PDA

View Full Version : Should CORE get the rights to TR BACK ?

steedy69
24th Aug 2003, 15:37
Hey, im just wondering if you r all happy with the fact that Tomb Raider has been stripped from amazing Core Design and given to the [mod-edit]be nice :) ~rg_001100[/mod-edit] Crystal Dynamics (*cough*.....soul reaver and that DIRE Gecko game.....*cough*)?

I for one am NOT happy AT ALL. Infact.....i LOVE TR:AOD and want them to finish the trilogy.......especially given that the second game was already ungergoing production!

(I also PRAY that they release a Directors Cut of AOD featuring all the stuff that they cut out......:

* The deleted training level (which ROCKS by the way)
* Extra parts of levels (eg Vault of Trophies; swinging on flags etc)
* Herbalist anyone?
* Limping/bleeding/wounding
* Harpoon gun
* Scorpion X
* Kurtis (he was meant to have 3 weapons and u were meant to CONTROL his farsee ability with the left analogue stick!) Plus there are loadsa screenshots of him in dark purple-lit levels with red carpet! Oh and u were meant to be able to use/control is Chiruguai weapon !!!!!
* Pawnshop and the hole concept of money/ BUYING things!
* Cutscenes..........(cough.....when exactly did she change her clothes/find out info etc)
* Theres also another character featured on the tombraider website who doesnt even appear in the game.......include him!!!
* Oh and AI thats actually intelligent (I quote from the "making of"......"enemies who wont stop till theyve killed lara, enemies that hunt in packs and respond when an ally falls" etc etc

Anyways, I digressed.............SO SHOULD CORE GET THE RIGHTS TO TR BACK AND SHOULD THEY FINISH THE AMAZING TRILOGY THAT THEY STARTED ???

EddyBones
24th Aug 2003, 15:47
It's pretty much Eidos's game and not Core's, so I don't care what they do with it. For all you know the next game'll be good.

dhama
24th Aug 2003, 16:28
In my opinion, Core did the business with the original Tomb Raider, even though it started to get a bit samey (made up word :p ) But TR AOD wasn't finished and we all know that.
I'm just going to wait till Crystal D. do the business, and make up my mind then........... speculation rarely yeilds truth anyway.

dhama
24th Aug 2003, 16:34
Originally posted by steedy69
.......and given to the s**t Crystal Dynamics

Any more remarks like this and you'll lose the ability to make them at these forums.

Dani_Lover
24th Aug 2003, 17:11
The reason all those things were cut from the game is because Eidos (this is merely speculation) wanted the game out before Core was finished so told them to just release what they had, if they had been able to delay until Christmas the game probably would have got 8 and 9/10s across the board and Tomb Raider would have made a come back. So it wasn't really Core's fault but Eidos needed a scapegoat and they needed to make it look like they were trying to clean up the mess. Let's just hope that they don't force out the Crystal games like they did the Core one, hopefully they will have learned their lessons since their share prices suffered more from the bad game then an amazing game delayed. Just opinion.
EVAN

PaulZ108
25th Aug 2003, 00:55
Not the old "it's Eidos fault!" thing again. Core was given several years in which to develop it and knew their deadline in advance and Eidos put up with a ton of delays over the past year or so in order to try to give Core the time it needed to finish it. Eidos couldn't financially afford to put it off much longer so it had to be released.

IMO, Core's ideas started sucking after TR3. The first two games were incredible, TR3 was good, but I didn't particularly care for TR4...way too much Egypt and the whole "Lara lets loose an Egyptian god" thing was a bit stupid. TRC was okay, but AOD was just a mess. It just wasn't Tomb Raider to begin with, but even for what it was it was bad. I don't like the "darker" direction at all and the thought of a whole trilogy of AOD crap (the second game being set ENTIRELY underground in Turkey) is just sickening.

The Core that created the first two TR games changed long ago and it's obvious. So no, don't let Core anywhere near Lara again.

