PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider novel

Raven25
1st Aug 2003, 18:56
"Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Amulet of Power" is coming out this December. Looks quite interesting. My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n11/n59260.htm

I'm glad that they have chosen to base it on the game, rather than the movie.

THE True Lara
1st Aug 2003, 21:58
Humm, don't quite know what of make of that.
Somewhat doubt I'll be buying it.

Weirdly enough -and still on the subject of TR books- I just finished reading the novelisation of the first TR film, just over 18mins ago and was going to ask peoples opinions.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005OALI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I was book hunting in Wilton late this afternoon and found if for £2 so though what the heck, came home and just read it cover to cover -I think I may have stoppped for 15mins for a chicken sandwich and a cuppa, but that's all ;)
It's not too bad as books go, I think it's obviously based on the ealrier screenplay as its still got the original versions of the monastry scene, and triangle fight sequence and a few others in general the giest of the scenes a the same but he focus is occasionally changed, or more often just more line padding is addded, which when you compare the two, just makes the movie seem very abbrieviated.
The characters are also a bit more fleshed out. Some times for the better, some times for the worse. Lara is noticeably more 'human', and it's a shame they lost some of that in the film. The past history additions are generally good, but some of the parts seems uncharacteristic.
But more to my suprise the author brings in a lot of references to the exploits of 'game' Lara, mentioning Lara's adventures and past history involing Xian, Natla Technologies, Cambodia Ankor Wat training, Von Croy. Some real suprises there.
Though, even having now finished it, I'm still trying to work out which is better as a story, the book or the film?
Action scenes aside, -oh, and the mystic of the opening 'tomb' scene with SIMON is lost, which is a shame- I'm thinking the book is better!
So, has anyone else read it? Any thoughts?
On a side-line I notice the author Dave Stern, has also done the novelisation for the second film, so when that makes it into the bargains in 2 years time, I may buy that and compare the two ;)
btw, appologies for sidelining your topic Raven ;)

Tipsko
2nd Aug 2003, 01:28
I've read the book about a year ago, and I liked it! I really liked it that they refer to other tomb raider games, the dagger of xian!

Deekman
2nd Aug 2003, 12:24
At first I thought this thread was going to be about the movie novelization.
I generally don't read those. But this looks something I'll definately pick up.

Raven25
2nd Aug 2003, 15:27
I looked around and the only info I was able to find about this book is that they're calling it "The first novel based on the bestselling video game, and the official prequel to Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness". Sounds good so far.:D

euphoric
2nd Aug 2003, 19:31
I do enough reading in college lol.......blah i'll still pick it up!!!

Raven
2nd Aug 2003, 23:33
There's an advert for these new novels in the back of the official AoD strategy guide. They do look interesting......it says they're going to be tied in directly to the newest game releases. That could mean a delay while the move to Crystal gets sorted out....
I'll buy them anyway. More Lara=good :D

Miss Natla
26th Oct 2003, 11:21
I really liked the TR Movie Novelisation. I prefer it to the film, actually, and plus there's a lot more Pimms scenes. :D
I'm going to read the second one as soon as I complete the game.

Can't wait for the book...I wonder if Larson will be in it? ;)

Trinity34
11th Dec 2003, 13:47
I just finished reading the Amulet of Power and I really enjoyed it. The action scenes were what I could picture Lara actually doing and I think the author got her attitude dead on. The biggest difference from the games is that a lot of people helped Lara with finding the amulet; usually Lara works alone. :)

Btw, it doe not follow the storyline of the game. Some guy named Kevin Mason recues her from the temple in Egypt.

Johnny
12th Dec 2003, 18:31
How advanced is the overall sentence structure and vocabulary? I don't want to read a childish novel... :rolleyes:

John

Jewell
12th Dec 2003, 22:08
@ TTL- You should definately check out the second book if you liked the first one so much. I liked the second movie really well, but the book brings lots of details omitted from the movie. :D

Dead_Angel
17th Dec 2003, 16:24
Um...it hasnt come out yet, has it? if and when it does, where do you think we (the fans...er people) would be able to get it? Any most known book store like, barns n nobles? or would we have to order it off the net? please hlep, gotta go, class is over, bye now.

oh and thanks

Leigh Croft
17th Dec 2003, 20:13
Yup, I've got it. Loving it so far. You can order it off the net at www.amazon.com, although I must admit I havent seen it around in amy book shops yet.

Dead_Angel
18th Dec 2003, 15:40
Originally posted by Leigh Croft
Yup, I've got it. Loving it so far. You can order it off the net at www.amazon.com, although I must admit I havent seen it around in amy book shops yet.

ack! ooh...okie thanks!! :) :: sits with huge smile :: how much was it, like all together, shipping and handling and stuff, please let me know, ill be here till 9:25 (pacific time)..wait what am i doin? lol i can always check tomorrow...im just....ack i cant wait..:)

:D :D

NrthnStar5
18th Dec 2003, 19:26
I saw it at WaldenBooks.

Dead_Angel
19th Dec 2003, 15:33
well, yesterday, after school, i called the barns & nobles bookstore and after about 15 minutes, the guy that answered found it, and is currently holding it for me...so im gonna get it after school...:: smiles.... :: :D

EddyBones
5th Feb 2004, 01:23
My lord, that had to be one of the worst books I've read in a long time. I got no satisfaction out of reading it. I didn't get a good image of Lara in this book. She didn't talk and act the way I had always imagined. And the ending... Oh, it was so abrupt and just so cliche. I'm disappointed:(

Cyber_Punk_303
5th Feb 2004, 02:47
I don't understand how it can be so hard to turn TR into a relevant/high quality franchise. I mean, is it that hard to make a good movie? Indiana Jones - which is supposdly a B-movie, is amazing.

I always envisioned Lara's adventure's as a metaphor for life... I always thought she was looking for herself. Maybe looking for the meaning of life. Maybe searching for the first origins of life. Not some stupid, cliche'd artifact of mystical powers n shy/t.

I'm hoping to one day see a good TR book on the shelves. Anybody ever read "The Celestine Prophecy"? Now THAT is an awesome book, scratch that, MANUSCRIPT.

THE True Lara
6th Feb 2004, 14:29
Originally posted by Jewell
@ TTL- You should definately check out the second book if you liked the first one so much. I liked the second movie really well, but the book brings lots of details omitted from the movie. :D
I did a month or two later, and whilst the book works better than the movie, I still think the first set works better still, ...as well as it can work.

@Gandalf, I had similar complaints when I read 3 of the 'graphic novels' (long comics ;) ) but I suppose you just have to say, 'well, everyone sees Lara slightly differently, however 'right' or 'wrong' that perception may be considered, and at the end of the day is it any surprise that when someone's given the chance to make Lara walk and talk the way they want, it'll turn out disapointing to everyone else who see's Lara differently?' ......then again, it could just be a shyte book ;)

@Cyber_Punk, making a good movie must be harder than it seems, I mean, when you look at the first attempt it had all the right elements, a lot of thought and effort, decent casting, etc... went into it but somehow when it was finished it collapsed?
Indy movies have a lot going for them in comparison, it's naturally going to be harder to make a TR film that'll stand up in the same way. The question is will anyone have the interst in the franchise to keep trying, or will they decide it's too much hastle, and dump the idea now?

thanhkim
6th Feb 2004, 15:36
I liked the book it was very much to the game and it showed how lovely Lars is.

EddyBones
6th Feb 2004, 16:33
Maybe I'm just overly critical about literature. I loved the graphic novels though, lol. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Deekman
6th Feb 2004, 17:54
I picked it up three weeks ago.
Haven't read it yet.
Just finished Terry Pratchett's Sourcery.
Now I have my last three weeks worth of comix to get thru.
Then Amulet of Power.

Deekman
24th Feb 2004, 13:30
Well, I didn't think it was so bad. I wasn't expecting a literary masterpiece.
It was a quick and fun read, I thought. To me, Lara seemed more like the game Lara as opposed to the comic book or movie Lara, because my mental visuals kept going to the in game fmvs. I liked Lara's Muslim cohorts. They made for a fun crew. They were brave, trustworthy, funny, and not stupid. I think the world needs a bit of assurance that not all Muslims are bloodthirsty terrorists.
I'll be reading the next one....

DaveJ
1st Mar 2004, 20:45
Originally posted by THE True Lara
@Cyber_Punk, making a good movie must be harder than it seems, I mean, when you look at the first attempt it had all the right elements, a lot of thought and effort, decent casting, etc... went into it but somehow when it was finished it collapsed?

Simple.
It was taken away from the Director and re-edited in a style wildly at odds with the way it was written and filmed. Characterisation was edited out in order to appeal to the A.D.D./MTV crowd...keep it moving fast and hope no-one notices. Don't be fooled into thinking that all that was removed was the DVD deleted scenes.

A bad edit can ruin a good film, and a good edit can salvage a mediocre one. Trust me.

I'd still like to see Simon West's original cut someday.

TR James
9th Mar 2004, 20:33
Speaking as a true Tomb Raider fan, I wish the movie had been cut, and thrown into a large fire.