PDA

View Full Version : How is it pronounced?

Ammo
2nd Aug 2003, 15:11
Dues Ex.

Do's Ex?

Doos Ex?

Dase Ex?

Days Ex?

How?

Ductonius
2nd Aug 2003, 15:22
Origin of Name = Deus Ex Machina, meaning "God from the Machine". It referes to a situation where the hero of a story is saved though intervention by a previously unmentioned force. In greek theater, this would be a god. The actor playing the god would be lowered by a winch to pluck the hero from the perilous situation. Hence, "God from the machine"

To anwer your question, its pronounced "day-oos ecks mac-ina" or in the case of Deus Ex, "Day-oos Ecks".

Hannibal
2nd Aug 2003, 17:13
I thought it was DAY-us Ex maSHEEna

Picasso
2nd Aug 2003, 17:24
http://cheetah.eb.com/sound/d/deus_e01.wav

Ammo
2nd Aug 2003, 17:51
Thanks.

Thats wierd. Ever since I got it I been pronouncing it "Dooce Ex".

Wich isnt so good when you start talking to fast. Cause then it sounds like Do Sex.

Say it fast, "Dooce Ex"

haha

AlphaAssailant666
2nd Aug 2003, 19:12
Ya i know that i was probably pronouncing it wrong. Thanks for making the thread lol. I have always said Doose Ex and i will continue to anyway becuase its more comfortable for me lol.

James Warren
3rd Aug 2003, 05:02
On the inside cover of my pretty blue and silver game box it says:
-------------------------------------------
Main Entry: de-us ex ma-chi-na

Pronunciation: Day-S-Eks Ma-she-Na
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, a god from a machine, translation of Greek Theos ek mEchanEs
Date of Origin: 1697

1: A god introduced by means of a crane in ancient Greek and Roman drama to decide the final outcome.

2: A person or thing (as in fiction or drama) that appears or is introduced suddenly and unexpectedly and provides a solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty.
-------------------------------------------

How well do you think JC fits those two definitions in the story? Is he anything like the Prophet Jesus Christ appearing unexpectedly on the earth mediating between the mind of god and the strife of men in order to implement a perfected vision of heaven on earth? Is the story well named? How many conflicting visions of perfection (and God) were there that others expected JC to facilitate? Was the story deep enough for you? Was it meaningful enough for you? Was it, in fact, about as meaningful as life gets?

But most importantly will you have to upgrade your computer to participate in the next adventure in this story and how many are not willing to do so?

Ypsili
3rd Aug 2003, 15:50
:D I don't care what anybody says

-- Deus Ex = Latin; means EVERY letter is pronounced

-- DE = day
-- us = oos = oohs pronounced short uh
-- EX = eks = X

-- MA = ma
-- ch = is pronounced as K ergo = K
-- i = is pronounced a ee

ergo chi = Kee

na = na

sooo, putting it all together = Day-oohs Eks Ma Kee Na

now ain't this fun????
You're speaking Latin and din't even know it :D

BrainPrawn
3rd Aug 2003, 18:30
LOL, I always said it like the playing card...

Deuce X.

James Warren
3rd Aug 2003, 22:31
From http://www.thefab.net/topics/culture/cg09_latin.htm I read this excerpt from an interesting history of Latin:
--------

Cicero, Caesar, Vergil, and Tacitus write masterpieces of Latin literature around 100 BC-150 AD -- Classical Latin. Also, Ovid writes a book on how to pick up women at the gladiator shows. The literary language becomes fixed and gradually loses touch with the ever- changing popular language known today as Vulgar Latin.

The Late (or "Vulgar") Latin (200-550) shows some varieties of literature adhere closely to the classical standard, others are less polished or deliberately closer to the popular speech (e.g., St. Jerome's translation of the Bible into Latin--the Vulgate). The western half of the empire is falling to pieces, but the Greek-speaking east, which is still in good shape, keeps using Latin in official contexts until the end of this period. And around 600-750 Latin has become a dead language.

