PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty levels

chaos_Kn
21st Aug 2003, 17:34
I thought that the Realistic Difficulty Level In Deus Ex was fantastic.
Without it The Game Would have not been as re-playable by a long way.
It made that game very enjoyable and made Mods more Important. I think that balance was just right, and would like to campaign that a difficulty level just the same be present in the next game.
However the Easy difficulty level was too easy even for newbies.

[WZ]divine
21st Aug 2003, 17:46
The easiest level was ok when learning how to play the game (for the first level) but after that i restarted the game with realistic mode.
- maybe you should be able to change difficulty modes at the start of each level. This would mean you could pick an easyer mode when you are learning to play the game and then switch to a hard one when you are good at it.

Edicius Tsaf
22nd Aug 2003, 19:41
i needed about 60 tries to get past the first 5 play minutes in easy mode...
But then i thought it was a different game as it was MUCH easier now.

AlteredGlyph
22nd Aug 2003, 20:12
The difficulty levels were perfect. A hardcore shooter could start the game on Realistic, while other people not so hot at it could start on other difficulty levels like medium or hard.

agent008
26th Aug 2003, 14:19
hmm im not sure but in some game they say if you are getting good at killing alot they increase the ai to match your skills i think it was unreal tournament

chaos_Kn
26th Aug 2003, 14:42
agent you just game me an idea which might be good.

Adjust the AI to deal with the stile you have used so far in the game. For Example if on the first level you went in all gun blazing, on the next level the AI would place enemy units in defensive positions and give them better weapons(maybe). or if you played a stealth game the AI would spit up and look around more. If you liked to pick people off one at a time they might start patrolling in pairs.

Maybe if you had a reputation for not hurting anyone AI would be more reluctant to open fire than if you where known for running round killing everything that moves.

It's a bit off topic but slightly relevant.

- Chaos

agent008
26th Aug 2003, 14:46
hmm intresting adea what would be funny is when you go to your office or sneak in some room an enemy is learking around some where to ambush you

[IS]XXX
29th Aug 2003, 21:27
That adaptation thing will suck, as players will exploit it. If they went in all guns blazing one level, then they might go in steathily the next time, and quietly take them out. Similarly, if you didn't go in the brute force route, but then the guard found you, I'm not going to use my silenced pistol any more, once the alarm sounds -- I'm going to break out the heavy assault guns.

Oh, and realistic sucked. It would have been fine if it went both ways, but when the guards could kill you with a pointy toothpick, and you couldnt kill them with 2 or 3 shots of 10mm (assuming untrained or trained skills here), it sucked.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
1st Sep 2003, 13:46
there was only one problem with the difficulty level, according to me

I think the only thing that changed were the ennemy's damage/accuracy.

it didn't change the ennemy intelligence and/or detection power.

it means that if in easy you managed to sneak all the game, and avoided to be seen, then the game is exactly the same in all difficulty levels.

blath
1st Sep 2003, 17:01
[IS]XXX i cant c ur problem with chaos amazing (imho) idea
for a start it gives u a great sense of realism. something in hitman 2 that seemed odd was the way i could mow down the 1st three generals in missions 2 to 4 in front of their freinds and guards with no stealth at all but the last general in mission 5 would in no way b expecting me. this way i'd pay the price 4 chargin thru and it would get progressively harder 2 do so and at sum point id actually choose 2 make the effort 2 stay hidden a little cos the odds mite start 2 stack up against me

the second point is related- y is it "exploiting" the system 2 adapt ur style of execution appropriately?? in my mind itd make it far more interesting!

blath

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
2nd Sep 2003, 08:04
I agree with what I understood from last post (I'm not very good at SMS-style, especially in english):

in real life, you DO adapt your methods to your environment, and so do the ennemies.

