PDA

View Full Version : 5 State Blackout

Kain's Ancient Blade
15th Aug 2003, 15:42
I just wanted to make sure everyone was OK in the 5 States and parts of Canada that suffered major blackouts yesterday. I for one who live in New York had to walk home from Manhatten in very uncomfortable shoes and am extremely exsausted this morning. Just hope everyone else here is Ok and no one was hurt.

Umah Bloodomen
15th Aug 2003, 15:45
So far so good, here in The Great Lake State. (Michigan).

Here's another related thread from the Community Chat (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22736)

And another one. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22715)

Still waiting to hear from a couple regulars, but thankfully everyone seems to be okay. :)

Esoteric
15th Aug 2003, 16:04
I wonder what started the blackout. o_O

Kain's Ancient Blade
15th Aug 2003, 16:10
Originally posted by Esoteric
I wonder what started the blackout. o_O

Blame Canada. LOL

So far so good, here in The Great Lake State. (Michigan).

I thought you were from the Umahim Territory. You are cunning, Umah- But i think you've gotten tangled in your own web.:D

Umah Bloodomen
15th Aug 2003, 16:10
From what I initally heard yesterday, it was a power plant in Niagra Falls. What I am hearing now, on the local news, is that the surge originated here in Michigan. I haven't heard anything further on this secondary report as-of-yet and will let everyone know if/when I do.

KAB ~ Michigan is the *real world* equivalent of the Umahim Territory. I have to put it in perspective for the non-vampiric beings, you know? :D

Kain's Ancient Blade
15th Aug 2003, 16:21
KAB ~ Michigan is the *real world* equivalent of the Umahim Territory. I have to put it in perspective for the non-vampiric beings, you know?
;)

From what I initally heard yesterday, it was a power plant in Niagra Falls. What I am hearing now, on the local news, is that the surge originated here in Michigan. I haven't heard anything further on this secondary report as-of-yet and will let everyone know if/when I do

As least you have news to watch. The only station working on my tv is the home shopping network. But I have kept myself busy watching season 1 of CSI on DVD.

Umah Bloodomen
15th Aug 2003, 16:40
You're not missing very much. We're lucky to hear something *new* every 2 or so hours. (It's been non-stop power outage coverage).

As many of us are already aware, yes, the power is out, it's slowly coming back on. How many times do you need to repeat it? LOL :p

EDIT: Update, looks like we're laying blame on Northern Ohio now. LOL

2 Million still without power, looks like it will be another couple of days yet before all is restored.

Esoteric
15th Aug 2003, 17:09
*snickers* Well... whenever any major catastrophe (or even small ones) occur... it is immediately followed by angry finger pointing.

Oh and KAB... *boots you in the arse* Don't get me started on that "Blame Canada" crap. :p :D

Umah Bloodomen
15th Aug 2003, 17:15
I am having flashbacks of the South Park movie. :D

Kain's Ancient Blade
15th Aug 2003, 17:22
Oh and KAB... *boots you in the arse* Don't get me started on that "Blame Canada" crap

The song has a cool ring to it. Besides just re stating what the newspaper said this morning. But i got nothing against Canada. Some of my favorite and finest Wrestlers come out of Canada.

hippiechk
15th Aug 2003, 17:24
Thank God I don't live in New York anymore! But I'm not far from it. I didn't lose power her in central New Jersey, but my family and friends in north Jersey did.

My mother-in-law lives and works in NYC. She was supposed to leave on a cruise for Nova Scotia yesterday afternoon. She left for the ship yesterday morning and boarded. It was supposed to set sail from New York harbor at 5 pm. No one has heard from her since and no one knows if the ship left the port or not. I suppose it should have as ships are self sufficient in that manner.

My mother is an RN at St. Vincent's Hospital in NYC. I have no idea what kind of hell she went through yesterday, but I expect to talk to her later today.

