PDA

View Full Version : Interesting review here...

Machinax
24th Aug 2003, 00:16
Found this while searching for "deus ex" on Yahoo! (yes, I'm obsessed).

"Deus Ex 2 takes place approximately 20 years after the events depicted in Deus Ex, in a world only beginning to recover from a secret, conspiratorial war, technology run amok and catastrophic worldwide depression. The winner-take-all geopolitics of mid-21st century Earth have given way to a struggle over more basic concerns: food, water, re-establishing civil law and cleaning up biological and nano-tech fallout. Several religious and political factions see in the chaos the opportunity to shape a worldwide government and they know that the right moves now could determine the shape of human society for decades – even centuries – to come. The player must reveal the secrets of each faction and the identities of the true players in this struggle for world power. In the end, the player discovers that he or she may be the key to all of the factions' plans. But the greatest mystery of all – the game's true goal – is more personal, much deeper and, for maximum impact, is best revealed during play. The story is an important part of any Deus Ex-universe game but character development, simulation and gameplay are, taken together, the real heart of the matter. "

I've bolded certain sections of the text for the following:

Two things; one, this sounds as though DX:IW takes off after the possible New Dark Age ending in DX:TC.

Two; I'm glad that there's (apparently) more to the game (DX:IW) than running around doing errands for whatever faction you feel like siding with.

http://www.gameinfowire.com/news.asp?nid=2257

Reactions?

Edicius Tsaf
24th Aug 2003, 00:21
Reactions?
Sounds even better than be4:)

MR X
24th Aug 2003, 00:46
Personally I doubt it will follow the "dark age" ending. First of all, in deus ex 2 you assume the role of "Alex" who just happens to be in Area 51, unconcious, in a little tube, meaning if the dark age ending occured (area 51 go boom) he could not possibly have survived. Also, you might have noticed that the world wasn't in very good condition in deus ex 1, was certainly in a depression, and all of the conditions of the world described about deus ex 2 would inevitably result from the events of deus ex 1 (massive disease, civil war, collapse of coorperations, organizations, and the "regime" secretly controlling everything etc). You also have to remember that would the "Dark age" have occured, it would be just that, a DARK AGE, with literally no communication technology or much technology all together, and what I've heard certainly suggests plenty of technology in deus ex 2.

Machinax
24th Aug 2003, 00:55
Good points you raised there. The question then would be, what if a player had chosen the New Dark Age from DX:TC? How would that be reconciled in DX:IW?

Rhetoric question, don't bother answering.

Random
24th Aug 2003, 02:11
Ion Storm are combining all 3 endings. They are not being specific about a particular ending; they're using parts from all three, keeping it ambiguous.

dirigimaster
24th Aug 2003, 09:52
Originally posted by Random
Ion Storm are combining all 3 endings. They are not being specific about a particular ending; they're using parts from all three, keeping it ambiguous.

Nono, what you do at the end of DX is 3 fold

A) Merge with Helios
B) Kill Bob Page, halucinate about joining the illuminati, think distributing vacine would be really ****ing boring.. say **** that, and **** everything else too!
c) Blow up area 51, grab alex on your way out and live in the woods for a while.

Bio Denton
24th Aug 2003, 14:44
Would the woods have bunny rabbits, soft background music and a little stream?

Machinax
24th Aug 2003, 16:57
With Elven maidens playing harps?

[SYN] Nexus
24th Aug 2003, 17:28
dirig Ion Storm already told that they combined the 3 endings so Im a 100% positive that its not only one.I even saw Warren Spector say it in an interview (on tv)

agent008
26th Aug 2003, 15:03
o ***** i like what im seeing the hud looks nice and the gun model and that atm machine thing looks so futuristic

i like how the inventory looks and it seems like the character has a built in compass on him/her

Machinax
27th Aug 2003, 14:44
JC had an in-built compass in the original game.

agent008
27th Aug 2003, 14:52
o yea i forgot but this one looks way better:D