting to play. Besides IW meant to have lots of side quests so you can re-play it.

exo
26th Aug 2003, 08:53
It all depends on how you view a successful game.

By how long you play it, or by the experience it offers you.

Length wise, hl2 you'll play and be able to get a kick out of it for years if it's anything like it's predecessor.

Deus Ex IW will be cool as hell and hopefully be one of those games that you'll have one of those moments and say, this is why I play games, it's **** like this that's really f'n cool.

Minus the cursing depending on your generation of course. :)

HL2 may have some of the experience that deus ex will offer you, but nowhere near the complexity/plot/content.

I still say both in any case. :)

severijn
26th Aug 2003, 09:20
The answer is simple: buy them both. They are both excellent games.
If I have to choose however, I'll choose hl² because of the mod community and multiplayer.

DarkForge
26th Aug 2003, 10:32
Neither

Until the prices drop, that is! :D

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
26th Aug 2003, 11:26
POSTAL 3!!!!

/me explodes in tiny pieces

ok, ok, DX:IW

Catman
26th Aug 2003, 13:18
Actually, I'll go for DX:IW and Thief III.

And I'll probably pick up HL2 somewhere along the way.

agent008
26th Aug 2003, 13:30
hay i got an idea why dont we buy all the games coming out we might enjoy them

i not sure if i wanna get
hl2 (and)or dx2 someone has to entise me

i played dx and hl and hl: op but i was not that happy over those games:(

can someone entise me to get dx2 and hl2? i might get dx2 but hl2 hmm:confused:

nave
26th Aug 2003, 15:52
if you didn't like either of the pre decessors there is something wrong with you. and from what ive seen the gameplay and visuals in both sequals will both make me very horny, wooo:D :cool:

Lach
26th Aug 2003, 19:08
Originally posted by agent008
hay i got an idea why dont we buy all the games coming out we might enjoy them

i not sure if i wanna get
hl2 (and)or dx2 someone has to entise me

i played dx and hl and hl: op but i was not that happy over those games:(

can someone entise me to get dx2 and hl2? i might get dx2 but hl2 hmm:confused:

HL and DX were unquestionably 2 of the greatest games ever made-if you dont buy both the day they hit the shelves your not a gamer!

mikepayne666
26th Aug 2003, 19:17
dx2!!!! hell ya!!

exo
26th Aug 2003, 19:40
UXO looks mighty fine as well ;(

mikepayne666
26th Aug 2003, 19:44
uxo?!?!?

Deus (Seraph)
26th Aug 2003, 19:51
@Lach
Why I am not a gamer because I do not buy some specific game the day it is avaiable?? Are you informed that there are billions of games going round? I tried Half Life 2 once, it was nice, but it was linear - very linear if you understand me - if a game just gives me the option to shoot or to die, than I don't need it - I've got plenty of that - and just one hell of graphics can't convince me to it.

mikepayne666
26th Aug 2003, 19:53
yeah ur right HL is all shoot die, but thats what makes deus ex its own game!!

D_Vader128
26th Aug 2003, 20:05
I never played Half-life, it gave me motion sickness after 5 minutes. I hear it's very good though. I loved DX to bits so for me it has to be DX2

grayswandir
26th Aug 2003, 23:23
okay, half life was fun
but it s a first person shooter

I think deus Ex is more a RPG, isn't it?
and i hope DX:IW will be more rpg, with more alternatives, option ,and a great story

okay, concerning the graphic technologies, HL² is gone to be far better i think... but I don't play a game just for the graphic part...
Otherwise I would't keep playnig Deus Ex or freespace 2

nave
27th Aug 2003, 01:57
if you have seen the E3 half life 2 video surely you would agree that half life 2 wont be souly about its graphics engine. jumping into dune buggys, driving around like a crazy man, and fighting flying AI. sold

TheDerf
27th Aug 2003, 02:23
I'll tell you my solution to this predicament:

Deus Ex 2 first, Half-life 2 next.

I have a feeling HL2 is gonna be one great game for multiplayer modifications, and the single player is gonna be something new brought to the table, but I'm in love with Deus Ex and thus, in love with the sequel.

