PDA

View Full Version : So I was playing Myst III....

Aquarius
20th Aug 2003, 20:38
I decided to pull out Myst III: Exile last night after not having played it in awhile. I forgot just how good the graphics are! :eek: So I got to thinking. What if the company that did Myst III, Presto Studios, were to do TR8 or any other TR game after the AoD series?

Just look at how realistic these screenshots are!

http://www.myst3.com/EXILE_Edanna_1074.jpg

(in the game for this level, I'll get sit there mesmerized by watching the ocean water lol)

http://www.myst3.com/Image_1053_logod.jpg

Imagine having a tiger pop out of a jungle like this! :eek:
http://www.myst3.com/Image_1062_logod.jpg

http://www.myst3.com/Image_1065_logod.jpg

http://www.myst3.com/EXILE_screenshot_24.jpg

Who else is with me for having this type of stunning graphics for the future of Tomb Raider? ;)

Veronica Ma
20th Aug 2003, 20:55
It's funny you should post this cuz i was just thinking about Myst III on my drive home. i was thinking how nice it would be if TR's puzzles could mimic the intense puzzle solving quality that the Myst series has.

not to mention the breathtaking graphics....

i think i would've died and gone to heaven if they could make a "Myst-ish" type Tomb Raider.

kindest regards,
veronica.

Aquarius
20th Aug 2003, 21:23
Could you imagine? A Tomb Raider with Myst style puzzles? :eek: I think I would have died and gone to heaven right along with you. :p

felixthamuss
21st Aug 2003, 00:27
WOW!
I just popped over to the web site to have a further look at this game, and it's on PS2 "yippee" - have to start hunting for it as I haven't seen it in the stores here. Tried to order online but they don't ship outside of US, bummer. Is this a first person shooter or similar to TR where you see the whole person?

Aquarius
21st Aug 2003, 00:29
It's first person, but it's not an action game. I haven't been sure how to describe it other than that it's a fantasy game.

Veronica Ma
21st Aug 2003, 01:15
It's an investigation and puzzle solving game. It's about exploring an area, finding clues, solving puzzles, getting machines to work (so you can enter an elevator type stuff) and progressing through different worlds. The puzzles are so complex, i've got a small sketchpad full of diagrams and notes i made as i played.

I would highly recommend it but you might find it a bit boring if you're expecting a lot of action. But being absolutely enamoured with spectacular scenery, i just can't say enough about it.

take care,
veronica

felixthamuss
21st Aug 2003, 02:05
Sounds great, I love puzzle games.
Thanks all for the information :)

JunoJIm
21st Aug 2003, 02:56
I really liked it too, except some of the "puzzles" are really difficult... but that's what makes it good !!!

Lil Lara
21st Aug 2003, 04:52
sounds and looks like a very cool game! ive never played it before. are all of the mysts good? or is number 3 just great? lol.

THE True Lara
21st Aug 2003, 07:36
Ahhh, Aqua, you're speaking my language :D

MYST is a very different emersion style though. If the graphics could be as good, fine, but I wouldn't want them changing the style of play ...though AOD has already done that once.

Of course, playing TR in and MYST level of real-ness could just be that last push for me into not being able to tell the difference between fantasy ad reality...... ;)

Veronica Ma
21st Aug 2003, 14:51
All this talk about Myst III has got me dusting off my copy and starting a fresh new game. And surprisingly i am having just as good, if not better, time playing it this second time 'round.

thanks for refreshing my memory of this exquisite game.
veronica

Aquarius
21st Aug 2003, 15:16
Originally posted by THE True Lara
Ahhh, Aqua, you're speaking my language :D

MYST is a very different emersion style though. If the graphics could be as good, fine, but I wouldn't want them changing the style of play ...though AOD has already done that once.

Of course, playing TR in and MYST level of real-ness could just be that last push for me into not being able to tell the difference between fantasy ad reality...... ;)

:D I don't think the point and click method of the Myst games would ever fly with TR fans. :p

Wait, so you're telling me you can still tell the difference between fantasy and reality? :eek: ;)

@Veronica Ma: You're quite welcome ;)

TR-AOD
21st Aug 2003, 15:55
Originally posted by Aquarius
:D I don't think the point and click method of the Myst games would ever fly with TR fans. :p

you probabaly right, they would need a big hand pointing to everything telling them what to do :p

Death_Head
21st Aug 2003, 21:13
Myst's graphics are prerendered and not real-time so comparing Myst's with Tomb Raider's or any other "actual 3D" game's graphics is ridiculous and lame. I doubt that anyone would like a point and click Tomb Raider.

