PDA

View Full Version : Worries about TR in CD's hands?

LaraAngelOfDarkness
30th Jul 2003, 16:03
Are there any worries about the TR franchise now that it's in the hands of Crystal Dynamic? I'm being open minded on the whole thing, but I'm afraid they will change the game too much for a few examples:

1. Will they try to adopt a new look (more realistic looking) again?
2. Will they continue the Trilogy?
3. Will it still be in TR style (puzzles, action, exploration)?
4. What happens to Kurtis?

Anything anyone wants to add?

cornchild
30th Jul 2003, 16:12
I'm scared too.

I hope they don't change it. Here we are all worrying and they just might make it as fun as tr1 with new puzzles seeing how they are new creators there will be lots more stuff we haven't come to expect.

Edit:

Maybe the new developers will be so scared that they are gonna get it wrong that everytihng will be perfect classic tr style gameplay.

I am scared that tr won't be the same but, then again maybe all will be well. I can't wait to see pics of the next tr game.

JohnRaider
30th Jul 2003, 19:10
I actually thought the AOD style was rather cartoony than realistic. Maybe CD will capture the old Lara Croft look. I really do hope CD follows the storyline of AOD rather than changing it. I played AOD for a reason and I want to find out what happens next. If tomb raider 7 does come around than it would be great it CD captures the old/classic feel of tomb raider. But bring the classic/old feel in a new direction so its not the same old thing. AOD just didn't have that classic tomb raider feel.

Xcom
30th Jul 2003, 19:29
Originally posted by LaraAngelOfDarkness
Anything anyone wants to add?

5. Lara will become a vampiress. :p

***Terra***
30th Jul 2003, 19:36
The main thing which scares me is what they're going to do with the AOD storyline [is Adrian Smith part of Eidos or not? I always get confused on that] I'm trying to remain positive so I guess I'm getting used to the idea of them developing but I hope at least they have Adrian Smith to overlook the storyline for the next 2 games, 'cause i was looking forward to them damnit! I don't mind if Crystal Dynamics want to develop their own storyline in the future but don't drop the AOD one!

Also worried about Kurtis, haven't seen much of him yet, but I want him to stay! I like Lara actually having a friend she can interact with, instead of be alone most of the time.

Oh also have Core not already started work on the second AOD game, so what's going to happen with that?

That's all so far, but hey - trying to be positive, even if it is so depressing how Core have TR taken away from them. Stupid question but does this mean Core can have nothing to do with TR at all now? Like a Core employee couldn't even become involved in any of the non-videogame TR stuff, like the movie or the comics?

THE True Lara
30th Jul 2003, 19:54
Not worried,

ANGRY :mad:

Raven
30th Jul 2003, 20:10
Originally posted by ***Terra***
The main thing which scares me is what they're going to do with the AOD storyline [is Adrian Smith part of Eidos or not? I always get confused on that] I'm trying to remain positive so I guess I'm getting used to the idea of them developing but I hope at least they have Adrian Smith to overlook the storyline for the next 2 games, 'cause i was looking forward to them damnit! I don't mind if Crystal Dynamics want to develop their own storyline in the future but don't drop the AOD one!

Adrian is the Operations Director at Core.....it was Jeremy who was on the management team of both Eidos and Core, before he left.
I was also looking forward to seeing the rest of the planned AoD storyline unfold, Terra.....I really hope Crystal Dynamics finished up with that instead of abandoning it. I suppose they'll have to conclude it in some fashion, seeing as the last game ended on a cliffhanger......

Also worried about Kurtis, haven't seen much of him yet, but I want him to stay! I like Lara actually having a friend she can interact with, instead of be alone most of the time.

Me too :) It also occurs to me that maybe Core could still do a series of Kurtis games? Or does Crystal get exclusive rights to him, as well?

Oh also have Core not already started work on the second AOD game, so what's going to happen with that?

That's all so far, but hey - trying to be positive, even if it is so depressing how Core have TR taken away from them. Stupid question but does this mean Core can have nothing to do with TR at all now? Like a Core employee couldn't even become involved in any of the non-videogame TR stuff, like the movie or the comics?

I dunno about that....it's hard to say at this stage. I suppose as soon as there's more news about the future of TR, someone'll post it here ;)
It would be nice if Crystal kept going from where Core left off though......

PaulZ108
30th Jul 2003, 22:06
I seriously hope they DON'T continue the AOD storyline. The TR7 that Adrian Smith described sounded incredibly stupid...the whole game taking place underground in Turkey?

If they do anything with it, I hope they just tie up the loose ends (Kurtis, etc.) and move on.

LaraAngelOfDarkness
30th Jul 2003, 23:29
Well If they drop it, then you might as well start the series all over again! I'm mean it would be weird for her to just stop the story completly and just go on an adventure. Though if they did (which wouldn't make any sense), they should really bring Natla back!:D

Umah Bloodomen
31st Jul 2003, 01:51
Originally posted by Xcom

Then this was a premonition.... (http://umahbloodomen.members.easyspace.com/umahraider.jpg)

I scare myself sometimes. :D

I've commented in a few other threads (one here and one in the LOK forums) that I feel this will be a good opportunity for Crystal Dynamics.

