PDA

View Full Version : TRLE Community Level Deux - Thread 0 : Planning

Treeble
16th Aug 2003, 18:27
http://treeble.larashome.co.uk/uno/deux_logot.gif

Well, yes, at last. :)
Welcome back, fellow builders. Hope this thread will bring all of us to an agreement on how shall level deux be.

Vote on the poll! We need votes!

Even if you won't build anything at all in this level, please vote. You may think your vote won't do any difference, but it will! Please, vote!

Member list
01. TrueRaider
02. Staticon
03. Skyld
04. Dhama
05. Tomb Raider Fan
06. Quik Silver
07. Cornchild
08. .chio. (aka noangel)
09. Sk8er Punk
10. Dan The Jazzman
11. Geckokid
12. DJ Tech
13. DriberBallZ
14. Netslider
15. KingSpyder
16. Treeble

But there will be actually 19 people involved with the project. I would rather get someone else to design the wad and tga sets, instead of all builders adding what they want. Would make things easier for all of us. And also someone to do the outfit. So...

17 - WAD Creator: LePerk
18 - TGA Creator: Jesseas
19 - Outfit Designer: Blind Intentions

Of course that to these guys design what they have to, they need to know what kind of level it will be, so the building of the level will only start by mid September (you gotta give time to one vote, right?)

The rules
* Deadline remains as one single week. Delays may occur due to various issues, though.
* Each member can build up to TEN rooms, the only restriction is that your rooms are attached only to your own rooms. You can also put up to THREE 1x1x1 tile connectors anywhere in your rooms, where the next members will insert their rooms. Just avoid big and huge rooms, for the sake of space saving (you're not alone, remember). (total will be a little over 200 rooms)
* In your week, you will have to build your room, texture it, add objects, triggers and lights. The process will be as in Uno - after finishing your rooms, zip the current project and e-mail it back to me (treeble@msn.com).
* Add a number of objects you NEED - remember, you're not alone! So, you have to be sensible enough to share the objects accordingly with all members. It would be ridiculous your room to have a lot of objects when you could give it a much better atmosphere by only adding the necessary. ;)
* All object suggestions must be forwarded to LePerk via e-mail (leroy_perk@yahoo.com.au). He will build the wad, so he is free to choose the suggestions he prefer and think would fit better. If we'll build an arctic level, why would he add an Egyptian sarcophagus He will maximize the wad, though, adding as much objects as possible and trying to suit everyone. If problems with the wad pop up during the level design, please notify LePerk as soon as possible so he can fix that.
* The same work with textures, but suggestions shall be e-mailed to Jesseas (jjasjj@yahoo.com.br)

If you have suggestions, complains, ideas and comments, feel free to post 'em! Thank you all for your attention and interest.

The site for the community levels is under last stages of development.

TrueRaider
16th Aug 2003, 19:29
Hi, I'd like to take part if that's ok, since I did a part of the first level, I can drop out if there are lots of members who want to take part that didn't in the first one. One thing about the .tga and wad sets, I think it is far far better if each builder adds the ones they needs because if just one person makes them it is just as restrictive as having one standard .tga or wad like the first level.

cornchild
16th Aug 2003, 20:12
I can't wait till it starts.:)

If the museum idea is used I hope some tr1 egypt tiles are thrown into the texture set.

eTux
16th Aug 2003, 20:18
I wouldn't mind joining myself again - but then again - I think new members should have the chance to show their skills, since there are only 15 spots for level builders. I don't want to tell other members that took part in the previous cOmmunity level what to do and what not, but I don't think they should join in this one again, for the reason that others should have a chance too (that of course excludes Treeble, since he leads this level too, I presume) :(
Of course I don't make the rules, and this is just my opinion and if everyone else doesn't mind, let it be :)

I don't think the museum theme is that bad - lets say 2 or 3 people work on one exhibition - they can make still make their own rooms - as exhibitions can take place in more rooms, you know :)

The museum itself doesn't need that many textures - one or 2 for the walls, one for the floor, and one for the ceiling - the rest could be dedicated for the exhibitions :)

Another suggestion could be the india level set - waterfalls, outside areas or temples - the author can choose whatever he/she wants from that if you find the museum too limiting :)

dhama
16th Aug 2003, 21:00
I plum for arctic.

