PDA

View Full Version : Do you HAVE to kill JC?

Coldie
4th Aug 2003, 02:47
I remember reading that the developers said in an interview that you run up against JC at some point in the game and that he's pretty formidable. I just wanted to know if anyone had any more information on this piece of the game. I swear, I will cry if I have to kill JC to progress the storyline:(

Picasso
4th Aug 2003, 02:57
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/deusexinvisiblewar/preview_2870152-2.html

GS: So, even if we won't be able to play as J.C. Denton or his brother, Paul, can you discuss what sort of part they'll play in DX2? Can you name some of the other characters from Deus Ex who will return? What will their roles be?

HS: Both play significant roles. J.C. will end up as a mentor or as an adversary, depending on how you play. Tracer Tong is back to lecture you some more. And you get to see Nicolette DuClare, all grown up.

Emphasis mine.

Between this and all the talk about nonlinearity and how you can go through the game without ever touching a weapon, I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Relax. They know what they're doing.

Coldie
4th Aug 2003, 03:03
Thank you so much. That quelled a lot of fears:D

Erm, I guess this can be closed now...

Leo
4th Aug 2003, 06:23
I hope they don't make JC immortal because I would love to save the game and try to kill JC, just to know what he can do after all the fighting in DX1

Coldie
4th Aug 2003, 07:42
It would be très cool if they searched your HD for DE1 save files and looked at what augs you had and change the augs JC has in DE2 accordingly.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
4th Aug 2003, 08:12
I hope after all these years, he has been able to upgrade ALL his skills and augs!

Trollslayer
4th Aug 2003, 14:00
I don't know... I think JC might just have enhanced strength and reflexes and prolly not much in the way of augmentations/biomods. I doubt he has them because 1) the fight will have to be dynamic, and i can't see JC standing there and use something akin to the Spy Drone or somesuch, so it's likely he'll just hop around like mad and have improved aiming, and 2) usually a character we play with, but then confront in sequels, is nowhere near his power when we face him. Example: Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen. I got Kain with maximum Blood Vials, Magic Glyphs, killed hundreds upon hundreds, unlocked all secrets and had a Devourer of Worlds rating... when i confront him in Soul Reaver, he takes 3 hits :rolleyes:

Heresy i tell you!!! We should be given a choice to use our past save games to determine the power of characters we used to control, but now face! This should be interesting, having DX:IW read our DX1 saves and reconstruct JC has he was when we controlled him.

But this is obviously wishful thinking.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
4th Aug 2003, 14:54
IT would be too easy for those who haven't played DX1 (there are a few) : NO JC AT ALL!!!

or too hard, if you consider by default a complete Aug-ed and skill-ed JC

(I would prefer the second version, I mean, people who didn't play DX1 deserve to have a harder DX:IW)

Trollslayer
4th Aug 2003, 16:32
Well you're right :) But it also could be made that there was a default JC. On one hand an option to load a DX1 save, but if players did not had one, then they'd have to contend with a default, harder JC. :)

cball05
4th Aug 2003, 18:50
I don't think the savegame idea would work out, because there are many issues with it:
I played the game twice - which JC would it use?
What if you never installed any augs or upgraded skills- would JC be whimpy?
What if you installed DX1 in a different folder?

Not that it wouldn't be cool, but I'm assuming there will just be a "default" JC.

Leo
4th Aug 2003, 19:11
I bet JC will be an easy one, no challenge at all.
More than what augs or skills JC will have in the sequel interest me his tactics: will he use stealthy approach or strike with guns blazing. Think about it, beating JC at his own secure fotress .. ha ha, so much for the great JC

Trollslayer
5th Aug 2003, 00:43
Quick comment:

Originally posted by cball05
I don't think the savegame idea would work out, because there are many issues with it:
I played the game twice - which JC would it use?

I believe it could very well give you a propmt to search a file in a folder, like all programs out there do. It could simply ask you where the file was, then you'd mosey on down to the folder, it would show two save files, and you'd just select one.

What if you never installed any augs or upgraded skills- would JC be whimpy?

Thas a really good question :) I have no idea :eek: But... perhaps in converting the information from JC in the DX1 file, it could calculate unspent skill points and allocate them into a default configuration (like the best combat skills, or into the best stealth ones), or it could even install biomods to counter the ones you choose for Alex.

