PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Dynamic.......... Good move I think

dhama
30th Jul 2003, 22:09
I think this is good news myself and perhaps it should have come sooner. If Core Design had a rough time bringing us a Tomb Raider game once a year and taking 3 years to complete* TRAOD, then perhaps Crystal Dynamic will take away that burden.

* :rolleyes: :p

PaulZ108
30th Jul 2003, 22:12
Nice to see I'm not the only one.

JohnRaider
30th Jul 2003, 22:25
I am glad about the change also. Core needs to focus on more original games like Herdy Gerdy and Project Eden. Also, I think both games sold well so why not make a sequel? I love Core Design for creating tomb raider in the first place. But as I said before Core needs to focus on more original titles and think of sequels for their current games. I think Core really does need a break from tomb raider. CD just might be able to capture the true TR experiance that the first tomb raider had.

Deekman
31st Jul 2003, 12:00
Best case scenario?
Jeremy winds up at Crystal.

Omega_Weapon
31st Jul 2003, 14:20
We'll see; results are the tell-all proof.

EddyBones
31st Jul 2003, 14:59
I've never heard of Crystal Dynamic before:rolleyes:

Deekman
31st Jul 2003, 16:50
Originally posted by Gandalf the Gray
I've never heard of Crystal Dynamic before

Legacy of Kain series.

io_
31st Jul 2003, 21:44
maybe "Toby Gard" will be hired to bring it back to what it was in TR1

Aquarius
1st Aug 2003, 01:28
I've heard about this too, and the article said that TR7 would be completed in 2005. From a different report I had read earlier about TR7, it was supposed to be released at the end of this year......

dhama
1st Aug 2003, 17:25
Originally posted by Aquarius
I've heard about this too, and the article said that TR7 would be completed in 2005. From a different report I had read earlier about TR7, it was supposed to be released at the end of this year......

The media are like dark clouds in the sky - doesn't always mean it's gonna rain.

Whatever the outcome; i'll always buy a Tomb Raider game. ;)

midroth
6th Aug 2003, 06:00
> The media are like dark clouds in the sky - doesn't always mean it's gonna rain.

Rain is just "fluid sun shine".

> Whatever the outcome; i'll always buy a Tomb Raider game.

Always? Hmm, donno. But the next for sure 99%. I HAVE to see the different!

phoniex
6th Aug 2003, 12:20
Eidos is going out from a hole and entering to a deeper hole !

dhama
7th Aug 2003, 17:13
Look around carefully; there's always a medipac to be had......

Treeble
10th Aug 2003, 17:42
Well I am actually afraid of this. There will be no "TR7", but in fact, it will be a new start. AND, what is frightening me is... will there still be Lara Croft? Tomb Raider would simply not be Tomb Raider without Lara Croft.

I mean... did Eidos pass to Crystal the TR franchise, or both TR AND LC franchises?

Treeble
10th Aug 2003, 17:50
Originally posted by Aquarius

Core's TR7 would be released by the end of this year. However, it doesn't depend anymore on Core. But yes, on Crystal, and since Crystal will work on it from the scratch, the new TR game will be out by the end of Eidos 2005 FY. :rolleyes:

D3v1L80Y
10th Aug 2003, 18:07
Originally posted by TREEBLE
Well I am actually afraid of this. There will be no "TR7", but in fact, it will be a new start. AND, what is frightening me is... will there still be Lara Croft? Tomb Raider would simply not be Tomb Raider without Lara Croft.

I agree...TR without Lara Croft is not TR. And seriously now...who is really scared that a TR game would be released without her? Give Crystal Dynamics some credit...nobody is THAT stupid to all of a sudden remove the title character from a game franchise as long running as TR.

I mean... did Eidos pass to Crystal the TR franchise, or both TR AND LC franchises?

Yes they did. Eidos owns the rights to TR and its development, they can give the option to develop the game to whomever they desire.......so this:

Core's TR7 would be released by the end of this year. However, it doesn't depend anymore on Core. But yes, on Crystal, and since Crystal will work on it from the scratch, the new TR game will be out by the end of Eidos 2005 FY. :rolleyes:

doesn't make too much sense. If the next TR game was already in development, it wouldn't really matter what company started the development..... Eidos owns the rights to said development...why would Crystal choose to start the development from scratch if they don't have to?? It would not make any sense to do that. It would be much easier to expand upon what has already been established. Now maybe they will start over from scratch, who knows? All I am saying is that there should be no reason to, unless the development so far is completely off and really needed to be reworked from the get go.

garbagefanuk
13th Aug 2003, 15:57
Well companies have different ideas on what makes games great... CD is new to the TR series and therefore will probably try to add a spark back to it thereway... How far along it was is irrelavent if its a crappy game so they might as well start again really. Nothing to lose

storm shadow
13th Aug 2003, 17:54
I just hope that the game will be nothing less than the previous versions... and most important... the special affair we all had with lara... must be brought back to life...
I have missed it in AOD.. sorry just feel like it!

DKSM
14th Aug 2003, 00:41
Originally posted by D3v1L80Y
....If the next TR game was already in development, it wouldn't really matter what company started the development..... Eidos owns the rights to said development...why would Crystal choose to start the development from scratch if they don't have to??

Crystal Dynamics is going to use their LoK engine, and I don't think it is possible, or easy if it is possible, to transfer what has been done already from Core's engine to theirs.

Cyber_Punk_303
14th Aug 2003, 05:06
I wish tonight upon a star that they could bring back Toby Guard. His imagination, work and creation was my best gaming experience by far. If he could come back and reclaim what's rightfully his, he could recreate it into his original vision (TR1). Classy yet bad azz Lara would be back, no more feets on the tables and oversized racks. A good evolving story surrounding a great sharp hero, involving archeology and immersive environments... An exciting, adventurous out of body experience. Exploration and spelunking, fact and fiction, crypts and tombs, bla bla bla bla...

RebeL_fARmeR
14th Aug 2003, 11:55

Well, Tomb Raider IS Lara Croft and Lara IS Tomb Raider. Lara and TR are like tar on a backpack, cannot be seperated (I say that because I know, you should see my frickin' bag... stupid lamp post, which airhead decided to put tar all over it anyway?) If they DO go and remove the Lara Croft element from the Tomb raider games then they're fundamental jackasses, sales of the game would go down, Tomb Raider would be destroyed and I for one wouldn't buy the game on principal!

BARGH!

As for "I've never heard of Crystal Dynamics before" All I have to say to that is: Crystal... WHO? What's a dynamic crystal or a crystal dynamic or a... what was that name again? :D

Leigh Croft
14th Aug 2003, 12:01
I've just posted this in another thread and I can't be arsed typing it all again so you get a lovley cut and paste job!

I'm eagre to see what Crystal Dynamics come up with but the only thing i'm worried about is that CD will try to take Tomb Raider in a totally new direction and in time run it off the rails. It will definately start to get peoples backs up when they start changing things which make the game Tomb Raider, they need to make the transition from AOD to the next installment seamless, if we notice major differences in gameplay, features and controlls etc. people will start to see that the whole game series is being changed. This is definately not the right way to go.

Hmmmm, maybee Crystal Dynamics should employ some of the Core Design ppl who actually have experience and KNOW what Tomb Raider is about....

SuzieCroft
14th Aug 2003, 12:33
Eh. Who cares who makes it? Just as long as it's a fun game, it could be developed by 3DO for all I care.

Wait. 3DO are dead.

:eek:

GoranAgar
14th Aug 2003, 12:37
Yes, but Eidos is in line to buy it.

storm shadow
14th Aug 2003, 14:06
Caused by the fact that Tomb Raider is born at Core Design must not be forgotten so easily! Okay Core Design messed up big time... Don't sugarcoat it... it's a game with to many bugs in it and to mention the amount of time it took to get it on the market... but that last thing doesn't matter to me! What matters to me that if Crystal Dynamics took over the game will lose it's spark! The thing it is all about... everything that made Tomb Raider! I hate to see Tomb Raider getting American all the way! bugger!
I think Core Design have to make up with the people who are in trouble now with playing the game and at least solve all the problems the people are witnessing! I am still stuck also with the game error structured etc... bug thingie! It is enoying!

bonnie :)
15th Aug 2003, 12:47
Since TR7 will be released in 2005.....I wonder if it will be for the PS2 or PS3.....last I heard, PS3 will be out in 2005. Or I guess TR8 will be for PS3.

LARAMANIAC
15th Aug 2003, 14:15
Oh dear don't start me worrying already!!!! :p

dhama
15th Aug 2003, 19:42
Just remember, there are still people out there creating custom TR levels, and most of them can easily be considered to be better than Cores own designs.... so the wait (however long) won't be so bad. :)