I feel bad for those who got stuck in elevators and on subways. And what about hospital patients in the middle of surgery? I imagine they had the worst experiences.

This all reminded me of the big blackout in 1977. I was 10 and my mom had to cook all the food in the fridge in order to save it from going bad. And no air conditioner! We nearly died from the heat then.

Esoteric
15th Aug 2003, 17:27
Umah: hehe you know, I have never actually seen that movie. :p

KAB: *patpats* Oh, its ok... you don't have to make excuses... I asumed you were *cough* joking anyway. :D

Umah Bloodomen
15th Aug 2003, 18:29
It's pretty humorous. As long as you're not overly defensive being Canadian, you should enjoy it. :)

You know, I just remembered two other members near and dear to our hearts here in the LOK forums who are still MIA:

Lord Biscuit (TM) aka warpsavant and Apocrypha Roxy.

Come back little forumites. Come back. :D

warpsavant
15th Aug 2003, 19:03
Im back Im back. Its hard to turn the computer on when I got no power.

I lost my whole NCAA recruiting class and 2 5 star LB's!!! I was so pissed off.

Before the power went off, all the lights started to get really dim-
I didnt realize what was going on- I thought I was going blind! I was like wow its gettin really dark in here. Then everything just tripped out.

hippiechk
15th Aug 2003, 19:58
Apocrypha lives in Brooklyn, NY. No doubt she's had no power for 24 hours now.

My mom called - hospital has power from back up generators, but she's still having a hell of a time getting home to Jersey again today. It's not pretty at all.

And Warp - it sucks you lost all that work.
And when you do have power, you need to empty your PM box dude!

warpsavant
15th Aug 2003, 20:22
yeah that pesky inbox....always givin me problems.

I hope Roxy is ok, and I hope Hippies Mom finds her way home safely. I can't believe some people still don't have power! They need to reopen the Shoreham Nuclear Plant. I should kick my neighbors in the ass for having that thing shut down.

KAB : The Pink and Black attack!

Umah Bloodomen
15th Aug 2003, 21:03
Our reactors here have been fine. We've still got 2 million customers without power, with severe thunderstorms in many areas.

Doesn't look good for the Dream Cruise tomorrow at all.

Nice to see you back, Biscuit. :D

blincoln
16th Aug 2003, 00:31
I was just thinking the same thing, Warp. Fission power has its problems, but IMO it's the best source we've got until fusion systems can be built. Having so much of the continent dependent on one power source seems dangerous to me.

Umah Bloodomen
16th Aug 2003, 00:34
Dangerous, stupid...same thing really. ;)

Apocrypha Roxy
16th Aug 2003, 02:04
Hiya!

26 hours with no AC or running water. Check CC for my 'interesting events'.

Thanks for the concern, guys, never knew you cared so much! Warp - how'd it go for you? I have alot of family in SI/LI, and they got their power back in good time. I just got it at dinner time. Everyone in the buildings was cheering.

And I could actually see my hallway/stairwell again. The elevators functioned finally for the old folks all the way up the 19th floor.

No more need for Sam Fisher goggles!!!

VAE VICTUS!

It's good to be back. :D

Umah Bloodomen
16th Aug 2003, 02:07
Just between you and I Roxy, I thought Biscuit was behind this chaos. ;)

Hell hath no fury like a Biscuit scorned, I say. :D

Apocrypha Roxy
16th Aug 2003, 02:17
Don't you mean Hell Hath no Fury like a Biscuit SCORCHED?

:D

We were all roasting, ya know... I wouldn't be suprised if he got half-baked!

Umah Bloodomen
16th Aug 2003, 02:27
Anyone got any honey? He could be mighty tasty. :D

warpsavant
16th Aug 2003, 02:49
OMG Roxy 26 hrs?! I'm so very sorry. If I had never purchased that Uranium from the North Koreans and brought it to Shoreham this may not have ever happened.

Power out here came back on at different times. Power where I am was on in around 6 hrs, but did not come back on until this afternoon in other places.

