PDA

View Full Version : For the first time......

Michaeljcox24
11th Aug 2003, 19:31
Well....for the first time in all the TR games I have played, I have actually uninstalled AOD before completing it. I got to Boaz, and pretty much decided it was impossible to defeat. No health pack were given to me, and I might has well have been trying to kill it with a pea shooter and only one pea. Kurtis's slow, sluggish, boring, and crappy targeting system only compounded my frustration with this abomination of a game.

AOD is to Tomb Raider, as Phantom Menace was to the Star Wars Triliogy, lets only hope they learn the way Lucas did for the next one.

Bazzabazz
11th Aug 2003, 21:51
Originally posted by Michaeljcox24
AOD is to Tomb Raider, as Phantom Menace was to the Star Wars Triliogy, lets only hope they learn the way Lucas did for the next one.

Well Michaeljcox24.... (or can I call you Mick?;) ), I will agree with you...

....but, I have to say that having watched Phantom menace at the cinema I was totally zzzzzzzzzz, but now I've watched the DVD (twice) there are some really neat moments that get you right back into the whole Star Wars thing. I know it's not the Death Star Canyon, or the "I love you...I know" exchange in the Carbonite chamber, or the Darth Vader/Luke duel in Return of the Jedi, but there's something about that duel with Darth Maul, and the podrace sequence....

Anyway, I had exactly the same reaction as you, and I was about to chuck the CD in the bin, but I remembered that I felt pretty much the same before I realised I could dig under the sphinx in TR4 (and all those similar moments in TR3, 2, 1) and I stuck with it. I even had to go back to a savegame at the beginning of the Boaz level to get through it, with some heavy help from the forum!

Stick with it bro'. It's not TR1, 2, 3, 4 (or even 5??), but it's still Lara and there's some peachy moments before the end, even if Kurtis does move like he's kakked his pants

:D

Michaeljcox24
11th Aug 2003, 22:52
Mate - I have never ever thought a TR game was like this - all the others had the same feel, this one just didn't feel the same at all. They knew it wasn't ready, god only knows why, they had 2 years. What the hell were they doing for so long?

I have un-installed it now anyway, I have just had enough with the crappy controls, the graphical bugs, and the friggin impossible bosses. They know they f***ed up, why do you think there has been absolutely no official response on the matter from Core /Eidos?

All they needed to do, was put a better graphics engine with the same gameplay elements of the others, instead they decided to change the whole lot. I hope the fans stay loyal, or realistically, there will be a hell of a lot of people out of jobs soon.

nowalruses
13th Aug 2003, 04:25
I think Bazz (may I call you Bazz?) is right. I almost gave up with Boaz and the whole auto-targeting thing too, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. It's one more TR game I can say I finished. I think the whole point behind this game was that Core was deliberately trying not to give us the same game we've always gotten from them. I salute them for their effort and I appreciate the work they put into it, but yes, this one obviously had some serious flaws. Whether you decide to give it another go is up to you, but let's just hope that Crystal learns from mistakes already made and gives us another great game.

Veronica Ma
13th Aug 2003, 05:20
Hi guys...
Bazz and Nowalruses-when you say to just stick with the auto-targeting... when you finally got the last pod, was it just a chance thing, like you just shot everywhere and luckily hit it? Or was there some method to the madness?
thanks.
veronica.

Bazzabazz
13th Aug 2003, 09:42
No, it wasn't completely random. I did have to have several attempts, at finally I emptied my gun at the wall, picked up a new clip, and went for the last pod that way.

It's all about shooting the head, put gun away, hop sideways, draw, retarget, shoot. Phew!!!

Good luck

Bazz

PS nowalruses, you can call me Bazz.

Stick with it guys!! It's better than Chronicles!:)

Veronica Ma
13th Aug 2003, 13:29
Thanks for the help, Bazz. and have a good one.
take care and kindest regards,
veronica.

nowalruses
13th Aug 2003, 23:41
It wasn't random for me either. I don't think there's any way I could have gotten lucky enough to just hit them. It was quite a long process to find the correct combination of buttons to switch targets though. I played her again the other night and she just took a couple of minutes this time. Oh, and by the way, I'm playing PS2 version, and the 2 rear pods don't go dark like the others when you shoot them. Makes it a little trickier to tell when you've hit them. Anyway, good luck, you'll get it.