Veronica Ma
21st Aug 2003, 21:48
Death Head: i don't think anyone wants a point and click Tomb Raider. i certainly would NOT. We were just saying that if they could mimic the graphic quality and complex puzzle solving of Myst, it might just be a better game.

kindest regards,
veronica

THE True Lara
21st Aug 2003, 23:38
Wait, so you're telling me you can still tell the difference between fantasy and reality? :eek: ;)
Just barely, ...just ;)

JunoJIm
22nd Aug 2003, 04:04
Lil Lara -

The other Mysts were good too, they just improved as they evolved...

Silvers
22nd Aug 2003, 11:33
I loved all the Myst Games too, but I guess that's why I liked the puzzle aspects of TR. Strangley enough I also like straight forward shooting games!

Anyway, as Death_Head mentioned, the graphics are all built on a very powerful machine then rendered and the image files stored on the disc in its entirety as a virtual 3D picture (so you can pan around) so it's going to be a while before you see that level of realism in games like TR, but personally I don't care because I don't want that level of realism in my games, I like the fantasy elements.

Myst has the advantage that it is photorealistic of incredibly fantastic locations, whereas a lot of games are striving for photo realism of cities and stuff. I have a totally photo realistic 3D model of a city - I live in one!

cornchild
23rd Aug 2003, 01:20
The Entire Myst series is great!

I loved them all. In Myst 3 you are immersed in beauty and mystery from the beginning.

If you enjoy point and click adventures like these. You may also want to try the monkey island games they are cool too.

Oh and a good puzzle game is the incredible machine.

The Myst series is amazing though. I hope they make another one soon.

AndrewIII
23rd Aug 2003, 04:41
Originally posted by Silvers
I loved all the Myst Games too, but I guess that's why I liked the puzzle aspects of TR. Strangley enough I also like straight forward shooting games!

Anyway, as Death_Head mentioned, the graphics are all built on a very powerful machine then rendered and the image files stored on the disc in its entirety as a virtual 3D picture (so you can pan around) so it's going to be a while before you see that level of realism in games like TR, but personally I don't care because I don't want that level of realism in my games, I like the fantasy elements.

Myst has the advantage that it is photorealistic of incredibly fantastic locations, whereas a lot of games are striving for photo realism of cities and stuff. I have a totally photo realistic 3D model of a city - I live in one!

And its in-game too,not 3DCG.....

JunoJIm
25th Aug 2003, 03:25
AndrewIII - are you a local that I happen to know ???

Marcus T
31st Aug 2003, 13:35
What if the company that did Myst III, Presto Studios, were to do TR8 or any other TR game after the AoD series?
I'm afraid that isn't a possibility.
Presto studios is no longer. (http://www.dmulk.com/presto/)

Death_Head
6th Sep 2003, 07:09
Originally posted by Veronica Ma
Death Head: i don't think anyone wants a point and click Tomb Raider. i certainly would NOT. We were just saying that if they could mimic the graphic quality and complex puzzle solving of Myst, it might just be a better game.

Sorry for being late with the answer (around a month :D ), but i was saying that myst's graphics are prerendered and the technology of the game is absolutely different so if we want such graphics, it would be possible only in a point and click adventure.

Veronica Ma
8th Sep 2003, 01:20
Has this thread been alive that long?!? :p Anyway, AndrewIII posted some pics a while back of a game (forget the name, sorry) that looked as real as Myst...

Hey, ya never know... :)

kindest regards,
veronica.

Marcus T
8th Sep 2003, 17:51
I've only played Riven myself, but I've seen the first Myst and have had my eyes on Myst III... Riven was a rather tricky game to solve though, me thinks.

Veronica Ma
8th Sep 2003, 20:40
i found Riven extremely hard to figure out. i had to consult walkthough time and time again. Myst III is a beauty. It is easier than Riven and 10 times more beautiful.

kindest regards,
veronica.

Silvers
9th Sep 2003, 12:45
Riven is weird - it took a little while to work out but I can probably complete it in about half an hour now I know how! - well I could if disc 5 wasn't corrupt!

Marcus T
10th Sep 2003, 17:58
Indeed, Riven was rather difficult to solve, and they got some complaints for that too. It seems they listened to it. Sounds like Myst III is definitely worth checking out, thanks for the input Veronica :)

Marcus T
24th Sep 2003, 09:31
Even though Presto Studio, who developed Myst III, won't be handling any more Myst games, a new Myst game is in the works. It's called Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (http://uru.ubi.com/us/). By they original creators of Myst and Riven.

