PDA

View Full Version : What's Missing in TS2:

The Ogden Crew
24th Aug 2003, 16:34
==[What's missing in TS2]==
PLEASE IGNORE TYPO'S AND MISPELLINGS

a donation of thought and suggestions from the ogden crew
==========================================================
Nothing written here iscopywrighted by us and never will be. We simply hope that you will take these ideas that the group of us came up with into consideration to the creation of
TS3
==========================================================

(((((((((((((((((((==Weapons/Combat==)))))

-[Mideivle weapon set]

I think that by adding a mideivle weapon set would add a entirely new aspect to the gameplay. It would allow for a new type of melle combat that would add an entirely new dimension to the game. You could design a few charachters and skins of people in plate mail armor with hardly any ajility at all, then maby a few in chain mail armor, and a few feeble minded un-armored servants for variety as well as perhaps some plot. As for the weapons set, it could consist simply of a sword, a flail (a ball and chain), and a pike (really long ax). I've already thought some basic plans as to how some of these weapons operate in the game.
-The flail would be used in this way. the fire button, when held down, would swing it around and around let's say, clockwize, release the fire button would bring it to a stop, then pressing it again would sent it around counter-clockwize. thus giving you the ablilty to beat back and forth or just swing around like a mad man. The alt fire would raise a small wooden sheild into place, then you could use manual aim to manuver it into place if neccacary.
-The pike would be more dificult to program, i'm sure, but it would be well worth it. It would probably be better if you programmed this long, cumbersome weapon to not be allowed to travle through walls for obviouse reasons, so i've thought up these 2 solutions, simply have the pike majicly put in your fanny-pack-o-guns and whip out a different one when confronted with obstacles, or the more realistic, and difficult task of pressing the action button to drop, and pick up the pike so you can leave it where it lies and move on. The actual movement of attack would like this. withought pressing anything, the default position would be with the pike aimed in front of you, fully extended. the fire button, while held down, would have you bring back a few feet. Releasing the fire button would thrust the pike back into it's orriginal position, harming anyone in the metalic point's way. alt fire would swing it like an ax. the direction of the swinging (if only the alt fire button is pressed) would be randomly, back and forth unless they turn in a certain direction while the button is pressed, then it is swung in that direction. aiming down would bring it high into the air and cast it downward, my favorite part. I had another idea about the pike. Perhaps if the situation came, that a flail, a bullet, or anyhing hit the pike's woden shaft, after several hits, it would break in two and render it harmless.
-The sword and sheild would be much like any set of anygun (x2) you'd either have the option of using both, or one. You could either use both sword and sheild, or just the sword. The only difference would be the blocking, and the speed of the blade weilded by two hands rather than one. In both cases fire would be swing, and alt-fire would be block. The sword only approach to blocking would be somewhat more difficult, but yet again, i have an idea. holding in alt fire would raise the sword to a convenient place to block, depending on if the weilder had just swung one way or the other, then they would manual aim, left, right, or up, in order to raise the sword to either direction diagonaly (as if to block swing from left or right) then up would raise it in the air horisontaly, as if to block a downward slash. The swinging would be nearly as complicated. like the pike, if just the fire button is held, it will swing back and forth randomly, but when they turn in a direction, it will swing in that direction with one different feature. aiming upward while holding in fire button would unleash a forward thrust. but here's the icing on the cake, when you thrust and impale someone, you'll walk up to them as they grasp their stomach, place a foot on their chest, and yank the sword out of their now limp body that then tumbles backward from the pull.
-I've realized it would be slightly dull to just have a block and attack system, so i thought of some alternatives. With a sheild, if you walk directly up to them, then raise your sheild, it sould shove them back, giving you a chance to strike. and if both sword weilders swing the're swords at eachother and they collide in the middle, perhaps a button mashing struggle should begin. And in order to block a thrust, you must block from side to side in order to knock the sword to the side before it stabbs you. However, this could be made less tricky to block by animating the trust in a more anticapatable, exagerated motion.

-[Saumeri weaons set]

It would add alot of flavor and taste and wouldnt take much more work, all it would take is a few ninja skins, a katana (based on the same sword ideas from midevle gun set), some ninja stars, and perhaps a blow-gun (you could use the same arrow technique that you used for the crossbow) and if you feel up to it, a pair of sie (those three pointed daggar things that the chick on the movie dare-devil has). About the katana, it should'nt do much damage at all to a full plate-mailed soldier, but it should move very quickly.

-[Viking weapons set]

Just like the sameri set, all it would take is some new weapons modles and skins then you've got a whole new story level premmise. All you'd need is maby a mean lookin axe and sheild, then some ugly looking viking skins, a story level with plot, and the game would be that much longer and better. Or, you could throw the vikings into the mideivle plot and have them act as the villans you have to face... and the viking leader wears the time crystal as a neckles.

-[Ultra Sniper Gun]

Every multiplayer shooter should have what i call, and "omni-gun" which basicly owns all other guns with a few set backs. So basicly a bolt-action berret 50cal with bipod and scope. but you gatta make it extremely powerfull, and it's gatta have a ground rumbling, intimidating, scare the sh** out of you sound, Bolt-action with some time inbetween shots to recover from the blast, and a relitivily small magazine.

((((((((((((((((((==Arcade modes==))))))))

-[Team Spawn Points]

The only thing lacking in the game is the option of team spawnpoints. The only arcade mode in the entire game that is allowed that option is capture the flag (plus assault, but i'll talk about that later). I also understand that with the rising of team spawns, there rises the risk of camping in the enemy's spawn. but the way you gys had it layed out in TS2, i was afraid to stand anywhere near a spawnpoint knowing they're invincible and have enough time to kill, especially when one shot kills are on. Also, there was no stratagy left when everyone spawns randomly, leaving the game empty. I realize you dont want to add 6 arcade modes allowing the choice between teams, team spawns, and deathmatch, plus team spawns only work on capture the bag maps, so i've come up with a solution. In the menue where you chose what game mode, you should also allow to change the modes going right and left i.e changing deathmatch, to team deathmatch, to team deathmatch with spawnpoints. then go down to elimination, flip to the right and get team elimination, then again to get team elimination with spawnpoints. That mode alone would allow timesplitters to have the same strategic element that counter-strike (the most succesfull multi-player online game ever.) And team Zones with spawn areas would allow for great combat just like day of defeat (counter-strikes still pretty succesfull younger brother.) These strategic elements are still lacking in timesplitters 2, you cant even hold a small building whithout someone spawning behind you.
-An Alternate Solution
If your still afraid of people camping the enemy's spawn, but think that the strategic part sounds like a good idea, i have an alternate solution. You could add a mode called "Showdown" or something like that which actually is just like counter-strike, with team spawns, with no extra lives for anyone, and that completely eliminates the threat of killing people as they spawn because it isn't a problem if you never re-spawn. Just add an adjustable time-limit, and you'll attract all sorts of counter-strike junky's who already love timesplitters for it's graphic goodness and such.

-[Virus Suggestions]

The'res a spawning problem with virus on all maps. the problem, people with the virus spawn right next to you. The solution, either alow an option that keeps infected people from re-spawning at all, or have the infected spawn at a certain location or area that gives them some room to breathe i.e. On icetower map, they could spawn only in the tunnles, that way they could come out in many places, but they wont spawn everywhere you want to stay and hold and keep you constantly running because shooting them is pointless if you can out-run them. that ends up with you looking on your radar and just trying to stay away from the other dots. there are better games on atari.

-[Assault Suggestions]

Allow players to be on either defence or offence.

((((((((((((((((==Movement==))))))))))))

-[Acrobatics]

When i see the bots of the game diving, rolling, cartwheeling and such, I feel left out. There are a few buttons you have yet to use (like L3 & R3 on PS2) and possibly i'm wrong, but if ther'es any left on the other concol's paddles, why not give it a whirl.

