PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Load Times...help!

JFork36
27th Jul 2003, 17:05
Okay, okay, so I've got a Pentium II processor. So explain to me how my computer can load up GTA:Vice City and Splinter Cell lickety-split, and yet TR:AOD takes so long I've almost given up playing it (I'm in Hall of Seasons where you're constantly loading up new areas). Seriously, it takes anywhere from 30-45 seconds to load an area (big ones take a full minute...I timed it!) and even going to the pause screen takes about 7 seconds for it to even come up. The game ITSELF runs very smoothly which is why I'm confused as to why everything's so clunky outside the actual game. Help me out! What can I do to speed things along aside from getting a new processor?? (video and sound drivers are current)

CyCro
27th Jul 2003, 19:49
Same here, but that's not a reason for me to quit playing. ;)

JFork36
27th Jul 2003, 21:16
The Hall of the Beast? Which is so trial-and-error it feels like a room from Dragon's Lair? Now throw in minute-long load times between each death. I almost ate my face off.

L Croft
28th Jul 2003, 08:17
I have the same problem, my solution is to read a book while its loading, or tidy my room or something like that :D

CyCro
28th Jul 2003, 10:55
Originally posted by JFork36
The Hall of the Beast? Which is so trial-and-error it feels like a room from Dragon's Lair? Now throw in minute-long load times between each death. I almost ate my face off.

I had to reload in that level a lot of times, too... but it's nothing to stop me form going on! :)

jeocan
28th Jul 2003, 19:08
Well at least you can play! Mine crashes everytime the statue starts to crumble! I mean EVERY time! I have updated my drivers, downloaded the patch, even uninstalled and reinstalled the game and the patch. grrrrr I started the game from the beginning. Obviously saved in different slots in different places....same thing. Wouldn't be so bad if it crashed to my desktop, but it just freezes! I have to turn off the computer manually and start it all up again. Any ideas what the problem could be? Also when Lara dies (often) and I try to load the game at the last save. It locks up. All I can see is a faint shadow of the health bar. gggggrrrrrrr

JFork36
28th Jul 2003, 21:11
Seems to me those folks at Core/Eidos could have made this version of TR a little more friendly for those computers which have been able to play all of Lara's exploits from the beginning. I realize the graphics have to get better, but come on. I'm the world's biggest Tomb Raider fan and I scarcely have the patience to put up with this one. I guess those load times will give me a chance to catch up on Harry Potter...

jeocan
28th Jul 2003, 21:51
or paint the kitchen!:rolleyes:

CyCro
28th Jul 2003, 22:18
Originally posted by jeocan
Any ideas what the problem could be?

That thing happened to me in the cut scene in the bar in Paris. The solution for me was to enable the Basic CoreAudio 3D Panning on the Sound tab of the game settings. You can try and see if it works for you. Don't know about your second problem, though... :( Do you have the frame rate compensation set to Fast?

jeocan
29th Jul 2003, 02:22
Thanks CyCro:) I enabled basic coreaudio 3D? Whatever that means? I'll try that and let you know. Somehow with my luck I doubt it. My frame rate compensation is set to fast. Is that a problem?

jeocan
29th Jul 2003, 02:49
:( Well I enabled basic coreaudio 3D. That didn't work either. Maybe this information might help. I can hear everything perfectly. The crumbling of the statue and the wind. The game SOUNDS like it's working, but the video is frozen? I saw that scene once, Lara fell to her death. I reloaded at my last saved game slot and it hasn't worked since????? I've tried other saved game slots so that's not the problem either? Also right when I start the game in the top left corner this flashes for about a second: "enumerating audio devices". Is that normal? I must be nuts! anybody would have given up by now!