PDA

View Full Version : Exploring; rewards?

buddha
20th Aug 2003, 14:53
I just realised something whilst reading a preview on Deus Ex 2. They're getting rid of experience points right, well one of the things for me was that while I was exploring it was great to get some experience points, it would drive me to explore more so I could get that extra skill. So with deus ex 2 what's the incentive to explore this time? What do I get for clicking on a pinball machine in this game? eh? eh?

In the level when your searching for the ambrosia crates, when you find the first crate near the helipad theres the room to the right and up the stairs with a pinball machine game in it, right click that and a secret room opens up behind a bookcase, and to think I just like the sound that the pinball machine makes.

SlicerAce
20th Aug 2003, 15:23
I didn't really care about the experience points for exploration. I was more than satisfied after spending 5 minutes trying to make a basket in Hell's Kitchen with the message "Sign him up for the Knicks!"

Random
20th Aug 2003, 16:29
Originally posted by buddha
In the level when your searching for the ambrosia crates, when you find the first crate near the helipad theres the room to the right and up the stairs with a pinball machine game in it, right click that and a secret room opens up behind a bookcase, and to think I just like the sound that the pinball machine makes.

Did this have anything to do with skill points? I don't remember, but even if you did get an exploration bonus, I think all the items in that secret closet is a better reward than 50 skill points. Exploring the maps trying to find an ammo clip, bio-energy cell, lockpick, and other material rewards is more satisfying than running around every square inch in the hope of receiving a few points.

PDenton
20th Aug 2003, 19:21
I agree with Random here. The reason most people explored was to find all of the extra items, at least that was the reason I went exploring. I mean for 50 points, what can you upgrade, You'd have to get 14 exploration bonuses before you could even become trained in swimming!!! :p Besides the curent skill system made no sense, for example how does finding a hidden room behind a book case help you in the slightest to wear body armour for longer or pick a lock faster? :rolleyes:

Trevion
20th Aug 2003, 19:24
Originally posted by Random
Did this have anything to do with skill points? I don't remember, but even if you did get an exploration bonus, I think all the items in that secret closet is a better reward than 50 skill points. Exploring the maps trying to find an ammo clip, bio-energy cell, lockpick, and other material rewards is more satisfying than running around every square inch in the hope of receiving a few points.

Agreed. Additionally, exploring more and talking to different people often resulted in finding ways through levels that might not have been obvious otherwise.

I did incredible things to find aug cannisters, but other than that I let the gameplay dictate how much exploring I did, not exp. points.