PDA

View Full Version : Coop

Virus
25th Jul 2003, 00:03
You know i just remembered they were working on a coop mod for DX1 but then they just stopped. That annoyed me to hell...i was soo looking forward to coop cause that wouldve been sweet. Anyway - is there any cooperative options in dx2?

Big Ragu
25th Jul 2003, 01:25
Don't bet the farm.

SShadow
25th Jul 2003, 02:27
Ya i'm with Ragu on this one I doubt there will be any co-op missions.

~Shadow

Virus
25th Jul 2003, 03:53
*sigh*

i guess ill never get to tell a teammate to "distract the guys with the big guns" while I hack the security mainframe...

I would tell the coop team to start a coop mod for dx2 but they have a bad record of slacking on updates for that coop mod

Hannibal
28th Jul 2003, 19:36
No multiplayer.

Thank you, Ion Storm, for making the wise decision that so many outfits can't make. It's not worth watering down the single-player version to accomodate a token multiplayer.

Trollslayer
28th Jul 2003, 19:57
Originally posted by Hannibal
No multiplayer.

Thank you, Ion Storm, for making the wise decision that so many outfits can't make. It's not worth watering down the single-player version to accomodate a token multiplayer.

Amen to that.

Some companies nowadays just seem to dump it all on MP as if it would save their games. Two recent decisons let me slightly curious regarding this matter. One, was that Epic Games decided not to add a Multiplayer Mode to Unreal 2 (then again given they released UT2K3, they might not've thought it was worth it). :confused: And the other decision was with the upcoming Fallout 3 (codename Van Buren) which will have Multiplayer :eek:

World getting stranger...

Dark[NSF]
12th Oct 2003, 04:13
Why would MP water down SP? It just requires more time to code, big deal, they are uber coders? Are you undermining there skillz?

NamelessOne
12th Oct 2003, 04:18
Its a matter of time. They are great coders, but the time they spend making a multiplayer portion could be spent making an EVEN better singleplayer part.

Lawnboy360
12th Oct 2003, 04:26
And the other decision was with the upcoming Fallout 3 (codename Van Buren) which will have Multiplayer

I've heard rumors about Fallout 3 being in development, but where did you learn it would have MP?

NamelessOne
12th Oct 2003, 06:43
One of the devs mentioned it I think. The publisher (Interplay) is forcing them to put it in, they didn't want to.

Godwin
12th Oct 2003, 09:19
game devs cash in on MP because it gives practically unlimited replay value, games like BF1942, giving endless hours of fun online, without having to pay monthly subscriptions, people crave interaction with other humans, and so they will buy the game to play with their friends online

but DXIW's situation is different, the gameplay is different, its SP alone already gives a lot of replay value

so it's wrong to say
"Some companies nowadays just seem to dump it all on MP as if it would save their games. Two recent decisons let me slightly curious regarding this matter. One, was that Epic Games decided not to add a Multiplayer Mode to Unreal "

of course it would save their game, because without MP, people would not buy the game, it's just one scripted SP track without variation, and it gets boring
and anyway UT2k4 looks to be a fun MP game

Trollslayer
12th Oct 2003, 10:20
Originally posted by Godwin
game devs cash in on MP because it gives practically unlimited replay value, games like BF1942, giving endless hours of fun online, without having to pay monthly subscriptions, people crave interaction with other humans, and so they will buy the game to play with their friends online

but DXIW's situation is different, the gameplay is different, its SP alone already gives a lot of replay value

so it's wrong to say
"Some companies nowadays just seem to dump it all on MP as if it would save their games. Two recent decisons let me slightly curious regarding this matter. One, was that Epic Games decided not to add a Multiplayer Mode to Unreal "

of course it would save their game, because without MP, people would not buy the game, it's just one scripted SP track without variation, and it gets boring
and anyway UT2k4 looks to be a fun MP game

How is it wrong? Many companies do this. MP doesn't instantly guarantee replay value. If we're talking of a game focused solely on MP (like a MMOG), its obvious the only replayability people are going to get out of it is playing in multiplayer. However, games with a singleplayer component, that also include a multiplayer component, don't automatically indicate the replayability will be tied to the MP functionality of it. As much as a SP experience can get repetitive, it can also be made in a way it won't need MP.

exo
13th Oct 2003, 18:15
Co-op with a complicated game like deus ex 2 would be a long and pain staking task.

Some developers remedy this by dumbing down the gameplay, with a game like deus ex 2 that would cause an uproar. Better to not implement at all then to delay the game another year or two or sacrifice the complicated works of the game.

If you don't understand why it's hard to implement a co-op proper then go make your own game.

Fuzz
13th Oct 2003, 19:12
well then they should do what they did last time. Release a quality SP game and then after a few months release a MP patch for download. Simple and Effective.

Trollslayer
13th Oct 2003, 20:02
Originally posted by Fuzz
well then they should do what they did last time. Release a quality SP game and then after a few months release a MP patch for download. Simple and Effective.

That was simple but it certainly wasn't effective. The MP was quite weak. The original game code wasn't built to support MP, and the end result with MP just being slapped over didn't satisfy. Thats why Warren did the smart move of deciding not to include it in any way in DX:IW.