PDA

View Full Version : My New Computer is built!

Sneak
8th Aug 2003, 20:19
I mentioned a while back that I was going to build myself a comp this time around and was researching all the info to decide on hardware. Well I did, I ordered the materials, I built it, it's complete. And if anyone wants one, I am taking orders and will build you one just exactly like this for the right price! You can see a pic of it at the link below. Hope you are impressed!

http://spike852.home.mindspring.com/cafa3.jpg

theBlackman
8th Aug 2003, 21:48
Glad to see you are back. I have only one question: Is'nt that one a leetle Nekkid? :D

LeatherMan
8th Aug 2003, 21:51
I like the penguin on top. I guess that means you are running Linux! ;)

Oh, and it isn't the looks that count, it's the airflow ...

BrokenArts
8th Aug 2003, 22:12
Looks good!...............I think. :p

Gumdrop
8th Aug 2003, 22:31
Ahah...I just heard something very interesting Sneak! ;)

BrokenArts
8th Aug 2003, 22:42
Huh? What is that piece of sheit anyways? http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/sarge/Eye_anim.gif http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/sarge/Eye_anim.gif
http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/cwm/3dlil/eek13.gif
Man you can do better than that Sneakster. Tisk tisk. :p

clayman
8th Aug 2003, 23:33
What ? No keyboard tray ? ;)

Sneak
9th Aug 2003, 00:09
TBM: Nekkid Computers are the next wave in Case Mods. Free Yourself! Undress yours NOW! ;)

LM: Yes, it is the Air Flow. This thing is Open Air Cooled. You can't see it in the shot but there is a 36 inch box fan blowing volumes of air on it. Combine that with a window unit AC and you can Overclock this thing well past anything on the market.

BA: Looks Good? Dang Straight it does. Wanna buy one? Swing on over! ;)

Gumdrop: You heard something? And I was trying to be weely qwiet! HA! :D What did you hear?

BA: Make up your freekin mind! "It looks good, itsa piece of sheit!" Which one is it? You must be a female! :p Ohh I am gonna die now Just look at the mods you could do here to make it beautious. Why you can spray paint it in multiple colors, use stenciling, splatter it with UV Silly String, glue UV fans of all sizes and colors, wrap EL wire all over it, neon lights, LED's in multitudinous colors, put colored spotlights around it and screw UV bulbs in your chandelier and swing over it and watch the light show below ya. You can't buy a case like that in most places. You can even throw flavored colored sprinkles on it if ya want too. :)

Clayman: Actually I ran out of money building this thing so there is no Keyboard Tray. So I had to sit the keyboard on the wet bar next to the icemaker by the glasses. The Bartender will make whatever you desire though! :)

BrokenArts
9th Aug 2003, 00:13
I was just agreeing with you Sneak, whatever you think looks good, uh huh. :p Your not boring me, oh no, Zzzzzzzzzz. I think. Float that boat dude.

No no, let my blood or yours pulsate through that thing. ;)

Sneak
9th Aug 2003, 00:19
And furthermore BA, you remember that pic I saw in your camera? Well I bet you could hang those on there too. Bet THEY would glow under a UV lamp! :p

Now there's a new idea for Case Modding. You could be the first BA! LMAO HAHAHAHA!

Mr. Perfect
9th Aug 2003, 01:05
Mmmm. Electrostaticshockalicious! *bzZzt*

BTW, hit us with some specs man! What IS it? Is that a PCI video card? An aluminum heatsink? Doesn't Shuttle color their board like that? Do I spy SATA cables?

BrokenArts
9th Aug 2003, 16:28
Capital idea Sneak. :p Industry first I bet, I'll let ya know how things go. Thanks for the idea.

Sneak
9th Aug 2003, 21:01
To Late BA,
I saw your first post before the edit. Now I am hanging out by the mailbox. LMAO! :D

BrokenArts
10th Aug 2003, 00:22
Shouldn't I deliver it instead. LOL :p hahaha.

Caradavin1
10th Aug 2003, 08:42
What! Sacriledge! lol

Thou must have quite a HD on that naked beauty. Specs,specs. I want specs! :D

littlek
10th Aug 2003, 13:11
That looks like the computer of the guy who built my desktop. His version of a laptop was to carry around a PC without its cover. :D

Alpacalips Cow
10th Aug 2003, 16:45
Eh. Performance can make you forget looks. So what will she do in the quarter? You never said what she has under the hood. Give us the motherboarding specs already.

Huntress
13th Aug 2003, 02:40
Oh heavens... it's, it's...a cccoooommmmppuuutteerr??? LOL Well I congratulate you on your achievement of building one yourself Sneak..but I'll take mine dressed if you don't mind! :D It may be a hot-rod but I don't think I could bear to look at it..not unless it's hidden away in some closet or something so I wouldn't know the difference! :D

Apparently some of what was wrong with mine was the CPU. Tech said after testing found it was not working right, so got an RMA and waiting for the replacement. If not one thing, it's another!

Happy for you though that you finally got your dream machine :) Ta and Good Hunting!

Sneak
31st Aug 2003, 19:48
I should have replied to this one a bit ago. Seems a few actually think the pic is the real deal. Wellllllllll..............................It is but not mine. Ha! ;)

Actually a guy named Spike over at the DSL Reports forum has that open air comp link in his sig tag line. And from what I understand he did build it. I do not know the specs. But his tag line is: "We don't need no Stinkin' Case!"

I thought it was pretty funny so I tossed it over here to pull a few legs. Spike was pretty helpful with some questions I had on OS's etc. He had some good info.

But I really did build a comp and it has been up for a bit here. Not all tweaked out yet. Have been swamped a bit and out of town taking 16 hours of continuing education. But it works. All I have left is to move a bunch of files from my old system over and get some games up on the new one. Trying to get that all done this weekend.

I asked a question on the technical topic, if ya have time and can, help me out over there.

Here's the specs on my new THIEF STEALTH comp if you are interested.

Case: Thermaltake Xaser III Black with Red 1420 D
Has a side window and 420 watt Thermaltake Pure Power power supply.

MOBO: MSI P875 NEO FIS2R with Intel ICH5 R Chipset
This board I liked but it had BIOS troubles early on and I waited and they were corrected in revisions.

CPU: Intel 3 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB 512 KB level 2 cache Hyper Threading. Retail box. Yep used the Intel fan and heat sink but for grins I did Lap the sink.

Memory: 1 gig of Kingston Hyper X PC3200 DDR 400 in two 512 meg modules. #KHXpc3200a

Video: MSI Geforce Nvidia FX5900 128 meg brand new and fresh off the farm.
If I had built this thing 3 or 4 months ago I would have put in an ATI Radon. Nvidia hick upped for the first time about a year ago and I think just now got it back in gear.

Sound: Creative Audigy 2

CD Burner: Plextor Plexwriter Premium 52 x 32 x 52

Floppy: Samsung
Yeah I put in a floppy. I bet I used the floppy on my old comp maybe 6 or 7 times total in close to 6 years. But when you need one you really need one. I already used it to flash my MOBO Bios to a new update. Was a whole $7.00.

Hard Drives: Western Digital Raptors SATA 10,000 RPM's in a Raid 0 array through the Intel ICH5 R chipset. WOW! ;)
70 gigs basically right now! Will add another set of something as SATA drives come down in price. But 70 gigs is a whole lot more than I had.

Modem: US Robotics PCI voice modem.
Yeah I still have to have one for faxing and voice messages.

I moved my 100 meg zip drive from the old machine as well as my Pioneer slot loading DVD drive. I kept my 19 inch Dell 1226 H monitor as it works great and also my Altec Lansing ADA 995 surround speakers. Not the best speakers by todays standards but they still work well and sound really good to me with music and 3d sound games like.......Thief. If I had another 300 to spend it would be the Logitech 680's! Also kept my microsift keyboard and mouse. I spent all the money on the box itself.

Today I am moving my old 14.4 gig IBM Hard Drive over. Ultimately I will format it and use it for Drive Image Backups.

Misc: I have 7 case fans in this Thermaltake case plus the Northbridge fan and the CPU fan. Is a wind tunnel in there. I put in some UV sensitive fans with color LED's "Green, Blue, Orange", UV sensitive EIDE cables and floppy cable "Red, Green, and Blue" and also a 12 inch UV light in there with an external switch.

The case mods were sure not needed but they are cool looking and fun and didn't cost that much.

I spent a few months deciding what I wanted and reading every flipping review I could find online. I learned a lot and one thing is that there is no perfect hardware. Nothing got a ten out there except I think the audigy 2 sound card. There is for sure some bad hardware but other than that I found, as Leatherman and I talked about, it is like an Olympic Sprint in a lot of circumstances. The winners in a lot of reviews win by thousanths of a second. What that means is that the second, third, and fourth placers are right in there at the top.

So some of my choices came down to price and features and brand, and what I was going to use it for, etc. Ultimately I got what I wanted and am not dissappointed so far. I could have saved a few bucks on some things.

I actually could have used a whole different set of hardware in this thing and still have been satisfied. Thats the state of it, there is a lot of good stuff to choose from out there.

I bought online from NewEgg, AccuPC, XP Cases, and BuyExtremeGear.com. I surfed all over Pricewatch and Pricegrabber hoping to catch someone on a sale day. Man but prices change fast online. From day to day sometimes. NewEgg got most of the order and I rate them, Accupc, and XP cases right up at the 10 spot. BuyExtremeGear was certainly good too. They just took longer than the other three to get my order out the back door. NewEgg, Accupc, and XP cases flat drop kicked my order out the back door the sme day I ordered. I was impressed. Just FYI, I bought the case mods and UV cables from XP Cases.com

Was a fun ride and it is almost over. So whats the newest hot game out there? I wanna turn everything in this comp all the way up and see what happens. :D

Stile451
31st Aug 2003, 21:05
That's almost the same system I'm building now.

I saw the 680s on sale(Canadian store) and ordered them today.:D

Sneak
31st Aug 2003, 21:32
Salvage,
How much were they? Best price I have seen is at NewEgg for $290.00 including shipping. Thats a great price but it is still basically $300.00. I am done spending comp money for a little bit!

Stile451
31st Aug 2003, 21:42
Around $270 US, without shipping.

I've just started spending, I'll be done in about a month. :o

Peter_Smith
2nd Sep 2003, 05:48
Great sounding system, Sneak! Isn't this the first one you have built? Well, you went all the way. My 1.2 GHz Athlon will clunk along until T3 comes out. I'll probably get a rig similar to yours then....

Sneak
3rd Sep 2003, 17:09
Yeah Peter,
This is the first one I have built. I have done about everything else except start from scratch with a new Mobo. I looked in my comp case one day and realized that I knew what all that stuff was. SO I started researching things and pricing other systems from like Dell, Alien, ect.

I found that by building that not only could I get exactly what I wanted but I could build it much cheaper than I could buy it.

I don't think that was the case a few years back. I believe it used to cost more. But with online stores selliing comp hardware especially OEM versions which I bought, I built it cheaper than I could buy it. And I had a big choice of which hardware too.

By my best estimation from pricing similar system configurations to what I built, I saved around $600.00.

Sure I could have bought or even built for less. But I wouldn't have what I have. There were some headaches in the deal but all in all was worthwhile.

Gee, Putting in all the hardware and cables etc was a breeze. The pain in the rear part was loading all the software and drivers and getting everything configured to work right. I had fits getting my printer software and drivers loaded. Took hours even with the new drivers for XP. Turned out there was some service in XP that was off that would not let the drivers load. Have no idea which one so I turned them ALL on and it worked. Then I had to reconfigure the services in XP again.

Huntress
6th Sep 2003, 00:25
Ha, ha, ha..guess i bit too but now that you've revealed all, your forgiven! LOL WOW is right...what a system you've done yourself for real Sneak!!! Gads...that's just about got to be one of those there Dream machines that PCGamer would have in it's hardware review section :D and those are usually in the over $3,000 catagory!!! Who wouldn't be anxious to put the latest and greatest in ASAP to see how it sings! Wish I could have something like that too but far beyond my means in any form :( But who knows by next year what it will bring? My system should perform OK but surely won't be pumping it all out like yours or other similiar rigs...Oh well, heh Have fun and Good Hunting!

LeatherMan
6th Sep 2003, 03:45
Originally posted by Sneak
I found that by building that not only could I get exactly what I wanted but I could build it much cheaper than I could buy it.Too true, as long as you know where to buy the parts. I have purchased many items from Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/) over the last couple of years to build my comps and have always gotten great delivery times and prices. After recently RMA'ing a bad stick of RAM, I can also praise their RMA service. :)

Despite the savings available online, there are some items that it is simply best to buy from a local retail outlet. DOA monitors are much easier to replace this way. ;)

I don't think that was the case a few years back. I believe it used to cost more. But with online stores selliing comp hardware especially OEM versions which I bought, I built it cheaper than I could buy it. And I had a big choice of which hardware too.A couple of things to watch out for when buying OEM hardware: 1) The warranty is generally shorter (and sometimes much shorter) and 2) GPU and RAM speeds on video cards are often lower than their retail counterparts.

By my best estimation from pricing similar system configurations to what I built, I saved around $600.00.

Sure I could have bought or even built for less. But I wouldn't have what I have. There were some headaches in the deal but all in all was worthwhile. There is a lot of pride in both saving that money and building the exact comp you want yourself. :cool:

Gee, Putting in all the hardware and cables etc was a breeze. The pain in the rear part was loading all the software and drivers and getting everything configured to work right.That is almost always the worst part and can often give you the impression that you have DOA hardware when you don't. :mad:

So, now that everything is up and running, where are the links to your 3DMark scores? ;)

Sneak
6th Sep 2003, 16:52
Well LM,
I haven't done any 3D marks yet. I guess I ought to DL Sisandra and 3Dmarks to see what I get.

Actually everything is not all configured and installed yet. Still have some misc stuff like ICQ, etc to get up. And moving stuff over from the old drive. Am mostly doing it as I need it. I spent hours in front of this thing already moving things around.

Can't get Drive Image 7 to make an image of the drive for a Restore type of Image back to go back to like new shape. No idea what is wrong, it simply stops and I get an error code. May have to call em up.

On the OEM thing, you are right. I bought my hard drives, Sound card, and XP as OEM's. Everything else came retail and was not even available as OEM. The stuff I bought OEM just meant that it was not in a fancy retail box and you don't get all the cables, manual, games, and stuff that they toss in retail boxes. I checked first. On the drives all I got was a drive, nothing else but nothing else was needed. On the Audigy 2 sound card I got the sound card and the CD with drivers and applications. Thats all I needed.

I shyed away from House Brand anything out there. No telling what you are getting with that stuff. Everything had a Brand name I could be fairly sure off.

But ha, UT 2003 will not load. One flipping texture file is bad. I had trouble getting it to load on my old comp too. Want that thing up because I want to see what it looks like with everything turned on, ought to be something.

Thief Gold and Two are up for sure though. :)

Thievery soon, prob tomorrow. Maybe I can Blackjack harder with this new Rig,

Thorin Oakenshield
8th Sep 2003, 23:06
Looks like a mechanist contraption to me:D