PDA

View Full Version : PC Controls

blincoln
3rd Aug 2003, 19:51
Here's an interesting - although still hypothetical - question:

If a version of Defiance is released for the PC, how would you like to control it?

I've got a dual-shock style gamepad that I use for all the console ports I play on mine, but there are a lot of different possibilities out there.

The_Hylden
3rd Aug 2003, 20:15
I liked the fact that BO1, SR, and SR2 all had an option for different control methods. SR2 especially since it had the most options. My Wingman Rumblepad had two analog sticks, but I found with SR2's control scheme, I only needed the gamepad. It might be different for Defiance, depending on how much the control changes. I would have to play the game really to see which method is best, but the keyboard and mouse options are the lesser of my preferences for the other games. They were meant to be controlled differently, so again, it depends on how this new game plays.

blincoln
3rd Aug 2003, 20:19
I left it multiple-selectable so control freaks could check all the boxes =P.

vampire of balance
3rd Aug 2003, 21:14
I enjoyed keyboard only control most. I have played BO1, SR1 and SR2 with only a keyboard. BO2 have a perfect mouse+keyboard control, but Defiance is more SoulReaver-ish and I think keyboard is my choice. Ofcourse there must be other control options

Kazael
4th Aug 2003, 00:55
In most games I play on my PC, I prefer keyboard + mouse control. However, I've never used any gamepads or joysticks with my PC so... I don't know, maybe I'd like those better. I do like the Playstation gamepads, after all.

ViperXtreme
4th Aug 2003, 05:15
since ive been a PC gamer for a long time, i would choose the keyboard setup since im comfortable with it. Keyboard+Mouse is only good(for me) if yer playin an FPS or 3rdPerson Max payne style.

Valzara
4th Aug 2003, 07:08
AS a PC gammer, I can even use the keyboard to play fighting game as well.:p Like Tekken, KOF...

Adrian Tepes
4th Aug 2003, 09:20
I would definitely use a dual shock PlayStation style control pad. I have never been a big fan of playing action oriented games on a pc with a keyboard, and just can't understand how, or why people do it.:p

KainSyndrome101
4th Aug 2003, 18:08
Yeah, me too. I find it damn near impossible to play FPS's with mouse/keyboard. Although you may be able to aim a little better than with a Dual Shock 2 or whatever, it's still quite a chore to get yourself into position to do something.

Plus, I think it's truly impossible to play adventure/fighting games like Soul Reaver with a mouse/keyboard (well, for me at least). With a regular controller, it's all right there in a comfortable setup right in your hands.

Xyline
4th Aug 2003, 21:41
I liked SR2's controls. I opted for the keyboard/mouse combo, but I did play SR1 with my trusty Sidewinder. Hopefully we'll be able to use whatever we want ;) .

heh, KainSyndrome101. I can't play a FPS without a keyboard and mouse. I have no idea how people can play a FPS on a console.

vampire of balance
4th Aug 2003, 22:36
Originally posted by Xyline

heh, KainSyndrome101. I can't play a FPS without a keyboard and mouse. I have no idea how people can play a FPS on a console.
Me too :)

Zephonim
4th Aug 2003, 23:02
To me it really depends on the type of game you are playing ,i would not play games like counter strike ,half life ,medal of honour etc without a mouse and keyboard,and games like LOK i prefer using a controller ,i just got sonic on an emulator and it is crap (to me anyway) without a controller .games require instinctand reflexes suited to the general player .I still havent got to grips with first person games on a keyboard so i'll be dammed if i try to play LOK without my handy PS2( the controller type and settings of the ps2 style to me are the best,why dya think sony did'nt change the shape from ps1 to ps2 ,because if somin aint broke dont fix it!!!)

Sekhmet
5th Aug 2003, 13:29
All what I need is only a keyboard. :D

Shadow Man
5th Aug 2003, 19:41
Originally posted by blincoln
I've got a dual-shock style gamepad that I use for all the console ports I play on mine, but there are a lot of different possibilities out there.

Where qould I be able to get one of those. It sounds good.

blincoln
5th Aug 2003, 20:23
I got mine at EB. It's an Interact AxisPad, and it was about $15.

Shadow Man
5th Aug 2003, 20:33
Thanks for the help, I'll try and get one of those.

Chaotix
7th Aug 2003, 00:59
I think a controller would be nice for this type of game, but seeing as I am too cheap (because I am very poor lol) to buy one I am voting for Keyboard + mouse. I think the mouse is smoother than the keyboard could be so thats why I use it.

Apocrypha Roxy
8th Aug 2003, 02:28
Seeing that before I ever had my PS2, all I played was PC games (SR2 among them, along with Alice, TR, Thief) and my method of playing can extend to both keyboard/mouse and controller.

