PDA

View Full Version : linux support??

shelbydz
18th Aug 2003, 23:19
I know that there prollly aren't a ton of users in this forum that run anything besides Winblows (: I read that this game is based off the same engine that UT2003 is and that is NATIVE linux support! I'd think that it'd be rather easy to include an installer for Linux.

Anyone know about this?

Grey Mouser
18th Aug 2003, 23:31
Have not heard anything... I would _love_ to see a Linux version of Deus Ex (and lots of other games) but I'll have to say 'Don't get your hopes up'. Chances for any official Linux version are slim-to-none because Linux is not seen as a gaming platform for PC, thus the cost to develop a Linux-friendly game far, far exceeds the possible sales of same, meaning...it probably will not happen, sorry. :(

grayfox148
22nd Aug 2003, 01:44
if there is a linux version i want it i got a split partition

cybersquid
26th Aug 2003, 23:30
Maybe I'm in the minority, but Linux is my game platform of choice.

I do not want to reboot my machine just a play a game. :(

grayswandir
26th Aug 2003, 23:32
oh i totally agree
would be nice to play DeusEx on a stable o s
the most wonderful o s
plus, win is literally sucking ram
and i guess deus ex will be ram-hungry

STUPID_REG_TO_SEARCH_CRAP
18th Sep 2003, 01:34
so many games expect linux support for servers but won't give us a client :|

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
18th Sep 2003, 09:33
hmmm I was talking with a guy from a development company recently (not game company, but I guess it's the same), and he told me what prevented the company from developping for Linux was the lack of a big company to support it : he said if there was a problem, they couldn't ask to one company to fix a bug. instead, open source and dissemined companies working on Linux would force them to wait until someone think about fixing it.

so that's why they prefer developping for Unix or Windows. (at least that's what he told me)

Catman
18th Sep 2003, 17:27
There may be hope: A company named TransGaming Technology has a program called WineX which allows people to play games designed for Windows on Linux boxes. I've read a couple reviews which say it does a reasonably good job.

Since I don't have a Linux box myself, I can't offer any personal insights. However, one of my students is now playing Deus Ex on his Linux box using WineX, and he's happy with the performance.

The downside: To get the binaries, you need to sign up for an account and pay $15US.

<table border=5 cellpadding=10 bgcolor="#ffcccc"><tr><td>Disclaimer: I have provided this information solely as a service to Linux users in the community. If you download WineX and install it on your box, you assume all liability.

Eidos and Ion Storm have no association with TransGaming Technology, and they cannot be held liable if using this product borks up your box.</td></tr></table>

Grey Mouser
18th Sep 2003, 19:06
Cool! Thanks Catman!

Syntax Terror
18th Sep 2003, 19:09
The downside: To get the binaries, you need to sign up for an account and pay $15US

Or u have to do some creative searching, on Google.com for instance, its available for free too.

And no, it's not illegal.;)

WineX allows you to run Windows programs under Linux, just like Wine does. The difference? WineX has DirectX 8.0 support. :D

It's not perfect yet though, there are still bugs and DirectX 9 programs won't run for as far as I know.

Catman
19th Sep 2003, 13:02
I did a little checking with Google -- and the links I found were either dead or pointed to message boards where people pointed out that putting up the binaries, even if you created them, violated the license agreement.

Syntax Terror
19th Sep 2003, 13:18
Do you mean that downloading the free sourcecode, repackaging it to a .rpm and then putting it on the internet is illegal?

If that's true, sorry for getting your hopes up.

If not, it's a great solution for the people who can't download Winex from Transgaming. (thanks to the wonderful system of creditcard payment, which isn't used much here in Europe.)

sangre
15th Oct 2003, 15:25
I would certainly buy a Linux version of Deus Ex AND Invisible War. I know a lot of others who would too (about 40 of my friends/family run Linux exclusively).

The thing is, because there are few games for Linux, any one that comes out has the market cornered for a time period. Look at what happened to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It is a great business move right now.

FliX
16th Oct 2003, 14:08
the biggest problem is DirectX
amost all big games are programmed with DX in the back of the heads.
and well as you might know DX is developed by Microsoft, and they have no plans of making DX Unix compatible

now dont get me wrong i have a dual boot, but for gaming i ONLY use XP and i will in the future..

and btw, Microsoft developes stuff for unix too. so no need to rant at Microsoft.:p

teleflux
23rd Oct 2003, 00:45
a linux version would be super great... I might buy an Xbox just so I don't have to go through the trouble of dual booting to play this game

Tbone
23rd Oct 2003, 01:08
Come to think of it, is DX2 going to have an exclusively DirectX engine, or did they develop an OpenGL engine, too? I'm guessing they didn't considering the amount of work that would be involved, but if they did, you potentially wouldn't need WineX. DX2's engine is a tricked-out Unreal 2 engine, right? Sadly, I'm so far behind on my gaming news that I have no earthly idea if the UT2 engine is DirectX or OpenGL.

Anyway, my only hesitation with WineX is that it's a separate code branch from the Wine project, and won't directly benefit from any developments in Wine. If I understand the GPL correctly, you can't take GPLed code (from Wine, for example) and then use it in a closed-source project. So they may copy ideas, but they can't just take Wine code and crack it out in WineX. DirectX emulation may improve, but I'm guessing the rest of the general Windows emulation will stagnate. I hope I'm wrong, though. Oh, and for a game like DX1, WineX probably only reduces framerate by maybe 10-15 fps, but I suspect it would be quite a bit higher for a game like DX2 or HL2.

Your only other option is to run a PC-emulator under Linux and then install Windows on your emulated PC. Granted, you're still basically running Windows, but if the "computer" crashes, it's no big deal, because the whole thing was just sitting on top of your nice stable Linux system anyway. Gotta love boxes within boxes within boxes...