Instead of shooting however many guns he knows how to operate by magic, let's see Gordon Freeman pick up a basketball!mad:

DarkPhoenix
27th Aug 2003, 03:03
Without question, DX: IW. While I'm sure HL 2 will be an excellent game, it had somewhere between little or no plot. It would not have survived as long as it had without the mods, specifically Counterstrike. Mods are an important feature of any PC game (it's what separates them from console games), but without Counterstrike, I doubt anyone would still play HL at all and the sequel might not even be considered.

exo
27th Aug 2003, 03:30
Originally posted by TheDerf
I'll tell you my solution to this predicament:

Deus Ex 2 first, Half-life 2 next.

I have a feeling HL2 is gonna be one great game for multiplayer modifications, and the single player is gonna be something new brought to the table, but I'm in love with Deus Ex and thus, in love with the sequel.

Instead of shooting however many guns he knows how to operate by magic, let's see Gordon Freeman pick up a basketball!mad:

HAHHAHA you're gonna be waiting a long time friend.

HL2 is coming out Sept. 30. Deus Ex IW won't be coming out til at least around christmas if it were even to appear in the year 2003. The x-box impressions show that the x-box version is not optimized, and if we all know microsoft, they probably demanded rights that the x-box version would come out MONTHS before the pc version.

You see an x-box version out right now? No. It's very likely Deus Ex 2 is a 2004 q1 release.

HL2 on the other hand is within arms distance at the end of sept.

So you go ahead and wait your half a year while I'll be playing HL2.

It's not about waiting, it's about which I can get my hands on first. I'll play both but HL2 is coming out first. DXIW ain't coming out for at least 5 months from now.

exo
27th Aug 2003, 03:40
Originally posted by DarkPhoenix
Without question, DX: IW. While I'm sure HL 2 will be an excellent game, it had somewhere between little or no plot. It would not have survived as long as it had without the mods, specifically Counterstrike. Mods are an important feature of any PC game (it's what separates them from console games), but without Counterstrike, I doubt anyone would still play HL at all and the sequel might not even be considered.

Um the reason HL the single player was considered a hit is because compared to every other fps game, it had a lot of plot. I'm sure you're qualified to say everyone who gave HL itself an award (about over 50+ if not 60+ awards) wouldn't know a story from a pile of dog ****, but realize at the time, fps's consisted of story handicapped games like doom and quake, without HL fps's wouldn't have been forced to have actual scripted scenes, events or plots, even an npc or two. Dozens upon dozens of events, a betrayal. Compared to an rpg it's lite in , but it definitely was a lot more fun than your standard action movie for sure. The main character was a geek, which also drew a lot of people to like the character. Not some arnold, duke nukem(SUCKITDOWN), spikey haired anime dude.

The mods did keep it alive. The fact that they supported the game with dozens of patches years after it's introduction is a testament that they give a damn about their game and the community. They also recognize those who do well wonders with what they created eg. hired several map makers and the cs-mod team.

I'm not saying this game is better than that game. Deus Ex is an rpg. HL2 is not. Might as well say this sci-fi action movie is noway as interesting and deep as the godfather.

James Warren
27th Aug 2003, 04:14
Half life next versus Deus Ex next?! Shall I, in my total ignorance, compare my loves for completed Christmas games? Yes, let me count the ways!
1. As a consumer product I am going to get both. I will wager that most who get DX2 will also get HL2. Assuming, of course, that they have a PC or that HL2 comes out for Xbox. This, then, is a draw with no points awarded.
2. In the presentation of a virtual world for open mouthed exploration I am going to guess that the source engine will give HL2 a slight advantage in fully turned up rendering ability and also in the ability to scale rendering back for playability on the various 486 upgrades mentioned in the convention video. I award DX2 half a point and HL2 1 point.
3. As a vehicle for interactive fiction (player derived plot development) I can not count HL2 out of the running here. No, even though there will probably be no conversation boxes to force plot choices upon Gordon (who doesn't even speak) the way choices are forced upon the player in Deus Ex ("Hey bro, want this MAN's Gep gun to actually DEFEAT the enemy or this weeny dart gun for slack jawed sissys?"), there could still be plot choices made in some way in HL2. "Oh, Gordon, you strong silent man kiss me on the right cheek if you think we should go right or on the left cheek if we should go left or on the tukus if we should go back!," she says assuming the posture of an crippled nymph. No? Well, ok, maybe Gordon will choose plot development from various computer screens, "Press 1 if you want to open the gates of Hell, 2 if you want the second coming or 3 if you want to get even with all your Xs in Texas." No? OK, you're probably right. I award 5 points to DX2 and half a point to HL2.
4. As a development package for interactive PC mods I HAVE to give the nod to HL2. What ever plot choice devices are in DX2 could be added to the source engine and the first DX2 mod could be made with the source engine. Not too likely but it could happen. I award 5 points to HL2 and 2 points to DX2.