In short these periods: Early Latin (from the founding of Rome in 753 B.C. until 81 B.C.); Classical Latin (from 81 B.C., when Caesar and Cicero were writing, until 14 A.D., when Augustus died); Silver Latin (a brilliant literary period), until 130 A.D.); Late (or "Vulgar") Latin; Medieval (or "Christian") Latin; Renaissance (or "Erasmian") Latin; and Modern (or "Neo-") Latin.

By the beginning of the Middle Ages and the growth of Christianity Latin died out as a spoken language, except for the church which continued to use Late Latin in the liturgy. It's hard to pinpoint one specific reason, except that all language develops and changes, like Old English is no longer spoken.

---------

Ypsilli, I never studied Latin so I will defer gratefully to your interpretation of Classical Latin pronunciation, but given the great span of time encompassing the evolution of Classical Latin into Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan will you not admit to the possibility of other valid pronunciations of "Deus Ex Machina" in the various evolving Vulgar Latins that exist before the extinction of Latin as anyone's mother tongue? Is there no possibility that those who wrote the story for the game we love and the quotes on the game box have also some valid access to the truth of it?

BrainPrawn, my wife, who is a fan of computer card games, refers to it a "Acey Deucey"

Skylink
4th Aug 2003, 00:00
/me eeks

:)

James Warren
4th Aug 2003, 20:08
My daughter wrote to me recently reminding me of what one of her friends STILL calls Deus Ex, namely "dose x" This may be quite close to the truth.

To relieve game boredom:
Take one in the morning and one in the evening.

AlphaAssailant666
4th Aug 2003, 23:45
James Warren wrote
My daughter wrote to me recently reminding me of what one of her friends STILL calls Deus Ex, namely "dose x" This may be quite close to the truth.

LOL thats a good one. :D

Loreleye
5th Aug 2003, 13:03
Ok, forget your english, you should know norwegian, cuz then deus, would be prounounst deus, no more, no less, and latin is a luanguage you pronounse as it is written.
E aind said eee, it is said as in englis says able, the a in able is e pronounst in deus! ex, is pronounst as the same, e is the a in able. and deus ex means from god. Deus means god, and ex means of, but put together it realy means from god.

I looked in my encyclopedia, and dictionery. But I never looked in my english dictionery, so my english aint perfect, but that cuz I dont care, and are from Norway!

Bio Denton
5th Aug 2003, 13:50
I think the continental pronounciation is Day-You-Sex.

Catman
5th Aug 2003, 14:06
You can imagine the looks I got when I suggested using Deus Ex as a text in my freshmen writing class (all computer science students).

No matter how you pronounce it, everyone thinks the game has something to do with sex.

http://www1.iastate.edu/~wsthune/cps/ted/tedflee.gif

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
5th Aug 2003, 15:12
mmm

in french, déouss ex (hmmm. good luck with this one)

Bio Denton
13th Aug 2003, 22:05
http://saslabs.com/dead_ted.png

Bwa ha ha ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-*cough wheeze*-ha-ha HA. The ted is dead!

"The I Hate Hamsters & Wooha Rules Conspiracy"

drone1984
13th Aug 2003, 22:40
The Mashed Potatoes will rule the world... When you're eating dinner, remember - you aren't eating the mashed potatoes, the mashed potatoes are eating YOU!!!

operative x
14th Aug 2003, 00:12
Deus ex
De=Dee
us=us
ex=X
i now its wrong but is just so much more comfortable to say:/

Catman
14th Aug 2003, 15:16
Originally posted by Bio Denton
http://saslabs.com/dead_ted.png

Bwa ha ha ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-*cough wheeze*-ha-ha HA. The ted is dead!Naw, he's just stunned.

Bio Denton
14th Aug 2003, 15:28
I'll get you and your little bear, too..

gareis
14th Aug 2003, 15:45
Originally posted by Ypsili
-- Deus Ex = Latin; means EVERY letter is pronounced
sooo, putting it all together = Day-oohs Eks Ma Kee Na

now ain't this fun????
You're speaking Latin and din't even know it :D

Well, we've never heard anyone speaking classical Latin. All we've heard is ecclesiastical Latin (that is, what they're using in the Vatican). So we don't know exactly how they pronounced it, but we can guess using current pronunciations from daughter languages, like Italian and Spanish. These are more reliable than ecclesiastical Latin because only a small, spread-out section of the population spoke EL, whereas everyone spoke the Romance languages.

