PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Crystal Dynamics will make a better Tomb Raider?

zana
31st Jul 2003, 17:08
1.Yes
2.No
I don't Know yet.I'm not sure...But I want to see what you think...

jodman3
31st Jul 2003, 17:26
WE ALREADY HAVE A @##$$% THREAD LIKE THIS. I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP MAKING THE SAME DAMN THREADS!

zana
31st Jul 2003, 17:33
Originally posted by jodman3
WE ALREADY HAVE A @##$$% TREAD LIKE THIS. I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP MAKING THE SAME DAMN TREADS!
Ok,so I didn't realise there was already a poll with this subject!I this a reason to be so mad?:(

JohnRaider
31st Jul 2003, 17:37
You should really look at other topics before posting as there might already be one on the same subject. It is quite annoying to see all these threads that appear to be the same.

Jack_Raider

Mangar The Dark
31st Jul 2003, 20:26
I didn't see another thread asking if we thought CD would make a better TR than Core. I saw a thread asking if we were happy about CD taking over, which I guess is similar, but I like the focus of this thread since it won't become another topic in which we debate whether or not Eidos was moral in what they did-- instead, it will focus on what matters to us as gamers: Will the game benefit from this change?

(in any case, even IF the thread was identical, there's no reason to start shouting at people. Try to act civil, and if the topic bothers you, ignore it and it will go away. By replying, you're only keeping it up on the topic list.)

So, back to the question at hand:

I don't know, but I think there's definitely hope. Considering the circumstances under which CD acquired the rights to the franchise, I think they will pay close attention to what the fans want. First of all, they know people are going to be judging them closely, and they will want to prove themselves worthy. Second of all, they know they got the franchise because of the problems with AOD. They'll want to avoid making similar mistakes. There's a lot on the line for them, and I think that's a good thing, as it will force them to put everything they've got into TR7.

dhama
31st Jul 2003, 21:15
I think it's a good move zana, they will have a lot to live up to, so won't risk a lemon IMHO. ;)

@jodman3, cool off dude.... you'll burst a vessal mate. :p

Lord Pomposity
31st Jul 2003, 21:19
After Angel of Darkness, anything will be an improvement.

zana
31st Jul 2003, 21:35
Originally posted by Mangar The Dark
I didn't see another thread asking if we thought CD would make a better TR than Core. I saw a thread asking if we were happy about CD taking over, which I guess is similar, but I like the focus of this thread since it won't become another topic in which we debate whether or not Eidos was moral in what they did-- instead, it will focus on what matters to us as gamers: Will the game benefit from this change?

(in any case, even IF the thread was identical, there's no reason to start shouting at people. Try to act civil, and if the topic bothers you, ignore it and it will go away. By replying, you're only keeping it up on the topic list.)

Thanks a lot for being supportive,for a moment I felt like I did something veeeeery wrong... :D

Anyway,to come to our point of discussion,the more I think of it,the more I believe that there is only one way ahead for crystal dynamics and that is only:SUCCESS.
So I try to think possitive and see the bright side of the matter.;)

zana
31st Jul 2003, 21:37
Originally posted by dhama
I think it's a good move zana, they will have a lot to live up to, so won't risk a lemon IMHO. ;)

;) ;) :cool:

ahch2003
31st Jul 2003, 23:53
YES. They will make A better TR game!.. because: they must know about the TR:AOD disaster. So Yes they will make a better TR game Im 100% shure about that. :)

nowalruses
1st Aug 2003, 01:25
Not sure if it will be better, but I'm starting to get excited (not that way:p ) thinking about what some fresh perspectives will bring to the game. I'll miss Core, but oh, the possibilities...

REHome
1st Aug 2003, 06:07
Who is Crystal Dinamic?
Does Eidos/Core let them that another company makes a Tomb-Raider?

moneyist
1st Aug 2003, 06:21
I do not think so
Maybe they do better
But the STYLE MUST Be chenged!!
I Love this style~~

vampire of balance
1st Aug 2003, 09:52
Core came with great idea with TR1, but all other 5 games are "more of the same". We realy need some change and I believe Crystal Dynamics can handle that.

zana
1st Aug 2003, 10:06
Originally posted by REHome
Who is Crystal Dinamic?
Does Eidos/Core let them that another company makes a Tomb-Raider?