However, I wouldn't play Defiance with a mouse/keyboard combination, because to actually use the mouse while fighting would be... harried while in the midst of a fight. Keyboard/Mouse controlls are best for games like Thief, where you actually have time to plan out your moves. Although with a mouse you can easily change camera view, I don't want to have to switch between changing the view and actually fighting. Alice was a bit hard to navigate at first, but once you get it, it's easy. You use both mouse and keyboard when playing. Perfect integration. And an awesome game, too... My hands may be adept at PC gaming, but I only have 2 hands, not 3. :D

Believe me when I say that pinkies will not fall out of my family's evolutionary progress - my hands may be small, but those little suckers can reach the Enter key for 'camera' like nobody's business! :p

Only Keyboard? Yes. Joystick? Mine is crap and doesn't work - never used it. Gamepad? If I did get one, I'd use it.

I'll get Defiance on PS2 first, then get on PC. I wonder if the intro screens are different like in SR2 - on ps2, you've just got Raziel, the three options (start, load, bonus) and Ariel's voice. On PC (and this is what I loved about it), you have the inside of William's chapel, and the camera rotates around, changing between Spectral and Material, while you hear Ariel's voice. I wish they'd do that for the PS2, after all, if you can fit bonus things on the disc, why not a pretty intro?

This game is gonna ROCK... :D

mrbtb
8th Aug 2003, 08:15
Which controller do you use B? I use the Microsoft Sidewinder at the moment although not having 4 trigger switches is a bit of a problem with SR1 so would welcome ideas at getting something much more similar to the PS2 if possible.:)

blincoln
8th Aug 2003, 08:45
I have an Interact AxisPad.

It doesn't seem to be made anymore, unfortunately, but there are three up on eBay for low prices right now:

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?satitle=axispad&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=

mrbtb
8th Aug 2003, 09:59
It looks good, but I am not sure they will ship to the UK. Does it have 4 triggers or just the 2?

JediMaster
8th Aug 2003, 15:51
I agree any type of control as long as the game will be aviable on PC

JediMaster
8th Aug 2003, 15:56
Where atre you guys?
Hope they will make a pc version because i don't posess a console and I wanna play thi game .I played all the other games and why not to play the last in the series?

tomb_raiding
8th Aug 2003, 18:32
I hope they continue the Series, but scince they're gonna be busy working on the TR series....

I think there should be two groups at Crystal Dynamics :o

blincoln
8th Aug 2003, 20:07
There are three groups at Crystal Dynamics.

The AxisPad has four shoulder buttons. It's just like a PS2 controller, except without the force feedback.

tomb_raiding
8th Aug 2003, 21:35
Originally posted by blincoln
There are three groups at Crystal Dynamics.

GREAT NEWS :)

Apoc_Elipse
8th Aug 2003, 23:21
I voted for the keyboard only.

I think that a keyboard only would't be a problem, in the other sr games there weren't any problems with the cameras when raz walked around. So I only used the camera rotation controls when I wanted to look around!

SR isn't a fps game so I don't need a mouse, and it is not like somekind of a flight simulation games to need a pad!

I understand that ppl who have consoles may prefer to play with a pad.

Have anyone played th demo of a game called bloodrayne (I think), it had a keyboard+mouse control system and it sucked!

But if CD makes all options available on the game I think everyone wold be happy!

TheElderGodofNosgoth
8th Aug 2003, 23:38
Me too. In all of the Legacy of Kain games, BO:LoK, LoK:SR, SR2, and BO2 i just used a key bord. If I was to get LoK:D on the PC (which I may do after I get it for the PS2) I would just use the key bord.

Apocrypha Roxy
9th Aug 2003, 02:51
Originally posted by Apoc_Elipse
Have anyone played th demo of a game called bloodrayne (I think), it had a keyboard+mouse control system and it sucked!

I have BloodRayne for PS2 - the controls are much easier. And it's fun. :)

tomb_raiding
9th Aug 2003, 20:57
Originally posted by Apoc_Elipse

I have the PC version of the Game and the controls were one of the best ever, I wish tomb Raider AOD's controls were like this :(

:)

Sarxis
11th Aug 2003, 02:38
I always use my gamepad on the PC version of the LoK games. Gravis. One shtick. :cool:

Matt
11th Aug 2003, 05:00
The Dual Shock 2 is easily the greatest controller I have ever used n_n;. Now, if only I could find an adapter to use it on the PC :eek:

Matt

Apocrypha Roxy
12th Aug 2003, 15:56
Originally posted by Sarxis
I always use my gamepad on the PC version of the LoK games. Gravis. One shtick. :cool:

I have a Gravis BlackHawk joystick. Never worked, is collecting dust on a shelf as we speak.

Stupid thing... :mad:

(I wish they'd put out a DualShock 2 for PC - it would make things SOOO much easier, and help breach the gap between console and PC gaming - BOTH WAYS.)

chris026058
14th Aug 2003, 10:06
I BELIEVE there are special adapters to let you use Dual Shock and every other console controllers(including N64 and PSX) on your PC. Lots of the emulation sites I go to have them advertised, so you should do a search on google and ebay for those.

