PDA

View Full Version : New Challenge - (SPOILER)

Bio Denton
14th Aug 2003, 21:32
(IGNORE THE POLL)

RULES
--------
1: No Augs. (Light is ok)
2: No Skills.
3: Combat Knife & Multi-Tools ONLY.
4: No Medkits, MedBots ONLY.
5: No Turret, Camera or Bot activation/de-activation.
6: World objects may be used. (e.g. TNT Crates)

MISSIONS
------------
Every mission and side-mission.
All primary missions must be completed the "bad" way. (e.g. Paul Denton dies, Jock goes Boom, you get the idea.)
Final Mission - Dark Age.

KILLS
-------
NSF Terrorist Leader (Statue)
Juan Lebedev
Anna Navarre (Subway)
Joseph Manderley
Maggie Chow (VersaLife)
Gunther Hermann
Walton Simons
Bob Page

ALL Military Bots
ALL MIB/WIBs
ALL Mole People (What?)

[EDIT]
Ok, the prize and title thing was a bad idea. We can't prove if someone has completed the challenge without cheating. So, just play this challenge for yourself. I have started it, but have run into a few.. *minor*.. problems :P

I'd really like to hear back from everyone who has tried or even... completed it!

Catman
15th Aug 2003, 13:06
I'll check with GM, but I think a custom title could be arranged.

http://www.catmanofiowa.com/cps/ted/tedcool.gif

Bio Denton
16th Aug 2003, 16:39
No one interested in the challenge?

almightyjc
18th Aug 2003, 13:41
OK, I'll give it a whirl. I've beaten the game on realistic using only low-tech but... well this may just be too hard, I'll try.

almightyjc
18th Aug 2003, 13:43
Oh, hold on... how are you supposed to take out every bot with a knife? Isn't that just a trifle un-doable?

Bio Denton
18th Aug 2003, 13:55
Every military bot, not commerical or security bots, it's not too hard; you need to stay against their backs as they have a slow turn, then just back-pedal on the last hit to avoid being killed.. That or use an explosive object.

almightyjc
23rd Aug 2003, 07:27
OK, I've beaten the statue and I wanted to clear up a couple of things. First, can you use food (soda and soy) and second can you use flares. I figured no for the fist, yes for the second but I thought I'd ask! I havened used any of either yet.
(PS, millitary bots only I can do!)

I've never killed the NSF leader before, man was Paul peeved!

Bio Denton
24th Aug 2003, 14:39
lol, well he waffles on so much about politics, he deserved it. Damn do-gooder.

No no no! No healing other than medbots, I'll let ya off for the first mission :D

Flares? Well, you do have an Aug light, which incidentally must only be charged at Bots, not Cells.

Bio Denton
24th Aug 2003, 21:11
This challenge is about using virtually nothing, scraping an existance out. When you finally get to a MedBot, life is good! You made it. The story can continue!

Bio Denton
24th Aug 2003, 21:15
(PS, millitary bots only I can do!)

Hmm?

almightyjc
24th Aug 2003, 23:33
Originally posted by Bio Denton
No no no! No healing other than medbots, I'll let ya off for the first mission :D

Well, I've been carrying some food around, but I havn't used anyhitng but the knife (not even a multitool yet!). I didn't even bother picking up the bio-cells!
I'm currently about to raid the NSF generator (those evil terrorists?) and am SORELY missing my sniper rifle!!

Bio Denton
30th Aug 2003, 13:34
Update?

[IS]XXX
30th Aug 2003, 18:18
DTS? Yes or No?

Bio Denton
30th Aug 2003, 21:00
Are you reffering to intelligent sound systems?

[IS]XXX
31st Aug 2003, 00:17
Dragons Tooth Sword

Bio Denton
31st Aug 2003, 16:14
Err, no?

Combat Knife ONLY :)

[IS]XXX
1st Sep 2003, 02:43

Uh, no. That's suicide, even on easy.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
1st Sep 2003, 12:49
hmmm that could be interessant. I will try a challenge with my brother, see who goes first to the end.

a question though

How do you kill spider bots with a knife?