Dani_Lover
25th Aug 2003, 01:26
I don't object to the Crystal decision, I think Crystal as an unbiased developer that can look at Tomb Raider in a different light has the potential to do an excellent job. I'm just saying AoD had a lot of un realised potential, it wasn't entirely Core's fault, they obviously hit some hitches they weren't suspecting, the PS2 is really hard to develope for and Core doesn't have the financial backing of Capcom, Square or Konami. So I'm just saying that the AoD screw up does not make Core a bad developer, but it will do Tomb Raider good to gain some fresh perspective. As for Core they could end up benefiting as well since they can start ti actually FOCUS on their other projects, whereas when they had Tomb Raider everything else was secondary (anyone else remember how crappy the Fighting Force games were?).
EVAN

Kurtis Trent
25th Aug 2003, 01:53
I actually think that only time will tell. For all we know, Chrystal Dynamics could come up with a fresh and brillant start for TR! They could make things that we've been complaining about better or even solved! We just have to wait and see what they do with Lara and tomb raider. It could be it great, it couldnt. We just have to accept that it could be different.

storm shadow
27th Aug 2003, 19:12
It's a fact that Core and Eidos have to make up for the first part of AOD... we all know why. They owe the fans a good second release of the trilogy! Or even better a director's cut with the all the things that are missing in the 1st!
If so... that CD takes over..."I didn't see official news about it" than we have to see if they can make a good second!
I hate the g4 media movies BTW... it sounds like they have hired a American Woman to do the voice of LARA! Enough said?
CD vs CORE.... CORE deserves a second chance and change! :)

Tomb Raider Fan
27th Aug 2003, 19:22
Hey, im just wondering if you r all happy with the fact that Tomb Raider has been stripped from amazing Core Design and given to the s**t Crystal Dynamics (*cough*.....soul reaver and that DIRE Gecko game.....*cough*)?

How do u no?....TR might even be better with Crystal Dynamics??? We gotta wait until it is released first

Nah i don't think Core should get the TR rights back....It's someone elses turn :D

FZR600R
28th Aug 2003, 20:57
Originally posted by PaulZ108
Not the old "it's Eidos fault!" thing again. Core was given several years in which to develop it and knew their deadline in advance and Eidos put up with a ton of delays over the past year or so in order to try to give Core the time it needed to finish it. Eidos couldn't financially afford to put it off much longer so it had to be released.

Do you know this for a fact? I doubt any of us kniows the whole story. What I know from my own experience is that techprojects never ever keeps the deadline. I also know that it is very common for people at the top of a companys foodchain to order the release of a product even the techs say it's not ready.

Managers and executives are seldom engineers or technicians and don't want to understand the technological difficulties a project can run into. Either that or they often choose to ignore them.

DaveJ
29th Aug 2003, 06:44
I would have preferred some new additional people being brought in to Core Design to inject some new direction into the games - but still keeping it British.

Handing it to someone else is merely chucking out the baby with the bathwater.

And I also believe that - despite Core not finishing on time - the reason it came out in the state it did is Eidos' fault. Core played scapegoat in more ways than one.

$0.02

The*angel*of*darkness
29th Aug 2003, 13:23
I don't mind really, i voted that core should finish it, but i don't mind as long as Crystal D stay to the original Lara, and don't play around with her aperance, or her history, i don't want them to change anything.

nowalruses
30th Aug 2003, 22:16
Does anyone even know if Core actually wants TR back? I haven't heard anything from them and for all I know they're happy to be moving on. I'm just gonna sit back and wait and hope Crystal D can breathe new life into the series. I'm just happy to see the series continue.

DaveJ
31st Aug 2003, 07:43
From PCZone.co.uk:

Core Design founders Adrian Smith and Jeremy Heath-Smith to front new UK development studio.

Co-founders of Tomb Raider developer Core Design, Adrian Smith and Jeremy Heath-Smith, are to set up a new UK development studio, we can reveal. Following Heath-Smith's departure after the Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness release debacle, his brother is joining him to front this new venture.
A Core insider, operating under conditions of anonymity, told us: "Adrian [Smith] is leaving to start up again with his brother. They've hand-picked a number of staff [from Core] to join them at the new company; everybody else is staying behind and Core will continue to run as usual."