Eidos owns both core and crystal dynamics.Cd is an american company responsible for the Legacy of Kain series and for Soul Reaver.They also made gex for PS.So,as you can understand it still remains under Eidos's supervision.

SilentWhisper
1st Aug 2003, 10:26
To be honest i'm really not sure. I guess only time will tell:)

knightgames
1st Aug 2003, 11:03
What a bunch of A$$HATS........
If you get so easily roused up by a repeat question then you need to chill out. (if it IS a repeat question)
Seriously..... if you are so pi$$ed at seeing an offensive (ahem) post then just turn the page.......
It's pointless to get angry, and all you do is spew forth your venum by attacking someone who wanted to participate and have a good time.

Personally, i think CD will do a great job with TR. The downside is we'll have to wait for 2 years till the next one.
It's a small detail but one that is so well done that I think it bears mentioning. In the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver II cut scenes, the lip syncing was done BEAUTIFULLY. And, for a playstation II game the overall does look fantastic. It's development cycle was difficult too because the original design was to be for the psI, so many plans had to be scrapped to release the game. LOK:SR is an intensive story based game that looked and played very well. Lara will be in good hands.

zana
1st Aug 2003, 13:31
Originally posted by knightgames
What a bunch of A$$HATS........
If you get so easily roused up by a repeat question then you need to chill out. (if it IS a repeat question)
Seriously..... if you are so pi$$ed at seeing an offensive (ahem) post then just turn the page.......
It's pointless to get angry, and all you do is spew forth your venum by attacking someone who wanted to participate and have a good time.

Thanks knightgames! :D

VicVegas
1st Aug 2003, 15:21
Hey Zana,
don't let these other angry people put you off - I don't bother searching through every thread either, just to see if there's anything similar that's already been posted. I'm afraid it's just their way of saying 'I knew first...' which I suppose gives them some sort of kudos in their eyes? Who knows. Who cares.

Anyway, back to the game... I think it's a bit of shame about Core really - I've heard that the next release is supposed to be much better and also could have possibly been released as early as this Xmas? Now we're told 2005 by CD. It's a bit of a shame that all the work for next one (which was to have all taken place in the Nephilim's lair, apparently) will now go to waste.

We had to wait years for AoD, if the next one isn't out until 2005 I honestly think everyone will have forgotten all about Lara by then. In many ways she really did die at the end of TLR.

SilentWhisper
1st Aug 2003, 15:38
Just one second. Prehaps i'm missing something here, but does this mean that the whole story about the Nephilim race will be scrapped?

VicVegas
1st Aug 2003, 16:23
Of course I don't know this for sure (and it probably hasn't been decided yet anyway) but I would imagine that Eidos will want to distance itself as much as possible from the memory of AoD. If you think about it, the story could just finish where we left off at the end of this episode?

Maybe it'll just start with Lara back in her mansion taking a shower and it'll all have been a big dream - remember how they did it with Bobby in Dallas :-)

Kristi
2nd Aug 2003, 12:23
I don't think it can get any worse than this.Anything will be an improvement IMHO.

vampire of balance
2nd Aug 2003, 12:44
Originally posted by Kristi
I don't think it can get any worse than this.Anything will be an improvement IMHO.
controls can't be worse than AOD :) I'm LOK and TR fan and I think CrystalD will make superb Tomb Raider. Core had lost their passion since after TR4(Chronicles and AOD are dissapointment to me) so we need some refreshment.

marty
2nd Aug 2003, 14:58
The way I see it is ,that the Core design that produced the last couple of TR games , isn't neccessarily the same group of people that produced the first couple of games.

Toby Guard who created Lara,for instance, left Core after the first game, yet Lara Croft and Tomb Raider carried on.

I feel Crystal Dynamics have a good chance of creating a good Tomb Raider game....maybe they'll inject some new life into the series which it really needs.

D3v1L80Y
2nd Aug 2003, 17:50
Originally posted by Lord Pomposity
After Angel of Darkness, anything will be an improvement.

I second that

owen10
2nd Aug 2003, 17:52
This news has rejuvinated my interest in the Tomb Raider franchise. AoD was a tired, buggy and altogether dated work, which illustrated little of the workmanship lavished upon earlier instalments. Since Soul Reaver, Crystal Dynamics have been taking the third person adventure genre in more intuitive and interesting directions, such that a Tomb Raider game from their stables is exciting enough news. I just hope it's not purely a marketing decision, and that the team create a Tomb Raider game worthy of past titles.

Ralo
2nd Aug 2003, 23:08
Zana, Crystal Dynamics are a perfectly-capable and skilled developer so I don't think there's any cause for concern. Lara is in the hands of very creative and professional game designers.

But I would have liked to have seen her go to a more exciting and challenging development studio - perhaps Valve (Half-Life2), Starbreeze (Enclave) or maybe even the great iD (Doom3).

I'm optimistic, though. I think she's finally got the change of scenery she needs.

Ringwraith6
3rd Aug 2003, 20:31
I for one don't think that AOD is awful, it's not the best TR game, but definetely not the worst (Hello TR3 and Chronicles...). It's true that after TLR Core was fed up with TR, but they tried to change things a bit with AOD and they did a pretty decent job, and once again i must stress out that Core is not to blame for the fact that the game is well... average for a TR game, it is Eidos's fault, if they hadn't pushed Core to have it ready by the end of June and gave them an extra month or two, we would be the owners of a masterpiece. I think that Core deserves a second chance, but if Eidos are determined for their own (clearly financial) reasons to take away TR from them, i can't imagine a better "foster family" than Crystal Dynamics, the makers of the trully excellent Soul Reaver series. Oh and by the way, since CD gets TR then they'll probably get Core's plans for the trilogy too. I haven't finished AOD yet (although i'm close) and i don't know how many loose ends the end leaves us with, but i do think that CD know that if they din'y continue the story most of the fans will be furious, and after the fiaco of AOD and its review scores, infuriating the fans is very-very risky!

rancor
4th Aug 2003, 00:08
yes!! finally the most beautiful woman is becoming an american.hahaha the stupid little british with your crappy little country with it´s crappy fat food. fish and chips , walker crisps (the best they have) etc. She will get an american accent and we will see all the great american things in the game. She is gonna move to L.A and eat hot dogs and drink Coca Cola. Cool!! Forget the pathetic british with their tea, she will drink coffee at star bucks. hahahahaha stupid british. Your country can´t even produce a good game in 3 years let the yanks do it! We know how to finish a job!

owen10
4th Aug 2003, 00:18
We do have Coke and Coffee in England too, y'know. I've heard rumours we're getting the television next, whatever that is.

rancor
4th Aug 2003, 00:25
yeah , you get tv and coke from america... simpsons , friends, star trek and amm baywatch, the crappy bbc can´t propably doesn´t even pay a license to show our great series, you british are so poor, let lara drink coffee and watch good old american football...

owen10
4th Aug 2003, 01:18
LOL, how childish.

m3k
4th Aug 2003, 01:19
Originally posted by jack_Raider
You should really look at other topics before posting as there might already be one on the same subject. It is quite annoying to see all these threads that appear to be the same.

Jack_Raider

How about not reading this post dingdong_Raider? LOL

Gheeesh!

nowalruses
4th Aug 2003, 06:40
Originally posted by rancor
yeah , you get tv and coke from america... simpsons , friends, star trek and amm baywatch, the crappy bbc can´t propably doesn´t even pay a license to show our great series, you british are so poor, let lara drink coffee and watch good old american football...

To our friends across the pond: Thanks for Lara and we sincerely apologize for 'Baywatch'...really!

phoniex
4th Aug 2003, 12:14
Only *KONAMI* can make a good Tomb Raider game !!