PDA

View Full Version : A Warning about Visioneer products

BrokenArts
8th Aug 2003, 14:17
I want to post this here, not so much a techy question, but, a rant.

When I bought my new system last year, it came with a freebie Visioneer 5800 series scanner. It worked up until lately, gee go figure warranty was about to expire too. It would scan my color pictures *green* OK fine, contact the company, they send me a mile long email of what to do, basically uninstalling reinstalling, things I had already tried. If all else fails, contact us again, we will issue you a replacement. #RMA for short. I tried calling their customer support line, lets go round and round the menu, *Please hold since our menu options have changed* You wait, and wait, and wait. Nothing. You can never get a live body to talk to. Or just call their 1-900, and pay $2.00 a minute. I don't think so.

But, we have to be anal and demand that you do it this specific way, mmKay. Or we won't play nice. So I did, followed their directions to the *T*

A few weeks later, I got my scanner, hey kick arse! *That quickly fades* Again, following all directions, you need to unlock your scanner, which is located on the bottom of the scanner, sounds easy enough. Wait, its not working. Come to findout there is no physical lock on the scanner. Install new drivers, do this, do that. Pfft.

This is a default error code when a scanner is unable to calibrate. The default response by the driver is to ensure the scanning head is not physically locked in place. Do NOT open the scanner to locate the lock, as this error message may be triggered by hardware or software and there is no physical switch to 'unlock' the 5800 or 5820 scanners.

Basically BS, in talking with LM one night, he found some more info, I am not the only one having problems with this. One guy took off the cover, and moved the scanner bar, get it past a certain point. That worked for him. Ohh and take your *BFH* to it too. Tried that. Nothing. :confused: :mad: So short of picking up the damn thing and getting a real satisfaction of smashing it on the ground, which I will try the beat the sheeit out of it, see if that helps. :p It would probably work if I can get past this point. Feeling ripped off, and now I am scanner less.

I sent them a nasty email, others have too. No response from the company, I will try one more time with this. Lack of customer service, and all this, stir clear of Visioneer taffers, not worth the trouble.

bravus
8th Aug 2003, 16:02
I think you need to see the very wonderful movie 'Office Space', and enjoy the wonderful catharsis that comes with gleefully smashing electronic equipment! That may be enough to hold you a little longer, or it may inspire you to emulate their example immediately.

Sorry to hear about all the hassle: it's frustrating to get ripped off, but 'what time is it when the elephant sits on the scanner?'

Bravus

littlek
8th Aug 2003, 16:23
Well you tell one you tell 40 so the word is out.....Don't buy Visioneer products. Let's name a guard "Visioneer" in Thievery. :D

bravus
8th Aug 2003, 16:54
Heh, what's the bet that guard would gets *lots* of blackjack and sword action from BA. ;)

Bravus

BrokenArts
8th Aug 2003, 17:21
Hehehehehe, you guys know how to cheer me up, regardless of the sheeit I have been through with that scanner, I have pretty much written it off. All the rigamaroll I went through, I wanted to share the BS, and warn you all. In this day and age, and customer service at an all time low with some companies, then other companies stress their customer service. *sigh* B*llsheit.
All the steps I followed, what little good it did.

Anyway, Bravus, yes you bet, I'd give that guard a new arsehole. ;) http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/otn/violent/Dippie.gif

Actually, Visioneer is the Thief, I shall be the guard and beat the ever living sheit out of him with my mace, very effective.http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/scorchio/saevilw.gif

And I will look for that movie, sounds like a good one, and *do* follow their example to the *T*. I always have to fix things, this will give me GREAT SATISFACTION INDEEDY.

Gumdrop
8th Aug 2003, 18:22
Originally posted by BrokenArts
...not so much a techy question, but, a rant.Yikes...already indulged in my rant limit for today so I'll be moving along if you don't mind. :D

Bonus point awarded for puncturing a new orifice in that guy with a fish though!

