PDA

View Full Version : Eidos to release TR:AOD level editor?

saispas
23rd Aug 2003, 07:25
Have you heard of that??

Following the decision by Eidos Interactive to charge U.S. based Crystal Dynamics with the future development of the Lara Croft Tomb Raider franchise, reliable sources have indicated directly to us that the now redundant editor responsible for creating Lara Croft Tomb Raider The Angel Of Darkness could be commercially available in the near future.

The success of the original Tomb Raider Level Editor that accompanied Tomb Raider Chronicles has been phenomenal, appealing to novices and seasoned professionals from all age groups and responsible for more than 5,000 custom adventures starring Lara Croft. Whispers from reliable sources suggests Eidos is negotiating a commercial format for releasing a new Tomb Raider Editor by the end of the year.

Any such future release would also indicate Crystal Dynamics' intention to develop and incorporate their own engine to power future Lara Croft videogames rather than use a modified or re-hauled version from Core Design. No official comment from Eidos Interactive has been made.

http://www.tombnews.com/

dhama
23rd Aug 2003, 11:41
I see the news originated from TombRaiderChronicles.com, so there may be some truth in it, and i'll be the first to jump with absolute joy if it becomes reality. Until then, i'll happily carry on with the old editor. :)

Tomb Raider Fan
23rd Aug 2003, 12:04
Yeah agree...Since the news came from TRChronicles.com then there might be some truth in it. Yeah i wud also e happy to carry on with the old editor as well.

cornchild
23rd Aug 2003, 17:56
I don't think eidos will release the aod editor but, and updated version of the editor we have now.

I think we might get the trc editor.

They woudl not have many problems updating the trc editor to work with all machines.

Also tr aod was made with maya. It would most likey cost them a lot of money to get licences from maya for us a aod level edtior.

I personally would be more happy with the trc editor than the aod one becuase if you think about it aod had a lot of things left out. The trc is also more stable than tr aod. I really enjoyed aod but, I still enjoy the classic tr's more.

If a new level editor is released no matter which tr its for I will buy it.

Sang
23rd Aug 2003, 19:55
Trc editor! All right!!! I always want the tightrope walking in my level.

JohnRaider
24th Aug 2003, 06:10
Originally posted by cornchild
Also tr aod was made with maya. It would most likey cost them a lot of money to get licences from maya for us a aod level edtior.

I don't think the actual AOD game was made with Maya. I believe the 3D modeling/animation was done with Maya, but CORE developed their own-custom room editor that intergrates with Maya technology making it easier too work with the actual room editor and Maya.

I think it would be cool if a TR:AOD level editor was released. It would also be cool for eidos too release Maya PLE with the AOD Level editor so everyone can make their own objects and easily port them into the level editor.

pipes
24th Aug 2003, 06:14
Well I'm all for it, however an AOD editor would prove to be a very challenging program to learn. I'm hoping they release the editors for all the games or at least an editor that supports all the games. All I want is the TR3 editor ;)

TRWad
24th Aug 2003, 11:07
I don't think the aod LE will get as polulair as trle. AOD Levels are VERY huge (can be up to 40 megs for a single level), so I don't think there is much space to host custom levels.

sk8er punk
24th Aug 2003, 13:42
That'd be great! I'd even pay as much for that as I did for AOD! I've already got Maya, but as jack_raider said, Core made an environment editor to build the actual levels.

sk8er