PDA

View Full Version : To Chris about the Defiance Trailer



Sayel
4th Aug 2003, 09:07
Hi Chris,

I wanted to ask you if I get your permission to post a link to the Defiance Trailer.

The Reason why I ask you is, because I have changed it slightly, only the music, no alteration of the motion picture.

Since I have changed the original one, property of CD/Eidos, I assume that I need the permission first. I don't want to break any rules.

If anyone else is confident with the legal position here, I'd be glad for an answer

Umah Bloodomen
5th Aug 2003, 01:23
You are permitted to post Eidos/CD-owned intellectual property in their forums. In this instance, the changes you made constitute as a derivative work of the original piece. Derivative works would include the adding of new elements to a past work. Assuming that you've added an actual piece of music (not your intellectual property) and then decided to offer it for your own personal profit, then you'd be infringing on the copyright of those who own the music. There is a fine-line by today's standards though, with all the file-sharing hoopla, you are subjecting yourself to infringing on rights by offering music that would normally have to be paid for (either by compact disc or concert ticket purchase - again, this only applies if you're using a song that you didn't write/compose). Seeing that you obviously have no foul intent, I don't think that you'd come across any legal issues from this (in this specific instance), however I do suggest that you be aware of that in the future.

Sayel
5th Aug 2003, 14:53
Thanks for your help. It's good to know that I can post the link without being banned.

I want to tell you all once again that this is the same trailer as the latest, this is no new trailer.
I still recommend you to download it, because it's more epic than before :)

It is in AVI Format, size about 5MB.

You need the DivX 5 codec to view it.

Here (http://www.bluesiana.net/Trailer/Defiance.avi) you can download the trailer.

Matt from Spam Buddies
5th Aug 2003, 15:23
Hey, a very nice choice. :)

It does give it a more epic feel.

Well done.

- Matthew

Shadow Man
5th Aug 2003, 19:49
That was excelent. No offence to the producers of the trailer, but that was so much better than the original. The only thing thats wrong with it is that the timing seems to be a bit off, only a second or too ahead on some of the major pictures, eg. raziel jumping in, attack, but then I'm watching it on windows media player 7, so that could be the reason. But again excelent trailer. Sorry if I sound way too picky. Excelent trailer. I think I love it .

NoobSaibot
5th Aug 2003, 20:07
I am only getting the sound from your posted file. Did you put it to video or am I just not getting all of it.

Shadow Man
5th Aug 2003, 20:35
Same thing happened me when I downloaded the original. I'm downloading a codec for it now, as we speak. Try viewing it while connected to the internet. Just worked for me when I tried it now.

Sayel
5th Aug 2003, 20:46
@NoobSaibot: You probably have not installed the DivX 5 Codec. You can get it at www.divx.com

@Shadow Man: No it should be that way, I already thought about that scene where Raziel jumps in, but then again there are other scenes where the music fits, like after you see "One shared legacy" where those 2 winged creature appear behind Raziel, or some seconds after that, where Kain plunges the Reaver into one soldier that powerful sound begins to play again.
I didn't changed much of the music, only at the beginning the rest of it is completely untouched.
Coincidence made it fit so perfectly, as if it was meant to be used in that trailer, spooky isn't it :eek: :)

It was my first try to do something like that.
I intend to make a fan trailer of Defiance once it has been released

ReaverImpalerX8
6th Aug 2003, 08:02
I love wat You've done with the trailer , Sayel. Nice song
:D

Zephonim
6th Aug 2003, 10:30
That was fantabulistic (especially the part where Kain pigstix an enemy) and if you are gonna do a fan one of Defiance i would most like to see it.

p.s any chance of an sr1 or sr2 demo made by your musical fingers:D

Shadow Man
6th Aug 2003, 17:30
Originally posted by Sayel
@NoobSaibot: You probably have not installed the DivX 5 Codec. You can get it at www.divx.com

@Shadow Man: No it should be that way, I already thought about that scene where Raziel jumps in, but then again there are other scenes where the music fits, like after you see "One shared legacy" where those 2 winged creature appear behind Raziel, or some seconds after that, where Kain plunges the Reaver into one soldier that powerful sound begins to play again.
I didn't changed much of the music, only at the beginning the rest of it is completely untouched.
Coincidence made it fit so perfectly, as if it was meant to be used in that trailer, spooky isn't it :eek: :)

It was my first try to do something like that.
I intend to make a fan trailer of Defiance once it has been released

I just thought you made the music yourself because the start fits so perfectly, and bits like when Kain impales people. But then theres bits like when Raziel shifts, or when Raziel cast his last swing, the music seems to be just a half second off.