That means that if you decided to go in "like the US marshall" in the first mission, the ennemi will wait for you to do so in the second. that also means that, knowing that, you can decide to sneak in this time. that's what you do in real life, so why would it ruin the game?

blath
2nd Sep 2003, 08:20
yeah sorry about that, sauveur. I usually try to type things in proper english as much as I can when I'm on forums and things but I was in a bit of a rush yesterday and SMS-style comes more naturally now after all this time on messenger ;)

I don't know how the bit about if you kill people one at a time would be implemented but detecting whether you went in guns blazing or normal or completely stealthy not killing anyone would be easy and I think would add another level of strategy and realism

blath

Deus (Seraph)
2nd Sep 2003, 17:54
Well, if they react on your style or not, is depending on the fact if they noticed YOU! To explain: if I sneak to the generator in DX Mission 2, then sneak in from the back and deactivate it with the computer - will they call the Teams from other Positions and tell them that "someone has blewn up te generator" or "we had a system failure, the generator just blew up - be careful now they can go in"?

PDenton
2nd Sep 2003, 18:42
Originally posted by chaos_Kn
agent you just game me an idea which might be good.

Adjust the AI to deal with the stile you have used so far in the game. For Example if on the first level you went in all gun blazing, on the next level the AI would place enemy units in defensive positions and give them better weapons(maybe). or if you played a stealth game the AI would spit up and look around more. If you liked to pick people off one at a time they might start patrolling in pairs.

Maybe if you had a reputation for not hurting anyone AI would be more reluctant to open fire than if you where known for running round killing everything that moves.

I think this would be a really good idea, but it would be really hard to implement it. I mean when is it stealth and when it is sniper. It really would need a lot of work. If this could be implemented it would add loads to the replay-value, i mean the range of tactic would increase vastly as well as being a nice improvement on simply playing it on realistic which kind of looses its difficulty after a few plays. :(

What would also be good would be to have an option for how intelegent the AIs are and how they would respond in certain situations. :) I mean in Splinter Cell, after the guards are alerted, they get more wary, however if you alert a guard in DX they will search for 30 seconds then completely forget about you. It would be cool if they got jumpy and started shooting at the shadows, etc.:D

*edit*
Corrected a typo or two

The_Guided
2nd Sep 2003, 19:25
Now thats the type of bs that designers need these days. people could be randomly picked up and think random stuff and get payed for it and that idea is proper bo i tell thee. But as yet will they implement it? or do they have it already? no one will know for sure except the people that do.

SlipknotRaziel
8th Sep 2003, 22:42
I think that the game difficulties were ok but they cound have made it harder. The Realistic Difficulty was ok but once you new what gun to use on what guys and etc or once you had the sniper all the way up it was really ez i mean maybe i have no life and play games so much that it seemed that way for me but i beat the game with 100% life thats how i beat every game i have to or i will like keep trying to get it perfect. Dont know i find games EXTREAMLY SHORT and ez these days who agrees? I mean whoever says Deus Ex was a long game i dont know...i beat it in about 18-20 hours 1st time i played it every ending every posible way.

AlteredGlyph
8th Sep 2003, 23:25
You played DX2? WOW!!! Was the story good? Or are you just an idiot who put the 2 there for fun. DX was easy after the first or second time played, somewhat. It was still fun though.

Trollslayer
8th Sep 2003, 23:30
I have to agree with Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames, i think the damage ouptut of enemies and accuracy was the only thing that got better (or worse, if you're in the receiving end of their shots). I remember my utter amazement at how one single bullet totally took away 100% of my left arm the first time i played in Realistic Mode, while the NSFer was quite a distance away from me.

Though to keep on topic i'm divided between fixed difficulty and dynamic difficulty. Fixed presents preset levels of reactions in combat and alertness measures beforehand, and its dull to some, but one knows what to expect; dynamic difficulty is thrilling because the AI will be examining your MO and work around it, but sometimes one cannot adapt well, because a difficulty that adapts to what you do makes you usually unable to adjust yourself to the game by using your playstyle, leaving you instead having to adapt to the game's own adaptation of you. And i prefer to adapt myself to the game, then having to adapt to the idea that i have to play in a special way just to avoid problems. I just prefer to play in a way that allows me to use my own inventiveness, not limit it by pressure of AI countermeasures.