DX2 0, .5, 5,2 = 7.5 points
HL2 0, 1, .5,5 = 6.5 points
:D

Random
27th Aug 2003, 04:30
Originally posted by exo
HAHHAHA you're gonna be waiting a long time friend.

HL2 is coming out Sept. 30. Deus Ex IW won't be coming out til at least around christmas if it were even to appear in the year 2003. The x-box impressions show that the x-box version is not optimized, and if we all know microsoft, they probably demanded rights that the x-box version would come out MONTHS before the pc version.

I think he meant that if they came out at the same time, DX2 would be a priority. I think that's what everyone here means, because it looks like HL2 will be released first.

Where are you getting this idea that DX2 will be a Xbox exclusive for several months? I have seen nothing to suggest this. HL2 will also be released on Xbox, but Microsoft haven't requested an exclusive for that.

Picasso
27th Aug 2003, 06:12
The devs have said many times that the two versions will be released simultaneously, or as close together as possible. I don't know what makes you think it'll be an Xbox exclusive first.

Additionally, a few weeks ago, OneEye (Bill Money, DX2's producer) shot down that rumor that it was being delayed until 2004. So again, I don't know where you're getting this from.

The best info we have on DX2's release date is the official word from E3, that it'll probably be sometime around October. Incidentally, I know many people (who keep far better track of it than I do) who are confident that HL2 will not make its Sept. 30th release date. I certainly can't say which game will be out first, and neither can you.

xurvivor
27th Aug 2003, 07:40
stupid question simply both

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 14:13
half life is a short type of shooter game but this hl 2 seem way different from the forst one. it seems like you will be going around the world working with team mates and i cat believe gordon worked for that guy g man or what ever

i know there was a funny mod they made where gordon does missions for the g man it was made by a company called: mavrick

MR X
27th Aug 2003, 23:34
Technologically, hl2 will probably be better. But when it comes to quality game and immersion, I'm betting on deus ex2 to knock the pants off of hl2. When I played hl1, I found it incredibly boring after the first 10 minutes. It was repetitive, and not very engaging after the "introduction" events. I finally gave up from boredom. Maybe theres something amazingly fun if you don't mind being bored for a few hours, but deus ex, on the other hand, NEVER had me bored. I always had motivation to keep going not because "it might get fun" but because it WAS fun. Therefore I have much higher expectations from the creators of deus ex than the creators of hl2.

DarkPhoenix
27th Aug 2003, 23:56
Originally posted by exo
[
I'm not saying this game is better than that game. Deus Ex is an rpg. HL2 is not. Might as well say this sci-fi action movie is noway as interesting and deep as the godfather. [/B]

I apologize if my post offended you. But the purpose of this thread, after all, is to compare the two games. I am stating that I would not likely buy HL 2 because it lacks sufficient plot for my tastes. There are FPS with far superior story lines (the Metal Gear Solid series to name a couple). I'm not saying I didn't enjoy both games. I enjoyed Unreal Tournament immensely, and that game makes Half-Life look like War and Peace. To its credit, Half Life was the first game I ever played (maybe ever) to use efficient squad tactics in its AI. I still stick to my statments, however.

Dancimanci
28th Aug 2003, 00:04
Both at the same time.

I saw every Hl2 movie and it's phisics is nearly unbeatable(cause i didn't see a Dx movie instead of the intro)
,but Invisible War's non-linearity,and story is what makes it the best.

I was wondering....if the original Dx intro used the game's engine,will IW look like that(in it's intro)????
If it will be......OH SWEET GRANDMA' :D

Lawnboy360
28th Aug 2003, 00:17
There are FPS with far superior story lines (the Metal Gear Solid series to name a couple).

FPS = first-person shooter. AFAIK MGS isn't first-person, at least most of the time. Call them shooters or action games ;) .

I was wondering....if the original Dx intro used the game's engine,will IW look like that(in it's intro)????