Another way to guess is to compare loan words (mainly in Greek and from Greek) to get relative pronunciations. For instance, we could say that eta is equivalent to Latin |e|, but we don't know if that was /I/, /e/, or /E/--but we can guess that those are the most likely pronunciations. (Sorry; if you're not familiar with X-SAMPA, the equivalents in English are _i_t, h_ey_, and _e_nter, respectively, depending heavily on dialect.)

Also, there's a distinction between long and short vowels in Latin. While that meant originally that you pronounce one vowel for half the time that another is pronounced, it changed later, so /'dE.us ex/ (DEH-oose eyks) might be the better late pronunciation.

Oh, and it should be "makhina" rather than "machina", I think; it looks like a Greek loan.

~gareis

Montial
16th Aug 2003, 09:49
Originally posted by Catman

No matter how you pronounce it, everyone thinks the game has something to do with sex.

lol, including the censors at school, www.deusex2.com. Its quite frustrating when you want to check some information.

EDIT: By the way, I pronounce it deuce ex.

Godwin
16th Aug 2003, 13:50
ahh haha

anyway, i pronounce it "day-us eks", i heard it before on a TV video game show, namely, "cybernet"

[SYN] Nexus
16th Aug 2003, 23:13
Like said befoe its Latin so every letter is pronounced, I studied Latin and its Déùs Ex Máchiná.
However I always pronounce it as Deuce X cause it sounds much cooler :)

buddha
20th Aug 2003, 14:58
I know for a fact that it is pronounced 'Day-us Ecks' because I did latin and it literally means 'out of gods'. And they call it a dead language, pah!

dirigimaster
21st Aug 2003, 08:31
I just hate smart ***** who insist the proper pronunciation is is Deuce.

I will zap them with my electic prod.

Centauro
21st Aug 2003, 12:09
A minor problem with people who talk english as native language is that they have the slight tendency to keep the english pronunciation of letters when they talk other languages, as I've seen particularily with italian, spanish and latin. Now, for obvious reasons, the sounds of vowels in spanish (italian are just the same) are better to get the closer to original latin pronunciations. I've seen here some english speaking (I think) latin students who write that it is pronounced Day-us Ex.

That would be right if the sound of 'e' in latin had the same 'relativity' as in english, that is, 'e' doesn't have the same sound in ALL english words. That is not the case in latin, where the sound of 'e' is always the 'hard' sound as pronunced in english for words as Enter, dEck, dEn and... dEnton. The word deus has to syllabi, and being the accent in the 'e', you shouldn't pronounce the 'e' and 'u' as one sound,

I suppose that kind of little mistakes like pronuncing lat. deus as eng."day-us" relativizing -a la english- the sound of 'e', come from long ago, even in academic courses. (I mean, most english-speaking latin students learn from teachers whose mother language was english and they in turn learned latin from similar people... you get the idea. So if long ago someone introduced pronunciation mistakes, they passed all down the line to the present english speaking latin students.

And for the '-us' part, it is obviously not like saying the english pronoun 'us', but like the sound of a quick-spoken 'oos'

Then it would be

De us Ex
dE - oos ecks

(If I had web space I'd put a .wav in the net and post a link, but I haven't. If someone interested can host it, I'll pass it).

Anyway, if anyone likes to pronunce (eng) doos, day-us, or deuce, because he/she finds it easier or cooler, I counldn't care less, but don't come saying is it the correct form. I guess that even the way they pronounce it in IonStorm is not the right way, just Warren's (or, in any case, the way how it was pronunced by the guy that first came up with that name for the game).

ABOUT THE MEANING: There is a little issue here. The title of the game is just "Deus Ex" but by now almost everyone knows that it comes from the expression "Deus Ex Machina", which (as Ductonios and James_Warren correctly explained) is a term that comes from ancient greek theatre to describe when a play got to the point where there was a very troubled situation without apparent solution, and it was resolved by the sudden intervention a god, who fixed things and saved the day.

So "deus ex machina" means "god [that came out] from the machine" (the machine was the crane used to introduce the god actor in the stage). It is not right to say it means "out of gods" [Buddha], -meaning divine origin, not a shortage of deities... OK, bad joke- nor "from god", because in that case it would be '[something] ex deo'.