Bio Denton
1st Sep 2003, 19:22
run :)

Bio Denton
1st Sep 2003, 19:23
Originally posted by [IS]XXX

Uh, no. That's suicide, even on easy.

That's extreme stealth and cunning. This is supposed to be an ultimate challenge.

Bio Denton
1st Sep 2003, 19:25
UPDATE:

Bosses to kill, how did I forget. MAGGIE CHOW! (In the VersaLife basement).

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
2nd Sep 2003, 08:56
Bio, how did you manage to avoid the kark after escaping versalife, since he is in a tunnel?

Bio Denton
2nd Sep 2003, 23:06
I lured it into the large area, then swam past it and it got stuck..

Bio Denton
2nd Sep 2003, 23:07
Originally posted by Catman
I'll check with GM, but I think a custom title could be arranged.

http://www.catmanofiowa.com/cps/ted/tedcool.gif

Oops, never noticed your post, Cat. Thanks :)

Centauro
3rd Sep 2003, 00:10
That is not a real challenge if you end the game with a save count of 2769... :rolleyes:

Take it to the limit. Maximum savegames 10, no cheating.

And Dragon Sword allowed.

--Revel In Your Time--

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
3rd Sep 2003, 07:42
Originally posted by Centauro
That is not a real challenge if you end the game with a save count of 2769... :rolleyes:

--Revel In Your Time--

I agree with the first part. but I don't see why the DS should be allowed. I mean, why not a GEP-gun, in that case (At least the GEP gun can open doors)

[IS]XXX
3rd Sep 2003, 14:47
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
(At least the GEP gun can open doors)

Psst. The DTS could open doors too (at skill level 4 or so, and with combat aug. Of course, this is a moot point since you're not allowed to use skills or augs)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
3rd Sep 2003, 15:08
I didn't know that. never used combat aug, just augmented strength. and I never had to upgrade my sword skills, since I usually almost never fight.

Bio Denton
4th Sep 2003, 07:20
Originally posted by Centauro

--Revel In Your Time--

Can't really monitor how many saves a person makes and I don't think it will make that much of a difference, considering the fact that you can't heal yourself that often. A medbot is more of a save-point than actually saving.

It wouldn't be much of a challenge with the DTS.

[WZ]divine
4th Sep 2003, 09:01
But you cant tell if people cheat either - or modify stuff so they have loads more health etc.
Im not too sure how you would kill Simmons with just a knife though (or a sharp pointy lockpick:D )

Bio Denton
6th Sep 2003, 20:26
Simons can be pretty stupid.

Centauro
9th Sep 2003, 21:25
Yes, there's no way to control cheating. It should be a matter of personal proud. I can make fake screenshots of everything requested and fake a final save just before engagin the ion generators, but what honor do I win from that? I didn't vote in the poll for that "proclaim the DX god" because I think the challenge is not about making some people in the forums believe you did it, it's about YOU knowing you did it, and knowuing that you did it all along right, no cheats, and that makes you feel a true gamer.

And yes, Simons is not that scary after you fight him a couple of times. Which doesn't mean that is easy to do him with a knife.

Too bad I have no time these days to start this quest.

JC Rzem
31st Oct 2003, 21:50
Ok, I'll try Bio Denton's challenge. I just got one question. When I confron Gunther in Paris, can I use his Killphrase, or you want me to just run up to him dodging the flamethrower and splid his troat in half?

bigheader
1st Nov 2003, 02:38
you know what?..how about only allowing just one weapon of your choice but you can never change it or choose another..?

Bio Denton
7th Nov 2003, 22:22
Throat. Slit.

gareis
7th Nov 2003, 22:36
Just to clarify--lockpicks are allowed?

Bio Denton
8th Nov 2003, 01:25
No, lockpicks are not allowed. You don't need them anyway.

Bio Denton
8th Nov 2003, 01:27
I have finally had a bit of time to play the challenge. Here are a few screenies, which I will update when I play more of the challenge.

Bio Denton's Adventures (http://saslabs.com/zyme)

gareis
8th Nov 2003, 15:36
Is there a certain difficulty level you require?

Also, I forgot the bot/camera/turret rule for the first mission, but I didn't use the route that would benefit from that. Cheating? The most it could have done is drive enemies my way, but it didn't. If you wish, I can replay the mission.