And i'd also like to put myself forward to build a room as a gesture of remembrance to Data's initial idea and Treeble's unflinching fervour in the face of constant adversity (ahem!... those who though it would never come to fruition.) ;)

Tomb Raider Fan
16th Aug 2003, 21:40
I would love love to help so u can put me down if thats ok. I didn't join the first one but want to join this 1 cos i regret not joining the first 1 :)

Treeble
16th Aug 2003, 23:19
Originally posted by TrueRaider
One thing about the .tga and wad sets, I think it is far far better if each builder adds the ones they needs because if just one person makes them it is just as restrictive as having one standard .tga or wad like the first level.

And that was exactly my point, Sick Puppy ( :D ). I mean, what if the member before you decides to add a wolf in the DOG slot (just examples!), and you had the idea of adding a raptor, which uses that slot. You'd be pissed off! And that's what I don't want. So, if one person NOT involved with the building process would design a wad suitable to the level, it would work somehow like Uno did. This does NOT mean the wad will be used as is. It might need some tuning ya know ;)

Regarding re-joining, well, I added both you and eTux with a note by your names. I don't think there will be many builders willing to join, because, well, there aren't many regulars now. So, if you are willing to leave in case new faces appear, THEY will be happy. :)

Thanks dhama :)
~Treeble

Quik Silver
17th Aug 2003, 03:13
Can i join?

i'm not the best at level building but i'm alright. I played the first level and it was pretty cool.

Also, I think that it should be an Arctic level, with some parts set inside and some outside using the snow effect.

aktrekker
17th Aug 2003, 06:45
If this is an Egyptian level, people might compare it to level uno. I don't think that would be fair to the new builders.
A museum level would be ok, but I tend to not care for those modern type levels. The 8-foot thick walls just don't let you create good buildings.
So I voted Arctic. The only issue here is that the snow effect uses an extra room.

Oh, and then...Level Uno, Level Deux...:D

sk8er punk
17th Aug 2003, 17:32
Can I work on the level? If there's too many people I can do the outfit, but working on the level would be great!

I'm about to vote arctic!

sk8er

Dan the Jazzman
17th Aug 2003, 19:45
I'd love to build a part as well! If not, then I could also build the wad file, I think I'd be quite good at that (my friend gets me to build his wads for him since he's on a mac and doesn't have all the tools we do! lol) Though of course, to build a wad file everyone else would need to tell me what they want, maybe with a revision once they've built the first draft of their level (untextured, like last time, if that's the way we were going to do it).

Also, may I just suggest, we may be able to add a bit of a structure to it? As in, she gets through three people's rooms and finds a key, then goes back to the first place and uses the key to get to the fourth person's room... or something like that? I dont' know. Maybe. I'm just fantacising already. :D

Anyway, yes, I'd be very happy to build a room, or the wad, or both! Drooling already :D

Incidently, I don't feel particularly strongly about the location, but I don't think egypt would be particularly appealling. Other than that, I dont' really mind :)

TrueRaider
17th Aug 2003, 22:06
Lol ok Lucas I see your point. But as long as the wad maker is willing to take suggestions, and then he/she can sort them out ;)

Tomb Raider Fan
17th Aug 2003, 22:08
I think its a really good idea to let just one person build the WAD and another person to build the TGA set. Thats a wise idea! It's saves confusion i guess...

DJ Tech
17th Aug 2003, 23:40
I had lots of fun with the last one, so COUNT ME IN!!!:)

Treeble
18th Aug 2003, 00:07
Thanks everyone. :)

@Dan
There won't be a point where all rooms will appear untexturized. There will be only one stage to build, texture, light AND add objects. Perhaps that's why the wad/tga are the priorities now. Whenever everything is set, you will just give suggestions to the wad creator. The suggestions (S)HE likes, will be taken. Dealing with Deux might be a little trickier, but the final result will be better (I hope so).