It should be obvious that the title was shortened just to 'Deus Ex' for it sounds much cooler, but that the expression 'Deus Ex' alone is almost meaningless because in latin all the words have a meaning relative to the surrounding words and the positions of them. The name 'Deus Ex' alone is more like a 'Deus Ex...' and if you have the reference, your mind automatically says 'Machina' [pronounced mákina]. Of course, when translating the game to PS, they dumbed down the title for console kids, adding "The Conspiracy", which doesn't make sense and is a redundant stupid explanation, like, "Hey, don't be afraid boy, this is a cool game about conspiracy, not a boring medieval theology course!" Ah, smart marketing people...

Now, if someone still doesn't get how the expression "a god that comes out of a machine to save the day" (the world ih this case), relates to the character of J(esus) C(hrist) Denton, I recommend to go and play the game again.

...well, even if you just knew what I just explained, I still recommend playing again. :cool:

OFF-TOPIC PS: I absolutely loved Deus Ex and had really high hopes for DX2, but with the available info, they kinda lowered. I guess we've expected so anxiously this sequel that we are afraid it won't be what we dreamed, and most surely it won't, but I still expect a good game. (Too bad my system is not a gamers bechmark).

No.6
21st Aug 2003, 14:46
It is certainly not "out of gods" and doubly not in the sense that the god vending machine has run short. :)

Firstly, "Deus" is the nominative singular. Therefore it is not acted upon by 'ex' nor is it plural, but is the primary noun in the phrase. If I wanted to say that something came out of or from a god the word would be "Deo" or from gods, "Deis."

"Machina" is the ablative singular form, acted on by the preposition 'ex'.

Of course the fragment "Deus Ex" is nonsense in Latin but it's a much catchier title for a game :)

As for pronouncement, see http://www.classicalconversations.com/LatinPronounce.htm

'e' as in 'met' in "Deus" and a hard c like "car" in "machina," sorry Centauro.

"Douce X" is dead wrong. And pause between the words Deus and Ex so you don't end up saying Day-oo-sex. :o

Thus concludes the Latin lesson. :cool:

Fixed the URL. Catman.

Centauro
22nd Aug 2003, 03:17
Sorry... about what? Point where am I wrong. [If its the 'k', my english teachers never taught me a difference between that and the sound of the c in 'car'... ]

Anyway, I think we may have a very close way to say it, you and I. Your gramatics are much better, though.

PS: Your link is broken. It has an extra period.

No.6
22nd Aug 2003, 17:03
No, the difference was merely over "dee" or "day." I admit to the advantage in Latin grammar; I used to be able to sight-read Lucan. Now I write PL/SQL for a living; not much difference really :)

Fun with the title: as was mentioned Deus Ex Machina is 'god from the machine' and was used by (bad) Greek playwrights to clean up their loose ends in their plot.

In the game the title is at least a double entendre:

1. JCD is, of course, potentially the god that comes from the machine, as in the Helios ending possibility.

2. JCD was originally intended by his creators as a 'fixer' or 'cleaner' in spy film parlance, or someone who is employed to take care of a bad situation (usually by terminating any inconvenient people).

and most probably

3. JCD is (no matter which ending is chosen) the solution to the emerging problem of technology and control; anyone familiar with The Prisoner would certainly understand why someone who uses the handle No.6 would appreciate DX...

In fact if I'm guessing the plot of DX2, the very central issue with the Dark Ages end-game is the center of DX2. Namely, if, as JCD reasons in this ending with the urging of TT, any civilization with global technology will exert global control, then the Dark Ages solution to DX1 only postponed the problem rather than resolved it.

But don't listen to me, I'm just a number.

JC 12
25th Jun 2004, 21:18
i'm sure u pronounce it as 'Day-us-x, if you closely listen to 1 of the trailers on deus ex website, on trailer3 you'l here the man say 'Day-us-x,

i sumtimes pronounce it as dooce x, it just feels more comfortable!?:rolleyes: deusex.com (http://www.deusex.com)

kevin319
26th Jun 2004, 20:43
Well that was certainly worth resurrecting this thread over.

Although it is fun to read all the posts that say, "I never realized I was pronouncing it wrong... but I will continue to pronounce it wrong because I like sounding ignorant!"

Silent_Hitman47
14th Jul 2004, 20:05
Day Us X

Larry138
14th Jul 2004, 23:13
All I know is "machina" is pronounced "mok - in - uh."

Esben87
28th Jul 2004, 10:05
Yes, english-speaking people DO have flaws when pronouncing European words. It's the same problem when pronouncing French words like: "idée". English-speaking people will pronounce it like "eed-ay" which is complete wrong. The 'ée' is not pronounced like the 'e' in dEnton or Egg. Unfortunately, there's no letter or word in English that is pronounced the way 'idée' is. Listen to some French and you'll know what I mean! If we want to "reproduce" the sound of the 'e' in dEnton or Egg we should look at the French letters 'ai' or 'è'.

As far as I know, the 'e' in Deus is pronounced like the French é, NOT like the french è or dEnton or Egg. But I could be wrong about this. IF I am, then it is without doubt pronounced like the French è or dEnton. But DEFINITELY not like 'ay'...

Hope this didn't confuse any of you... To sum up:
It is more correct to pronounce the 'e' in Deus as the 'e' in dEnton. That means it will be something like this: De-oos. But again: the 'oos' is pronounced quickly. Like if you were interrupted in the middle of saying it :)

Loreleye
28th Jul 2004, 16:20
I wonder, does Ion storm know this? Since they are the one who named the game, did they know how they pronounces their game?

Agent86
30th Jul 2004, 05:52
Originally posted by Centauro

ABOUT THE MEANING: There is a little issue here. The title of the game is just "Deus Ex" but by now almost everyone knows that it comes from the expression "Deus Ex Machina", which (as Ductonios and James_Warren correctly explained) is a term that comes from ancient greek theatre to describe when a play got to the point where there was a very troubled situation without apparent solution, and it was resolved by the sudden intervention a god, who fixed things and saved the day.

So "deus ex machina" means "god [that came out] from the machine" (the machine was the crane used to introduce the god actor in the stage). It is not right to say it means "out of gods" [Buddha], -meaning divine origin, not a shortage of deities... OK, bad joke- nor "from god", because in that case it would be '[something] ex deo'.

It should be obvious that the title was shortened just to 'Deus Ex' for it sounds much cooler, but that the expression 'Deus Ex' alone is almost meaningless because in latin all the words have a meaning relative to the surrounding words and the positions of them. The name 'Deus Ex' alone is more like a 'Deus Ex...' and if you have the reference, your mind automatically says 'Machina' [pronounced mákina]. Of course, when translating the game to PS, they dumbed down the title for console kids, adding "The Conspiracy", which doesn't make sense and is a redundant stupid explanation, like, "Hey, don't be afraid boy, this is a cool game about conspiracy, not a boring medieval theology course!" Ah, smart marketing people...

Now, if someone still doesn't get how the expression "a god that comes out of a machine to save the day" (the world ih this case), relates to the character of J(esus) C(hrist) Denton, I recommend to go and play the game again.

...well, even if you just knew what I just explained, I still recommend playing again. :cool:

Great post and thx. OMG I knew this game was deep but DAMN

about how it relates to deus ex 1

so the meaning is "a god that came from a machine to save the day", is that helios? Because How would you get out of jail?? How would you get in the blast doors???

or . . .

Does JC=Christ and Helios=god? and JC at the end reunites with god?

OMG this has to be the greatest game of all time. (btw OMG=Oh My Gosh :p) The only thing is, I dont remember hearing Christ running around with assult rifles

Originally posted by BrainPrawn
LOL, I always said it like the playing card...

Deuce X.

Right there with you. I thought I was the only one.

Originally posted by kevin319
Although it is fun to read all the posts that say, "I never realized I was pronouncing it wrong... but I will continue to pronounce it wrong because I like sounding ignorant!"

its not to sound ignorant, its just we have had this game for 4 years now and saying it the same way. It would just sound wrong to me to say anything but Deuce x because thats what Ive always known it as.

Bob Barker
4th Aug 2004, 20:25
I wonder if somone could find a connection with the name of the game and the templars and the main charater J.C Denton