PDA

View Full Version : [ AGGREGATE ] Common technical issues for the LoK games

blincoln
28th Jun 2002, 20:49
---------
Having trouble with "torn"-look graphics in SR2?

Originally posted by Jurjen:

This is because of the strange (and slightly buggy) way the Geforce4MX supports/emulates vertex shaders.
If you have a Geforce4MX (as you do) you'll have to go into the game registry entry (using regedit) at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Soul Reaver 2\1.00.000 and set DisableVShader to 1.

In addition you can try enabling fullscreen FX in the Setup. (Patched game required).

[ Note: enabling full-screen effects is a good idea in general if you have a GeForce 3 or higher. To get to Setup, go to your Start menu, then Programs, then Eidos Interactive, then Soul Reaver 2, and then Setup - blinc ]

---------

You have an ATI Radeon 8500 and Soul Reaver 2 is all blue?
This was an issue with the original release of the game, patching it to 1.01 or 1.02 should get you fixed up.

---------

SR2 and/or BO2 crash frequently or sound is hashed up, and your graphis card uses an nVidia chip? Download the latest Detonator drivers (40.72 as of this writing) from http://www.nvidia.com/ - the 28.32 series caused these problems for most users.

---------

You deleted the Soul Reaver 2 folder on your PC instead of uninstalling the game, and now you can't reinstall it because it thinks it is already there? You'll need to do some registry editing. Be VERY careful, because you can make your PC unuseable if you screw up. If you've never edited the registry before, you should probably ask a friend for help. Go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then Software, then Eidos Interactive, and delete the entire Soul Reaver 2 tree. Now you'll be able to install the game again. Use the proper uninstall next time =).

---------

SR2 locks up while playing the music at the main menu? Make sure you have DirectX 8.1 installed (8.0 is not enough) and the game is patched.

---------

SR2 hard locks your system after the CrystalD logo, and you have a motherboard with a VIA chipset and Windows XP/2000? Download and install the 4-in-1 and IDE bus miniport drivers (they are seperate downloads) from http://www.viaarena.com/. Important: you MUST install the IDE bus miniport driver seperately. It is different from the IDE filter driver included with the 4-in-1s, and your problem will NOT be solved if you don't install it.

---------

SR1 doesn't run properly under Windows XP/2000? Have a look here:

http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1-XP.HTML

---------

The original Blood Omen doesn't run properly under Windows 2000 or XP? Look here for instructions:

http://www.thelostworlds.net/BO1-XP.HTML

Anything I missed?

Grey Mouser
3rd Jul 2002, 00:35
With your permission I am making this a Sticky topic (meaning it will stay at the top of the forum) and leaving it open for editing. Other issues can then be added to it as the Community sees fit.

Jeffers
3rd Jul 2002, 16:06
A STICKY Topic, You must be so proud Blinc, It will stop it having to be bumped at least!

Jeffers.

Edit: I just thought I would maybe add the Old Dark Forge bug, for people who have an older PS2 version of SR2.

If you try to exit the dark forge and can't and thw hole where you insert the Reaver Vanishes, the simple answer is that you have scared the Birds outside the Dark Forge on your way in. To fix it, you need to load up your last save and go back there, and make sure that you DON'T scare the birds on your way in!

Frankmaster
8th Jul 2002, 18:20
The original Blood Omen doesn't run properly under Windows 2000 or XP? For many people it doesn't, because the game tries to access the hardware directly, which newer Microsoft OSes don't allow. Your best bet it to install it on a Windows 98 machine or buy the Playstation version and run it on an emulator.

There is a patch to get Blood Omen to run under Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

The Patch is Here: http://pub6.ezboard.com/fnosgothfrm9.showMessage?topicID=86.topic

blincoln
8th Jul 2002, 21:14
Yeah, but that's a hacked, unsupported patch, made by someone anonymous. It could do all kinds of bad stuff, which is why I didn't mention it. Also, it didn't work when I tried using it on my PC.

Iron Head
9th Jul 2002, 21:16
Additionally... Blood Omen is not compatible with DirectX 8.1

L_Master562
10th Jul 2002, 08:33
that has windows 98 that is updated and upgraded often to keep up with the times and my computer runs the games fast and I have yet to run into any glitches besides slow down sometimes that is expectable with all the programs I run at once. My only exception to this was a problem that Bo1 at times was skipping movies from playing though worked completely when viewed later in the DD. I've seen it like this on other computers. If there is a solution to that, which I've seen on other boards then this one as well though I can't remember the solution, it could be added. Sometimes people mention slowdown to movies starting as well. I have yet to ever patch a game. They run fine though. I also have a Microsoft Pc controler that solves much of the keyboard control problems. Sometimes it gets laggy with a keyboard. The controler solves things. It gives the awkword control of a keyboard a better feel and improves the capabilies of the controler to do just that.

Azuriel
10th Jul 2002, 21:09
Originally posted by blincoln
Yeah, but that's a hacked, unsupported patch, made by someone anonymous. It could do all kinds of bad stuff, which is why I didn't mention it. Also, it didn't work when I tried using it on my PC.

i`ve used that patch, and i have a flawless experience in Win XP Pro. i`ve not seen any bad stuff yet. ...yet...

blincoln
12th Jul 2002, 17:07
Az, out of curiousity do you have your XP partition formatted as FAT or NTFS? I was wondering if that might make a difference.

Azuriel
12th Jul 2002, 17:44
mine is formatted as FAT32

blincoln
14th Jul 2002, 02:06
I thought so. I should try installing it on my FAT partition and see if it works.

cwalker
10th Aug 2002, 06:26
During Cutscenes and music, I am hearing a "pop, crackle" over and over. It is not super loud, kinda low to medium. If I turn off Music in game options, it goes away EXCEPT for the cutscenes. Very annoying.

P4 1.8
ASUS P4S533
PNY GEforce4 Ti4400 (29.42 drivers)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (4161 drivers)
WinXP Pro (all updates)

Soul Reaver 2 (1.20 patch)

Any ideas or thoughts???

Thanks,

CCW

N0V4
7th Sep 2002, 11:18
uhu.......
and about that dark forge bug.....its only on PS2 version right?
Or did I miss something?
Oh well,I finished it 30 times,I can do it again.

blincoln
8th Sep 2002, 07:47
Yes, just the PS2 version =).

Shadow Man
3rd Nov 2002, 17:35
Is there anywhere else that I can download the patch to make Blood Omen 1 work on Windows xp? I can't access the link a blank page just comes up.

blincoln
5th Nov 2002, 22:50
Here's the direct link: http://2kfix.cjb.net/kain2kfix.zip
Remember, this is just a hack. It didn't make the game work on my XP machine.

Shadow Man
9th Nov 2002, 19:47
Thanks, I got the patch and it works, I can play Blood Omen 1 again. But the gameplay sometimes slows down or speeds up suddenly and extremely(for the game), and after I turn it on or load a game.

blincoln
10th Nov 2002, 02:25
Yeah, I've heard about that problem too. Oh well, you got further than I did =).

blincoln
10th Nov 2002, 02:44
Hey, wow! I just tried reinstalling the game on my Win98 partition (I have dual boot) while running XP, and if I install the hacked EXE there I can play under XP just fine! This is really cool.

blincoln
22nd Nov 2002, 07:02
Full instructions for running BO1 under XP have been uploaded to my website:

http://www.thelostworlds.net/BO1-XP.HTML

Evelin The Winged
6th Dec 2002, 13:49
I have SR2 and it say's that I need to' insert the correct CD ROM and then restart the application' and I have SR2 inside. :(

blincoln
6th Dec 2002, 20:18
Do you have more than one CD-ROM drive?

Shadow Man
6th Dec 2002, 20:49
I have, and this happens with alot of my games(most of them have at least two cd's)

blincoln
6th Dec 2002, 21:40
A lot of games are picky about having the install disc in the same drive as when you originally installed the game. I think SR2 might be one of them.

Shadow Man
7th Dec 2002, 17:20
This didn't fix my problem!

Evelin The Winged
7th Dec 2002, 17:37
I am doomed to watch the trailers over and over again! :(

blincoln
7th Dec 2002, 22:33
What OS are you two running? Is it 2k or XP? What are your system specs? Motherboard, CPU, video card, RAM, type of CD-ROM drive, etc?

Evelin The Winged
8th Dec 2002, 14:51
I got XP and my computer is an Acer-that's all I know at the moment(SR2 worked before-but after I installed XP it just wouldn't work).

Shadow Man
8th Dec 2002, 15:28
I've got Windows xp, don't know the mother baord, Intel celleron 300mhz processer, NVIDIA GeForce 2(I think), 176 mb of ram(don't know what knid), cd drives: ASUS CD-S500/A and MITSUMI CR-4804TE, ALS4000 audio device (WDM). Thats all I know.

blincoln
8th Dec 2002, 20:49
Is the game locking up when you play it? Check to see if you have motherboards with VIA chipsets. The computer manufacturer should be able to tell you.

If it's not locking up, what's it doing?

Shadow Man
14th Dec 2002, 12:55
My computer doesn't crash, the games just won't come on. A message comes up saying something like 'Please put the cd game into drive H:' or something.

Brinkman
20th Jan 2003, 06:02
im having this same problem too

xp2000+
geforce 4 4200 v40.72
turtle beach santa cruz (lattest drivers)
VIA 4in1 drivers
512 pc2700 kingmax
directx 9

i cant think of what could possibly be the problem :(

sbateman
15th Feb 2003, 21:37
Hello,

I have this same problem and I just posted a thread for it. Seems like several other people have had this problem as well. Yet we have different video cards and sound cards. Only similarity is that we're both running Windows XP. Hhhmmm. Maybe we could change compatibility mode for SR2 so that it's running under Windows 98? I'll try it and see if that works.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please respond. Thanks!

Omega One
28th Feb 2003, 19:46
I'm posting this prior to searching the forums, as I'm in somewhat of a rush - but will search quickly in a minute.

I just spent £10 (and 6 weeks) buying SR1 for the PC... I install the patch on the Eidos site and now it tells me to insert the correect CD.

It is the correct CD, and works without the patch installed, but I need the patch on so I can use the tag list from TLWs...

Any help?

PC Specs
RAM: 256 mb
CPU: P4 2.2 GHz

I'm not too sure about the Graphics/sound/etc as the first two are built into the motherboard.

But as I said, it worked prior to installing the patch... :confused:

Edit

Thanks to blinc I've sorted this out. Alls I had to do was install the Win XP patch :rolleyes:

MARSDUDE
15th Mar 2003, 02:24
help! in SR 2 my game runs sssooo ssslllooowww. here are my specs:

Ram:256 ddr
CPU:AMD Athlon 1.5 Ghz
Graphics card:ATI Radeon 7500

ive only tried the menu because its so slow i always get mad so i quit and that takes 3 minutes but all my other games run real fast so do u know the problem and how to fix it?

jesta
28th Mar 2003, 17:40
ok well I Have an ATI Radion 7500 card running on Windows XP and had trouble with it but found a nifty registry tweak that helped
all you need to do is to goto start run type regedit
then you need to open HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Crystal Dynamics/Soul Reaver 2/1.00.000
then look for an entry named DisableVshader right click it select modify and change the 0 to a 1 click ok and your done.
i must say it worked for me a treat, but be careful editing anything in the registry as you can realy screw your pc up good and proper if your not careful.

Make sure you back up you regestery before you try.

Wolfe13
11th May 2003, 08:23
Hey,

I have XP pro latest NVIDIA drivers (43.45), Directx 9.0a, 64 MB DDR 3dProphet, 256MB DDR 1.4 AMD and the game goes to the main menu then the opening movie.. then black screen.

Nothing will get out of the black screen except rebooting

I have followed the advice on these forums as far as I could, since most of it was geared to SR1

I am patched to 1.02, have changed the reg key from 0 to 1. (even though I have a Geforce 3 compatible, I was trying anything)
I changed the shortcut to Win98/Me compatible.
I downgraded to the Detonator drivers to 29.42 and have tried..
40.72.. 41.09.. and 43.45, but nothing changes except now the black screen happens right before the menu shows up.. right after the Crystal Dynamic logo.
Out of about 50 tries I could get to the menu about 5 or 10 times then black screen. Before then I could at least see the opening movie, then black screen.

No errors. No desktop, just a black screen.

Currently have SR2 set up as- same sync, 800x600 16 bit and my desktop set to 800x600 also 16 bit (just to see if that affected it, it did not)

HELP!! :(

blincoln
11th May 2003, 09:55
From the sticky thread at the top of the forum:

"SR2 hard locks your system after the CrystalD logo, and you have a motherboard with a VIA chipset and Windows XP/2000? Download and install the 4-in-1 and IDE bus miniport drivers (they are seperate downloads) from http://www.viahardware.com/ "

Wolfe13
11th May 2003, 17:34
Thanks for the quick reply, but..

Like I posted ealier I followed most of the steps to fix this issue... but i forgot to mention I had already done the 4in1 4.46.. sorry

Bad Wolfehttp://myweb.cableone.net/jjwolfe/images/zzwhip.gif

You had made an "unofficial" patch for SR1.. any chance of doing that for SR2?