Apocrypha Roxy
14th Aug 2003, 15:59
OOOOOooooooooooh...

Hey, something worthwhile to look up! Thanks!

mrbtb
21st Aug 2003, 10:59
I found a converter that works perfectly for me on Windows XP (with SP1). It just automatically detected it without me having to configure it at all. Its here:

http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=239

Now I can use my dual shock ps2 controller with my pc if it helps anyone.

:D

blincoln
21st Aug 2003, 16:35
It looks like Logitech is going to be releasing a Dual Shock 2-style controller as well:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=880707

son of Turel
29th Aug 2003, 12:11
I Preffer keyboard only, though some say these controls are frustrating. I have completed all the games with the keyboard, and find them satisfying though

Apocrypha Roxy
29th Aug 2003, 20:42
Hmm... replaying SR2 on PC, and I notice my hands and wrists straining (my left side, particularly) as I use the controls - more specifically during combat.

Add this to the fact that I play at 1AM. Wide awake.

I hadn't played in a while, but the combat on PC is a bit harder to execute than on PS2 - might be the use of analogue sticks, or my wrists aren't up to par like they used to be.

Hmph. :(

Umah Bloodomen
27th Dec 2003, 05:48
Originally posted by DJpick
It's funny. Even though all my posts were deleted due to events..... ummmm.... beyond my control, it still notified me that a reply had been posted on this thread :)

Your subscription to the thread was not affected. :)

SonneDieNacht
28th Dec 2003, 07:17
I voted for Dual-Analogue sticks, but I don't use the rumble/vibration, and it's not a PS2 style controller. The rumble/vibration feature reminds me of other (unmentionable) things in the dark that scare me. LoL

(It's an InterAct Hammerhead FX #SV-262)

Sotos
28th Dec 2003, 16:48
I prefer the keyboard -mouse combination for most games

OugaBooga
28th Dec 2003, 20:39
hi,I use a ps2 game pad with ps2 to PC adapter>>>works great.
also have InterAct Hammerhead FX #SV-262 & a SV-262e & they also work great just that i'am upset they don't have the R3 & L3 button feature that the PSX pads do:( thats why i use the ps2 pad for these games.
I also have a MS dual strike for FPS games but this is the most difficult game pad ever made for FPS's,I guess thats why it didn't sell well.
I have a essential reality P5 glove & WISH that game developers would make this glove fully configurable for games.Even tho i got it recently for a good price i wish Eidos would continue to make games that use it.It's really cool.
I also have a saitek cyborg 3d gold flight stick & a CH pro throttle.This combo is great for anything flight sim & Can be used for FPS games.
Also have the mario andretti racing wheel which is WELL built & can take a good beating.I've moddified it a bit & use it inconjunction with a REAL corvette seat from a scrap yard.
I use the logitech MX 500 & razer boomslang 2000 mice.These 2 mice are the best for PC gaming IMHO & recommend either 1.

Why am i saying all this? cause i feel i have enuff experience with different hardware when it comes to PC & or console gaming & i say that there's NOTHING wrong playing defiance with any of these devices.The thing that makes me MAD is when developers DON'T ALLOW you to configure the controllers to YOUR liking & give some generic default setups to choice from.
I WANT the next game for xbox & or PC to ALLOW you to configure your controllers just like the PS sr1 & sr2 did.
IF there's ANYTHING MORE annoying that annoys me MOST it's NOT being able to configure my devices MY WAY.
Otherwise the ingame control on PC & console is THE SAME.

THX for reading & LISTENING to this if you're in charge of making the controls for CD/Eidos games:)
Otherwise keep up the great work:D

VoRaDoR
28th Dec 2003, 22:00
Although I haven't played Legacy of Kain - Defiance yet, I voted on Keyboard + Mouse. However, my gameplay experience on Blood Omen 2 on my Xbox was excellent and still is. Therefore if Microsoft would produce a Xbox type controller "the very first official controller" for the PC, it would be nice.

I played Soul Reaver 1 and 2 on my PC using my Keyboard and Mouse. I find no problem with Keyboard or Mouse at all for all of the games I currently have and owned or got rid of. I've played Blood Omen 2 on my Xbox and loved the controls. The Xbox controller is sweet. I think Microsoft should make the same controller for the PC as well. I do not like the PlayStation type controllers. It hurts my fingers when using the analog sticks, gives me a hand strain. But then again it's just the fact of getting used to it.

I believe it is very natural for Console Gamers to find Keyboard + Mouse difficult to play games with. Just like I find the PlayStation 1 & 2 Controllers un-comfortable myself. Oh well! Final word from me is -----It is a matter of getting used to it-----.

Lär
31st Dec 2003, 08:41
I was using an Interact Propad 6 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000JBUS/ref=e_de_a_smp/002-2633820-5951263?v=glance&s=electronics&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures), but switched to a Saitek P880 Dual Analog (http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/p880.htm). Gameplay feels 100 times better with the P880!!

Later! :D