No, because this intro doesn't use the game engine, as Warcraft3's intro doesn't use its engine.

DarkPhoenix
28th Aug 2003, 00:29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lawnboy360
[B]FPS = first-person shooter. AFAIK MGS isn't first-person, at least most of the time. Call them shooters or action games ;) .

Point well taken. If I'm going to split hairs, everyone else may as well ;). However, my point was that there are other action games with better stories. But if we are defining the genre dicussed as action, Deus Ex is still superior. As for actual FPS games that have better/more engaging stories, Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon, No One Lives Forever all fill the bill. Just because it's an FPS doesn't mean the story has to be thin.

BTW, I can see how people get addicted to bulletin boards. This discussion could easily last forever, and I have the feeling we are both too stubborn to concede anything. Such is life.

Mr.Kill
28th Aug 2003, 01:45
both

JC-Scourge
30th Aug 2003, 06:13
I will probably be forced to HL2 just so i can still attend lan parties. but im not looking forward to it.

there was something about DX when it came out, there was nothing else like it. there was freedom, intrigue, action. some of the characters in DX are my best friends, they were always there and they were like real people. i could never view another game as i view deus ex, or its sequal.

so my vote is for dx2, gordan freeman is just a loser and half life is just stupid. there are good guys. there are bad guys. the good guys are always good guys and the bad guys are always bad guys. no middle ground and no life, the people are just actors letting the gamer watcha movie. and they are bad actors too.

i just cant wait to go buy dx2 and meet up with JC, that'll be sweet

Godwin
30th Aug 2003, 10:08
HL2 could really match up to DXIW if it turns out to be more 'free' and offer more RPG elements in it. games today are so geared towards realism, i dont see why with those graphics the gameplay also shouldnt be realistic. HL has a really good scifi story and ought to be better executed. but these 2 games are really completely different genres and appeal to whole different crowds. i will be buying both HL2 and DXIW, the former for the mere stunning graphics and potential it carriers, and the latter simply because i loved the first game

Mr.Kill
31st Aug 2003, 18:52
but if hl2 offered rpg elements then it would be...well....an rpg?

BMKane
31st Aug 2003, 21:54
It's kind of annoying when people say HL had no plot. When Half-Life came out, it had the greatest plot of any game of its time, and more importantly, it executed the plot perfectly. Nowadays, 5 or so years later, there are a lot of games with better plots, but that's because Half-Life inspired developers to make them. Half-Life 2 will probably have just as good a plot as any other game, probably better, and it'll be executed just as well as the first. Not only that, but we get to learn about the G-Man, and that's something noone can pass up :)

Now, saying that, Deus Ex 2 will be just as good. I like comparing games to books, and in that sense, Half-Life is like a Harry Potter book, and DX2 is like a Robert Ludlum book. HL is a good mix of action, humor, and story. DX has layers upon layers of intrigue and extremely complex plot.

I'm getting them as they're released, myself, but I'll probably play HL2 more. Partly because of the mods, and partly because I love HL :)

rynorunner
31st Aug 2003, 21:56
there both good games but ill have to go with DX:IW cause of a way better storyline:D :D :D :D

Lawnboy360
1st Sep 2003, 00:30
When Half-Life came out, it had the greatest plot of any game of its time

You mean any *shooter* of its time. There was plenty of adventure, or rpg games with excellent stories years before HL came out.

Mr.Kill
1st Sep 2003, 15:52
maybe developers are running out of original ideas or the ones they think of are already taken.

they are also trying to use old ideas and spice them up a little. like deathmatch in ut2003, it has mutators and stuff to make it different.

W.C. Duck
1st Sep 2003, 17:11
originally posted by Godwin
HL has a really good scifi story

HAHAHA! good one!

give me a break, will you?

AlteredGlyph
1st Sep 2003, 17:15
Actually, Duck, if you actually played it, you would know that it has an awesome story, or what you can get of it in the first game. You get a lot more story in the expansions, but the story in the first game was intriguing, what with everything. HL had a good story.