Trollslayer
8th Sep 2003, 23:33
Originally posted by AlteredGlyph
You played DX2? WOW!!! Was the story good? Or are you just an idiot who put the 2 there for fun. DX2 was easy after the first or second time played, somewhat. It was still fun though.

I'm not a moderator, but i'd like to say something. The slight chuckle or occasional guffah one can have at the expense of others is somewhat tolerated if reasonably maintained (such as picking apart others' inconsitency in speech or trolling, for example), but outright name-calling is best left out the door before coming here. Granted, calling someone an idiot is not that much of an insult, but its something that can lead to worse. SO... please refrain from this.

Keep on keepin' on, that'll be all :cool:

SlipknotRaziel
9th Sep 2003, 00:29
Sry that was a typo plz dont flame me like that im sure you knew that was a typo!

AlteredGlyph
9th Sep 2003, 01:29
Sorry, it's just in my family we pick eachothers slips to death. I apologize sincerely for the insult.

The Corinthian
9th Sep 2003, 01:49
Wow, this appears to have gotten horribly off topic!

I thought realistic mode was great, though hardly "realistic". I mean, what weekend warrior who's a lawyer could blow off your head repeatedly at 100 meters with a pistol? Sure, the damage was realistic, but the enemies aiming become as unreal as Unreal...

SlipknotRaziel
9th Sep 2003, 04:36
I dont know maybe its just me i found that the Ai was stupid i mean i was also playing on realistic but i found that once you get the right upgrades for guns etc the enemies cant touch you. For example if you keep upgradeing the sniper with the anti recoil and the better acc. you can't be killed. I mean the enemies never got even close once i did that. That upgrade also takes some time so in the mean while i jsut took my time slowly aimed etc used different guns for different guys and it wa sstill to ez in my opinion maybe i play games to much dunno lol!

The Corinthian
9th Sep 2003, 18:47
Well, yeah, I normally play games from a kind of sniper mentality, but I did have a penchant for the Dragon's Tooth, atleast until realistic, when I'd get my head handed to me by any foe if I tried to use it. If they have another realistic mode, I hope it actually makes the game well, "Realistic", i.e. everyone dies after 1 or 2 bullets(excluding augs/armor), maybe realistic aiming or bullet physics turned on, like in DF:BHD how sniper rifle bullets were pulled down by gravity at long distances realistically...

PDenton
12th Sep 2003, 16:04
Originally posted by Trollslayer
Though to keep on topic i'm divided between fixed difficulty and dynamic difficulty. Fixed presents preset levels of reactions in combat and alertness measures beforehand, and its dull to some, but one knows what to expect; dynamic difficulty is thrilling because the AI will be examining your MO and work around it, but sometimes one cannot adapt well, because a difficulty that adapts to what you do makes you usually unable to adjust yourself to the game by using your playstyle, leaving you instead having to adapt to the game's own adaptation of you. And i prefer to adapt myself to the game, then having to adapt to the idea that i have to play in a special way just to avoid problems. I just prefer to play in a way that allows me to use my own inventiveness, not limit it by pressure of AI countermeasures.
I think that having the AIs adapt to what you do and not being able to predict precisely what they will do in any one situation would really enhance the game. I mean isn't DX one of the most non-linear games aroung at the moment, surely this would be the next stage up. Besides if you don't want to have it a dynamic dificulty, you could have the standard dificulties for easy to hard and then for realistic have the AIs adapt to you. That way everyone is happy. :D

Trollslayer
14th Sep 2003, 14:18
Originally posted by PDenton
I think that having the AIs adapt to what you do and not being able to predict precisely what they will do in any one situation would really enhance the game. I mean isn't DX one of the most non-linear games aroung at the moment, surely this would be the next stage up. Besides if you don't want to have it a dynamic dificulty, you could have the standard dificulties for easy to hard and then for realistic have the AIs adapt to you. That way everyone is happy. :D

Meh i wouldn't call it the most non-linear game. Most non-linear FPS, maybe.

But like i said, i'm divided between both types of difficulty settings. Both have pros and cons.