Aquarius
24th Sep 2003, 19:38
Thanks for the link! :D It looks amazing, and I can't wait to get it! It's September now, and it should be out between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not too long now! :D

Marcus T
25th Sep 2003, 17:46
Anytime Aquarius. And hey, I know the feeling :D

Aquarius
25th Sep 2003, 19:16
At least with Uru coming out, there's the assurance that there won't be any delays! :D ;)

THE True Lara
26th Sep 2003, 08:45
If we had sound on this forum, you would have heard a sqeek of delight form this corner when I loaded up the homepage for Uru ;)

That looks fantastic. They really do seem to be going all out with this one. The only part I'm not so enthused about is the interacting with people online bit. I always liked the fact that the people you met in the MYST series were actors captured in real time and placed the environment. Made it feel more real. I hope the computer gen models are limited to the online service only.

The other thing that concerns me is; are they trying to link it to reality? (Which is, in my opinion, a whopping mistake!) after reading 'The Story of Uru' I was sort of left wondering.....

Aquarius
26th Sep 2003, 22:00
After reading the story I'm left wondering too about what happened. It sounds like they're trying to make it more modern, although modern in the Myst games is still futurist looking. :p

THE True Lara
26th Sep 2003, 22:32
I suppose the only way we'll find out is by buying it ;)
Did you notice they'ce switched the game play to 3rd person! :( I'm just grateful they've included an option to go back to play it in 1st person.
whatever the outcome, I think MYST 3 will always be my fav.

Aquarius
26th Sep 2003, 22:56
Uru might have good graphics, but I agree Exile will always be my favorite. :) Which age was your favorite?

I think the 3rd person option might be kinda cool. :)

THE True Lara
27th Sep 2003, 08:58
ooooooohhhhhhhhhh................ I kinda liked the hub-world J'anin best, very empty, and peaceful, I think Amaterin was second best. I really just loved the technology and style of the places, I'd rather live in one of those linking books than here ;)

The reason I liked 1st person was because I felt like I was there, you were seeing it as you'd see it if you were there. I can absorb into the game better in 1st. being in 3rd automatically places you out of the game, no matter how involved in it you get.

Aquarius
27th Sep 2003, 14:35
I liked that too, that in 1st person you felt like you were actually there going through everything. :)

J'nanin was good...I loved the squee (sp?)!! :D So cute! ;)

Amateria frustrates me too much. :p Although I love rolling through the entire course in the glass ball. :D It has really good horizons too. The storms rolling in as the sun sets, beautiful!

I think my favorite has to be Edanna. I just love that age too much! lol I just like finding a place to look out on the water. That just mesmerized me! lol Have you ever done that, just looked out at the water and watch it flow? The central puzzle of Edanna was really good too.

Voltaic age, I just like it because of the ride on the ballon thing. lol

cornchild
27th Sep 2003, 23:57
Cool!

I can't wait for the new myst game.:)

I never finished riven it was way to hard.

I did ,however finish exile. Exile is my favorite. It was so much fun to explore. The enviroments looked so real.

Aquarius
28th Sep 2003, 00:30
Exile is the only one I haven't played. Is it worth it though?

cornchild
28th Sep 2003, 00:48
Exile is the best to me. It really felt like I was in a movie or something.

All the enviroments look real they dont look fake to me at all.

The gameplay was never tiresome to me. If you got stuck it was not long before you had to come back and try it again.

I think you will enjoy it.

Aquarius
28th Sep 2003, 01:08
Ahh! I must have blanked out on when I was writing that. lol I meant to say Riven! lol

I have Exile too, and I love that one the best of all the Myst games. :D

cornchild
28th Sep 2003, 01:28
Riven is ok.

It was very baffleing to me.

I used a walkthrough and still never finished it. lol

Marcus T
28th Sep 2003, 22:33
Ahh! I must have blanked out on when I was writing that. lol I meant to say Riven! lol
Haha, you did have me confused there for a sec Aquarius ;)
Well, as for Riven, it is a challenge. It is actually the only game I've played in the Myst series (see my input on the bottom of the 1st page of this thread), it took me a while, but I eventually solved it. I am unable to compare it to the other games, but I enjoyed it, although I thought it was a difficult nut to crack. By the impression you guys've given me of Myst III, Riven might be a step down for you. Though, if you're a fan of the series and have the other games, I'm pretty sure you'd want Riven too. :)

THE True Lara
30th Sep 2003, 09:43
I got given MYST 3: Exile by a friend who got it free with his graphics card, and didn't want it. When I totally fell in love witht he game I bought the fancy boxset for Myst: The Masterpiece edition, Riven & Exile.
The problm was I never gor round to playing the first two more than half an hour or so, because after playing in the heady-graphical-hights of Exile I found the previous two visually and controlingly frustrating. :(
-It's like playing TR: 4 then going back and playing TR: 1.
I will get round to playing the all the way through one day though ;)

Aquarius
1st Oct 2003, 02:28
Aren't you lost though as to what happened in the first game? There's a lot of references in Exile to Atrus's sons, Sirrus and Achaenar. You'd have to play Myst in order to understand what the references in Exile are all about.

THE True Lara
1st Oct 2003, 11:49
Not if you're actually paying attention in Exile, it's all explained in clues, documents and dialogue as you go along. :p

Aquarius
1st Oct 2003, 19:11
But not the whole story. ;)

THE True Lara
1st Oct 2003, 21:41
are you quite sure.... ;)

Aquarius
2nd Oct 2003, 20:34
No...... :p

THE True Lara
2nd Oct 2003, 22:51
:D

Aquarius
2nd Oct 2003, 23:19
Just think, about two months until Uru comes out! :D ;)

Yeah....good way to change the subject. :p

THE True Lara
3rd Oct 2003, 09:01
..what, ..what's that tinkling clinky sound I hear.....?

....oh, that's right, more money going down the drain ;) :p

Aquarius
3rd Oct 2003, 20:10
More money going down the drain? :confused: Just what exactly are you on about TTL? :p

THE True Lara
4th Oct 2003, 19:49
I'm talking about another expensive computer game :p

Marcus T
5th Oct 2003, 13:00
Oh, I know the feeling, I have a few on the list myself :D It's a matter of priority though... and Uru sure looks interesting ;) When you've started on a series, you just want to continue to see how the story unfolds.

Marcus T
8th Oct 2003, 15:50
Here's a shot at the box:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008Z0IA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Aquarius
9th Oct 2003, 20:13
The feeling I get from looking at that, is that it really looks very cartoonish, just like the first one. Exile looked amazing, and the graphics were so good on it that it looked like it was someplace that actually existed. :eek:

I'm sure Uru will be really good too, I just don't like the slight cartoonish look to it.

THE True Lara
9th Oct 2003, 20:29
I don't think there's a real drop in the quality of the environments, but from the shots I saw I think they may have sacrified a little in their attempt to overgrandise. I still don't like the look of the people. :(

Only time will tell of course.

Marcus T
12th Oct 2003, 18:52
Did anyone of you play the more recent 3D version of Myst - "Real Myst" (http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/realmyst/)?

Aquarius
12th Oct 2003, 19:40
Ooo I didn't know about that. It'd be something good to have! :D Is it basically the same game, just with better graphics?

Have you ever heard of Ages of Myst? :confused:

Veronica Ma
12th Oct 2003, 23:59
Originally posted by Marcus T
Did anyone of you play the more recent 3D version of Myst?
No, but i almost bought it about a year ago. But the sales guy scared me when he told me i needed to have some special computer hardware (3D accelerator i think) i don't know. So i chickened out. :)

Marcus T
26th Oct 2003, 19:20
Well, all cards nowadays have an accelerator function, so unless your video card is more than 5 years old or so, I doubt you need to worry :)

Originally posted by Aquarius:
Is it basically the same game, just with better graphics?

I believe so, but that's what I'm curious about, there may be new additions as well: "At last, the original ages have been rewritten. Myst Island and its Ages live again in astoundingly realistic realtime 3D. Now, finally, see Myst the way the Miller brothers originally intended. See their vision realized.

Objects that had little or no texture in the original are now fully realized in glorious detail. In the original you were only permitted certain views of the age, frozen in space and time. In Real Myst you can walk pretty much wherever you want to, whenever you want to."

Aquarius
27th Oct 2003, 05:21
I just may have to order that, or ask for it for Christmas. :D I still need to order Riven..

Marcus T
28th Oct 2003, 21:33
Indeed, I've had the same idea myself. If you get your hands on Real Myst (before/if I do) I'd be interested in hearing more about it :)

Originally posted by Aquarius:
Have you ever heard of Ages of Myst? :confused:

Unless you're refering to the ages of the world Myst, then... no. What is it? :)

Aquarius
29th Oct 2003, 20:55
There was actually a game out that was called Ages of Myst. I'll see what I can did up online. :)

Marcus T
29th Oct 2003, 23:58
A game? Interesting :) I thought for a while there that it was a book based on the game concept/world... I know there are some novels based on "Myst"...

... decided to check Amazon for "Ages of Myst", and found it. It's a compilation containing Myst, Riven, and making of Riven. (A documentary I'd like to see btw ;) ). Here it is. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00001W0DY/qid=1067471427/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-vg/102-7779295-3131359?v=glance&s=videogames&n=468642)

Marcus T
20th Nov 2003, 21:20
I assume that's the same game you meant, Aquarius? :)

Aquarius
23rd Nov 2003, 03:23
I'm not sure, but someone told me Uru is out in stores now! :D

Marcus T
23rd Nov 2003, 15:32
Yes it is :) "Gonga" posted a thread about Uru over at TRC's forums, and by the looks and sound of it, it's a sure purchase.