Torvalds
1st Sep 2003, 17:17
Hl or DX 2 ? :) I think DX 2 looks better, but Doom 3 will own ;)

W.C. Duck
1st Sep 2003, 17:38
Actually, Glyph, I *have* played it.
I didn't say HL was a bad game, nor that I didn't enjoy playing it.
in fact HL is one of the best games I ever played.

good graphics
thrilling action
great level-design
phenomenal atmosphere
exciting gameplay

but not a good story. I mean, come on: scientists screw up, aliens break free, hero trapped. that story isn't good (when I say 'good', I mean 'original') since Frankenstein.

exo
1st Sep 2003, 19:51
ummm

hero trapped, betrayed when within arms reach of escape, blacklisted and on the list to be killed by spec ops team, goes to the source of the xenomorph threat and kills it. If you only like games that have original story you probably find it hard to like story or movie then.

Half-life was a milestone. It's also 5years old. Compared to now its story is nothing compared to the games that come out now.

If it wasn't for Half-Life games the bar would never have been raised.

At that point in time the neatest event was quake 2's event where pushing a button made an entire structure move into place to form a bridge. Back then that was a BIG THING. Then Half-Life came out and did things proper with the engine. The game changed the industry simply by combining events that conveyed a story proper that was damn well done and the first to use many many events and think that maybe all npc's aren't people you're supposed to shoot, but we're not here to talk about the first HL.

HL2 will have a blazing story. I liked the story for HL and think of it as well done. If HL2 is anything like it with even better events, it definitely will not be bad. Of course it won't have a vastly in-depth story like Deus Ex IW. They are 2 different games. One is RPG, one is Action. To compare either is stupid because it's the age old, apples to oranges.

Setting a standard though, I'll be playing Half-Life 2 for a lot longer than Deus Ex IW, BUT what Deus Ex IW has to offer isn't game length but a stirring story with choices, abilities that you will never see in any other game, a world with aching detail that emulates a fully populated one.

I'll add anyone who said the HL2 engine is nothing compared to Unreal Warfare engine knows NOTHING.

KiwiOz
2nd Sep 2003, 00:31
Are you kidding? About the story plot for half life? There is none, and no its not original even taken into account the time period that it came out....

The exact same year, or very closely after it System Shock 2 came out, yes it was more RPG than Half Life but come on, to say that Half Life took the quantam leap would be like saying Mission Impossible 2 was as ground breaking as The Matrix. Maybe in some way for the multitude of gamers who JUST played FPS then it was a revolutionary breakthrough but to attribute it to story, come on....

The graphics were good, the character was nice, the NPC's were an added touch and it did have a brilliant flare to it. It was the best FPS on the market at the time and allowed for increased innovation but compared to even the Original System Shock it was really lacking in the story department.

HL is a good game, brilliant for the time but to atribute all that to a revolutionary storyline and that was what made it better than the rest is just naive. The rest of the game is what made it brilliant, not the story. DX has a story, a brilliant and weaving story but to compare DX and HL's story you must be crazy. Graphics, yes, Interactivity, yes, Options available to character, maybe, Story, NO, definately NOT....

exo
2nd Sep 2003, 00:34
See this is where people go off track.

The story itself is by no means great. By no means a COMPLETE fresh idea.

It's the way the story was presented that made it a hit because it was the first to ever present it in that way.

Get it straight.

override367
2nd Sep 2003, 08:23
I liked the tacky scifi plot, cuz I got to go through seeing it with my own eyes (actually, Gordon's). Sure we see movies with better plots than this as weekly specials on the scifi channel, but what was the first game that slapped you in the shoes of the mild-mannered egghead turned rambo? Half-Life! that's right!

It was presented well, and the intro where you are unarmed and just reporting for duty, that was frickin groundbreaking in 1998!

Then the whole alien invasion thing, and the part where the marines show up and start mopping up the scientists, that was frickin cool!

No it didn't make me go "HOLY **** THAT'S AWESOME!" like the D-Day level in MOHAA (the same feeling made me really want Call of Duty after playing the amazing demo earlier today), or make me revel in delight as I finished fallout 2 without having fired a single shot, but fallout 2 is an rpg, and Mohaa came much later.

Fact is it's easy to criticize half-life now but if you doubt how good it was (incase you've forgotten) try to find any gaming magazines around the time it came out, it will be on their cover and/or listed as the best game of the year/all time.

Mr.Kill
2nd Sep 2003, 13:57
hl2 had a great story when it came out.

with the 2 add-ons, opposing force and blue shift, it changed the character u play and made it really twisted, in a cool way !

exo
2nd Sep 2003, 16:27
It's easy to criticize a game that's 5 years old.