SATCOM
8th Nov 2003, 16:17
I belive the diffuclty level has to be realistic

Its not fun with anything else :cool:

gareis
9th Nov 2003, 16:59
Y'know, I think I hate you now, BioDenton. I just let JoJo kill Sandra Renton, then I found her father (who had bravely run away) and stabbed him to death. I'm not sure if I can finish this (difficulty notwithstanding).

Bio Denton
9th Nov 2003, 19:36
Ah gareis, if you only KNEW the power of the DarkSide. Anyway, you aren't looking at the big picture, my freind.

1: Sandra Renton doesn't have any Zyme, so she is useless anyway.

2: She would have ended up at an abandoned gas station, standing around a barrel fire with more bums.

3: You were doing her father a favour by repeatedly stabbing (it had better have been repeatedly) him to death. Think of all the grief you saved him due to the loss of his only relative. Would you have wanted to stay in Hell's Kitchen on your own?

All in all, you did a good job, gareis. You put two people out of their misery. Keep up the good work, my freind!

Bio Denton
9th Nov 2003, 19:38
P.S. You should have saved Sandra, then when she was back in the 'ton reception, killed her father. That way, she starts crying something along the lines of "Oh my god, Daddy". Then kill her.

Much better.

gareis
9th Nov 2003, 19:43
Thanks, BioDenton. You've put my mind at ease. Unfortunately, her father took only one hit to kill.

I didn't realize that Sandra could die. Her father asked me for a weapon, and all I had was the knife--you think I was about to give it up? Then I stood back and watched as JoJo came up, started killing her.

Of course, I killed JoJo. He was a punk and a murderer. I waited until after he killed someone because, hey, he wasn't a murderer until he actually murdered Sandra.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
12th Nov 2003, 09:16
Originally posted by gareis
Of course, I killed JoJo. He was a punk and a murderer. I waited until after he killed someone because, hey, he wasn't a murderer until he actually murdered Sandra.

well, I'm sure we can assume he was

Catman
12th Nov 2003, 14:10
On the other hand, if you stand idly by while he kills the Rentons, he'll tell you afterwards that he'll protect Paul.

Bio Denton
12th Nov 2003, 14:42
You are not helping here, Cat! :p

[EDIT] That was a joke, sounded a bit harsh :)

Bio Denton
13th Nov 2003, 03:28
I've nearly finished the challenge now.. It was a *****, but I am nearly there..

Bio Denton's Challenge Progress (http://saselite.com/challenge)

After careful consideration I have made a few changes to the rules, they are as follows:

1: If you have had both of your legs blown off, you may use Medpacks until you have atleast one leg functional. This rule only starts after you have reached Vandenburg, and you may only do it once per mission.

I have run into situations where there were slight raises in the ground, such as a concreted area, where I could not pass because I had no legs. I had to backtrack for miles to find one of those little packages, which I used as a step ladder. I then carried one around at all times.

2: You may use throwing knives. There are only about 25 - 30 in the game, if I recall correctly. They are useful for getting people's attention and for short-range sniping. Without the low-tech skill however, they are very difficult to use. If you miss with them, you can pick them back up.

3: There are perhaps 2 or 3 situations in the game where you really need a high-explosive. You may carry three LAMs for the duration of the challenge. Three LAMs for the entire game, not three LAMs at any one time.

Please note, I am now inside Area 51 and have not used these rules, but that is because I am a tad over-zealous and it sometimes took me 30 minutes to move ahead 10ft. If you choose to use these additional rules or not, you should not feel any differently about it; they are minor and are only to help you out in dire situations where it is virtually impossible to continue.

gareis
13th Nov 2003, 04:24
I can recall one instance in which it is necessary to carry LAMs: the superfreighter. (It would also be very helpful to have one at a certain point in Area51, but not necessary; I can run past the spider bots :cool: )

Is there any other point where it is necessary? I'd like to plan ahead.

Bio Denton
13th Nov 2003, 16:58
You don't need LAMs in the ship, there are a ton of TNT crates lying around.

I'm not telling you the areas where you really need them, you need to work that out for yourself.