Another reason why I thought you did it was because of the things that were a bit off, it just made you seem more human, like it was really done by a fan and not someone employed to do it. How did you come up with that song?

Sayel
6th Aug 2003, 20:54
By accident. I watched the original trailer, but I forgot to stop Winamp, which was playing that music. I noticed this music fits perfectly to the fighting scenes, I just had to combine them.

I know at the end of the trailer it seems as if the music lags when Raziel swings the reaver. It could be, because I took less reference points for the music than I should have, or the wrong ones. Guess I still need some practice ;)

Quicksilver
6th Aug 2003, 21:26
I get the video fine, but the sound is extremely fragmented :( I can barely make it out - do I need a plugin or something?

(sorry if that sounded somewhat peeved :D)

Matt
7th Aug 2003, 00:37
Very nice, very nice indeed. What was the music you used? I always found songs like that (that have the Latin vocals in them, like Liberi Fatali - the opening to Final Fantasy 8) to be especially appealing.

Great job! :D


Matt

Omega
7th Aug 2003, 01:08
Originally posted by Matt
Very nice, very nice indeed. What was the music you used? I always found songs like that (that have the Latin vocals in them, like Liberi Fatali - the opening to Final Fantasy 8) to be especially appealing.

Great job! :D


Matt

I love that song!!!

Chaotix
7th Aug 2003, 05:51
Im impressed. The music is so perfect. Each "boom" sound in the music is right in time with a big stab or something really cool.

Shadow Man
7th Aug 2003, 10:31
Originally posted by Sayel
By accident. I watched the original trailer, but I forgot to stop Winamp, which was playing that music. I noticed this music fits perfectly to the fighting scenes, I just had to combine them.

I know at the end of the trailer it seems as if the music lags when Raziel swings the reaver. It could be, because I took less reference points for the music than I should have, or the wrong ones. Guess I still need some practice ;)
An accident. I read that and my jaw dropped to the ground. It seems imossible that a song so fitted to that clip, would just fall into your lap.

Sayel
7th Aug 2003, 11:23
Believe me, it took me some time as well to grasp it :)

the actual music is a bit longer about 1min40sec, but I just cut out only one part and mixed this transition with a soundeffect. This is the only thing I've done.

After I have watched the finished trailer the first time I only wondered and asked myself how this could be possible.

Well, some things are just made to be together :)

Quicksilver
7th Aug 2003, 14:18
This is NOT helping :D

Esoteric
7th Aug 2003, 15:46
Quicksilver: Since no one else is helping you... *peers about and frowns* Do you have the latest version of DivX? If not, you can download it at thier official site: http://www.divx.com/

Also, make sure that your version of Windows Media Player (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp) is up to date. I am using version 7.01 (because version 7.01 is better for Win 98 SE than the 9 series) and it seems to play fine. Also... the DivX Player will often play files when Windows Media Player won't... or so I find, anyway.

Quicksilver
7th Aug 2003, 16:33
Bah, still doesn't work :( Windows media player can't read it (it's a .avi file, whatever that may be) and I downloaded DivX but can't find an actual player. :D Looks like I've finally been found out as technologically retarded. Shame.

But still, thanks muchly for trying to help.

Sayel
7th Aug 2003, 16:40
If you downloaded the latest DivX Codec there is also an extra DivX Player included.

Quicksilver
7th Aug 2003, 16:50
Not that I can find. Maybe it's because I have a Mac. Which is about to get punched for not co-operating.

Zephonim
7th Aug 2003, 18:03
Originally posted by Quicksilver
Not that I can find. Maybe it's because I have a Mac. Which is about to get punched for not co-operating.

Ive never used or seen a Mac in operation(i was a ttotal pc virgin until about a year ago)do you have msn if you do(i didnt think it was possible but you've got media player)if yes gimme a pm and i'll send it to you throo msn or,and i dont wanna sound patronising but,ok you downloaded divx but have you installed it yet?(thats a trap i used to fall for ,thinking if it was downloaded thats it installed but it aint as you probably know) dunno if i can be any help but i'll try and u could go to www.quicktime.com that plays avi files

KainPainter
8th Aug 2003, 19:03
Hey Sayel,

Well done! I love listening to soundtracks when I paint/draw/make life hard for designers. Its uncanny how well that one fits. :)

Keep up the cool work!

Daniel

Omega
8th Aug 2003, 22:36
Great trailer :D

What is the music called? It sounds so familar...

jsnmcdrmd
10th Aug 2003, 00:05
That was musical genius.
That made me think of the type of quality of that of the Lord of Rings. Next time you have to remember to add the sound effects.

Cheers,
Jsn.:eek:

Defier
10th Aug 2003, 00:17
can i get that music.....:D :) its kewl