PDA

View Full Version : guns

W.C. Duck
9th Aug 2003, 12:37
Hey, I was just watching the screenies, and most of it is looking good.
most of it, because WHY ON EARTH do al the guns have lights and displays and ****ing neon lights on them?

if i wish to use guns with integrated disco-feature i'll play unreal tournament or whatever, but DX is supposed to be a more realistic game, and guns with lights on them are simply not realistic!

think about what any badguy will do when he sees a blue light flashing in the shadows in the opposite corner of the room.

or does this mean I will not be able to use my favoured stealthy approach while carrying big guns?

ION storm, for heavens sake, PLEASE get rid of those idiotic gaming-experience spoiling, absolutely unrealistic flashy (that enough?) lights and displays on the guns.

it's like walking in Las Vegas for crying out loud.

that'll be all, have a nice day :)

Trollslayer
9th Aug 2003, 14:56
In DX1:

-The Statue of Liberty was supposedly destroyed by a French terrorist group
-Nanotechnolgy was used a lot
-Cloning was already used
-Combining DNA of several species was used
-Augmentations were placed inside special agents and operated on a nanoscale
-Enemies often times had a FoV that didn't noticed you were in front of them
-Older UNATCO agents used mechanical and plastic augmentation
-FEMA was more interested in causing catastrophes than actually solving them
-Bipedal, arachnid and catterpilar sentry droids roamed the game
-Miniaturized cleaner bots cleaned carpets
-Artifical Intelligence not only existed, but merged itself with one another
-Nano-based bladed weapon prototypes existed
-Gunther could kill everyone with his measly knife and not get killed by NSF grunts who were shooting at him
-Enemies while running could unlock doors without having the nanokeys for them
-Illuminati members where active
-Cryogenic sleep wasn't profound
-Plasma-based weaponry existed

. . .

Yup, wouldn't want DX1's "realism" to be taken down by weapons with LEDs... :rolleyes:

operative x
9th Aug 2003, 19:16
Yup, wouldn't want DX1's "realism" to be taken down by weapons with LEDs... HAHHAHAHAH LOL I like the new flashy lights they look cool. If you wanna talk unrealistic look at splinter cell. Sam fisher had green lights all over his body.

BrainPrawn
10th Aug 2003, 00:51
Trollslayer, LOL! :D

Montial
10th Aug 2003, 06:00
Originally posted by operative x
HAHHAHAHAH LOL I like the new flashy lights they look cool. If you wanna talk unrealistic look at splinter cell. Sam fisher had green lights all over his body.

Yeah, that kinda gets me too.

Guard1:"hey, you see that? Those out of place green lights in that bush?"
Guard2:"Probably just an american spy/agent come to kill us all, ignore it, keep looking around pointlessly and walking through dark areas that an american spy with the right tools can creep through."
Guard 1:"You know, sometimes I wonder about that, hey, you were right, those green lights are gone.....Guard 1? Guard 1? Hey, where are you.....?"

drone1984
10th Aug 2003, 11:51
I also think that there shouldn't be too many flashing lights and crap on the guns... But I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda guy... But let's face it - those flashy lights makes a game feel less and less realistic. [even if it's based in the distant future] The less realistic the guns feel, the faster you will lose interest - and the less impact the game will have on you. DX1 had what... 1, 2 guns with flashy lights? And for a rocket-launcher system, that's understandable. We don't really know the percentage of guns that will have flashy lights thou - so we really shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves...

Now for a touch of real realism.

Look at the way modern weapons are going - for example the OICW. Granted, the smaller counterpart [H&K MP7] is a low-tech assault rifle solution, the OICW is more than likely the direction weaponry will take. Like mentioned in DX1 by the first BOSS you encounter, [NFS leader in the statue] they're most likely trying to make it more like a video-game. Not only will the kids not feel so bad about killing someone with them, but hopefully they will require less psychological therapy.

I personally hope that DX2 will feature mainly low-tech firearms solutions - this is fairly realistic, as the less technology it uses, the less likely it is to fail. However I'll still buy the game if it doesn't, and I'll still play it, and I'll still... well I will probably still enjoy it.

Remember - You utilize the weapon - the weapon does not utilize you.