That is if I can not get this solved :confused:

Thanks,

~Edit: To be honest the 4in1 is probably what got me to the menu, right after the CD logo.

But still after arround 50 tries only about 10 made it past the logo, and every time I reinstalled then tried it would make it to the menu screen.

So you can see I reinstalled about 10 times :eek:

blincoln
11th May 2003, 20:48
You *must* install the IDE bus miniport driver seperately. It doesn't come with the 4-in-1s, and is critical to this problem. Did you do that?

Wolfe13
12th May 2003, 07:33
I did the "normal" install not the "quick" so I think I installed everything :confused:

I will run the 4 in 1 again and just install that, then post back what happened

Thanks,

blincoln
12th May 2003, 07:43
No, it's not part of the 4-in-1 package at all. You have to download it seperately =). If you do that, I am 99% sure it will work. This is the file you are looking for:

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/others/IDE_MPD3014.zip

Wolfe13
12th May 2003, 07:55
Well I am playing the opening in game movie for the first time since purchasing this (actually I am playing it right now, but was so happy I had to post) game.

Will update if I can actually play or not.. advance adulations to you blincoln anyway for your help..

Now to alt-tab back to the game.. :D

Thanks,

~Edit: Damn I heard that the in game movies could not be bypassed and that the intro was long.. but the game paused while I was posting so I have to hear all of it.. oh well it is running at least.

~Edit: Okay really long cut scenes.. but is Nosgoth ever so beautiful and the spirit realm, WOW!!
Alright, blincoln, in tech terms why did that work (I am in tech support for HP laser printers and would like to know why that worked??) So yes it is working and I saved :D :D

Thank you so much,

blincoln
12th May 2003, 08:58
It seems to be related to the copy protection the game uses. I don't know the full details of why, but the MS driver for some versions of the VIA chipsets doesn't like what it's doing.

The problem seems to be corrected with newer chipsets - on my old Athlon 1.2GHz system (Asus motherboard) I had to use that fix, but on my newer 1700+ system (Soyo Dragon Ultra) it works just fine without it.

Soul Reaver
3rd Jun 2003, 16:21
I have SR2 and it worked perfectly until I HAD to update to directx 9...
During the CD logo screen, the screen is black...
In the main menu the screen is blue with an exception of a window that is dark blue...
The videos run fine...
During the game (when Moebius talks to Raziel) the screen is brown but the brown variates...

Here are my system specs:

Win XP
256 MB SDRAM
GeForce 3 Ti 200 64 MB
FAT 32 formated 30 GB harddisk
908 Mhz AMD Athlon
Directx 9

I downloaded the 1.02 update but it said that the cd wasn't correct although it was but the problem remains...

Please help me!

Thanx in advance...

Hey, I figured it out by myself... you had to change the registry so, that in Soul Reaver 2's directory DISABLE DVShader would be marked with a 1ˇ.

gnothere
15th Jun 2003, 23:28
I am running Win98SE with geForce256 video card and 384Mb ram with over 1 gig hd space left on C:. I have Direct X8.1 already installed and the latest nVidia drivers.

The problem occurs at the beginning of the game, before the first save point. After eliminating the 3 guards in the one room, I enter the hallway with a gate at the end. As I approach the gate, the game crashes with this error message.

I tried turning off all sounds, hints, compass, and lowered my resolution to 640x480. I also disabled Norton anti-virus, as suggested in the Readme file.

Has anyone seen this or have a solution. If not, then I will probably return this game and get something else.

-gnothere

blincoln
16th Jun 2003, 02:57
Asking here is fine. That thread is for archived issues.

From the symptoms, it sounds like either a problem with the Nvidia drivers or your CD drivers.

Try using the 42.xx version of the Detonators. The latest ones have known issues. If that doesn't resolve the issue, we can proceed from there.

gnothere
16th Jun 2003, 21:18
I had 40.72 nVidia drivers when the problem occurred.

On nVidia's website, all I could find were these driver versions for Win98 (28.32, 29.42, 30.82, 40.71, 40.72, 41.09, 43.45, and 44.03). I downloaded the latest 44.03 drivers and tried it, however the crash still occurred. The error was "Unknown Error d176e7f6".

I have Norton Antiviurs and am using Microsoft Sidewinder Game Pad. Any suggestions?

blincoln
17th Jun 2003, 02:08
What are the rest of your system specs? Do you have an Athlon-based system?

gnothere
17th Jun 2003, 20:49
I have a P3-800mhz, 384 Ram, 2 internal HD with 10gigs free combined, SB Live sound card, Samsung DVD-CD ROM, external Yamaha CDR, Windows 98SE, Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad, IBM optical mouse. Anything else?

blincoln
18th Jun 2003, 01:12
Hmm, no, that all looks good. There are two recommendations I have:

- Try playing with the disc in your other CD drive. Usually this type of crash is because of the copy protection, which some drives have trouble with.

- Try upgrading to DirectX 9.

gnothere
19th Jun 2003, 03:15
Thanks for your help blincoln. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it using my other CD drive (which is newer and tends to work better than my internal DVD/CD drive). The game now works. Apparently, when the game enters a new section, it tries to load it from the HD. The original installation must have been corrupt and thus crashed at this same point. So far so good.
-gnothere :)

the_grip
27th Jun 2003, 13:59
i just upgraded my comp - i have Win XP, AMD 2800 Barton, ATI Radeon 9800, and, of course, Soul Reaver 2. However, when i run the game, everything is fine EXCEPT Raziel. I only see his tattered wings and the soul reaver (when activated).

Anyone know a fix for this?

wroding
29th Jun 2003, 05:14
Hi everyone
I just bought soul reaver 2 for the pc and am having terrible trouble just getting it to start.
I have had blood omen 2 working great and i understand is a newer game!
I have installed and uninstalled twice or three times now, also defraged disk and scanned it but it still is jerky.I havent even got in game yet,i have only got to the start screen.It is jerky even then.
I have p111 850mhz, 512 ram and a g force mx 420 card and also a sound blaster live card.
I know the graphics card is not up to much but it runs other games great.
Can anyone help please im itching to play this game

blincoln
29th Jun 2003, 06:00
Make sure you've patched the game to the latest version. You're going to need to make the registry change in the thread Umah linked to because of your graphics card. Also, be SURE you're running the latest Detonator drivers from Nvidia - there was a batch that caused the framerate on SR2 to be less than it could be.

OugaBooga
30th Jun 2003, 01:54
seems i had noproblems with it even without installing a patch ...1800xp...a7v266e running XP.No prob's here:)

wroding
30th Jun 2003, 02:34
Thank you guys.
It runs great now i went into the registry!!!!
All the best John.

ezra
28th Jul 2003, 01:21
Ok, first of all, i have read the faq, and the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Here is my problem:

As soon as a start soul reaver2, i get alternating colours of blue, brown, and purple. When everything is blue, i can make out some details of the menu, and by doing this (with much strain to my eyes) i managed to change the resolution, and some other graphical options. This did nothing to resolve my problem. Also, everything else seems to work. The sound works, the menu works, etc. I am currently running an AMD 2600 2.1ghz CPU, Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb video card, 512M DDR ram, on WIN XP. Windows XP has a compatibility option that is supposed to resolve known problems with programs that weren't designed for XP. This did nothing. So I ask, no, BEG this forum for help.

NOTE: I emailed Eidos support, and having since waited more than 52 hours for a response, i've given up on them.

EDIT: Its now been 75 hours :(

Centurion
28th Jul 2003, 01:23
did you have to edit the registry slightly? thats what i had to do when i ran Soul Reaver 2 for the first time with a geforce 4 mmx

~Cent~

ezra
28th Jul 2003, 01:40
Edit my registry? I know that for one common bug (called "torn graphics") you have to edit your registry. I don't know of this would solve my probelm, and i'm not getting torn graphics. Also, the cinematic runs fine, but once i get into the actual game, all i get is a dull grey/green screen.

Omega
28th Jul 2003, 21:34
Right, I'm no tech-guru (not having the PC version, or a good graphics card really sucks :() but I'll try my best :)

1. Make sure DirectX is up-to-date (by that, I mean, make sure you have the version the game requires).

2. Clicking here (http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/support/search.html?gmid=85) will take you to the page with the hack. It's at the top of the page, and is 12.4 Mb. If that doesn't work:

3. Make sure all your graphics card drivers are up to date. This page (http://mirror.ati.com/support/products/pc/ragepro/winxp/rageprowinxpdrivers.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=19&submit.y=8) should be of help. It's the official site. If it doesn't, you can search again as I may have done something wrong :)

Windows XP has a compatibility option that is supposed to resolve known problems with programs that weren't designed for XP.

This was ment as an attempt to get Soul Reaver 1 working on the PC. It shouldn't really matter in my opinion (I'm probably wrong) as Soul Reaver 2 was just released after XP was.

Glucolisis
28th Jul 2003, 22:07
Did you patch it to the 1.02 version??

That fixed the problem for me.

blincoln
28th Jul 2003, 22:50
Yeah, that really sounds something that the patch will fix.

ezra
29th Jul 2003, 22:51
Wow, thanks for all the help everyone! Im sure one of these will be the answer to my problem. Ill try it when i have a minute :D

Thanks again! :D

davev7
1st Aug 2003, 16:57
hello,

i have heard a lot of good things about this game and i am wondering how it plays so i downloaded the demo and when i start it up, i see nothing but a beige screen with a prison looking bars at the beginning then it goes to a start up menu where i can vaguely see the words? i really wanted to try this game.. i changed all the settings for my computer... here are my specs

dell dimension 8200
p4 2.8ghz
120gb HD
1gb rd-ram (pc-800)
64mg geforce4 ti4200
santa cruz sound card

blincoln
2nd Aug 2003, 19:06
Make sure you've got the latest version of DirectX, and the latest Detonator drivers from Nvidia for your Geforce. If that doesn't work, then you could try making the registry change that's listed in the technical help thread at the top of this forum.

davev7
3rd Aug 2003, 01:34
hey sorry it took so long.. its the soul reaver 2 demo on WINDOWS XP

tomb_raiding
6th Aug 2003, 12:31
I'm having a serious PROBLEM, when I'm playing through the game, for maybe half an hour, the sound suddenly, becomes echoy and terrible, and u can't understand anything said, can somone Please Help Me ??? :(

:)

the_grip
6th Aug 2003, 14:32
Couldn't help you there, but i quit trying to play it after a repeated crash to desktop in the exact same spot (the lake underneath the big winged statue - during the wintery scene, when i go underwater and shift to the spectral realm, as soon as i enter the hole that appears beneath the statue - bang, back to desktop. Sucks too b/c the last save is some distance away.

tomb_raiding
6th Aug 2003, 23:33
I'm having the Same Problem on WinXP :(

blincoln
7th Aug 2003, 00:48
Brinkman and cwalker (*especially* cwalker), you need to update your video drivers. Go to nvidia.com and download the latest Detonator package. They're up to 43.something now. That should give you a framerate boost and get rid of the crackling.

sbateman and tomb_raiding, are you also running GeForce 4s? What version of the drivers do you have? You can find out by going to your Start menu, choosing Run, entering "dxdiag" in the box and pressing enter, then going to the Display tab and looking under Drivers.

sbateman
7th Aug 2003, 05:06
Hey thanks for your reply. It's been a while, but in response to your question, I actually have a Radeon 9700 Pro, not a G5 card. I had the newest drivers at the time. I thought this issue was interesting because although everyone who posted on this message seems to have the same problem, the only similarities between our computers is Windows XP (and perhaps Intel Pentium 4 processors?). Eidos, take note! Anyway, my Soundcard is crap and I suspect that it is the problem - a SoundBlaster Live Value (came with the Dell)... Oh well, I finished the game in spite of the terrible sound, but it was pretty sad. It's hard to really get into a game when you hear "SNAP" "CRACKLE" "POP" (and it's not coming from your cereal).

tomb_raiding
7th Aug 2003, 11:43
I found a solution to my problem in the my previous post and thought I might share it with u, on WinXP Pro or Home just right click on the shortcut Icon, sitch to the compatblity TAB and "check" Disable Visual Themes,

There ya go :)

tomb_raiding
7th Aug 2003, 11:49
I found a soultion to the Main Problem and i posted it Here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=237407)

wilsey
11th Aug 2003, 13:49
ok , after looking forward to his game i bought it about a year ago but never got a chance to play it well ( **** PC then )

so after upgrading my PC a few months ago and browsing through my CD collection i came across this , whoaa , forgot i had it :)

but after installing the game and trying to run it i keep getting an error "unknown error : e3e8e7f6"

i get this right after the crystal dynamics splash screen and it just crashes with that error

i tried both the 1.1 and 1.2 updates but yet still crashes at the same spot

here's my specs , any help greatly recieved , thanks

Radeon 9700pro (cat drivers 3.6)
AthlonXP 2400+ 2.0ghz
256mb DDR400
KS75A Mobo
Seagate HD ATA66 20gb
Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612
LG CD-RW CED-8083B (4x/4x/32x CD-RW)
Logitech WingMan RumblePad USB
Windows ME

please help me play this great game , just beat SR1 on my DC again to remember the story , thanks

blincoln
11th Aug 2003, 14:17
If your motherboard has a VIA chipset, you need to download and install their IDE bus miniport driver. Check the technical help thread at the top of this forum for links.

wilsey
11th Aug 2003, 14:28
no , the motherboard has a SIS735 chipset , have updated the AGP,IDE and Sound drivers of it , still same error

any more advice ? thanx

blincoln
12th Aug 2003, 01:05
Have you tried installing and playing the game from both of your CD drives? Usually the only errors that SR2 has are because some drives don't like the copy protection on the disc.

wilsey
16th Aug 2003, 08:49
thanx but nope , still didn't work

used both my drives to install the game but still no go

however , using my cdrw drive , the games now just hangs on a black screen after the crystle D logo so i am getting somewere with it ..

any more advice , thanx

Neo
24th Aug 2003, 23:00
When I start the game i can see only green and blue screens, nothing else.
I got a P4, 256 RAM, Win XP, ATI Radeon 7000.
What can I do?
Help me please!

blincoln
25th Aug 2003, 00:50
Have you looked in the technical help thread at the top of the page? Usually that's because you haven't patched the game to 1.2.

Neo
25th Aug 2003, 09:57
I tried to edit the Win registry but I can't find the file "1.00.000", when i get to "Software" and then to " Crystal Dynamics" there's no "+".

Neo
25th Aug 2003, 10:06
I'm getting the torn graphic with my SR2 since I have a Radeon 7000 and that's what you said I need to do:

This is because of the strange (and slightly buggy) way the Geforce4MX supports/emulates vertex shaders.
If you have a Geforce4MX (as you do) you'll have to go into the game registry entry (using regedit) at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Soul Reaver 2\1.00.000 and set DisableVShader to 1.

When I get to "Software" and then to "Crystal Dynamics" I can't find no other "+" and so no file "1.00.000". I got Win XP.
What could it be?

Glucolisis
25th Aug 2003, 15:44
Patch the game to 1.2 and see if it works.

blincoln
25th Aug 2003, 18:32
Yeah, this is not a registry issue at all. You just need to download the 1.2 patch from the Eidos site and apply it.

blincoln
27th Aug 2003, 00:19
You need to patch the game to 1.2 first.

Astral Matrix
29th Aug 2003, 22:31
Hi ALL!

I am having a serious problem with Soul Reaver 2 after using the patch to fix the problems with my Radeon the game seemed to play fine, but after a few minutes of game play my machine shut down :confused: ? Any ideas anyone?

Dean.

OugaBooga
30th Aug 2003, 08:49
I say SMASH your PC & go get a PS2 & an Xbox ;)
Problem solved :D

Astral Matrix
30th Aug 2003, 12:06
Already got a X-Box & PS2 is out of fashion!:D

blincoln
4th Sep 2003, 06:24
Do you get an error message? What are the rest of your system specs? I'm especially curious about your motherboard.

Astral Matrix
4th Sep 2003, 17:34
Hi blincoln,

No I didn't get a error message before the machine just shut down. My system spec is: Samsung P10 Laptop, Pentium 4 1.4GHZ, 512MB DDR/PC2100, 32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 AGP. Not sure about the motherboard though?

Thanks!
Dean.

blincoln
4th Sep 2003, 20:23
Oh, it's a laptop? That might cause problems.

If it's a laptop, and it is actually shutting down (I thought you meant the game was crashing), it sounds like possibly a heat issue to me. Is there a temperature monitor utility that Samsung includes? Have you tried any other recent 3D games on it?

Astral Matrix
4th Sep 2003, 21:13
Hi,

I have played Rayman 3, Warcraft III, Quake III Arena, Tomb Raider 2,4 & TRAOD. They all run fine with no problems! Well anyways I did already suspect an over heat problem, and could well be? But wasn't sure because I have a desktop fan running 24/7 blowing directly onto my laptop.

There is no temperature monitor utility, which you would expect from a laptop of this spec, Oh well doesn’t' surprise me really I have had 3 laptops various brands and spec and to be completely honest I have to say they all sucked! When it comes to heat problems. Laptop manufactures haven’t got it right yet!

Thanks for the support anyway,

Dean.

blincoln
4th Sep 2003, 21:24
Yeah, if I had a laptop I definitely wouldn't use it for gaming =(. If those other games work okay it might be something else, but I wouldn't know what to try since I don't have a similar machine to test on.

yesterdayshero
7th Sep 2003, 06:03
Anyone have any tips on how to stop the game from crashing when i try to load saved games?

I've patched to 1.02 and i've got a geforce 4. I did the regedit that they told me to do for the tearing graphics, but the game still crashes.

:confused:

blincoln
7th Sep 2003, 19:07
Hmm. You don't have a home network with your My Documents folder mapped to a network drive, do you?

yesterdayshero
7th Sep 2003, 21:24
nope, i do have my documents pointed at my d drive though. I don't know why that would matter, but i'll try pointing that at c: and then if the network might be screwing it up, i'll disable my network.

I guess we'll see...

yesterdayshero
7th Sep 2003, 22:09
yes!!! i got the issue solved. Thanks blincoln for the help.

What i did was:

Directed the my documents to c:\my documents and then i noticed that, while the game started up like normal, it reached the opening screen faster then it had previously. My old saves weren't there, but after i played through to a save point, i was then able to load the game without any problems what-so-ever.

Thanks again.

Yesterdays Hero

blincoln
7th Sep 2003, 23:56
No problem =). There was a similar issue with the savegames for Blood Omen 2.

Lizard[nl]
12th Sep 2003, 14:29
I recently bought soul reaver 2, but now that i want to play it doesent run correctly. i have a radeon 9500 but the screen is very very blue for some reason.

Umah Bloodomen
12th Sep 2003, 16:22
You may wish to scan this thread for a possible solution. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22537)

blincoln
12th Sep 2003, 17:08
Yeah, you need to patch the game to 1.2.

Dragonqueen
12th Sep 2003, 19:37
HELP!! I completely uninstalled SR2 by going to Programs, Eidos Interactive, Soul Reaver 2, Uninstall Soul Reaver 2 which uninstalled the game leaving the game folder behind which I then deleted through Windows Explorer.

Now, when the CD autoruns, I click on Play and nothing happens, I click on Uninstall and nothing happens. There is no option to Install SR2.

Ive even gone to Windows Explorer, clicked on CD drive (D), selected SR2 to be told "this application has failed to start because binkw32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" :confused: I cannot find this file anywhere on my computer and even if I had the file, I would not know where to put it to make my copy of SR2 work again.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Camus Audron
12th Sep 2003, 19:56
Hm....binkw32.dll missing must mean that it was one of the shared files that SR2 used, and it was accidentally uninstalled

Either that or you have a virus, you might want to scan your pc. If it is indeed the product of a virus, you should check some internet pages about that virus which infected you, they usually tell you how to replace the files the virus affects

Eitherway you'll have to find a new binkw32.dll somewhere( maybe in your OS'es isntalation cd), or re-install your OS

just found this(via google)...might come usefull for you http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/binkw32/

I am sorry but I cant help you any further than this.

blincoln
13th Sep 2003, 00:56
No, she just needs to reinstall the game.

In order to make that possible, follow the instructions in the first post in this thread:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=92

It's the fourth answer.

Dragonqueen
13th Sep 2003, 08:38
Originally posted by blincoln
No, she just needs to reinstall the game.

In order to make that possible, follow the instructions in the first post in this thread:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=92

It's the fourth answer.

Ive even followed the solution given in the fourth answer "You deleted the Soul Reaver 2 folder on your PC instead of uninstalling the game, and now you can't reinstall it because it thinks it is already there? You'll need to do some registry editing. Be VERY careful, because you can make your PC unuseable if you screw up. If you've never edited the registry before, you should probably ask a friend for help. Go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then Software, then Eidos Interactive, and delete the entire Soul Reaver 2 tree. Now you'll be able to install the game again. Use the proper uninstall next time =)." There is no Eidos Interactive folder / Soul Reaver 2 tree there under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software.

I am not being given the option to reinstall SR 2 at all. :(

Vinicius
13th Sep 2003, 12:01
I think there isn't a eidos interactive folder even when the game is properly installed. Try Crystal Dinamics folder instead (that is where my soul reaver 2 and blood omen 2 tree are)

Dragonqueen
13th Sep 2003, 12:12
Originally posted by Vinicius
I think there isn't a eidos interactive folder even when the game is properly installed. Try Crystal Dinamics folder instead (that is where my soul reaver 2 and blood omen 2 tree are)

Thank you very much Vinicius. It worked :D