Further details on the new company are not yet available, but an official announcement is expected on September 1, according to sources. After the highly troubled release of Angel of Darkness for PC and PS2 - which led to Heath-Smith's removal from the board of Eidos, his departure from Core Design, and Tomb Raider being handed over to Crystal Dynamics - the Smith brothers will now be keen to put this behind them and establish themselves as a major UK development force once again.

As to what the first game will be, we'll just have to wait and see, although we're already hearing whispers of something called "Tomb Breaker". Or not. There are also question marks over exactly what will happen at Core now, which is currently working on an online update to its Fighting Force series, but spokespersons for Core and Eidos were unavailable at the time of writing.

We'll bring you more as soon as the full announcement is made

Lara Croft Online
9th Sep 2003, 00:57
Core Design sold the rights to another company before Eidos and
when Eidos bought that company Eidos then owned the rights.
So Core Design gave it up a long time ago and maybe they had
to sell to get where they got to and Eidos took it away maybe
not because they wanted to but because they had to.
In business sometimes the hard choices aren't the popular ones.

AndrewIII
20th Sep 2003, 18:00
Originally posted by Dani_Lover
The reason all those things were cut from the game is because Eidos (this is merely speculation) wanted the game out before Core was finished so told them to just release what they had, if they had been able to delay until Christmas the game probably would have got 8 and 9/10s across the board and Tomb Raider would have made a come back. So it wasn't really Core's fault but Eidos needed a scapegoat and they needed to make it look like they were trying to clean up the mess. Let's just hope that they don't force out the Crystal games like they did the Core one, hopefully they will have learned their lessons since their share prices suffered more from the bad game then an amazing game delayed. Just opinion.
EVAN

I don't know what to say,but it was Eidos that sent the TR franchsie downhill after wanting a game every 12 month. No developer in thier right mind would want to develope a game every 12 month,no matter how successful the franchise was. Heck, I hardly doubt Core ever had a say when it came to the TR franchise.

moe888uk
1st Oct 2003, 11:04
Good to see the Smiths starting out again. I am sure theyll be more successful than whatever CD can give us (SR2 spit). I am actually quite excited about the Tomb Breaker series.

JohnRaider
2nd Oct 2003, 01:11
I wonder what tomb breaker would be about? Would it basically be a TR game without Lara? Or maybe even demolishing tombs? Sounds fun :D.

Younglara_babe
11th Oct 2003, 23:18
I really don't care who has it as long as the game isn't a piece of junk. AOD wasn't finished and it should have been. They try to keep fans they have by making promises they can't or won't keep. I hope Crystal does a better job. And if they put out a Directors Cut, then they will be my best friend for life.

C ya's

WesternWhiteWolf
18th Oct 2003, 20:46
Originally posted by Younglara_babe
I really don't care who has it as long as the game isn't a piece of junk. AOD wasn't finished and it should have been. They try to keep fans they have by making promises they can't or won't keep. I hope Crystal does a better job. And if they put out a Directors Cut, then they will be my best friend for life.

Same here.:cool:

XanderD2
25th Oct 2003, 09:58
I don't care either if CD means Core Design or Crystal Dynamics as long as the games are fine. ;)

maniac44
9th Nov 2003, 17:39
CORE will not get TR back. The Smith brothers are gone as well as most of the top talent from CORE. CORE is on "life support" right now and the plug could get pulled in the near future.

The Smith brother now have to be very carefull about what they name their new project. "Tomb Breakers" is way too close a title to "Tomb Raider" and Eidos will get the lawyers out to stop the confusion in title names.

snickrep04
4th Jun 2004, 16:30
Originally posted by maniac44
Eidos will get the lawyers out to stop the confusion in title names.

Nah, I dont think so. I think its quite ok if Adrian Smith and Jeremy Heath-Smith use the word "Tomb" in there upcoming game. But im sure people won't even notice "Tomb Breakers" is being made by Adrian Smith and Jeremy Heath-Smith because there new company is "Circle Studios."

