PDA

View Full Version : Lock-ups

scratch
16th Aug 2003, 15:19
First, many thanks to Eidos and Ion Storm for bringing out this great game. This is my first rpg and I'm having a blast.
Been having a problem with screen lock-ups while in game.
Up dated my vid and sound card drivers. Installed the "Game of the Year" patch for Audigy cards, but still getting occasional lock ups using sound card acceleration.
System specs: P 4, 2 gig, 512 ram, G Force 4, SB Audigy Gamer, OS Win 98se.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Catman
16th Aug 2003, 15:29
You may have no choice but the lower some settings, like not using sound card acceleration or lowering some graphics settings.

Another thing you could try if you're not intimidated by opening your computer is to reseat the sound and video cards. Not a likely cause, but you never know.

Lastly, if you haven't done so, try upgrading your DirectX to the latest version (9.0a, I belive). I've found that the game does run a little smoother, even on my old, worn-out rig.

Bio Denton
16th Aug 2003, 16:40
If you can get DX9a, install it. I wouldn't install DX9b though, it is unstable.

scratch
17th Aug 2003, 13:00
Thank you gentlemen, for the quick response.
Microsoft is now only featuring Dx 9.0b (typical). The only referance to 9.0a is for 9.oa SDK. Software Development Kit. I think this is not what I'm looking for. Found a German site on Google that has 9.0a, but my deutsch has become a little rusty. Sigh!
Anyway I won't pull the cards. Lazy...not intimidated.
Discontinued using hardware accelleration. Lock-ups still occur, but less frequently. Think I'll play it this way untill I can find Dx 9.oa or MS fixes b.
Many thanks for your input.
:)