PDA

View Full Version : Defiant Order

Baby_drew
29th Jul 2003, 12:36
If your anything like me everytime a new game is released in the LOK series you replay the whole series just before release.......thing is with all this time hopping im not sure what is the correct order?

should it be series order e.g. BO1, BO2, SR1, SR2

OR Release Order e.g. BO1, SR1, SR2, BO2

OR Linear Order e.g. End of SR2, Begining of SR2, BO1, BO2, Middle of SR2, SR1 ?

Any thoughts?

gleow
29th Jul 2003, 14:27
Though I haven't had the chance to replay the games, I've been wondering about this myself, espescially since I started playing the series in release order backwards. Comes from being new to the series and being introduced to the newest release first, heehee. :D

Apocrypha Roxy
29th Jul 2003, 17:24
Play them in order of the series:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2

Don't forget to have a notebook handy, take notes, key points. Then compare them and whatnot.

And THEN when you play Defiance, take notes of what happens. Then you compare that to your previous notes. It will make things clearer.

That's what I intend to do...

I also love the alphabet... :p

Matt from Spam Buddies
29th Jul 2003, 18:02
I'm lazy, so I'm just gonna second Roxy.

That's the way they should be played.

I have also nothing against playin them in release order, but I have a big NAY for linear order. It's bad.

- Matthew

InsaneScorpion331
29th Jul 2003, 18:49
as of right now, i`m playing blood omen, and i have already played soul reaver 2, and after BO1, i`m replaying Soul Reaver again. I`m skipping BO2 for obvious reasons. *no offence CD and Eidos :D *

KainSyndrome101
29th Jul 2003, 22:35
If you knew nothing about the series, it would probably be in your best interest to play them in release order because in SR2, the paradox at the end greatly affects the story of BO2. You should know what caused it before you play BO2 because Vorador is in it, because if you didn't know, you'd be scratching your head and wondering why he's still alive if you played BO1 before BO2 and not SR1 and SR2 along with BO1 before you played BO2. Oh, whatever.

TheElderGodofNosgoth
29th Jul 2003, 23:00
I agree compleatly with KainSyndrome101. In the release order (BO:LoK, LoK:SR, SR2, BO2, LoK:D) of the games is critical to the understanding of the plot. Each sequal draws upon its predisosor (SP?). You would not watch the Back to the Future series in the order of III, I, II just becase the events in the movies happened that way in a fictitous history.

Adrian Tepes
30th Jul 2003, 00:15
I think that in order for the complexity of the storyline to be fully appreciated, the games must be played in the order of thier initial releases.

For instance, the Serafan priests' tomb in Soul Reaver 1 wouldn't quite have the same impact to the player if he had no previous knowledge of the Serafan's role in Nosgoth. It would leave the player wondering about the past and how these priests were involved.

Also, when I came upon the remains of Nupraptor's retreat in this same game, I was floored by how Nosgoth had changed and yet how it was directly related to BO1. Without playing BO1 first, the player will not really be impacted by the shocking changes in Nosgoth..

The same goes for Kain. If one plays SR1 first and not BO1, one has no idea about this man's exploits and how his attitude and demeanor greatly changed from an arrogant noble to a seemingly bloodthirsty demon.

EDIT: These games were designed to give the player only a small amount of the story and keep him pondering and re-evaluating his hypotheses. If they are played out of order, this is taken away from the gamer due to the revealation of secrets prematurely.

I suppose it doesn't matter to the veterans of the series however, to the newcomers it makes all the difference.

Sarxis
30th Jul 2003, 00:30
I've always replayed the series in release order, but only because the story makes more sense that way.

gleow
30th Jul 2003, 02:07
Does it, Sarxis and Adrian? Prior to this thread, I thought my friend had made a mistake in saying that BO2 was the newest release. It's only now I realize he was right. SR2 as the lastest release would have made much more sense to me. I thought it rounded off better, and paved the way for more releases.

For instance, the Serafan priests' tomb in Soul Reaver 1 wouldn't quite have the same impact to the player if he had no previous knowledge of the Serafan's role in Nosgoth. It would leave the player wondering about the past and how these priests were involved.

The same goes for Kain. If one plays SR1 first and not BO1, one has no idea about this man's exploits and how his attitude and demeanor greatly changed from an arrogant noble to a seemingly bloodthirsty demon.

I fully agree with you on these 2 counts Adrian. I was completely bamboozled by what was going on in BO2 and SR2 when I played them but on the contrary, that only spurred me on to find out as much about the series as possible since there was obviously so much more to the story.

I'd wondered about Kain; how could one whom had been human himself at one point have so much contempt for them? Although I haven't played BO1 (it's impossible to find here, and too expensive to order) I've made do with the dialogue and the info found on NR and dark-chronicle, and I've found that pretty comprehensive and helpful in helping me to understand and appreciate the complex storyline and characters

Apocrypha Roxy
30th Jul 2003, 02:29
Actually... you could play them both in chronological and release order.

This way, you get the chronological aspect, from begining to start.
But you also see what radical changes have taken place, due to paradoxes and whatnot. But that's why I mentioned the notebook, compare and contrast!

For new gamers: release. For those experienced, go chronological.

And don't forget your notebooks. :)

Matt
30th Jul 2003, 06:50
I'll third (fourth, fifth, whatever) Roxy with their order.

Matt

punkst4r
30th Jul 2003, 20:56
What I did was record them on tape according to release dates because that's pretty much the chronological order.:D :D

Apocrypha Roxy
31st Jul 2003, 15:39
You know what I meant! :p

(And if you didn't - BO1, BO2, SR1, SR2, DEFIANCE!) ;)

InsaneScorpion331
31st Jul 2003, 15:44
i myself am a longtime fan of the series, i just played the games so much and i have the general feel of the storyline so playing em in order is something i dont feel like doing, i now play these games for enjoyment.

punkst4r
31st Jul 2003, 19:09
Originally posted by Apocrypha Roxy
Actually... you could play them both in chronological and release order.

This way, you get the chronological aspect, from begining to start.
But you also see what radical changes have taken place, due to paradoxes and whatnot. But that's why I mentioned the notebook, compare and contrast!

For new gamers: release. For those experienced, go chronological

Originally posted by Apocrypha Roxy
You know what I meant! :p

(And if you didn't - BO1, BO2, SR1, SR2, DEFIANCE!) ;)
:eek: I didn't completely read your first post...I pretty much repeated everything you wrote.:o :p sorry

Apocrypha Roxy
2nd Aug 2003, 16:15
Ish okay!