Invincible
5th Jun 2004, 04:33

IMO, Core's ideas started sucking after TR3. The first two games were incredible, TR3 was good, but I didn't particularly care for TR4...way too much Egypt and the whole "Lara lets loose an Egyptian god" thing was a bit stupid. TRC was okay, but AOD was just a mess.

Well,having seen the mushy scene with Kurt-ape in Louvre I was DISGUSTED to see how desperate they were to change EVERYTHING and in some even meaning of TR and Lara.
I'll disagree on "the games after 3rd sucked" part because it's not true.
Revelations really expressed Lara's past,present,and future,and bring the figures of her NEVER-befor seen life parts,and I'm thankfull for that.She's meant for Tombs and it was proven in Last Revelation!
Chronicles was very short but sweet,and it brang us the Rome levels back,the first level of Russia was amazing,and the Mystery Island was really nicely done to look spooky,with sounds and everything.VCi had it's bugs but it kicked some serious a$$ and figure from her past was back again,Werner.I'm really saddened that they put him as a victim to Monstrum in Angel Of Darkness,he was kinda dear to me,and I wish some1 they bring him back (*HINT,Eidos,HINT*)!
Aod would really knock the competition IF they have included all the goods like the AWESOME(yes,I agree) part of the PArisian Backstreets, deleted scenes INC. the 2 in Eckhardt's Lab at the end,that I saw not too long ago and was appalled that they delete it,I mean FOR WHAT,it was there,they lost their time but why did they delete that if it was like dONE and planed to be in game,that's what I wanna know!?
ANd yes I agree,Core had 3 years for God's sake,like I said in other forums,first 3 games including BONUS ones were like coming out every year or so,and the last 2 takes few years now.Are they slacking off or just don't want to do it anymore :mad: .

the thought of a whole trilogy of AOD crap (the second game being set ENTIRELY underground in Turkey) is just sickening.
AGREE!!Yuhck!!!! :eek: :D

I just hope that WHOever anymore is planning to make them IS gonna do a good job and make fans happy again. ;) :)

Invincible
5th Jun 2004, 04:55
* Theres also another character featured on the tombraider website who doesnt even appear in the game.......include him!!!
* Oh and AI thats actually intelligent (I quote from the "making of"......"enemies who wont stop till theyve killed lara, enemies that hunt in packs and respond when an ally falls" etc etc
..SO SHOULD CORE GET THE RIGHTS TO TR BACK AND SHOULD THEY FINISH THE AMAZING TRILOGY THAT THEY STArted??

Ahhh,Luther Rouzic,he was the 6th member of the Cabal!
He is an awesome character (besides Eckhard of course),and really has it.

The only good part about AOD is the STORY- Nephilim,cabal,Alcheimists and THAT's ALL!!!
And AI r pretty stupid in AOD also,I mean,they just repeat the same things and DO what disagners made them,and to EXACT,which gets u bored and tired!

snickrep04
5th Jun 2004, 11:16
A.I has always been the weaker point in the tomb raider series. Although, believe it or not I think the A.I in TR4 was better than the A.I in AOD. Now thats pretty sad.

TR4 enemies could monkey swing :).

susan
14th Jun 2004, 08:01
I don't think so. Maybe now they'll be able to concentrate on creating the next big innovative game. I think TR had become like a rigid box for them and probably constrained any new ideas or innovations they had. They are now free to do something new. :)

Jennie Cruze2
18th Jun 2004, 03:40
Originally posted by Kurtis Trent
I actually think that only time will tell. For all we know, Chrystal Dynamics could come up with a fresh and brillant start for TR! They could make things that we've been complaining about better or even solved! We just have to wait and see what they do with Lara and tomb raider. It could be it great, it couldnt. We just have to accept that it could be different.

YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RIGHT!!!!!!!!
JENNIE

snickrep04
18th Jun 2004, 19:45
well you know what I say.... WWTD