Not that it wouldn't be cool, but I'm assuming there will just be a "default" JC.

I'm assuming it could be possible. Anything is possible.

[NOTE: Corrected a typo]

cball05
5th Aug 2003, 13:37
Originally posted by Trollslayer
I'm assuming it could be possible. Anything is possible.

Well, not anything (suddenly sprouts wings and flies around the room upside-down).

But seriously, it looks like DX2 will hit a much bigger market than DX1, especially with console versions. Therefore, I don't know how much the developers would want to rely on DX1 savegames. However, if this was possible, it would also be a solution to the "what ending is the beginning" question.
If I was the devs, I might make having DX1 savegames somehow give you some "bonus" in DX2, rewarding fans for playing the first one. Again, all we have is wishful thinking...

Trollslayer
5th Aug 2003, 15:27
Originally posted by cball05
But seriously, it looks like DX2 will hit a much bigger market than DX1, especially with console versions. Therefore, I don't know how much the developers would want to rely on DX1 savegames.

It probably wouldn't. DX1 was released for PC and consoles, same as with DX:IW will be. The idea wouldn't hold because 1) different system (probably the same reason why Bioware did not allowed BG2 characters to be imported in Neverwinter Nights, because the game engine and ruleset were different), and 2) not many people keep their PC/Console saves of games.

Still its a good idea that isn't used very much (if at all). One thing is to import/export character files from game to game in the same series (BG, Eye of the Beholder, Arc the Lad, etc.), the other is to convert a player into an enemy/NPC.

However, if this was possible, it would also be a solution to the "what ending is the beginning" question.
If I was the devs, I might make having DX1 savegames somehow give you some "bonus" in DX2, rewarding fans for playing the first one. Again, all we have is wishful thinking...

Er... i believe the endings question was already answered. Isn't IoSt merging all the DX1 endings to make it so players don't think they chose the wrong ending, and because the 3 endings tied together actually help set the story to DX:IW?

Picasso
5th Aug 2003, 19:28
Isn't IoSt merging all the DX1 endings to make it so players don't think they chose the wrong ending, and because the 3 endings tied together actually help set the story to DX:IW?

This is correct.

Coldie
5th Aug 2003, 20:37
I thought they had to choose one of the endings and picked the join Illuminati one?

How could JC have brought down Area51, join with Helios, which would be destroyed, and join with the Illuminati after disobeying Everett's instructions?

Picasso
5th Aug 2003, 21:00
The DX2 team took elements from each of the endings. That's all that was said about it.

Edit: This was, by the way, taken from a PCGamer sidebar. I quote:

DX:IW producer Bill Money did let on that the story, set 15 years after the end of Deus Ex, would start from a point that's an amalgam of the three endings in the first game. "We didn't want anyone who [finished Deus Ex] to think that their choice was the wrong one." he told us, so a story mechanic has been contrived to fit all the possible scenarios. Very handy!

I have a scan of the article, it's about 250 Kb. If anyone wants a copy, email me. I don't have webspace to host it.

Trollslayer
5th Aug 2003, 21:06
Originally posted by Coldie
I thought they had to choose one of the endings and picked the join Illuminati one?

How could JC have brought down Area51, join with Helios, which would be destroyed, and join with the Illuminati after disobeying Everett's instructions?

Well, he could've joined with Helios first, then destroyed the global communications controls at Area 51, then with a weakened Illuminati, he coudl've took control. Since JC will have his own organization in DX:IW, i believe it can be the Illuminati.

Coldie
5th Aug 2003, 21:39
Ok, I see. The game will never truly tell you what happened. The places that you'll visit will exist as though JC had destroyed the communications network, or joined the Illuminati, or Joined with Helios. When you meet JC though, won't you be able to tell whether he joined with helios?

cball05
5th Aug 2003, 22:01
Originally posted by Trollslayer
Er... i believe the endings question was already answered.

Sorry..didn't realize that we knew that for sure. Still, I'm wondering how talented that "story mechanic" will be - Here's an idea:
The game starts in a dark age. When you talk to JC, he says that he brought down the system because it was no longer useful, leaving you unsure as to whether he brought it down immediately (Dark Age ending) or waited and then decided to destroy it (the other two). By keeping his responses ambiguous, they can hide the events of 15 years ago.