DarkPhoenix
15th Sep 2003, 04:24
First off, I loved realistic mode. That really put DX over the top as an FPS, in my book. While a slightly smarter AI might be a good idea, I think it was perfectly balanced in the original. Maybe a self adjusting difficulty, like Max Payne, would be a good idea? And it isn't like the computer is a crack shot on realistic either. For some fun, spawn a bunch of pigeons and align them with the player. Then spawn a bunch of NSF and watch as they miss pigeon after pigeon. If anything, I think the computer needs a little boost with its marksmanship.

operative x
24th Sep 2003, 04:30
I like the idea of a dynamically changing AI, but not how it has been described. I don't think that when you use a certain play style, witch is successful, that the dynamic change should happen to the AI the next level, but in the moment. For example, if you go in shooting anything that moves, the enemies AI should change tactics instead of being mowed down they should send in reinforcements and change to a defensive mode. But if somehow you succeed and wipe them out, then the next level with the next set of guys (if never seen you, fought you, heard you)should be as clueless as the first guys.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Sep 2003, 11:01
But if somehow you succeed and wipe them out, then the next level with the next set of guys (if never seen you, fought you, heard you)should be as clueless as the first guys

if you consider that you are fighting not just casual battles, but a whole organisation, the ennemies have a global vision of your actions.

even if the basic guard doesn't know which tactic you used, the organisation can find out, and give the guards new instructions/orders to better fight you.

PDenton
26th Sep 2003, 07:28
Originally posted by operative x
But if somehow you succeed and wipe them out, then the next level with the next set of guys (if never seen you, fought you, heard you)should be as clueless as the first guys.
Maybe this would work if they don't know you're there, ie you don't allert them because they don't know that you'll be coming there and that it will be you. However once you have allerted them and they know who you are, then they should go into dynamic dificulty and adapt to the style that you normally play.:p Besides if you don't want them to adapt from one place to another, they you could just play it on a normal level.

Again I will repeat that if you have an AI that will adapt to you, it would greatly increase the replayability of the game.:D

illicituprising
27th Sep 2003, 13:32
I agree an AI that adapted to the players skill would be the best thing. However what I would like to know is what happened if you used a variety of tactics what would the game do in this situation, I can only imagine it would have to resort to it’s default setting and what would that be?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
29th Sep 2003, 07:48
standard security routine : patrols, bots, and shoot on sight... (what it was for your first mission. maybe upgraded)

gareis
18th Oct 2003, 16:02
There was no delay in reactions, or nearly none. For instance, just after the warehouse mission there's a UNATCO troop on the street. You can sneak up on him and tag him with the prod, but if he sees you, he immediately shoots. There's no uncertainty, no second of hesitation. They should take half a second to say, "Hey, is that a random civilian? No, it's JC Denton! I just got a message on my headset to kill him!" And then they should pull out a gun and kill you.

Wandering around in the dark, an MJ12 troop sees a man in black. He immediately thinks, "JC Denton--kill him!" He doesn't think, "Is that one of ours? No, he isn't moving right. Should I kill him?"

Just a little delay, something that would take less than a day to code, would make it much better. I hope they included that in DX2.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
20th Oct 2003, 09:30
hmmm you aren't exactly dressed like one of the standard guards.

and he just recieved a message from Walton simmons, saying he had to shoot you on sight. that would probably explain it

Cyzada
20th Oct 2003, 18:46
I didnt play on any setting other than realistic mode. I thought that was a good setting. Not realistic (if you want realistic play Ghost Recon) but the right difficulty for this sort of game imo, the enemies being tough enough to make the player think about how a situation should be best approached rather then just charging in guns blazing.

On weighted difficulty, this has been done before. It often looks good on paper but doesn't pan out to well in practice often resulting in players basing their tactics around how they would like the next level's difficulty to be, rather then the situation at hand.

On enemy awareness. Since JC Denton isn't exactly a master of disguise, the enemies (once they see him) recongnize him as a hostile instantly. Even if they werent expressly ordered to kill him on sight very soon in the game he becomes public enemy #1 regarded as heavily armed and extremely dangerous so the guards would likely shoot on sight anyway.

Now one thing that isn't in the game is enemy emotion. That is all the enemies in the game behave like robotic killing machines (which is what they are in actual fact). Considering that JC Denton is probably a pretty fearsome character, you would expect Joe Schmo the Unatco Agent to proverbially speaking piss in his pants if he turned around and found himself eye to eye with such a person. You might expect that it might take him a moment just to come to the realization that his eyes were not decieving him, let alone take some sort of decisive action.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
21st Oct 2003, 08:35
On weighted difficulty, this has been done before. It often looks good on paper but doesn't pan out to well in practice often resulting in players basing their tactics around how they would like the next level's difficulty to be, rather then the situation at hand.

again, you CAN do that in real life (sort of. if you were a super agent fighting against a world domination conspiracy, that is) : that's called strategy. you CAN go with all you weapons and shoot everyone with your plasma gun, just to make the ennemy think you'll do the same next time. so why couldn't you do that in a game?

Xenon
23rd Oct 2003, 15:30
At the Realistic difficulty level in DX the player dealt the same amount of damage to the enemies as they dealt to him, as far as I know. But this amount was far from realistic (oh, just 4 headshots with an assault rifle, and you're dead). Besides, the local damage system was not really good (a real human would probably lose consciousness before all his body parts got disabled).
And I don't understand why a game like DX cannot implement an actually realistic damage system, like, for example the one that was used in Ghost Recon (1 or 2 shots - and you are dead. Local damage present. I consider this system to be the best of all systems I know, despite its simplicity).
But a game like DX is mor complex has some exceptions like biomods, so, the system should better be more detailed. To make it more detailed one could:

1) Divide body into parts; assign a health indicator to each of the parts. Consider the effects of damage on each part. (as it was done in DX). Keep damage levels realitic (an unprotected unmodified human should rarely take more than 2 shots before going unconcious under normal conditions).

2) Create a universal health indicator capable of taking 1.5-2 times more damage than one region for regulating purposes. After this indecator reaches zero the player loses consciousness because of injuries. Damage coefficients for each part of body might be considered (i.e. a shot at an arm would make less influence than a headshot).

3)To add realism a penetrating ability of a projectile might be introduced and penetration threshold might be used as a main factor for armor protective capability.protective capability rather than damage.
I currently have 2 ideas on how to implement this:

3a) Make the armor piece have 2 thresholds. A projectile with penetration below the lower threshold does minimal damage; a projectile with penetration above the higher threshold does full damage. Between the thresholds the amount of damage grows either linearly or nonlinearly. Not sure what's better.

3b) Introduce the mean penetration threshold and use the following formula:

D=x*ID+ID*(1-x)*P/(P+MPT)

Where x - part of the initial damage that's dealt to the player/object because of armor's structure. Might be 0 for bots and special powered armor types;
ID - the initial amount of damage;
P - projectile's penetration;
MPT - mean penetrarion threshold.

Thus, one can see that mean penetration threshold is the penetration a projectile must have to deal half of the initial damage disregarding armor's defects.

Since DX2 is ready, I'm not sure why I wrote all this. For DX3, maybe...

PS: I've never played DX at any other difficulty than realistic (of about 6 times I did it).

Cyzada
23rd Oct 2003, 16:14
Yeah but its a different story if you *have* to do that becuase if you stealth through a mission without fireing a shot it becomes nearly impossible to stealth through the next mission (dont think it hasn't panned out exactly like that before)

Besides we aren't exactly talking about a military campaign here where there are two clear cut sides strategizing against eachother in open warfare. This is a silent war and you are a silent weapon. There are many different groups locked in a power struggle against eachother and you are just one player out of many. That they would base there security plans around your operational history alone is ludicrous, not to mention the possibility that you could be penetrating into a facility that did not expect to be assaulted by you specifically.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
23rd Oct 2003, 16:25
well, you CAN make adjustment to that. of course it doesn't have to be automatic. but I don't think it would be to hard nore unrealistic as some said

Coyote
23rd Oct 2003, 16:34
I thought the levels were very good. An expansion pack giving an even harder lever would make for more playability.