I wouldn't fret over Kurtis, from what I've read, he's got a mystical background and could very well be molded into his own spin-off. (Something similar to DMC or SR for example).

tomb_raiding
31st Jul 2003, 02:07
LOL Xcom you cracked me up :D:D

LMH&AO Umah :D:D:D:D

What is Umah (in pic) doing to Lara :D

Umah Bloodomen
31st Jul 2003, 02:18
A little over a month ago, some comments over on the LOK forums were taken out of context and ignited a battle of the games. (All in good fun after putting the original comments back in context). In an attempt to be funny, I edited a few graphics and displayed them in the forums. (This one, and one with a Lara Model decked out like Indiana Jones, and another one with Indiana Jones wearing Lara's blue top).

The purpose of this one was to display my personal preference for LOK. Hopefully without being too suggestive, a couple of my nicknames are "Mistress Umah" and "The Mistress of LOK". I edited the picture to display Umah being dominant and Lara being submissive (by conforming to the vampiric side of the spectrum).

Sarcasm at it's finest. :D I was merely joking around and about my *premonition*, although I do admit that the recent turn of events are odd after making that image.

I forgot to comment earlier about the puzzles. CD has been great at incorporating puzzles into their games (although the block puzzles of the SR series get tedious after awhile - too many of them). :p

billvolc
31st Jul 2003, 03:34
How will this BIG move effect the TR franchise!?! Can Cystal Dynamics (makers of Soul Reaver) duplicate the same amount of sucess Core Design did on the series!?! The title is going from it's born and raised UK company to a US studio. This is the border line of life and death for Lara Croft:( NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

TR: AOD comes out all buggy with bad controls......the game gets blamed for the new TR movie sequel doing so poorly at the box office.....and now this!

GOD, this has been a horrible year for us TR fans:(

Umah Bloodomen
31st Jul 2003, 04:02
Originally posted by billvolc
How will this BIG move effect the TR franchise!?! Can Cystal Dynamics (makers of Soul Reaver) duplicate the same amount of sucess Core Design did on the series!?! The title is going from it's born and raised UK company to a US studio. This is the border line of life and death for Lara Croft:( NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Have CD even made an attempt yet? No. Do we know for sure what they plan on doing and not doing with the franchise? No. I think a lot of you are jumping to conclusions way too soon. (This is the first day of hearing of this for crying out loud). Eidos is still a UK corporation while CD is a US aspect of that *bigger picture*. I understand a lot of you still hold animosity towards Eidos for the AOD-problems, however you shouldn't knock what is planned for the future, until you have physical proof that it's bad.

PaulZ108
31st Jul 2003, 04:17
Originally posted by LaraAngelOfDarkness

2. Will they continue the Trilogy?

I certainly hope not...

Omega_Weapon
31st Jul 2003, 11:40
Here's my guess:

1. They'll be slower at getting TR games out. More patience will now be asked of TR fans as a result. I don't know if I have it for an aging series hat's only getting more lackluster. They've never done a TR game before, nevertheless a GOOD one to create miracles and sell millions of copies that Eidos will no doubt expect from them. Such will take time, and lots of it too.

2. It'll probably never occur to decision-makers at Eidos that TR: AOD's sales were also hurt by the fact that, ignoring the bugs, the game wasn't really anything new. Sure they tried to "darken" the story, but the game itself still played out like previous TR's in terms of entering a level, figuring your way to the next, and so on.......Remove all the game's glitches, and what you get is a mediocre action game that's a little too heavily inspired by Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid.

3. Yes they'll change it drastically. They'll want to add their own two cents to make more of their own, as well as it's all but guaranteed that Eidos will demand it changed to make it more "marketable."

4. More 3rd party advertising. I expect the next one to look more like a NASCAR game with all the blatant promotionals in the game. I don't know why; I just do expect it. Maybe it was the way Lara was such a marketing tool in the current movie. Where's her frickin Land Rover??! Sorry if they didn't pay what Jeep pays, but the Land Rover is still better. That's like James Bond without his Aston Martin. Boo, you tools!!!!

billvolc
31st Jul 2003, 16:22
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
Have CD even made an attempt yet? No. Do we know for sure what they plan on doing and not doing with the franchise? No. I think a lot of you are jumping to conclusions way too soon. (This is the first day of hearing of this for crying out loud). Eidos is still a UK corporation while CD is a US aspect of that *bigger picture*. I understand a lot of you still hold animosity towards Eidos for the AOD-problems, however you shouldn't knock what is planned for the future, until you have physical proof that it's bad.

Sorry for all the negativity on my original post on how I felt about the TR franchise moving to Cystal Dynamics. I got some sleep and now I have positive thoughts......:)

With TR in CD's hands they could make it much better then Core has latley......full of new ideas, giving the series a fresh new start. I think the longer a company goes with a game series, the more mistakes they will make in the future. I'm not saying Core did a horrible job on the series, but TR: AOD didn't quite turn out the way it was hyped to be. I'm sure a lot of you would agree.

I'm just curious if CD is going to change the CG look of Lara Croft or just have Core Design pass over the new game engine to them? I have a ton of questions, but so little answers!!! I'll be glued to my PC for the next few weeks doing research.

I just hope CD releases an official press statement on their plans for the franchise soon!

Umah Bloodomen
31st Jul 2003, 22:49
Sorry for all the negativity on my original post on how I felt about the TR franchise moving to Cystal Dynamics. I got some sleep and now I have positive thoughts......:)

No worries, billvolc. It's understandable. :)

I just hope CD releases an official press statement on their plans for the franchise soon!

I wouldn't expect anything too soon. They have LOKD and Whiplash to attend to ATM. There are three teams at CD, so perhaps they will organize their thoughts prior to releasing an indepth statement. Patience is a virtue. ;)

tomb_raiding
31st Jul 2003, 23:11
Originally posted by Xcom

Its called a Vampuera ;)

ahch2003
1st Aug 2003, 01:24
I think that CD will make a perfect TR game. One of the reasons is that its imposible make a worst TR game as AOD.

The only things that I really hope want to see on the next from CD are:

1- More realistic moves, BUT NOT SO SLOW!! lara moves (run and turns) are ridiculous (ridiculous is well writted?) slow .

2- The new lara´s Look: must be more like a real person, not like a cartoon!

3-More RPG! more place to buy or sell items, weapons, etc. Maps as the clasics TR games + "Town Maps" when you can find missions, items, helpers, etc. + Travel Maps so you can be stopped by enemies when lara travels from one place to other (like in Fallout).

4- REAL WEAPONS DAMAGE: ONE BULLET ON THE HEAD AND "THE END"

5- No unlimited ammo More hand to hand combat.

6- Vheicles, PLEASE!!! THE WHELS MUST BACK!!!

7-The Story of the actually TR MUST end on TR AOD. The next one must star from Zero!.... that meaning: no more kurtis!

8- Extra playable character like in Baldur´s Gate or fallout (but all in 3D game style of course).

9- Multiplayer options: against other players or the computer (like on UT2003) so when you ends the game can continue playing in personalized games.

I think that is all .... for now...

nowalruses
1st Aug 2003, 01:41
I think most fans have worries about the series. But, probably no more than they had after the release of AoD. We should just wait and see before we freak out too much.

Aquarius
1st Aug 2003, 03:53
From what I understand, Eidos is only contracting CD to do the work that Core was doing with AoD. This is only my perception of what I've heard, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eidos makes up the storyline, plotline, and whatever else that Lara is doing and wherever the TR series is headed. Core only took those ideas and put them into graphics and voila! We have a completed game. So, if CD is replacing Core then all CD will be doing is to take Eidos's vision and making it into a 3-D reality.

And also from what I had heard, with the work that Core was doing, TR7 was supposed to be released at the end of the calendar year this year. Now that CD has taken over, a 2005 release date for TR7 is being projected.... :(

io_
1st Aug 2003, 03:57
I’m sure it will be a good change, because CD is a subsidiary of Eidos/Core

io_
1st Aug 2003, 16:14
Plus if it all comes to NOT with the TR series.

Remember we have the level editor and imagination, and that in infinite.

Lara will for now and ever, be exploring the tomb raider tombs and artifacts of our hearts

~oDonutXo~
1st Aug 2003, 21:20
Originally posted by ahch2003

7-The Story of the actually TR MUST end on TR AOD. The next one must star from Zero!.... that meaning: no more kurtis!

8- Extra playable character like in Baldur´s Gate or fallout (but all in 3D game style of course).

9- Multiplayer options: against other players or the computer (like on UT2003) so when you ends the game can continue playing in personalized games.

Why would you get rid of Kurtis if you want to have an extra playable character? Is that not what he is? Sounds more like you want Tomb Raider to turn into a fighting-style game.

LaraAngelOfDarkness
1st Aug 2003, 22:41
Originally posted by ~oDonutXo~
Why would you get rid of Kurtis if you want to have an extra playable character? Is that not what he is? Sounds more like you want Tomb Raider to turn into a fighting-style game.

I didn't quite get that one either. :confused:

maniac44
2nd Aug 2003, 01:30
Originally posted by Aquarius
From what I understand, Eidos is only contracting CD to do the work that Core was doing with AoD. This is only my perception of what I've heard, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eidos makes up the storyline, plotline, and whatever else that Lara is doing and wherever the TR series is headed. Core only took those ideas and put them into graphics and voila! We have a completed game. So, if CD is replacing Core then all CD will be doing is to take Eidos's vision and making it into a 3-D reality.

OK, I'll correct you. CORE comes up with the story lines. Eidos has nothing to do with the design/storyline of the game.

~oDonutXo~
2nd Aug 2003, 01:34
I thought Eidos were just the producers of Tomb Raider:confused:

Umah Bloodomen
2nd Aug 2003, 01:37
Publisher, actually.