"Hold tight, hold tight, hold tight-hold tight Fuji Nagasaki..." :confused:

Ruthless
8th Aug 2003, 22:38
Well that stinks. I've been looking forward to seeing your pics of our fun together. Oh well, have to settle for snail mail I guess.
Some companies just don't get it do they? :mad:

BrokenArts
8th Aug 2003, 22:49
No they don't Ruthless, and I am a stickler for customer service, I have to give my customers the best, I try to at least.
When they pull this!! Pfft.
WTF?? Not fair.

Thorin Oakenshield
9th Aug 2003, 21:59
I'm getting scanner probs too. Mine is a Trust 19,200dpi model. If I scan at 100 or 200 dpi no problem... But if I scan at anything higher I get a nice black picture... And I have to wait quite some time at a high dpi.

I mean If I want a black picture I could just open psp and create one in seconds:rolleyes:

In it's defence it works ok within win 98se, just not XP (with latest drivers)

BrokenArts
10th Aug 2003, 00:53
OK, I have come to the conculsion, scanners are pieces of sheit. :rolleyes: :confused:

Xcom
10th Aug 2003, 00:58
I have a HP scanner. Never had any problems.

SlyFoxx
10th Aug 2003, 11:34
My wife bought a HP. It works fine. :)

BrokenArts
10th Aug 2003, 14:20
Well, it must be HP that is calling to me lately, have been looking at scanners, and I keep gravitating towards the HP's. Probably go with HP.

Ohhhh, did I tell you, I finally did the dirty deed. It all started so innocently enough, something came over me. I looked at it up and down, deciding how I want to do this. Finally picking up the scanner, arms in the air, hands clentched as I grip the piece of sheit, and *SMASH*!!! as it makes contact with the ground, never had so much fun. Man that was good for me. :p :D*\o/*

Xcom
10th Aug 2003, 15:19
Maybe it has something to do with your screen name! http://home.planet.nl/~xcom/forum/sm/weird.gif :p

Anyway, BA, check google for scanner tests and whatnot. HP's are maybe good but they, too, come in different shapes/versions.

PCWorlds Top10 (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,109707,00.asp)

BrokenArts
10th Aug 2003, 15:43
Hmmm, I doubt that Xcom. Is that scanner a piece of art? Ha. I fix a broken heart, when there is a broken piece of art. :p Since I am not the only one with this particular problem. It is a piece of sheit, and what do I expect for free anyway.

HP here I come.

LeatherMan
10th Aug 2003, 16:02
Ohhhh, did I tell you, I finally did the dirty deed. It all started so innocently enough, something came over me. I looked at it up and down, deciding how I want to do this. Finally picking up the scanner, arms in the air, hands clentched as I grip the piece of sheit, and *SMASH*!!! as it makes contact with the ground, never had so much fun. Man that was good for me. :p :D*\o/* Have you tested it to see if it works now? :p

BrokenArts
10th Aug 2003, 16:12
Damnit LM, cut that out, you read my mind *again*. ;) I'll get back with you on that. :p

Sneak
10th Aug 2003, 16:25
I wish we had a video of you smashing, maiming, and mutilating your scanner. And don't forget to drive your truck over it as well, several times. And then you can pour gasoline on it and strike a match............................................!

But I am with LM also, does it work now? :p

My scanner is an HP Office Jet Multipurpose machine. It is getting old but still works. The only big quirk it has is when it wants to pull 15 pieces of paper through at one time. Nothing like yours.

Hope ya find something that works well. I know Zero about current scanners.

Oh, and I am also for naming a guard "Visioneer" in Thievery also.

Alpacalips Cow
10th Aug 2003, 17:14
Thanks for the heads up BA. I have a Mustek 1200 cp I got for 60 bucks at Wallyworld a couple of years ago and it still works great (FLW) so allow me to rub it in with brillo. High res no problem just so long as you don't mind eating up your megs.

Isn't visioneer a branch of Disney?

clayman
10th Aug 2003, 18:04
I'm usually slow on the uptake, but I'm picking up on a common thought here : " Visioneer = sheeit". :D

5 times the S word was uttered in this tread so far, a quintuple Sheeitsky, which is much easier to do than a triple Axel, but much more fun. ;)

I too have seen Office Space; it was with great joy that I smashed a misbehaving DVD player not three weeks ago. A rapturous feeling that almost made me pee myself with joy. I failed to destroy it outside though, so I spent 30 minutes picking up and vacuuming for debris that could cut little boys' toesies. Plus another 10 explaining to my wife why a 40 year old would throw a temper tantrum. :)

Xcom
10th Aug 2003, 19:02
New scanner - 150$
Tech support calls - 20$
Aspirin - 2.50$

Smashing scanner on the ground, dancing on it and vacuuming the remains - PRICELESS!

Some things are priceless. :D

BrokenArts
10th Aug 2003, 20:12
LMAO.....hahah. ahhhhhhhhhhh this thread has turned into something hilarious, despite the sheit! Oh Clayman that's #6. You counted too, I'm impressed, I know, I shall watch my potty mouth from now on. Damnit. :p

Xcom. You captured that right, too bad my scanner couldn't.

LM & Sneak. Unfortunitely, no dice, and no device. Not working properly. http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/Bizkit/peoples.gif

Ohhh now Alpacalips, I guess I had my cow already. :D A branch of Disney you say? Well, it is acting goofy now isn't it. http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/blackeye/evil_laughter.gif

Someone want to volunteer in Thievery, and be known as Visioneer for me, I'll be gentle.http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/FIREdevil.gif

Thorin Oakenshield
10th Aug 2003, 21:14
I must admit there is something good about smashing hardware that Pee's you off.
I had a hard drive which was there one minute but not the next:rolleyes:

I must have dropped it from a great height just to see how hard it was:D Stress flowed from my body like a stream. So if any of you have hardware that you don't mind being smashed send it to me;)
I might even video it while in the dismantling stage and put it on my website:D

yubetcha
11th Aug 2003, 12:43
Originally posted by Alpacalips Cow

Isn't visioneer a branch of Disney?

This reminded me of a joke with a different company, but when this joke is told, the name can be changed easily:

A wealthy man, his wife and his 7 year old son went to Disneyland. They rode rides, and saw Goofy, Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse. The Mickey Mouse costume really impressed the son a lot. He told his dad that he wanted a Mickey Mouse outfit. So his dad bought Visioneer.

Taffer_Boy_Elvis
12th Aug 2003, 03:50
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
I must admit there is something good about smashing hardware that Pee's you off.
I had a hard drive which was there one minute but not the next

I must have dropped it from a great height just to see how hard it was Stress flowed from my body like a stream. So if any of you have hardware that you don't mind being smashed send it to me
I might even video it while in the dismantling stage and put it on my website
You needed to Defraggle your hard drive.
Click here for instructions. (http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_frag1.php)

BrokenArts
12th Aug 2003, 10:35
Thats another thing I did here recently as well, a defrag, nope, no go for me.

LeatherMan
12th Aug 2003, 12:40
Originally posted by Taffer_Boy_Elvis
Click here for instructions. (http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_frag1.php) Now that is funny. :D

Thats another thing I did here recently as well, a defrag, nope, no go for me. BA, double-check the link. I doubt you Defraggled your hard drive. ;)

yubetcha
12th Aug 2003, 15:05
Originally posted by Taffer_Boy_Elvis
Click here for instructions. (http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_frag1.php)

Be warned! I tried this defraggle. Now the guards in Wedding of Sir Andre are speaking Klingon.

BrokenArts
12th Aug 2003, 15:27
Originally posted by LeatherMan
Now that is funny. :D

BA, double-check the link. I doubt you Defraggled your hard drive. ;)

Now, I said *Defrag* didn't I.

littlek
12th Aug 2003, 17:33
Someone want to volunteer in Thievery, and be known as Visioneer for me, I'll be gentle.http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/FIREdevil.gif

I'll do it! I'll be easy to smash up too.

LOL Yubetcha. I watch so much Star Trek that I might be able to translate!