PDA

View Full Version : GameShark Help!

hippiechk
19th Aug 2003, 13:52
This really sucks…

I got my GameShark last Christmas, so it's less than one year old. The last few times I tried to use it with PS2 games, the PS2 says "please insert a PS2 comatible disc" Gggggrrrrrrr… PS1 disc works fine, but there are very few PS1 games I still play. Anyway, all of my games work just fine, and memory cards too. So the problem is that the GS PS2 disc is damaged somehow, but no scratches on it.

Yesterday at the mall, I tried to exchange it at the store it was originally purchased from but, I don't have the receipt. They said they couldn't take it because they don't carry it anymore. So then I tried to exchange it at 3 other stores. They all told me the same thing. But some of them carried the Action Replay which, we all know is the same exact thing under it's European name. No deal on exchange with that beacause the barcode on the packages are different. Damn it!

Now, one dude told me to send it back to the manufacturer and try to get a replacement that way. But I have two problems with this - First, I never filled out the registration card for the warranty (but like I said, it is still less than one year old). Second, with GameShark's bad reputation, I am afraid that if I ship this package to them, I will get no replacement, refund, or credit or any kind of acknowledgement at all. And I'll be left out in the cold with nothing.

Any suggestions?

blincoln
19th Aug 2003, 17:21
I had the exact same problem with mine.

I bet if you look on the package, it will have a sticker for the version number, and it will be less than 2.0. The older boot discs don't work on the newer PS2s.

Unfortunately, Interact sold off the Gameshark label to MadCatz, who now make an incompatible product.

What you can try doing is calling customer support for Datel (the makers of the Action Replay) and see if they'll send you a new boot disc. When I got mine (from Interact) I had to call their support line and put up with the biggest jerk on the planet - twice - for like half an hour to get mine. I'm sure Datel is much better though.

hippiechk
19th Aug 2003, 23:13
Thanks Blinc ;)
I just knew you would be the man on this one.

Anyway, the package says version 2. And I will contact Datel. Hopefully I'll get someone nice. I'll let you know how I make out with it.

I forgot earlier too, one guy told me that if the GS2 disc is the only thing not working, I should consider myself lucky as he has had people come back to him saying that their PS2 crashed (and the use of GS voids the Sony warranty) and games and memory cards damaged from it as well. Despite this, I still don't feel so lucky. Any truth to what he said?

Thanks again dude.

blincoln
20th Aug 2003, 00:01
No, he's exaggerating. There is no way to physically damage the PS2 by using a cheat device. If someone came up with malicious codes, they could erase savegames from the memory card, but that's about it - and as long as you use codes from official websites (or mine =P), you'll be safe. I don't know of anyone out there that has the skills to make a dangerous code, the evil intent to do so, and a good enough reputation to convince people to use them anyway.

I'm surprised a version 2 disc doesn't work on your PS2, but yeah, Datel might be able to get you a one. If not, their new version of the Action Replay is only about $20.

hippiechk
20th Aug 2003, 00:34
Yeah, that's what I thought too.
And all my codes came from gfaqs and you ;)

Funny thing is, the version 2 disc worked just fine for 8 months. Then all of a sudden the PS2 just didn't recognize it any more.

I saw the Action Replay yesterday without any chance of an exchange. But the price tag was $40. I didn't want to spend it since someone already spent $40 for me on something that doesn't work any more. If I find it for $20, I'll grab it.

In the meantime, I'll keep you updated on my progress with Datel.

blincoln
20th Aug 2003, 02:50
Hmm. If it used to work, there may be something else going on. Do you have any PS2 games on CD (the ones with the blue bottom, not silver) you can try? I bet they won't work either.

warpsavant
20th Aug 2003, 04:48
You may want to try using a DVD cleaner on the PS2. I also hear if you keep resetting your PS2 it may recognize the disc(eventually), too. And if the disc is cold and the PS2 is warm(or vice versa) that will cause this problem as well I think.

hippiechk
20th Aug 2003, 14:16
Well, I tried many games after this problem started and they all worked fine. Though I didn't notice which ones were blue or silver. I'll have to go check again.

As for the temp, the games and the PS2 are always at the same room temp as they are stored in the same wall unit and rarely leave this house. I'll try the cleaner though.

blincoln
20th Aug 2003, 17:47
PS2 games on CD are pretty uncommon, as far as I can tell. It might be worth it to try playing a PS1 game and see if that works.

hippiechk
21st Aug 2003, 13:59
I never noticed this before but, all of my PS1 game discs are black. Most of my PS2 games are silver and only one is blue. All of them work fine - I just checked. Both GameShark discs are blue too. PS1 disc works, PS2 disc still doesn't. I also cleaned the drive and all the discs. It made no difference.

Anyway, I emailed Datel about my problem. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon. If they don't help, I did find an AR online for $19.90 + $4.20 S&H. That's not bad at all.

Edit: Oh yeah, I tired Mad Catz too. Since they're in the states, I tried to call, but they don't open the phone lines till I have to be at work. I'll have to try them when I get home. That gives me one hour before they close the phones again. Damn time zones!!

hippiechk
27th Aug 2003, 22:00
Damn. One whole week and no response at all from Datel or Mad Catz. :mad:

I hate to spend the $$ on international calls. I'll give it a few more days before I get desperate enough to spend it. Call me cheap, but I just know I'll spend tons while waiting on hold for 30 minutes or more. :(

warpsavant
28th Aug 2003, 20:14
I wouldnt even bother with Mad Catz if I were you. Im sure Datel/Action replay has some type of 800 number, no? Mad Catz really cant help you because they just bought the Gameshark name, the Gameshark they produce is different than the ones we have, they will try to sell you one of those.

I'm guessing Action Replay/ Datel, the doods who made our Gamesharks, are your best bet. But Im guessing they are gonna want to sell you one of their new ones as well. Did you try the codejunkies website (american) Maybe someone over there can help you out. :(

Vampmaster
30th Aug 2003, 16:43
The problem can usually be fixed by standing your PS2 on its side and resetting a bunch of times. It works best if you put your PS2 on standby after it doesn't work and then press the button once to let it try again. If you still can't get it to work, try buying the upgrade disk. It's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new one, it has more up to date codes and just replaces your old disk. I think you can use an AR2 disk with a GS2 dongle as well.