Example: I once pushed an explosive barrel across an entire level, and that wasn't fun, just to blow open a door. So, I didn't need a LAM.

C-Tzar
13th Nov 2003, 17:31
You, sir, have just made my list of heroes with this one!

http://saselite.com/challenge/challenge13.html

Bio Denton
13th Nov 2003, 19:31
Finished! (http://saslabs.com/zyme)

Bio Denton
13th Nov 2003, 20:50
Originally posted by C-Tzar
You, sir, have just made my list of heroes with this one!

http://saselite.com/challenge/challenge13.html

Heh, thanks!

Pdizzle
14th Nov 2003, 02:55
I bow to the deus ex god.

P.S. Very funny site... must have zyme...

Big Ragu
14th Nov 2003, 03:12
HA! but can you do it blindfolded?

Bio Denton
15th Nov 2003, 16:52
:P

Think I'll play again, killing absolutely everyone.

ZeaLitY
18th Nov 2003, 03:07
BioDenton, you may have something here. How's aboutz we become silent mass murderers, knifing everyone we encounter and tossing them into the nearest canal/incinerator/cliff?

Bio Denton
18th Nov 2003, 18:02
Well, that was going to be my next announcement. The challenge was merely a training exercise to get the DX community prepared.

PointlesS
19th Nov 2003, 04:18
Originally posted by ZeaLitY
BioDenton, you may have something here. How's aboutz we become silent mass murderers, knifing everyone we encounter and tossing them into the nearest canal/incinerator/cliff?
lmao...I think I'll go make a mod where it counts every npc in the level...and modify every level so it has a firepit and you throw dead bodies and it gives you points...the faster you throw people in it...the more points you get...now...if only I knew programming...

Cadillacs57
25th Nov 2003, 22:29
another reason to play dx1 again, plus to the fact that mx cards are not supported by dx2

Breadman
2nd Dec 2003, 03:49
my god bio... lol, you're insane. i can't believe you did it. was that walton simons at area 51? i thought he was in the ocean lab... also lots of the text i saw in that i'd never seen before. maybe i should become the more violent type.

i'll try this once i've beaten the sequal a few times and am bored with life:D

Zhanate
2nd Dec 2003, 04:57
Originally posted by Breadman
my god bio... lol, you're insane. i can't believe you did it. was that walton simons at area 51? i thought he was in the ocean lab... also lots of the text i saw in that i'd never seen before. maybe i should become the more violent type.

i'll try this once i've beaten the sequal a few times and am bored with life:D

Yes, about that text: Is it for real -- that is, really in-game text? Or did you edit it somehow?

Bio Denton
2nd Dec 2003, 16:51
Yeah, all the text is real. The only editted text was the second conversation with Manderley; I took the 3 lines from each shot of the conversation, as I didn't want 3 screenshots for one conversation :)

If you want the encounter with Simons at Area 51, just run (Or hide, then drag yourself across the floor by your hands) past him in the Ocean Lab when you run into him.

Also, an amusing thing: Knock Simons out in the Ocean Lab, then bring him to Area 51, where he will be waiting for you.

RichDoggP
2nd Dec 2003, 19:05
Hey Bio Denton, since you seem to know everything about Deus Ex, I have a few questions...

First, on page 27 of your challenge, you have Jaime in France telling you about the killphrase. Weren't you not supposed to use the killphrase in your challenge?

Second, who can't you kill throughout the whole game. Like, Tong and Alex and Carter I wouldn't think you can ever kill. What about Filben or Quick or Max Chen? And does Dowd ever die if you don't get him the ambrosia?

Third, whats the deal with that overhead passageway in the Versalife Building the first time. It's kind of suspended above the area where the crazy guy and the greys are. It has a door with a 5 diget password at the end. I've never found out what that was.

Bio Denton
2nd Dec 2003, 21:36
Weeell, here goes..

1: You can get the kill-phrase as when you confront Gunther, you are given a choice to fight or use it.

2: Nope, you can't kill any of those people, more's the pity. Dowd apparently does not die; I guess he got some ambrosia.

3: The "Level 2" door in the VersaLife labs, takes you to... Level 2. You know, the second VersaLife mission?