And yes, there will be a structure. Each member add up to 4 connectors to his room, which does not mean all of them will be used. You will have the choice to attach yours to wherever you want, and in case you want to add, say, a door to the key you added in your room in someone else's room, you just gotta get his agreement. Might be a little tricky, but if everyone gets to an agreement, the thing will flow smoothly.

You guys have freedom of speech, so if you think something else would fit better than what I said, say so! I can't read your minds ;)

Thanks!
~Treeble

cornchild
18th Aug 2003, 16:55
I have an idea about the wad building.

If the museum idea is used and several different styles need to be put in the wad you could have a 8 styles since there are 8 door slots. Liek 1 door from egypt one door from the jungle and so on. Then, divide the static slots among these styles.

Since is is exhibits the enemys don't really have to fit. If you are walking through a arctic exhibit and all of a sudden you are bombared by a dog you could just say that a guard lost his watch dog in that exhibit. lol

I don't know if this helps but, It was just some ideas.

Kiopo
22nd Aug 2003, 04:02
Good to see you're still sticking at it. Never got to play the last level, don't have the editor installed anymore.... and quit TRLE a long time ago lol. Hey to everyone btw, if anyone needs to contact me add kiopo@kiopo.com to your msn list.

Thnx all

LePerk
23rd Aug 2003, 13:03
I don't want to build anything but I would like to be involved so I guess I'll put my hand up to be the WAD guy.

I voted for Artic becoz there are plenty of Egypt levels and I've just finished making a Museum level.

leroy_perk@yahoo.com.au

Quik Silver
25th Aug 2003, 07:13
Well I noticed that noone had applied for the tga file, so if I could still create a room, I would also do the textures providing everyone told me in detail what they want and there weren't too many textures for the file.

bye
Q.S.

Treeble
26th Aug 2003, 12:20
Not to worry yet, Quik Silver. There's still time for new members to join and to vote :) But anyway, you'd have to choose either to build a room or to create the targa set. Thanks for the offer, though; ;)

Treeble
29th Aug 2003, 00:27
Heya fellow members! :)
I finally wrote a draft of Deux rules. Of course, everything in here is subject to change and - of course - I want your opinions. Please post your comments regarding it, I think they cover the entire project, however, I may be wrong. If you see I forgot something (I am human just like you ;) ), please post.

The Rules
* Deadline remains as one single week. Delays may occur due to various issues, though.
* Each member can build up to TEN rooms, the only restriction is that your rooms are attached only to your own rooms. You can also put up to THREE 1x1x1 tile connectors anywhere in your rooms, where the next members will insert their rooms. Just avoid big and huge rooms, for the sake of space saving (you're not alone, remember). (total will be a little over 200 rooms)
* In your week, you will have to build your room, texture it, add objects, triggers and lights. The process will be as in Uno - after finishing your rooms, zip the current project and e-mail it back to me (treeble@msn.com).
* Add a number of objects you NEED - remember, you're not alone! So, you have to be sensible enough to share the objects accordingly with all members. It would be ridiculous your room to have a lot of objects when you could give it a much better atmosphere by only adding the necessary. ;)
* All object suggestions must be forwarded to LePerk via PM/e-mail (LePerk, what do you prefer?). He will build the wad, so he is free to choose the suggestions he prefer and think would fit better. If we'll build an arctic level, why would he add an Egyptian sarcophagus ;) He will maximize the wad, though, adding as much objects as possible and trying to suit everyone. If problems with the wad pop up during the level design, please notify LePerk as soon as possible so he can fix that. (LePerk, do you agree?)
* The same work with textures, however, there is not a person for that role yet.

So, what do you all think? :)
We will start actual development in mid September, when the tga/wad sets will be started. Later on early October members will design their rooms. :) If you didn't vote yet, please vote!