Gaurd1: Do you see that green light over there?
Gaurd2: I sure do.
Gaurd1: What the heck is it?
Gaurd2: The firing console on a rocket launcher.
*click* *boom* *click*
Gaurd1: Nice shot!
Gaurd2: Thanks...

Trollslayer
10th Aug 2003, 12:19
Originally posted by drone1984
I also think that there shouldn't be too many flashing lights and crap on the guns... But I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda guy... But let's face it - those flashy lights makes a game feel less and less realistic. [even if it's based in the distant future] The less realistic the guns feel, the faster you will lose interest - and the less impact the game will have on you. DX1 had what... 1, 2 guns with flashy lights?

Actually it didn't bothered me that much, in terms of flashy lights. If the game presents, from the get go, a reason as to why those lights are there, i really don't mind. Unreal 2's excuse was its futuristic design. I wasn't uncomfortbale by using the Drakk Laser Cannon, or even the Izarian Shock Lance. Given those weapons weren't standard in any way (specially not the Spidergun :D ), but there was an explanation to them, it didn't felt overly cheap. Sometimes a weapon with flashy lights has no explanation, but sometimes the lights are there for a reason. If all weapons would be flashy without a noticeable reason, then it might be bad. I don't think the weapons in IW will be overly filled with lights. Even if they have more than enough, i don't pay attention to guns. I rarely use them, and even if i did use them, i don't look at them, only at the crosshair or the targets.

And actually i think the only flashy weapons in DX1 were the Dragon's Tooth, the LAM, the Scramble Grenade and the EMP grenade. Not sure if the Plasma Rifle was flashy or not (don't think it was).

Ductonius
10th Aug 2003, 16:40
Game a minute:

Deus Ex.

Paul: Welcome to UNATCO, the great organization dedicated to fighting terrorism. Oh, BTW, I'll be leaving to join the terrorists soon.

JC: Me too.

(they do)

JC: We need to stop the real terrorists: MJ-12

Paul: Absolutly, which is why I'm going to do nothing but give you moral support.

(they do)

Illuminati: Hey, don't we fit in here somewhere?

JC: Sure.

Fin.

BrainPrawn
11th Aug 2003, 14:12
LOL

agent008
13th Aug 2003, 16:39
lol i must say that is funny what some of you guys wrote. the companies should hire you guys to put in funny conversations into some games.

I say when i saw the hud display and that blue targeting aim thing in the screen shots of the game it kinda upset me because i do not want to see some fancy target aim whatever you call it.

if you want to see something realistic or future like weapons they should put:

a sniper rifle that see through walls and you can shoot people(of course)

that gun they had in the movie Eraser nice
:D

or the sword in johnny nimonic or what ever that movie is called

a gun that shoots out eletrisity like in unreal or gta2 that eletro gun

and finally a gun that shoots out lasers:eek:

well i hope those guns dont sound like some crazy recomendations:rolleyes:

Trollslayer
13th Aug 2003, 16:50
Originally posted by agent008
lol i must say that is funny what some of you guys wrote. the companies should hire you guys to put in funny conversations into some games.

I wish i was hired for doing work in design, dialogues, interaction, and some light texture work. I really do. :)

drone1984
13th Aug 2003, 22:58
Originally posted by Trollslayer
I wish i was hired for doing work in design, dialogues, interaction, and some light texture work. I really do. :)

I just wish I had a job. *sighs* Woe is me, Oregon has the highest unemployment rate in the country, and it's mainly tech...

heh, Agent - that's a "Crosshair" or "Crossheir" - depending on your origen. As I've said in other posts, I do think that that HUD is pretty lame, but I'd really have to dink around with it for a bit before I could really decide...

Hopefully the game will allow you to change crossheirs, as I preffer the dot. I have a feeling the HUD will have an Alpha-Blending control [lets you control the opacity of it] and possibly a way to change how the HUD looks.

They've been talking about making the game interface more fluid, and less mechanical, to make it more immersive... That kind of concerns me, as the inventory system in DX1 was quite useable - and that should be their primary concern. A lot of game designers are screwing up lately because they're forgetting the simple but all important rules of the game... Primarily, more function that form. ... But, I imagine they'll do it right - they did such a great job on DX1.

As for guns I think SHOULD be there... A pistol with an animated autoloader. I'm tired of seeing games where you shot a projectile from a block of metal with no moving parts. A rifle with exposed sights - at least something I'm used to :) And it would be nice to have an actual Katana in the game...

... I hope this game will be cool.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
14th Aug 2003, 07:22
I want a gun with a bent cannon, so I can shoot around corners!!

PDenton
14th Aug 2003, 10:34
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
Wouldn't it just be easier to get a gun and stick it round the corner and fire aimlessly:p, maybe stick a periscope on its side so you can aim:)

ginger_grunger
14th Aug 2003, 11:10
Originally posted by PDenton
Wouldn't it just be easier to get a gun and stick it round the corner and fire aimlessly:p, maybe stick a periscope on its side so you can aim:)

what, you mean like some lame arse CS n00b? lol

agent008
14th Aug 2003, 13:17
lol

Ductonius
14th Aug 2003, 13:21
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames

You mean kind of like this (http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models/ka174.html) or the Krummerlauf (http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1315)?

(Yes, the last one is Something Awful, but the artical is real and not satire for once)

agent008
14th Aug 2003, 13:52
those are some weard looking weapons here:eek: :rolleyes:

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
14th Aug 2003, 14:57
oh my god, they really did it !!

(now we only have to find a way to force Eidos to put one in DX:IW)

Godwin
16th Aug 2003, 13:59
i think some of the small lights are fine, but then, does a gun need to blare out "MAKO" in bright blue light!? what the hell does it mean anyway!?

I was really surprised when some one up there commented that the HUD was bad because it was all bright and blue.... hey man, it's GREAT! It's sleek, it's stylish, and it's probably what the agent sees in his eyes. Haven't you ever read the interviews with warren spector? He said he WANTED and LOVED the round iris-like HUD

W.C. Duck
17th Aug 2003, 09:57
originally posted by Godwin:
Haven't you ever read the interviews with warren spector? He said he WANTED and LOVED the round iris-like HUD

so?

PDenton
17th Aug 2003, 10:25
Originally posted by Godwin
i think some of the small lights are fine, but then, does a gun need to blare out "MAKO" in bright blue light!? what the hell does it mean anyway!?
They probably tried to make the game more realistic by putting a manufacturer on the guns, maybe MAKO is a gun company that has decided to sponsor the game if they get advertised on the side of the IW guns in blue lights. :D

I was really surprised when some one up there commented that the HUD was bad because it was all bright and blue....
Blue isn't exactly the most unintrusive colour. We've only seen screenshots and maybe to you it looks sleek and stylish but it does take up a lot of uneccesary space on the screen and lots of us are worried that it will block off some of your periferal vision. :( We really won't know if it gets in the way until we've played the game though. Personally I prefered the top and bottom set-up. :p

Haven't you ever read the interviews with warren spector? He said he WANTED and LOVED the round iris-like HUD
Here I agree with W. C. Duck, so? :confused: Maybe it will work but again blue isn't exactly the best colour if this is supposed to be burnt into his retina, maybe a brown. I hope that he also includes a way to turn it of or make it more transparent for those of us who don't want and love the new HUD.

ginger_grunger
17th Aug 2003, 16:32
yeah, I'd definetely like to see an option that would allow me to revert to the original Deus Ex HUD, or at least a less intrusive one, perhaps...but until I play the game, theres no way to be sure, so i'm not gonna nag and whinge, just wait...and, all things considered, i would hope Ion Storm would be spending more time on making an amazing sequel then *****ing around with the HUD
:D

Edicius Tsaf
17th Aug 2003, 21:00
Heya, i think i love this d*mn HUD too:)
It looks cool.
But i agree with the lights on the weapons... They will surely be disturbing

Bio Denton
18th Aug 2003, 15:55
I'm all for low-tech weaponry, but there had better damn well be a weapon, that when triggered, hums for a few moments before creating a deafeningly high-pitched roar as it hurls a beam of light across the street and rips a hole in the chest of some random innoce... murdering drug-dealer.

agent008
19th Aug 2003, 15:22
lol that would be lovely if there were alot of humans and robots and a gun shoots out a lot of bolts and you see humans and robots parts start flying all over the place lol