PDA

View Full Version : SB Live Digital problem

mersey
30th Jul 2003, 12:30
I have been playing TRAOD for many weeks now since i found out what was causing the game to hang, My problem is i have just installed the sb Live digial sound card i was using internal sound AC'97 before this and had no problems, after a while into the game the screen goes black and hangs with a TRrrr sound coming from the PC i have to reset the pc and start again

Have turned off onboard Sound and remove old sound drivers
have installed most upto date Driver for the SB Live card

Here is My Specs Athlon xp2000+ Chipset VIA KM266 AGP ti4200 DirectX9 ram 512megs sound card (SB Live Digital)

would anyone be able to help out. :(

John Carter
31st Jul 2003, 01:09
I had that problem with several games using that card, and did the same thing you did, uninstalled old drivers and installed the newest ones. Didn't fix the problem, changed over to SB Audigy 2 Value, haven't had those problems since.

Somebody may know a better answer, but that's the one I was forced to go to.

mersey
31st Jul 2003, 08:19
thanks john, yeah also have the same thing happen in Star Trek Elite Force II you may be right i'll not give up Just yet, tried all the sound tweaks like lowering sound acceleration and things it's just you need to play the game for a while to see if it works or not like from 10mins to 55mins.

How much was your Audigy sound card.

MunkeeChum
31st Jul 2003, 10:12
Creative drivers are a bit pants and they hardly ever release new ones.

I remember someone posting a while back about some good third party drivers, so I'm off to look for them.

John Carter
31st Jul 2003, 11:53
Originally posted by mersey
thanks john, yeah also have the same thing happen in Star Trek Elite Force II you may be right i'll not give up Just yet, tried all the sound tweaks like lowering sound acceleration and things it's just you need to play the game for a while to see if it works or not like from 10mins to 55mins.

How much was your Audigy sound card.

At the time I bought it, it was about $105, around 3 months ago. I ordered the value version "white box" without all the flashy documentation and extra stuff that went with the retail version.

mersey
31st Jul 2003, 12:38
Its funny how such a Major Sound card company can make excellent hardware but the software part of the company sucks, i saw that third party driver yesterday can't remember its name will try it, oh i am amazed how eidos got away with TRAOD hope car companys don't follow there example.

I wonder if i should just go back to my onboard AC'97 sound i'll miss the soundeffects of the SB Live but ,as john suggested go for the Audigy 2 at £70 not to bad but thought the SB Live would be all i would need for EAX sound on TRAOD thats why i bought the card in the first place.

mersey
2nd Aug 2003, 00:51
just to let you know how i got on as no one apart from John has given me much help with my problem.
Right have remove SB live card back to AC'97 intergrated sound TRAOD works excellent, i am pissed off with creative and with anyone connected with this card why waste a good bit of hardware just because the software ASS H**** won't do wot there payed to do (SORT OUT F in BUGS) as u can see im angry i spent 6 days trying to get the SB live card to not crash to a black screen and Trrrr on this game, im not stupit i know hardware and it's limitation on the PC have been at it 4 23 years My God the Amiga 1200 had better software support 4 it's hadware.