With everyone's collaboration, the level will flow smoothly. ;)
Thanks.

LePerk
29th Aug 2003, 11:22
Treeble what's 'PM' as in PM/e-mail.

E-mail me is best, with suggestions.

When the wad is built i'll probably put it on my website for download. (I have a only a 2.5MB file size limit on my mail)

Of couse when building starts the wad will probably change but I think i'll be able to cope.

mail: leroy_perk@yahoo.com.au
web*****e: http://trleperk.tripod.com

It currently is web*****e but i'll change before everyone uses it.

Tomb Raider Fan
29th Aug 2003, 12:23
Yea the hotmail attachment file size limit is only something like 2.5mb but i have another email address which is my dads and can take any attachment size :)

Iam looking forward for this sequel will be good fun!

WoW 10 rooms is alot! Thats good! I didn't help out in the first so im just checking the rules out :)

I don't get how u can only connect doors to ur own rooms. Wouldn't u have to connect at least one door from the member before to start ur room?

Treeble
29th Aug 2003, 12:58
Leroy, PM is short for Private Messages. You can access yours (to send and recieve) clicking on the "User CP" option right by the Eidos logo (at the top screen).

TRF, well, I meant you can build up to ten rooms, but they can be only attached to themselves. The first one, will, however be connected to previous members tile connector. Clear as mud? :D

Don't worry about e-mail sizes. This time around I will upload the files and e-mail the urls to the members.

Tomb Raider Fan
29th Aug 2003, 17:04
Thanks...That wot i thought...Looking forward to it

Dan the Jazzman
29th Aug 2003, 22:04
Just out of interest- and I'm sure 10 rooms is enough- do flipmap rooms count as two? After all, they take two rooms (room X and flipped room X) so to share the limited number of rooms around would it be a good idea to do this, or do you think that there will be enough spare rooms to allow some people to have flipmaps?

Quik Silver
30th Aug 2003, 00:52
What are tile connectors?

aktrekker
30th Aug 2003, 10:40
Originally posted by Quik Silver
What are tile connectors?

All he means is a 1x1 room to show where someone should connect their rooms to your rooms.

eTux
30th Aug 2003, 11:31
As for the flipmaps - I believe if you have (for example) 5 stacked rooms and make each of them a flipped room you have used your 10 room limit ;)

And since arctic is wining at the moment, how have you imagined it to be - a lost city of Tinnos style arctic - or a TR2 arctic type of level (like the russian base, or the monastery, or catacombs?).

dhama
30th Aug 2003, 12:20
I think it'd be interesting to see how each and everyone of us interprets an arctic scenerio instead of following a theme. That's what I liked about the first one.

Tomb Raider Fan
30th Aug 2003, 12:53
Originally posted by eTux
And since arctic is wining at the moment, how have you imagined it to be - a lost city of Tinnos style arctic - or a TR2 arctic type of level (like the russian base, or the monastery, or catacombs?).

A Catacombs style level would be cool and different...Like in Tomb Raider 2..The Barkhang Monastry (Spelling?) I don't think i've seen a level like the Barkhang Monastry so that would be good..But it isn't really atric is it...:rolleyes:

Dhama: Did u help out in the first Community Level??? :)

eTux
30th Aug 2003, 13:01
Just to be clear - under 'catacombs' I meant "Catacombs of Talion" style of level :)As for the monastery - well, these days everything that has snow and ice in it is considered as an arctic level - so I don't think that would be bad :D

Tomb Raider Fan
30th Aug 2003, 13:08
Just to be clear - under 'catacombs' I meant "Catacombs of Talion" style of level :)As for the monastery - well, these days everything that has snow and ice in it is considered as an arctic level - so I don't think that would be bad :D

Yeah thats wot i meant..The Catacombs Of Talion..I would like to do a Catacombs Of Talion style level..Would u guys?