And I think Michigan was tthe hardest hit. We dont know anyone from Michigan do we?

Umah Bloodomen
16th Aug 2003, 02:51
Originally posted by warpsavant
And I think Michigan was tthe hardest hit. We dont know anyone from Michigan do we?

Don't know if I should blame that comment on heatstroke or old age. **ponders, then decides to run*** :p

Adrian Tepes
16th Aug 2003, 02:57
I tend to think that we will never know the truth behind the power outage. The Good Ol' Illuminati doesn't want us to know and will seduce the media into spreading the lies.

I know I sound like Dale Gribble from King of The Hill, but alt.black.helicopters is where the answer lies.

Apocrypha Roxy
16th Aug 2003, 02:59
We'll swamp him with honey while you make your escape!

Mmm, mighty tasty!

:p

Umah Bloodomen
16th Aug 2003, 03:01
Dale Gribble. Hahahah.

I like how ol' Dubya is a power-expert lately too. LOL

"We need to modernize" our power grids. Um, you think? **shakes head**

I seriously would like to know what genius linked us all together. Brilliant. :p

Apocrypha Roxy
16th Aug 2003, 03:01
HEY welcome back Adrien!

Feels better to be in your old 'skin', right?

I'd look funny with Apocrypha R. Oxy, or something... yikes :eek:

warpsavant
16th Aug 2003, 03:07
Yo there were alot of helicopters flying around here yesterday....

Adrian Tepes
16th Aug 2003, 03:12
Originally posted by Apocrypha Roxy
HEY welcome back Adrien!

Feels better to be in your old 'skin', right?

I'd look funny with Apocrypha R. Oxy, or something... yikes :eek:

Thanks R. Oxy.:D :p

It feels good to be back in my old vampire body.

By the way Umah, did you see ol' Dubya during his inauguration? My friends and I could have sworn that we saw some suspicious looking smoke billowing out of his presidential limo!:confused:

EDIT: I was serious about the Illuminati!

Apocrypha Roxy
16th Aug 2003, 03:13
Yeah, they were patrolling the skies everywhere. I didn't see any, myself, but they were there.

>zzzzzzzzooooooooooooooommmmmmmm!!!<

I always wanted to fly...

Umah Bloodomen
16th Aug 2003, 03:14
Must have something to do with Moebius. He's a dealer in his spare time you know?

Apocrypha Roxy
16th Aug 2003, 03:16
Yeah, Moe's a shady one, alright...

Illuminati? The lighting fixtures had something to do with this? :confused: :D

Adrian Tepes
16th Aug 2003, 03:17
Moebius didn't do it, it was the Illuminati!:D

Adrian Tepes
16th Aug 2003, 03:18
I mustn't speak of the illuminati. They are already watching us all.:)

Umah Bloodomen
16th Aug 2003, 03:24
Okay Mr. Gribble. ;)

Adrian Tepes
16th Aug 2003, 03:32
Roxy, go here to learn of the Illuminati http://www.conspiracyarchive.com/

However, look at it from a friend's pc. If you don't, you may never be heard from again.

Apocrypha Roxy
16th Aug 2003, 04:04
Uh, Adrien, I don't exactly have any nearby friends... okay, make that friends at all... and I doubt that DEEK will usher me in so that they can take HIM instead...

Ish okay. I like the danger. Maybe they'll even give me candy. I make a good little hostage. Then I raise Hell. :D

Kain's Ancient Blade
16th Aug 2003, 14:27
Just glad everyone is OK.

Warp: The best there is. The best there was. The best there ever will be.

Apocrypha Roxy
17th Aug 2003, 02:30
Originally posted by Adrian Tepes
Roxy, go here to learn of the Illuminati http://www.conspiracyarchive.com/

However, look at it from a friend's pc. If you don't, you may never be heard from again.

Those are some freaky-ass people right there...

:eek: