PDA

View Full Version : Dialogue in IW

Florelle
11th Aug 2003, 15:34
Will there be more dialogue options in IW (similar to the Baldur's Gate system)? I'm just asking because in the original it wasn't possible to stop J.C. coming out with some of those really dumb comments of his, for example if you killed the terrorists in Castle Clinton:

JC: "Hey you should've seen the castle courtyard. It was like a graveyard!"
Sam: "Well then you can't have this clip"

D'oh.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
11th Aug 2003, 15:37
I have read on this forum that there will be 3 times more dialogs in DX:IW than in DX1.

but I don't know if that means more choice in your answers, or just more casual discussions with NPC

and curiously, I never had this discussion with Carter. Must be because I don't kill anyone until Lebedev's Jet (Anna)

Florelle
11th Aug 2003, 15:42
Well the first time I played it through, if you follow Anna to the front entrance of Castle Clinton she tells you to kill the terrorists guarding it. Then when you get back to UNATCO after the mission Carter refuses to give you the 7.62 clip.

Trollslayer
11th Aug 2003, 15:46
Originally posted by Florelle
Well the first time I played it through, if you follow Anna to the front entrance of Castle Clinton she tells you to kill the terrorists guarding it. Then when you get back to UNATCO after the mission Carter refuses to give you the 7.62 clip.

Eventually one can decide not to kill them (and actually make it so Anna and the 2 UNATCO agents don't kill NSFers). The dialogue with Carter, if you don't kill anyone at Castle Clinton, will be different.

And i think there will probably more dialogue. If there will be more side ventures one can pursuse, i suppose there will be more communication in them. Not necessarily on all of them, but more than likely on the majority.

Lawnboy360
11th Aug 2003, 15:52
Yeah, that's a little disappointing and it was the same in the DX:IW videos

Young boy : Do you work at the underground secret base?
Alex : No, ...
========
Illuminati guy in cell : Oh great someone came to free me... wait, are you of the Illuminati?
Alex : No I'm not, ...

Why can't you lie :(

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
11th Aug 2003, 15:54
maybe you will be able to lie. it was just a video. and it might have changed since it was released.

Lawnboy360
11th Aug 2003, 16:30
Yeah, that's totally possible. Maybe it was that way to show people that it was a simple game, nothing to deep, because depth is bad bad bad. ;)

Trollslayer
11th Aug 2003, 16:48
I believe it was to show dialogue routines and how the lighting affected stationary characters. Or it could just be those times when interaction is only there to further the story (like some dialogues in DX1, also).

sajcd
12th Aug 2003, 13:17
What video are you talking about?:eek:

Lawnboy360
12th Aug 2003, 17:15
What video are you talking about?

There are two DX2 videos available from E3 2003, with german commentaries("Gamezone" and "PCGames"). Get them here : http://www.gamershell.com/download_movie.shtml

sajcd
13th Aug 2003, 02:28
Thanks Lawnboy360.

I downloaded the Gamezone video. Is the PCgames video the same?

I thought the video looked pretty cool and it sounded like maybe the voice acting could be better than DX1.

Looks like the lighting could be better than Splinter Cell.

Sure would be nice to see a trailer for this on the official site....

ginger_grunger
13th Aug 2003, 11:59
takin the thread back to the topic :p lol, i think a system like Baldurs Gate or any LucasArts quality game(monkey island, grim fandango etc). It wuld add another layer of replayability, and its just plain fun to choose the stupidest ones..;)

PDenton
13th Aug 2003, 12:43
Sometimes the NPCs come back with really stupid comments. Some of them like 'probably just a homeless guy'. I mean how many homeless guys do you know that carry assault rifles. They need to make different responses if they just see you and if you actually shoot them.:D

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
13th Aug 2003, 13:25
oh, they do they say "I swear I heard something" or "who was that, I didn't see a uniform"

but the worse thing with your example is when you runin front of a guy, he runs after you, then you find a ventilation pipe, run in it, the guard can't follow you, then you wait 30 seconds and hear "I guess it was nothing". I mean this guy chased you, shot at you, and then he decides it was just a bad dream?

Trollslayer
13th Aug 2003, 14:18
Originally posted by ginger_grunger
takin the thread back to the topic :p lol, i think a system like Baldurs Gate or any LucasArts quality game(monkey island, grim fandango etc). It wuld add another layer of replayability, and its just plain fun to choose the stupidest ones..;)

I don't know what you call a "Baldurs Gate system" or "Lucas Arts system", but game dialogue, with various outcomes, and other answers that can be given when you replay, exists in DX1. In a small amount, but it's there.

Lawnboy360
13th Aug 2003, 15:09
I downloaded the Gamezone video. Is the PCgames video the same?

They're pretty similar, one is around 1:30 and the other 3:00 I think.

Machinax
22nd Aug 2003, 04:47
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
Yeah, that's a little disappointing and it was the same in the DX:IW videos

Young boy : Do you work at the underground secret base?
Alex : No, ...
========
Illuminati guy in cell : Oh great someone came to free me... wait, are you of the Illuminati?
Alex : No I'm not, ...

Why can't you lie :(

Uhhh...where'd you get this video from? I haven't seen any conversations from DX:IW.

Machinax
22nd Aug 2003, 04:49
Sorry, I found it. Thanks.