Dan the Jazzman
30th Aug 2003, 13:14
Like Dhama said, I think everyone should be able to put together a room as they want, if the TGA set has lots of different arctic textures (some from the catacombs, some from antartica in TR3 etc.) then everyone can do what they want with them :)

Tomb Raider Fan
30th Aug 2003, 14:37
Sounds like a good idea...

Treeble
30th Aug 2003, 19:45
Like in the first one - the targa had various kind of textures, and even though it was "Egyptian" it doesn't mean it was 100% made of SAND. This one can have caverns, temples, small bases, well, anything that "Arctic" can accept ;)

As for the flipmaps - I believe if you have (for example) 5 stacked rooms and make each of them a flipped room you have used your 10 room limit ;)

That's right, Elvis :)
Just to remind, this time they don't need to be stacked. They can be attached in any way, as long as your rooms only attach to your own rooms ;)

Netslider
31st Aug 2003, 21:43
I want to join. May I join?
By the way, I think it should be something else, something that hasn't been explored too much like a haunted mansion, hi-tech buildings, vulcanos.

Jesseas
31st Aug 2003, 23:43
I'd like to design the tga, can I? :rolleyes: :D blah...

Blind Intentions
1st Sep 2003, 14:13
Though I'm not an experienced level editor, I would love to design an outfit for the project. :)

Treeble
1st Sep 2003, 14:29
Sure ;)

Btw, Netslider, well, it could be. It would be a little trickier to merge various ideas though, in a vulcano. Hi tech bases? There are plenty of them already :) A mansion could be cool, though :cool:

Tomb Raider Fan
1st Sep 2003, 16:23
Yeah a Mansion idea would be cool also!

Trangel
2nd Sep 2003, 13:12
I would like to be an outfit designer

Treeble
2nd Sep 2003, 13:20
Sorry TRAngel, Blind Intentions will do our outfit. He joined a few days earlier.

Trangel
2nd Sep 2003, 13:26
fine the last time i'll do any favors for anyone LOL
but next time if there is one I want to be the first one okay
peace

Quik Silver
3rd Sep 2003, 06:12
Looks like we're nearly sorted then.

CU

Blind Intentions
3rd Sep 2003, 15:11
Hmmm close poll...I go ahead and start making an artic outfit

TrueRaider
3rd Sep 2003, 20:01
A Mansion would be great ;) :D (GOTTA help with that)

Tomb Raider Fan
4th Sep 2003, 15:12
Ur the expert on making mansions eh TrueRaider... ;)

dhama
4th Sep 2003, 21:46
A mansion may not be the best idea, Going from room to room can get a little tedious and the rooms will all turn out different depending on who designed them, but with an arctic scenerio, the imagination of each builder could certainly design an interesting level(game)that could be limitless in it's approach.

@TRFAN: no, dhama did not participate in Level Uno. ;)

LePerk
5th Sep 2003, 02:23
I haven't seen any of Blind Intentions outfits, have you got some screenshots of previous work?

Making Lara look good is very important to me, especially if you can do it with as few textures as you can.

But I have seen TRANGLE's work and it's great so, I vote for TRANGLE to do the outfit if Blind Intention pulls out for any reason.

Blind Intentions
5th Sep 2003, 04:36
Originally posted by LePerk
I haven't seen any of Blind Intentions outfits, have you got some screenshots of previous work?

Making Lara look good is very important to me, especially if you can do it with as few textures as you can.

I have threads of outfits all over this forum, the search tool comes in handy silly ;) My website is on my sig, there you'll find many different types of styles, characters and such. I'll have to disagree about the textures...In my opinion, the more textures an outfit has the better because it shows more customization, uniqueness and effort. I try to take it a step further

LePerk
5th Sep 2003, 11:58
Sure lots of textures is nice but there are texture limits and if we are going to have, what is it, 16 builders all wanting different objects for their part this could be a problem. I always run into this problem and I'm only one builder.

I am checking your outfits now.