Vorlin
23rd Oct 2003, 09:40
Tbone's on the right path for sure...if the game is made using graphics involving a directx-related engine, then linux runs out of steam (for the most part) due to the fact that DirectX is MS only. Progs like Wine(X) and VMWare provide an emulation between one OS and another, example being Linux as the primary and Windows XP as the emulated OS. Upside is that you can use "hundreds of Windows applications seamlessly" but that's only because they're talking about non-graphic non-game (mostly) apps that everyone uses. Internet, email, editing, etc...

Emulation of an OS means that you don't talk directly to the hardware at all, merely through an emulation "driver" and that's where it can all fall apart.

However, the day that someone comes up with a true linux-native directx clone that interprets DX code and relatively seamlessly transitions it to linux shared libraries and whatnot, that's the day I quit MS for good, and thank God for that...

Freddo
23rd Oct 2003, 12:11
Originally posted by Vorlin
However, the day that someone comes up with a true linux-native directx clone that interprets DX code and relatively seamlessly transitions it to linux shared libraries and whatnot, that's the day I quit MS for good, and thank God for that... This is what WineX is. WineX doesn't emulate anything. Still, it not finished. DX8 support is almost 100% done, it seems. Newer games, such as Morrowind and GTA3, became playable awhile ago. Which is pretty cool.

Vorlin
23rd Oct 2003, 20:45
Nice! I hadn't looked at Wine in a long time, so forgive my lack of knowledge there. I'd much rather see someone come out with a linux-native game (loki games anyone? I think that's the name) rather than an in-between...

Arubis
24th Oct 2003, 03:46
Originally posted by Vorlin
Nice! I hadn't looked at Wine in a long time, so forgive my lack of knowledge there. I'd much rather see someone come out with a linux-native game (loki games anyone? I think that's the name) rather than an in-between...

Loki it is, or was. They filed for bankruptcy in 2001 and ceased operations entirely on January 31, 2002. Sad, that, but with Loki's failure given zero competition for the Linux gaming market, I doubt too many people will look too hard at trying again in the immediate future. Ports by developers are somewhat encouraging (UT2K3, RtcW and the like), but quite rare.

Speaking as someone who runs GNU/Linux exclusively (for those who care, yes, I'm on a Win2K box at the moment, but it's not mine!), WineX is really my only option for DX2, so I'm hoping that demo comes out SOON so TransGaming folks can get their paws on it.

-- Arubis

nikolokolus
19th Nov 2003, 18:40
There may be hope yet.

Not that there is any word out there, regarding this possiblity, but there is a guy named Ryan C. Gordon who used to work for Loki that works on porting existing code to make games run natively under Linux. He did the lion's share of the porting work on UT2003 for Epic and has a few other projects in the pipeline (America's Army, Medal of Honor, Serious Sam 2nd encounter, etc.).

So if he gets permission from Ion to do so (meaning they release the source code to him) it is not out of the range of possiblity to get a native client for Linux.

But the guy is swamped, He's been at the Medal of Honor project for awhile now and it's now in beta (I believe)

Check out icculus.org for more info (they accept donations too, since they do most of this work for free unless the game developer contracts with them to port a game)

p-i
19th Nov 2003, 20:17
i would like this too but considering <a href="http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_backs/224171_back.jpg">it uses directX 9</a> it's not going to happen (for a while, at least; wineX is still only on dx8, i think).

and wine is not an emulator!

go1dfish
19th Nov 2003, 20:23
Unfortunately, it could be said that the xbox is also to blame for the lack of linux support.

The decision to go with the directx api was likely due in large part to the decision to also release on xbox. Of course directx (being a microsoft product) is in no way shape or form crossplatform

Had IS chosen to at least implement a opengl renderer, the port to osx, and linux would be trivial.

Freddo
20th Nov 2003, 08:15
Originally posted by p-i
i would like this too but considering <a href="http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_backs/224171_back.jpg">it uses directX 9</a> it's not going to happen (for a while, at least; wineX is still only on dx8, i think).I'm pretty sure that DX:IW doesn't use any DX9 specific functions at all. It uses Pixel Shader 1.1, which is a part of DX8.0. Not even DX8.1.

They are most likely using an DirectX renderer instead of a OpenGL renderer because that's what Unreal is. The Unreal engine don't have any good official OpenGL support, does it? The OpenGL renderer for the original DX was included in a patch and wasn't even officially supported.

A VERY good unofficial OpenGL renderer have been released for UT and DX. Just hope that something similiar happens to DX:IW. http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

go1dfish
20th Nov 2003, 08:54
Yes, the current generation of the Unreal engine has good opengl support, they now even include a linux installer on the retail cd's

REMF
20th Nov 2003, 14:17
looks like SUSE could become the linux gamers distro of choice:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12771

i noticed on the transgaming site that DX2 is listed even before its release, so it would appear that the level of interest alone may spur development of an emulator level for DX2.

as to DX2 and DX9 (pun intended :D ), the Unreal Engine is a DX8.1 render engine so in theory should work fine with WineX, but it does depend on whether the ISA's rewritten render engine goes beyond DX8.1.

REMF

p.s. i would LOVE a native Linux DX2 version.

Nico5779
9th Dec 2003, 19:29
i just test it with winex (cvs) , and it don't run for me, but anyway i didn't buy the game and won't buy it but will share it, till there are no native linux support (this means without winex) :mad:

grayswandir
9th Dec 2003, 20:53
Originally posted by Tbone
WineX probably only reduces framerate by maybe 10-15 fps,

wow... As it stands now it means: negative framerate!!!!!