In higher levels of difficulty I seem to remember AI making it harder for stealth - NSF/guards etc noticed you quicker/more easily. In addition to their increased damage/accuracy.

Tbone
23rd Oct 2003, 17:58
Two words: Action Quake. Anybody remember that? Head shots were basically fatal, even if it was a lousy shot and hit you in the mouth instead of the temple. Torso shots weren't instantly fatal, but you bled out pretty fast if you didn't stop and bandage yourself. Of course, Action Quake didn't have any means of magically healing yourself with the ever-popular and cliched first aid kit, but I'll forgive Ion Storm for that. Although it would be refreshing if they ditched the first aid kits in favor of some kind of healing nanite colloid or something. Or make it so that Alex's nanites could slowly regenerate his damage over time and just throw the healing itmes out entirely.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Oct 2003, 08:02
In higher levels of difficulty I seem to remember AI making it harder for stealth - NSF/guards etc noticed you quicker/more easily. In addition to their increased damage/accuracy.

they had increased damage/accuracy, but I didn't notice any increase in their detecting abilities. since I usually use stealth and as few kills as possible, I should have noticed. that was the problem : if you play with only stealth, there is no difference between all 4 difficulty levels, since the AI doesn't see you.

F3nyx
27th Oct 2003, 01:05
I thought Realistic difficulty was the best by far, except for one thing - the Assault Rifle.

Now the whole point of an assault rifle - as opposed to a lesser firearm, like a pistol - is that it shoots bullets at a very high rate. That doesn't mean the bullets are less powerful by a corresponding amount. Sure, they're a bit smaller caliber, but 1 of those bullets through the skull stands a good chance of killing someone.

I hated it how you could kill guys with 1 pistol headshot, but it took 3 or 4 assault rifle bullets to the head. I guess they were trying to balance the weapons, but an assault rifle is supposed to be more deadly than a pistol.

The Grimpond
27th Oct 2003, 19:23
realistic was the best

RobK
20th Dec 2003, 09:11
Realistic blows the other modes out of the water, but it still wasn't all that. Between the floaty physics and the nonexistent damage modelling it's been a royal pain. At least with Realistic the head takes more damage.

GreenGreasyGreasel
20th Dec 2003, 12:01
As a DX veteran, I played on Realistic right from the start. I've thoroughly enjoyed the game (on my second time through, now), but it's been rather easy. My style of play is a sort of stealth-combat, in that I try to pick off as many people as I can, or simply lure them in and smash them with the baton. Most of my take-downs, in fact, are with the baton and not a gun. (I use strength mod).

I would actually prefer getting killed more. In the first DX, a pistol at point-blank killed you. I liked that. More incentive not to get shot. But the only one shot kill in IW seems to be from an enemy shotgun. I mean, with Enhanced Vision at level 3 and strength mod at level 3, the enemy can't touch me. I just wait for him to round the corner and I thump his skull. Plus, you can just duck and hit him repeatedly in the knees to knock him out (not very realistic). The only weapons I really use are the baton, the sniper rifle, and, for close quarters, hairy situations, the SMG (which I've modded with ammo scavenger and flak). Heck, I've made it a point to kill everything that moves in my second run-through, and I've had nary a problem. And I'd consider myself no-more than above-average at FPS games.

Random
25th Dec 2003, 09:38
I missed this thread when it was bumped ...

But now that's it's here, you can change the difficulty in DX:IW yourself if you want. Open the default.ini file in the System folder and scroll way down to the [Difficulty] section. Find this bit:
Player Damage multiplier - damage player takes from AIs
And make the values higher. If you play on Realistic, go to this line:
Difficulty_Player_Damage_Real__d=
And change that number to a higher one. I think the default it 1.75, so change it up to 2.50 or whatever you like.

Spewn
25th Dec 2003, 19:47
Difficulty levels aside, the AI was the only thing that bugged me in this game. For instance:

***Minor Spoilers Ahead, don't say I didn't warn you...***

In the emerald suites apartments, if you head up to the roof, take out the security bot(my favourite method was, of course, bot domination), and then use a glass destabilizer modified pistol to take out the glass above the lawyers apartment, then pull out your sniper rifle and kill him, his guard sounds the alarm. Now, let's say that the entire time, except for when you took your shot, you were cloaked, and out of sight. Even if you then re-cloak, and walk back down the stairs, the guards are HOSTILE towards you. Why? How? That made no sense to me. Then of course, as soon as you leave the emerald suite area, nobody pays any attention to you anymore. I can understand if someone sees you and then you kill them; they could have had a chance to radio who they saw before they got shot, but if you aren't seen, only heard, how do they know who did the shooting?

While this part of the AI did serve some purpose to make things more difficult, it didn't make things any more realistic: Two guards are patrolling an area. Cloak, snipe one, re-cloak. The second guard then goes running around like a chicken with his/her head cut off, generally becoming a nuissance to shoot, but not actually accomplished anything. Sometimes they do that, and sometimes they say "ooh, there must be a sniper, better walk around really slow out in the open", in which case, they're much less annoying to take down.

Those were my only real gripes about the AI; I think there was room for improvement there.

chicxulub
30th Dec 2003, 08:54
I played on realistic and I found the game way too easy. In fact this is my main complaint about the game. And I am not a great player by any stretch of the imagination. While I love the idea of multiple solutions, I felt they were too obvious, and due to lack of skills, too available. Now I know that there mustn't be any way to fail (other than death) but it still could've been made harder with respect to finding solutions to non-combat situations. Perhaps I accidentally hit on a very good combo of augs, but with maxed hack I hacked first and found datacubes later. With maxed vision mod, I found everything (in fact, this felt like a cheat). With maxed strength, my baton was a 1/2 hit take down. I KO'd Billie with 3/4 smacks, and 3/4 shots from my assassin pistol + damage + frag took out each of her spiders.

In spite of this, I did like the game a lot... it is quite good. Not as good as DX1. And not as good as it would've been without parallel XBOX/PC devel. Ion succeeded at provding the same experience on xbox and pc... unfortunately I am used to a better experience on my PC. The xbox is, IMO, a very low common denominator. No one would argue that doing parallel devel for pc and gameboy in order to provide an identical experience would compromise the pc version. While the xbox isn't quite so weak, it is a significantly less powerful platform than a pc. Just the 64M of shared memory alone caused a complete change to the style of the game; smaller maps, smaller textures. And lack of KB required a simpler interface. So a question remains: was the game made so easy to enable success in the xbox market in the same way it was compromised visually and map-wise?

And on the subject of difficulty, why does it only affect combat? The DX family prides itself (justifiably) on multiple solutions to problems, including non-combat solutions. Yet these other solutions don't seem to be affected by difficulty. On higher difficulty how about:
. larger radius of detection for stealth operations
. better hidden datacubes, fewer crates of tnt next to locked doors, etc.
. fewer multitools, health packs, bioenergy cells, clips, etc.
. more locked vents, more that are harder to find.
. more penalty for being detected
. people getting more pissed when you steal everything in their appt while they watch you.

They could even make combat difficult in more interesting ways:
. make you develop an allergy to greasel venom after being hit by it too many times. Then you'll need to be very careful around them.
. permanent damage to body, e.g. bad leg slows you down, bad arm affects aim, like area specific dmg in DX, but more permanent, or more costly to repair.
. damage to augs, repair costs canister.
. damage to weapons: accuracy, jams, etc (like SS2, but only due to damage taken)
. damage to goodies, e.g. rocket blast nukes ammo, multitools, etc in blast radius.
. too much emp permanently lowers bio energy max.

etc. (I could go on forever)
Make the things we love about DX harder on harder settings. I dunno if this would make DX too much like a simulation for it to be enjoyed by DX's original audience. Soldier of Fortune had easy, medium, hard etc, as well as the ability to tweak individual settings. This is, to me, the best way to handle difficulty. Simple for people who just want to play, tweakable to us control freaks.

-cx