PDA

View Full Version : Why is this game so Sluggish?

RiGoRmOrTiS
29th Jul 2003, 21:53
System Spec:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz (HT Enabled)(800Mhz FSB)
Asus P4C800 Deluze Mobo
2GB of Corsair XMS Xtreme Speed DDR400 (800Mhz DDDR Mode)
Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
2 v 120GB Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 7200RPM 8MB Cache in Striping RAID
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

why the hell is this game so laggy? even in pretty low resolutions and detail settings.

I can run some seriously intensive games like Asherons Call 2, Morrowind, Doom 3 Alpha, Star Wars Galaxies at insane resolutions and details settings without so much as a hiccup.

but this average looking game with the odd fancy bit of bump mapping runs like a dog at 1024x768 and only 2 sample FSAA. (lags with FSAA off too.. while upping the resolution to compensate for the jagged edges)

did they forget to optimise the game after their code monkeys thumped out reams of code with their elephant-esk fingers.

MunkeeChum
29th Jul 2003, 23:24
While I can't give you an answer to your question I would like your permission to drool over your fantastic system...

SnAcKeR
30th Jul 2003, 15:50
nice system

your answer is sh1t game engine and lack of optimisation.

hda
30th Jul 2003, 16:53
very impressive system :)

i've the strange felling of beeing a beta-tester working at home, paying for the software i'm testing ...

Case
31st Jul 2003, 17:46
Doom 3 Alpha

Someone should smack you, thats the alpha. You're making conclusions on the alpha, are you retarded or something?

RiGoRmOrTiS
31st Jul 2003, 18:04
Case, your not very bright are you. I really shouldn’t need to explain the significance of running a game still in its alpha phase of development better than a publicly released game with mediocre graphics. (running only marginally faster than your brain).

ok, a little help for the learning impaired…such as yourself. the doom 3 engine at “alpha” is buggy, crappy unfinished code. However it is still more feature rich than Tomb Raider's graphics engine… yet, it runs faster !

Understand now? the point I was making? Guess not.

mctronken
31st Jul 2003, 22:19
Maybe it's due to PC version is a bad PS2 conversion ?

I had same speed problem with Silent Hill 2 PC version. The engine was really slow on the PC.

I've read in the forums that the TRAOD PS2 version is really slow in some screens.

Case
1st Aug 2003, 06:15
No, I am afraid I don't understand since your message was littered and saturated with incoherent attempts at sarcasm and condescension. Why dont you try again? There is no "Three strikes, you're out here."

RiGoRmOrTiS
1st Aug 2003, 07:44
your the only one who thinks my posts are incoherent, what does that say about you? my estimates of your iq and age are lowering on a post by post basis. Either your extremley dense or your an Eidos\Core Fanboy. all you've done is throw abuse back with no explanation as to your first complaint. Either "YOU" post coherently or the thread should be locked before your foolishness really wreaks it.

... if your mentally handicapped I apologize.

RiGoRmOrTiS
1st Aug 2003, 07:45
Originally posted by mctronken
Maybe it's due to PC version is a bad PS2 conversion ?

I had same speed problem with Silent Hill 2 PC version. The engine was really slow on the PC.

I've read in the forums that the TRAOD PS2 version is really slow in some screens.

i'd love to know where they pulled the minimum spec from :)

Case
1st Aug 2003, 13:38
Originally posted by RiGoRmOrTiS
your the only one who thinks my posts are incoherent, what does that say about you? my estimates of your iq and age are lowering on a post by post basis. Either your extremley dense or your an Eidos\Core Fanboy. all you've done is throw abuse back with no explanation as to your first complaint. Either "YOU" post coherently or the thread should be locked before your foolishness really wreaks it.

... if your mentally handicapped I apologize.

Lets end this here, had you argued that "Because you could run the Alpha, retail Doom 3 would run smoothly as well" I would have a case (No pun intended), my mistake, jus' that the posts i'm used to with "Doom 3 Alpha" involve people making conclusions about the final Doom 3 game.

I'm not an Eidos/Core Fanboy, but I am a Doom 3 Fanboy :D

I have two problems with TR:AOD myself,
1) In Monstrum City Madness/Killings/whatever, the sewers are completely black, no textures rendered.
2) The new control scheme in TR:AOD blows goats. It would be easier to drive a car after having your arms crushed by a tank than controlling Lara TR:AOD.

mersey
4th Aug 2003, 21:15
Look i don't now whats wrong with you system but mine (TI 4200 XP2000 KM266 512MEG) Runs this game and all Demos and Games with No Problem AT ALL at full Graphic Quality and at a Fast Smooth Speed, You wanna look at what you have done to your High Spec System, you should have no problems with slow downs and stuff like that.

RiGoRmOrTiS
4th Aug 2003, 21:25
sure it does..

the only problem i have is with Tomb Raider.. i think i made that quite clear. any other gamed run super smooth.. that includes insanly intensive games like star wars galaxies, Ahserons call 2, morowind.. yadaa yadaa yadaa.

but i've already said this.

mersey
5th Aug 2003, 14:34
Then the TRAOD software dos not like the Radeon 9800, or if your just generaly saying that TRAOD game is slugish and not as responsive as other Games out there then i totaly Agree, theres not alot you can do change this, Eidos & Core would need to Re-program the game totaly