It is more challenging going back in the front door; the guards have been replaced with MJ12 Commandoes (If you didn't kill the guards before, they will also still be there), and in the "Illuminatus Hand" hallway, there is a super spider-bot on patrol. Oh, and you don't have a pass this time, so they will all be hostile from the start.

Sr60308
3rd Dec 2003, 02:10
I dont rember when paul calls you a jack ass. when was that?

Bio Denton
3rd Dec 2003, 03:24
After you go on a killing spree in the statue and kill the NSF leader :)

Zhanate
3rd Dec 2003, 05:35
Originally posted by Sr60308
I dont rember when paul calls you a jack ass. when was that?

After you go on a killing spree in the statue and kill the NSF leader :)

Is there some specific trigger? I did that, just shot everybody. And Paul was still pretty nice to me.

What could I have done wrong, I wonder?

RichDoggP
3rd Dec 2003, 16:40
I just started replaying it today, and I got him to call me a jackass. I think you have to get the commander to surrender first and let him have his say, and then kill him. Then Manderley gets all pissed that you killed a prisoner and Paul calls you a Jackass.

I don't know how to get the UNATCO troops to not get annoyed with me that I didn't help in the fight in front of the Ton Hotel. I mean, every time I go over there and blast all the NSF they still say the same things. What's the deal with that?

And another thing... I'm trying to truly save Lebedev this time. I killed Anna, and Lebedev was talking about Tong so I decided to prod him and bring him to Tongs Lab. But everyone says I killed him even through I'm talking to them with unconscious Lebedev in my arms. I guess this is just a bug.

Also, the private at the entrance to UNATCO didn't seem to care when I was bringing the NSF commander to Manderly as a corpse, but the guy at Level 2 kept attacking me when he saw the body. Any way around that?

Bio Denton
3rd Dec 2003, 17:01
Don't bring him down there? :p

ZeaLitY
4th Dec 2003, 00:13
If you shoot Paul a few times, one of his reactions will be "Jackass." Be sure to have godmode on, as Paul isn't nice when he's angry :\

LiQUiD
6th Dec 2003, 12:31
lol omg you guys are HARDCORE in the true sense of the word.
I bow down.:cool: :cool: :cool:

RichDoggP
8th Dec 2003, 03:20
I got one more question that you probably have the answer to. How much Zyme is there in the game? I'm at the Ocean Lab now and I have 19 vials, and I've been pretty watchful. Someone probably has the complete count somewhere.

Bio Denton
9th Dec 2003, 00:17
32 vials, as far as I can tell.

Niku'a
14th Dec 2003, 04:48
:P

Think I'll play again, killing absolutely everyone.

I don't know about you guys, but I think someone has beaten you with this already. I have to browse the TTLG boards to find that thread, but I am sure it has been done already.

SDX
24th Dec 2003, 10:12
D A A A A M N !!! I mean :eek:

I read through it all, and for Gods sake I was convinced that noone will ever make it till the end!

I just don't get it - how to kill boss with some powerfull weaponry with a KnIfE ?!!!

I never used knife in DX at all, does it knocs out unconscious? if not I must say one thing - YOU R 100% DEAD MEAT

Bio, could you record & post some crazyest knife fights as DX demos (I personaly wish to see Herrmans death from a knife moast)??? Now that would be proof!;)

PS I couldn't open http://saselite.com/challenge ! Is there realy a network problem ?

Bio Denton
30th Dec 2003, 17:22
Sorry about that. My retarded hosting company has vanished and my 2 dedicated servers are offline, so that link doesn't work. I'll upload somewhere new soon.

You want a demo knife fight with Gunther? lol ok, I'll see what I can do.

Bio Denton
30th Dec 2003, 17:47
http://saslabs.com/challenge

This server may be a tad slow.

Renegade450
31st Dec 2003, 13:01
Beat it. how do u want me to prove it?

Renegade450
31st Dec 2003, 13:14
http://saslabs.com/challenge

This server may be a tad slow. umm dude your a liar theres not even pictures of france or mj-12 or the unatco take over.

Bio Denton
1st Jan 2004, 02:54
What are you talking about?

