PDA

View Full Version : Augmentations

gareis
7th Aug 2003, 23:50
I have been looking at the newest screenshots of DX:IW. They include the HUD (which I dislike; please, leave a "classic" look option!), which features two main parts: objects and augs.

One aug seems to be the standard light from DX1. (This is from the hostage shot.) Then there's speed, microfibral muscle, and something that looks like a picture of a robot. Might that be the black market mod to take over a bot? (Coulda used that in DX1 to move the stupid repair bot away from the crates I used to get at the power supply in Area 51: Bunker.)

In the next shot, that of a slender person (woman?) in body armor pointing a gun at Alex Denton, there are some new ones. From the top, there is a skull with wires connecting it to a circle. Next is a three-triangles "radioactive" symbol; this must be the toxic resistance aug. Then there's a microwave dish (communication of some sort?), a head with wires connecting inside of it (targeting? see below), and what looks like a female sign (no, not sniffing and turning her head haughtily; a circle with a plus sign below it; no ideas). Last is the light augmentation.

In the picture of Alex targeting a hovering enemy bot, there is another aug, looking like an eye with rockets and wires. This must be the spy drone aug.

There is another image of Denton faced with a greasy green greasel. There are no new augs introduced, but one is active--the head with wires inside. The image is shaded except for the greasel's area, which makes me think that the aug goes in the ocular slot. It's in the right place on the HUD for that--right by the speed aug.

The last new aug is in the image of the exploding karkian. It looks like a lobed flask pointing down. Perhaps that's the black market leech aug.

Any ideas? Official information?

~gareis

Picasso
8th Aug 2003, 01:47
One aug seems to be the standard light from DX1. (This is from the hostage shot.)

Are you referring to this shot (http://www.deusex.com/screens/pc/fullsize/DXIW07.jpg)? That light is actually the pistol's alt-fire mode. You can tell when alt-fire is enabled because the red brackets appear around the ammo display. This is not to say that the lowermost aug isn't also a light, it certainly could be (it's the only one that all characters have) but either way it's not activated.

Then there's speed,

Previews have mentioned a Quickness aug which slows down time around you, which was shown at E3. That aug could be Speed, Quickness, or maybe something else entirely.

microfibral muscle, and something that looks like a picture of a robot. Might that be the black market mod to take over a bot?

Those are definitely the muscle and bot domination augs, respectively. In E3 videos you can see Alex use the first to throw things really hard and the second to take over a bot.

From the top, there is a skull with wires connecting it to a circle.

That's this pic (http://www.deusex.com/screens/pc/fullsize/DXIW08.jpg). That is the skull gun. It's known that the Skull Gun, Spy Drone and the Vision aug all occupy the eye slot, which is the uppermost.

The lower ones are unknown, but notice how the scene is dark even though the lowermost aug is on (or is it just selected?).

There are no new augs introduced, but one is active--the head with wires inside. The image is shaded except for the greasel's area, which makes me think that the aug goes in the ocular slot.

This shot (http://www.deusex.com/screens/pc/fullsize/DXIW12.jpg). Like I mentioned above, that light is from the pistol. I don't know what the activated aug is, but it's not in the eye slot. At first I thought that it was what created the health bars for NPC's on your HUD, but there's a point in one of the videos where you can see the health bars, but the aug isn't even installed. So I don't know what that is.

The last new aug is in the image of the exploding karkian. It looks like a lobed flask pointing down. Perhaps that's the black market leech aug.

That's the only installed aug, which signifies that it's the default available to all characters, but I don't know exactly what it does, or why it's not as blurry as it is in other screenshots.

Edit: Fixed something.

gareis
8th Aug 2003, 02:36
Originally posted by Picasso
That's this pic (http://www.deusex.com/screens/pc/fullsize/DXIW08.jpg). That is the skull gun. It's known that the Skull Gun, Spy Drone and the Vision aug all occupy the eye slot, which is the uppermost.

The lower ones are unknown, but notice how the scene is dark even though the lowermost aug is on (or is it just selected?).

I rather think it's selected. In some of the screenshots, there's a circle at the corner of each aug icon. When it's lit, the aug is active. However, I have no idea why or how you could select one without activating it.

Strange...only half or fewer of the screenshots feature the on/off light. Different display options?

~gareis

Picasso
8th Aug 2003, 02:50
In some of the screenshots, there's a circle at the corner of each aug icon.

This is one of the differences between the Xbox and PC versions of the game. The Xbox has those little circles in the aug icons, and the PC doesn't. Also take a look at the numbers next to the item belt. The Xbox version has large numbers (for viewing on a fuzzier, lower resolution television from farther away) while the PC has small numbers.

They're all put in the "PC" section of the site simply because they needed a place to dump their new screenshots. The "Xbox" section holds all the older (HUDless) screenshots. This is just lazy site design, though, and will probably be fixed by the time their big advertising push starts.

I know that sounds a little odd, but if you look elsewhere on the web you can find the PC version screenshots in all their high-res glory (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/xbox/desuex/0506/deus_screen001.jpg), while the Xbox shots are forever stuck in 640x480 (http://www.deusex.com/screens/pc/fullsize/DXIW11.jpg).

Now that you mention it, the PC version has fully customizable hotkeys, so there's no need to "select" a biomod, you just hit the button for it. I think the biomod is active in that shot. This would also correspond with the item belt; similar brackets are around whatever weapon is active.

That went on longer than I meant it to, but there you go.

DarkForge
8th Aug 2003, 10:01
Originally posted by Picasso
That is the skull gun. It's known that the Skull Gun, Spy Drone and the Vision aug all occupy the eye slot, which is the uppermost.

A skull-gun? Excellent! Gunther e-mailed Manderley about that in DX1. It would be cool to see that it was actually created for IW. :)