-[Power-ups]

Timesplitters need's a jaw-dropping, equivelant of max payne's bullet time, you could possibly add bullet-time to the original 4 powerups, or if you wanted to keep the same 4 basic effects, you could simply replace "speed" with bullet time, and make the person that obtained the powerup maintain the same running speed, where as everyone else, and all bullets, come to an errie slow. It definetely would change alot of things, that's why on second thought you could have it as an unlockable cheat. another thing, if you decide to add it, durring the effect, you MUST have the music come to a stop, and have a monotone droning ambience noise play untill it wears off.

(((((((((((((((==Charachters==)))))))

-[Customizable Characters]

I think it would personalize the games characters if you were able to create your own. First, you create a name, then the type i.e. height, then body type, then mix and match clothing and color from the different eras. About the atributes, you could already set a base number already provided depending on body type, and if the're loaded with armor you could make the ajility hardly changable at all, wherea's if they've got a beer gut i.e Mr.Big, dont start them out with much adjility. The more kills your make, the more skill points you gain over time.

==================================================
That's all we could come up with at the moment, We hope that you at least glanced at these rediculouse ideas withought vomiting with rage and discust... and if we appease you, and you decide to adopt these ideas, please respond and tell us so we can provide our names for the special thanks or wherever you decide to put us on the credits.
==================================================

Vommiting in anticapation,

The Ogden Crew

the_internet_king
24th Aug 2003, 17:16
i quite liek the idea of swords and maces it could be kool to hit a zombies head off with a mace :D

The Ogden Crew
24th Aug 2003, 19:45
Name me one thing that WOULD'NT be fun to hit with a mace.
=P

Ryan, from
the ogden crew

The Ogden Crew
24th Aug 2003, 19:50
Is there anyone from Edios who views these forums, cause i think we might have some good ideas.... i know that's not for me to decide, but if anyone actually developing the game is reading any of this, please reply.

pleeeeeease,
The ogden Crew

Netslider
26th Aug 2003, 22:58
I think that one thing that is missing in the game is some hardcore music(I find those musics in the game really boring).

robofishzombie
27th Aug 2003, 02:01
Originally posted by the_internet_king
hit a zombies head off

Originally posted by The Ogden Crew
Name me one thing that WOULD'NT be fun to hit with a mace.

I can think of one...

Your own head.:p

AB-109
27th Aug 2003, 04:29
Netslider, how bout providing a link with your signature so we can support the open source appeal.

Ab ^_^

the_internet_king
27th Aug 2003, 10:12
i think the music in ts2 is great i belive the all heads detacheble cheat from timesplitters 1 should be back in ;D

Netslider
27th Aug 2003, 13:42
This the entire code for the signature, Ab:
[*img]http://www.dhama.co.uk/campaign.jpg[*/img]

Remove the "*" for it to work.

There is a topic about this campaign in the Tomb Raider Level Editor Forum.

And The Internet King, you say the musics are great, but wouldn't it be greater to play while listening musics from Slipknot, System Of A Down, Marilyn Manson, etc?

AB-109
27th Aug 2003, 14:04
Originally posted by Netslider
wouldn't it be greater to play while listening musics from Slipknot, System Of A Down, Marilyn Manson, etc?

Uhhhh... No! not all of us like metal or whatever some prefer techno or hip hop but I'm content with the music in TS2 specially the remix and ice station tracks.

Ab ^_^

the_internet_king
27th Aug 2003, 16:13
i would ussauly like to listen to slipknot, soad and what have u but thats just aint timesplitters, like the vice city sound track kicks ass but can u really see that on ts? i think that the music on it suits it perfectly :D

Captin Snow
27th Aug 2003, 21:57
I agree with the_internet_king, the TS2 music is fine. You can't tell me that ****ed up opera that one chick sings on the aztec level is boring. And like AB said, not everyone likes metal (Well, I do). Though, every once in awhile I'll mute the TV and put in some Superjoint Ritual, Meshuggah, Pantera, Down, Motograter, the list goes on, I like alot of bands. Hell when you have the tv up, alot of the time you can't even hear the music over the gunfire.