Wow, great outfits. I've actually tried using the Tomb Raider two movie outfit. I think it looks great but I didn't use it for two reasons. The minor reason is the wad texture limit but the major reason it didn't fit with my level.

The best outfit is Gadzok AOD. Lara looks a bit ruffled and very mean. The rolling at the bottom of her shirt gives real depth.

Treeble
5th Sep 2003, 14:08
Leroy, do you use TRWest or WadMerger? I can tell that using TRWest is way quicker to get to the texture limit than using WadMerger. I myself never had this problem before, no matter how many wad textures I had in my levels (Vendetta had many different wad textures).

If that's the case, I suggest you to learn Wadmerger. It's easier and very better than TRWest, even if because TRWest is discontinued.

LePerk
7th Sep 2003, 00:20
I use WADMerger. I know that TRWest just keeps adding textures and WADMerger removes the unused ones. It's just that I like putting in a lot of objects. In my Trog Tech level I filled every static slot.

I get over the problem by retexturing many of the objects, but I do it in a way to reduce textures but make it look like I haven't.

Treeble
9th Sep 2003, 12:36
Ok LePerk, hopefully we won't have any problem :)

Just informing you all this is the last week to vote on the poll. Next week we start on the wad and tga set suggestions/requests :)

.chio.
10th Sep 2003, 03:17
I want to built something even a very lil room! please if you need someone else later, tell me!!! I already built rooms for the first comunity level! I am noangel I got another account because mine was disabled it says I'm 13 and need my parents permission and bla bla bla :o that's nice but actually I'm 26! so I gave up mailing the webmaster who must be really busy!

Treeble
10th Sep 2003, 22:52
Sure .chio. :) Now the team is complete :)
I will draw the designers to decide the building order and will post that and some other things Saturday.

Thank you all guys, without you this wouldn't exist :)

Treeble
13th Sep 2003, 18:06
Gosh, just when I thought we were ready to start I come to post the order of builders (at the first post!) I realize it's 11-11 :o

The poll will not close automatically, but the scenery will be decided at late Sunday, so vote if you didn't!

Skyld
13th Sep 2003, 18:15
Hi, I would like to help if someone decides to drop out. I think arctic landscape would be more effective, because you can have caves, temples, tunnels, tombs... Whereas a museum setting would be more limiting, but any would work.

Treeble
14th Sep 2003, 20:07
Hi Skyld. Currently we are full, BUT, TrueRaider and eTux said they would drop out if needed. It's up to them now. TrueRaider? eTux??

There's about 3 hours until the poll is "officially" closed. :)

Treeble
15th Sep 2003, 11:04
Decided it is, arctic it will be. ;)
I will start up a new thread later, so mods, you can close this one and put it down to the usual threads. Thanks! :)

eTux
15th Sep 2003, 12:58
Since I was put first on the list, I had already decided how Lara's arrival in an arctic environment could look and feel (an idea from an unpublished level of mine, that was scrapped) but I'll keep to my words - if anyone else wants to take part - feel free to replace me with him/her :) (in other words - yes - I'll gladly drop out, so Skyld can take my place)

Treeble
15th Sep 2003, 13:53
Then in that case I will switch you and TrueRaider, so TrueRaider does the first room, since he already knows how the thing works, and then finally replace you by Skyld. :)

BUT, you still can give away your idea :D - or better, your level :D :D

eTux
15th Sep 2003, 14:01
Well... errr... I deleted that level, where that idea was put to work, so I wouldn't waste any more time on it :o Wasn't a good level anyway - too dark and far too many switches, but it was an arctic adventure :p

As for the idea - nah!... I'll better spare it for one of my future levels then :p

Skyld
15th Sep 2003, 16:02
Alright eTux, but only if you're sure. I'm sure you're a much better level maker than me :) .

eTux
15th Sep 2003, 17:16
Don't worry Skyld, everyone should have a chance - I had mine with Community level 1, so it's only fair (from my view) that I step back now to allow fresh blood to flow in the project ;)