P.S. Thanks Bazz...That just sounds so cool. :D

Veronica Ma
14th Aug 2003, 00:02
Hi Nowalruses,
i'm glad to hear you're using the PS2 version, too and thanks for mentioning that the rear two pods don't go dark. That's been stumping me for some time now.

btw. i think Bazz sounds cool too. it's like bass and jazz together

Ringwraith6
14th Aug 2003, 11:00
Come on people... You are all kidding right? Boaz was RIDICULOUSLY EASY!! After seeing all these posts here (i didn't read any of the posts that said how to beat her but it doesn't take a mensa member to figure out where you have to shoot and how to make these shots) I was expecting the mosts difficult boss fight ever... Well i died the first time i played the level but in my second attempt, i killed both of her forms (the spider and the demon like form that is) I mean come on, each of her acid sacks takes two or three shots to burst, and for the second round (demon-like form) all you have to do is lock on her and then fire away while constatly making small sidesteps left and right, she didn't even touch me on round two!! Brother Obsura was a lot harder to defeat, and i find it totaly ridiculous that someone who got past Brother Obscura is not able to get by this easiest of bosses!

Panoulis
14th Aug 2003, 11:03
Say one more thing like that and I am gonna send you a virus...lol:D :mad: :D

Veronica Ma
14th Aug 2003, 12:53
LOL!
Brother Obscura was easy! (just kidding)

lara croft fan
14th Aug 2003, 13:16
Originally posted by Panoulis
Say one more thing like that and I am gonna send you a virus...lol:D :mad: :D
same here get over it ringwraith there's nothing wrong with being bad at beating a boss
and mike it's not that bad a game I mean the final battle aint the best but just give the game one last chance it's sad to here someone hating tomb raider*cries*:(

Bazzabazz
1st Sep 2003, 23:26
Originally posted by Ringwraith6
Come on people... You are all kidding right? Boaz was RIDICULOUSLY EASY!! ... ... Brother Obsura was a lot harder to defeat, and i find it totaly ridiculous that someone who got past Brother Obscura is not able to get by this easiest of bosses!

Oh great and bold Ringwraith6 (like you scare me with that spooky name...not), we are humbled before your might. However, for us mere mortals, I think a bit of helpful advice about the "RIDICULOUSLY EASY" Boaz was actually really well appreciated, despite you being one of the few supergods who could do it.

I actually found this the toughest part of the game, and judging by the number of posts on the subject, tons of other people did too.

Take it easy on us plebs. We may just be able to help you out one day.

Bazzabazz
1st Sep 2003, 23:30
Oh yeah, I forgot to add.... I'm back from vacation so back in the frame for helping out you guys with tricky situations.

Remember,

TombRaider7913
1st Sep 2003, 23:56
I have to agree with RingWraith6. Both Brother Obscura AND Boaz were easy, for me at least. I'm not saying that it's bad it takes others so long to beat them, not at all. Just adding in my two cents. It's good to get stuck on bosses and stuff cos it makes the game more challenging, but being stuck for days and weeks is boring and repetitive, so I can understand where the people who can't defeat these two bosses as easily as me and ringwraith6 did are coming from. Just hang in there, it really is a great game, gets beter everytime you replay it! :D lol

Megan

BkBaby999
3rd Sep 2003, 01:59
Boaz was wicked easy......once I found out how to switch targets-let's see, the manual was no help, the prima guide was no help, pressing random buttons didn't help. I had tons of ammo and had shot the thing about 100 times.....so I don't think that it was necessarily the PLAYER's fault if defeating Boaz was difficult! I also enjoyed Kurtis' slow movements and the way he would flip over and his legs would crumple backwards at a 90 degree angle at his stomach and then he'd kinda lazily get up, combined with a random assignation as to when he would lose health and how much....

I swear they put the bugs in to make the game seem difficult :p