PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Dynamics? Core Design? Bad or not? What did core even DO in the first place?

RebeL_fARmeR
22nd Aug 2003, 12:42
I admit, i know jack-all about game development. I'm trying to guess as to if Cyrstal Dynamics are going to make or break TR.

Someone please tell me: What part of the game production does EIDOS handle? What part of the production did CORE handle? Does EIDOS do the plots and characters and level designs while CORE wrote the code and designed the controls .etc? I have no idea, yet I can't decide if Crystal D' are going to make future TR games glorious or appaling...

A little help would be greatly appreciated. :)

eurisko
22nd Aug 2003, 13:03
Eidos (anybody know where that name comes from?) publishes and develops games. Out of 499 employees, 200 are working in some form in development, with access to an additiona 422 development staff at partly-owned or external studios.

Core Design is a games developer, full-stop. Out of the 90-odd staff members who currently comprise Core Design, 80 or so are fully into the software development side of things.

I'm actually not entirely sure exactly how the pie is (was) divided between Eidos and Core, but I was under the impression Eidos were like the older sibling peering over Core's shoulder, watching what was going on but not doing the entire school project for them. This is just my impression, however, and is therefore basically a guess :)

RebeL_fARmeR
22nd Aug 2003, 15:10
So it's really neither who do particular bits? It's basically 2 companies combining their efforts?

Hmm, shouldn't be THAT much change in the new TR games... but for all we know Crystal D' could put TR game quality through the roof! You never know...

Cheers, eurisko

BlueSkiesXXV
22nd Aug 2003, 16:31
I thought that Eidos just Published (marketing, distribution, etc) the TR games and CORE developed (created) them.

Do Eidos have an in-house development team???

dhama
22nd Aug 2003, 17:31
Eidos own Core Design and Crystal Dynamic.

Tomb Raider has been given to Crystal Dynamic through good business sense.

maniac44
22nd Aug 2003, 18:12
Originally posted by eurisko
Eidos (anybody know where that name comes from?)

It's from the middle five letters of "Kaleidoscope".

Blue Skies: Eidos does not have an enternal development department. But, they did have one from their beginning to about December 2000.

PaulZ108
23rd Aug 2003, 03:34
Originally posted by maniac44

Blue Skies: Eidos does not have an enternal development department. But, they did have one from their beginning to about December 2000.

A pity it's gone. The TR Gold addons were better than the many of the levels of the actual games.

eurisko
24th Aug 2003, 13:56
np, RF. Truth be told, I just peeked at the corporate section of the Eidos website, that's all.
http://www.eidosinteractive.com/corporate/index.html

I thought that Eidos just Published (marketing, distribution, etc) the TR games and CORE developed (created) them. Do Eidos have an in-house development team???
uhh... um, I don't know. All I know is what I read on their site (link above).

You're kidding. That's so simple! :) How did you know that?
So I take it I (and the people around me) don't pronounce it correctly? Not knowing how to say it, we've ended up pronouncing it, "ee-dos". Bugger. That's going to take some mental gymanstics to get right.
I'm so impressed that you know that :)

maniac44
24th Aug 2003, 15:54
Originally posted by eurisko

You're kidding. That's so simple! :) How did you know that?
So I take it I (and the people around me) don't pronounce it correctly? Not knowing how to say it, we've ended up pronouncing it, "ee-dos". Bugger. That's going to take some mental gymanstics to get right.
I'm so impressed that you know that :)

I use to work for Eidos. When it was first formed, the President of the company wrote "Kaleidoscope" on a white board and pointed out the middle five letters. And said "That's it".

Eidos is pronounced "eye-dos" ("dos", like the old operating system).
You can also explain it as "I-Dos", the "e" is silent.

RebeL_fARmeR
27th Aug 2003, 12:21
Dang, I've been pronouncing it EE-DOS :o

THE SHAME!!! :o :o :o :o

eurisko
27th Aug 2003, 13:16
RF: you and me both, mate.

Ok I feel really stupid now. Why a derivation from 'kaleidoscope'?