No need to prove it, just show some amusing screenshots or tell of some interesting situations that came up.

Renegade450
1st Jan 2004, 10:11
well it was quite easy all you needed to do is use stealth

Bio Denton
1st Jan 2004, 15:01
I was reffering to you calling me a liar.

SputnikX
1st Jan 2004, 15:47
!?there actuly exist some ambrosia on that ship!?
hmmm no matter, Dowd dossent desirve it anyway :D :p

Renegade450
2nd Jan 2004, 10:24
well if u think this channge is hard then u guys should do it on dx2.

Bio Denton
2nd Jan 2004, 16:50
1: Anyone could complete DX:IW with their eyes closed.

2: This is a hard challenge, for the fun of members of the forum. Not for someone who logs on, posts that he has completed it and that it was easy, then calls another member a liar about completing it.

On one hand, it's so easy because you completed it, but on the other I must be lying, by saying that I completed it. I don't think you even played the challenge.

If you don't have anything other than insults or annoying statements to post on this thread, then don't post please.

gareis
5th Jan 2004, 23:23
You said you didn't use any grenades. How did you get past the warehouse mission? I take it you found a login for the computer and deactivated the coolant system. And what about the code for the women's restroom to the mole people?

Bio Denton
6th Jan 2004, 11:33
Either throw a TNT crate off of one of the balconies in the warehouse, or carefully stand behind one of the pillars and hit an explosve barrel.

The collapsed room in the subway station, take one knife and a very long time. (See rule amendments.)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
6th Jan 2004, 12:43
for the warehouse, you can go to the roof of the warehouse, take the stairs to the other roof on the right, jump down using the light so you don't hurt yourself (and more important, you don't scream), and enter using your knife and/or some lockpick (I think I remember the knife is enough, but I might be wrong)

the room you enter is the one with the computer to shut down the cooler

artimus_king
6th Feb 2004, 05:31
LMAO!!! I would pay alot of money to see this be done.... maybe i'll give it a try.

TheGrayfox
6th Feb 2004, 07:22
KILLS
-------
NSF Terrorist Leader (Statue)
Juan Lebedev
Anna Navarre (Subway)
Joseph Manderley
Maggie Chow (VersaLife)
Gunther Hermann
Walton Simons
Bob Page

ALL Military Bots
ALL MIB/WIBs
ALL Mole People (What?)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT the hell??? Does that mean you're supposed to kill every Military Bot and MIB and WIB??? Meaning no one of those left alive? With a KNIFE?!

HOW???!!! The MIB's and WIB's blow up in your face if you kill them with the knife and bots just pump you full of lead. Even if you use stealth while killing them. It will still take a couple of hits and even then they'd get to shoot you.

I think this one is personally impossible I'd really like to see proof of that.

I can probably do it given that I DON'T have to kill every MIB/WIB/BOT. If I'm allowed to just sneak past them, then yes if I actually have to kill every single one of those than I don't see how it can be done...with a knife?!

Bio Denton
6th Feb 2004, 15:55
Killing a MiB doesn't mean you have to stand next to them and repeatedly stab them while they are unloading a plasma rifle into you.

Military bots have a VERY slow turn, you can kill them without them getting off a shot.

TheGrayfox
6th Feb 2004, 18:29
Well the military bots do have a slow turn rate...but the less heavier bots turn pretty quickly, even going in circles with a knife it would be iffy...

As for the MIB/WIB's how else are you supposed to kill them if you're only allowed a knife? It isn't in every scenerio where you have a TNT crate to throw at them or something. There is bound to be some point in the game where you will have to take an MIB/WIB hand to hand in your scenerio (given that you can't leave one alive).

If this is the case when they fall even if you start running their blast isbound to get you somewhat. Probably blowing your legs up like I've seen in your shots...after that if you have no med bot around and there happens to be another MIB around what do you do then with no legs and a knife?

I hate to call anyone a liar but I've played this game 4 times now and know where every enemy and everything is. YES it is possible to beat the game with a knife...IF you don't have to kill all those people. The game gives you enough ways to sneak by enemies.

But what you propose I find well...impossible...and the only way I would honestly believe anyone completing this is by seeing a video of it or watching it live...hax can be toggled on and off so pics just don't cut it.

I'm not saying you can't kill a bot or MIB with a knife, but I know there are certain points in the game where you have to fight at least two MIB's...and with a knife only you are bound to take damage...a lot of it, so much that you probably won't get past the next point.

Sorry...just my two cents

Scalar
7th Feb 2004, 04:46
I've been taking out WIBs/MIBs in the first trip to VersaLife with the knife.

You follow close behind them and make sure you are targeting their HEAD. One stab, and they die. Back off immediately as they die and the blast will miss you almost completely.

For the ones with their back to the wall, I killed off all other soldiers/WIBs/etc, then released the Grey and the greasels who then took out those remaining MIBs for me.

(The challenge says you can use the environment for kills, and I see no issue using a greasel as a weapon.)

I did this by making sure the greasels were on my ass chasing me around, and then I'd go run past an MIB or soldier. A greasel usually breaks off and pegs the MIB, which distracts the MIB and you can knife him, then you can lead the greasel onward to your next targets. :)

It's my opinion that if there is a medbot anywhere in a map, you are automatically required to kill absolutely everything you possibly can. (I hit the medbots up in the free clinic in the second and third missions for some 2000-3000 pts of health, destroying everything in sight.) ;)

However, I draw the line at offing bots. After trying to knife a few military bots, it gets to the point of boredom. Who the hell cares, once I've exceeeded 200 hits and it still ain't destroyed yet? :rolleyes:

-Scalar

Scalar
7th Feb 2004, 05:13
Odd, I thought I posted this here. Must've got lost or something.

Using the stated rules of knife and multitools only, it is not possible to get past the Hong Kong Secret MJ12 Base.

You need to find a way into the control room to release the weapons lock. The only location of the key is in the 3rd locker up by the beds in the officer's quarters.

The locker is itself locked, and there are no TNT crates anywhere in the game to drop and blow open the locker. I believe there are explosive barrels down in the poison gas area, but you cannot move them because the strength aug is not allowed.

There is an apparant alternate path into the locked control room, via the vent until the control panel. However, it cannot be reached since the jump aug/upgrades aren't allowed.

I was able to stack up multiple office chairs and the two small boxes in the map to be able to see into the vent, but the vertical vent is so narrow that there is no room to drop any additional boxes, pick up more chairs, or really do anything at all. So here I am, only about 6" away from jumping up high enough, and I cannot do it.

Basically you NEED a lam or a lockpick to pass this map. There apparantly is no other option, AFAIK.

-Scalar

TheGrayfox
7th Feb 2004, 06:04
Very good point. I know the place you are talking about exactly and you are right I believe you can not jump up that ladder by the beds. You can only go down it once you have the key to that room. I myself tried stacking chairs and the small crates and still can't reach it. For some reason it won't grab hold of the ladder there.

Bio Denton
8th Feb 2004, 01:15
Well the military bots do have a slow turn rate...but the less heavier bots turn pretty quickly, even going in circles with a knife it would be iffy...

Never said you had to kill commercial or security bots.

You CAN stack the small metal crates in the vents to get into the control room. You need to stack them very carefully.

JC Rzem
22nd Apr 2004, 02:09
Originally posted by RichDoggP
Hey Bio Denton, since you seem to know everything about Deus Ex, I have a few questions...

First, on page 27 of your challenge, you have Jaime in France telling you about the killphrase. Weren't you not supposed to use the killphrase in your challenge?

Second, who can't you kill throughout the whole game. Like, Tong and Alex and Carter I wouldn't think you can ever kill. What about Filben or Quick or Max Chen? And does Dowd ever die if you don't get him the ambrosia?

Third, whats the deal with that overhead passageway in the Versalife Building the first time. It's kind of suspended above the area where the crazy guy and the greys are. It has a door with a 5 diget password at the end. I've never found out what that was.

Well actually there is a moment when you CAN kill gordon quick, this is when he is at the lucky money having drinks with max chen after after they declared the truce. At that moment Gordon is no longer immortal and you can kill him with any weapon, so go ahead and get him!:cool: