PDA

View Full Version : Can't switch weapons!

Nazo
20th Aug 2003, 05:13
Ok, I just got a copy of the game of the year edition (in other words, it's supposed to be the latest version.) I'm just starting the game, but I can't get very far because my weapons keep getting "stuck" somehow. Nothing I hit will allow me to change to a different weapon, hide it, or anything like that. I can throw the weapon though it will stay on there a few moments even after showing the other weapon I switch to afterwords, but if I pick it back up it's just gone even though it says I picked it up (and I made sure to wait until it dissapeared before picking it back up.)

I can't even imagine what could cause such a bug. The only thing I can think that's unusual about my setup is that I'm using Windows XP and that's a bit of a stretch since it is mostly supposed to cause DX related issues, but I don't know of anything else that could cause any kind of problems with it. One of these days I'm going to try again to set up a dual boot setup, but last time I did it always locked up the moment I installed my video drivers. (Stupid nvidia, I swear I'm tired of all these problems and am going with ati next time.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this problem happens kind of randomly with no warning and when I save, it saves the problem, so I can't really start a game until I figure it out or I'll be burning ammo like crazy.

Catman
20th Aug 2003, 12:41
Okay, this is probably one of the odd little bugs that happen now and then when you try to pick up a box and are standing too close to a wall or nonmovable object -- JC can't quite pick up the box, but he can't drop it either, so it ends up "over" him. You can't see that he's hold the box, but since the game knows he's holding one, you can't use your hands for anything else.

The fix: Equip a weapon and toss it away. That usually causes JC to also drop the box. It may take a couple attempts to get this to work.

If this doesn't fix the problem, let me know.

In the meantime, I going to recreate the problem and try out the fix again. It's been a while since this has come up.

Nazo
20th Aug 2003, 16:06
Would a body count instead of a box? Besides that, the only thing I've picked up was the trash bag, but the problem starts considerably later. I've tried to be a little covert and sneaky and all due in part to the fact that they so strongly emphasise that you are supposed to do your best to not kill everyone and just a plain sheer lack of ammo. Anyway, later I'll be sure to try to go back through without picking up anything except weapons I suppose.

Oh, and tossing a weapon was the one thing that helped, but usually I just end up with another one that was stuck I think. I'll make sure of that too later. It really sucks though because I completely loose that partiular weapon it seems. Also, I can't equip another when it happens, so I pretty much just have to throw away whatever I was using.

Nazo
24th Aug 2003, 19:37
I started YET ANOTHER new game to try to make a save with the problem in it to send to you, and wouldn't you know it doesn't happen again! Thank god, I can finally try this game at last. Bye. Got a lot of gaming to do d-: