PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card upgrade for Invisible War?

Major
24th Jul 2003, 16:33
Thinking of a graphics card upgrade. What would be nice at this time for me to purchase that will be compatible with playing Invisible War?

HP pavilioin 7955
1.5 Pentium 4
512 Ram
G-Force 3 Ti
Sound Blaster Audigy

SShadow
24th Jul 2003, 18:52
Get the 512 RAM, the 3 TI and if possible get the 4. Other than that if you are feelin it get the audigy. :(

~Shadow

Major
24th Jul 2003, 22:47
:rolleyes: I already have the above mentioned. I should have mentioned it. Sorry! What I mean is where should I go from the G-Force 3 Ti (that I already have) to something a tad better. Went to Best Buy thinking I knew what to look for, but came out a bit confused. Looked at the new Nvidia FX cards. Prices jump all over the place. If not mistaken Invisible War should be able to work on the new FX cards. Seen a close out on Nvidia G-Force 4 Ti cards for $169.00. Was tempted, but I have a feeling the FX series is what I should upgrade to. Still not sure what to do??????

Mr.Tellurian
24th Jul 2003, 23:17
Well I guess you want a new graphics board for the future and not just for IW. Better pick an FX or Radeon (around the 9500 Series) to get all the DX9 stuff.
Personally I'd take a Radeon, 9700 or 9700Pro... With the new 9800(Pro) on the market they shouldnt be that expensive and should last a while. Let's say you should be able to play DX, HL2 and D3 with that. In a quite decent quality - wich is actually just my personal guess as I haven't played anyone of the three (besides that I don't have such an graphics board) ;)

Major
25th Jul 2003, 05:02
Thanks for the advice. I have looked at some of the Radeon cards. The prices for the Pro Series is about $300.00 and up. Maybe I should have picked up the Nvidia G-Force 4 TI card for $169.00. Those things used to cost $300.00 and people seem to be happy with them. I hear Radeon runs on the hot side and does not last as long as Nvidia cards? I'll just keep on looking around and asking questions.

Mr.Tellurian
25th Jul 2003, 10:17
Well... Depends on who you ask. There are NVidia Followers who despise ATI and vice versa.
I myself have a Radeon9800Pro running in my big machine. That was kind of an investment and a big change as my last 3 Boards have been from Nvidia. So I consider myself neither a "fan" "follower" or whatsoever of any of the two big Boardmakers.
Then again, I have to admit that I don't know about prices in your country. Personally I would rather try to get a R9500 or 9600 (Pro or non Pro... the pricial difference shouldn't be that big...) as they support DX9 Effects and are not quite more expensive than GF4's...
And be carefull about the GF4's. Do NOT take an 4800SE as that one is actually a 4400...
Actually the market has become quite unclear about which board is better than another espeacially with succesive numbers, special editions and stuff. :rolleyes:

Bio}{azard
25th Jul 2003, 15:26
i dont need to upgrade my gf4ti4400
but im going to anyway cause i can ;)

Major
26th Jul 2003, 03:43
Just purchased a G-Force 4 4200 today. Was on sale. I always wanted one when they first came out. They were $300.00. Could not afford it at the time so I ended up with a G-Force 3 Ti 200. It's done me a good job. I have noticed a better frame rate with the G-Force 4. I tried a G-Force FX 5200 today and had an awful time with it. Not sure what the problem was? Took it back and got the GF-4. Game play sure is smooth. :(

AlphaAssailant666
27th Jul 2003, 03:15
On Ebay I just got Ati 9700 for $192. I think i got a good deal what about you? Yay it came today.:D

Picasso
27th Jul 2003, 05:22
Alright, a few things to consider:

DX2 will require pixel and vertex shaders. If your video card doesn't have them, you're out of luck. Not even with low detail at horrible framerates, it just won't run period.

The following cards have the required shaders:

Nvidia: Any Geforce3, any Geforce4 Ti, any GeforceFX.
ATI: Any Radeon above 8500.

- One of Ion Storm's goals is to make the game playable (30 fps) on a Geforce3, so you don't NEED to upgrade if you don't want to.

- DO NOT buy a GF FX 5200. The 5200 is a budget card, and is actually slower than a GF4 4200 (thanks to Nvidia's devious marketing practices). The reason the 5200 you saw performed so poorly is because it is crap; don't waste your time with it.

- DO NOT buy a GF4 MX. They do not have the shaders that DX requires to run. A GF4 MX is basically a faster GF2, again, thank you Nvidia marketing.

- Buy online. At newegg.com you can get a GF4 Ti4200 for about 80 bucks.

- In general, a GF4 Ti is a much better value than a GF FX.

I just noticed that you already got the 4200, which is a good card, I have one myself. Anyway, I'm leaving all that stuff up there in case anyone else needs help.

ccc1005
27th Jul 2003, 05:44
I got an 8500 AIW DV, was thinking of upgrading to 9700 AIW PRO. Will my 8500 handle it, and if i do go to a 9700 how much better will it be for DX:IW, HL2 and D3?

Thanks

Major
27th Jul 2003, 07:38
:confused: I installed the new G-Force 4 Ti 4200 and noticed much better frame rate than with the G-Force 3 Ti card. I paid $180.00. That's with the taxes. I can still take it back to Circuit City with in 14 days from purchase. I was short on money to buy a G-Force 4 two years ago. I am glad it's better than the new FX 5200 cards. I brought a FX 5200 home the other day and never could get it to work? Went back and bought the G-Force 4. Can't beleive all of the graphics cards on the market. Each one has it's own personality.

Jovena
27th Jul 2003, 19:43
I just upgraded my GF3 64meg to the Radeon 9600 Pro 128 meg AGP. To test it out properly I tried it on a few of my higher end graphics required games. Morrowind, Splinter Cell, Free Lancer.
The game's looked and played great there was a very noticable improvement in graphics and smoothness of play, as I was able to max out the settings where as before I could not.

Anyway the card was $169.00 at Bestbuy and Compusa well worth the money. I had considered buying the 256 meg version but I had read that on the new GF4 at least, that the extra 128 megs you get, did not impact the performance enough to warrent the extra cost. Would like to know if anyone had experianced a vast improvement from 128-256 on 2 comparible cards, to see if this is true of most cards that have this option!

Major
27th Jul 2003, 21:31
Picasso: Sounds like you know what to look for in a graphic card. I did check out the web site you mentioned. They must have sold out of them? The most noticable thing I like about the new G-Force 4 4200 is the faster frame rate. I think the color is about the same as the G-3, but the detail is a tad better on the G-4. I will porbably keep the new G-4 card. Paid a bit too much for it. You lucked out getting your's for $80.00!
Jovena: I hear the Radeon Pro cards are very nice. A bit too much for me at this time. The FX 5200 card I brought home would not program correctly. Installation went okay, but when I would get to property settings and click on 800X600 and then click apply the screen went blank (black) or would get a black screen with several rows of letter (P)? It might have been that I never went and deleted the other drivers for the G-Froce 3 card? Too late now. I am happy with the G-4.

Picasso
27th Jul 2003, 23:32
In general, buying a video card from a local store is a ripoff. You can save a lot of money buying online. NewEgg is a very reputable dealer.

Hell, if you can afford a $180 video card, you might as well go for a Ti4800 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=1&submit=property&mfrcode=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4571,3668).

In any event, it sounds like you paid way more than you needed to, which is really typical with brick-and-mortar stores.

Jovena
28th Jul 2003, 00:37
Originally posted by Picasso
In general, buying a video card from a local store is a ripoff. You can save a lot of money buying online. NewEgg is a very reputable dealer.

Hell, if you can afford a $180 video card, you might as well go for a Ti4800 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=1&submit=property&mfrcode=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4571,3668).

In any event, it sounds like you paid way more than you needed to, which is really typical with brick-and-mortar stores.

I ordered my last Video card online, however after shipping to Alaska, the cost is almost equal to buying locally. The other advantage is if I have a problem with the card I can drive to where I purchased it as opposed to shipping it back. I am not even taking into account some of the horror stories I have heard about a few online resellers! Thank god I never had that issue. ;)

(update) ordering that Ti4800 from egghead would run me 200$ with shipping. For someone else that has better shipping rates and lives in the continental US it may be worth it. And just out of curiosity whats the difference between my Card and this one?
Both 128meg DDR, 8x agp, etc??? So frame rate and resolution are the major differences...or something else?

Picasso
28th Jul 2003, 02:58
Before you buy from an online retailer, always check them out:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

And yes, if the shipping ends up being huge, there's really no point.

Edit: Oh yeah, retail stores usually have more than their share of horror stories too. Usually having to do with incredibly incompetent salespeople.

And then there was the guy who bought a $400 video card from Best Buy, went home and opened up the box to find an obsolete, used dusty card from the same manufacturer. Some dumbass had bought the card, then returned his old one in the box, dumping someone else with a huge bill for a crap card. And of course Best Buy would refuse to take it back.

NoNicknameForMe
28th Jul 2003, 03:55
Thats a ****ing awsome idea... too bad its ilegal.

grayfox148
22nd Aug 2003, 01:52
Originally posted by Major
Thanks for the advice. I have looked at some of the Radeon cards. The prices for the Pro Series is about $300.00 and up. Maybe I should have picked up the Nvidia G-Force 4 TI card for $169.00. Those things used to cost $300.00 and people seem to be happy with them. I hear Radeon runs on the hot side and does not last as long as Nvidia cards? I'll just keep on looking around and asking questions.
u got it backwards but ati has 1 major problem there drivers the first versions of them r crap

grayfox148
22nd Aug 2003, 01:54
Originally posted by Picasso
Alright, a few things to consider:

DX2 will require pixel and vertex shaders. If your video card doesn't have them, you're out of luck. Not even with low detail at horrible framerates, it just won't run period.

The following cards have the required shaders:

Nvidia: Any Geforce3, any Geforce4 Ti, any GeforceFX.
ATI: Any Radeon above 8500.

- One of Ion Storm's goals is to make the game playable (30 fps) on a Geforce3, so you don't NEED to upgrade if you don't want to.

- DO NOT buy a GF FX 5200. The 5200 is a budget card, and is actually slower than a GF4 4200 (thanks to Nvidia's devious marketing practices). The reason the 5200 you saw performed so poorly is because it is crap; don't waste your time with it.

- DO NOT buy a GF4 MX. They do not have the shaders that DX requires to run. A GF4 MX is basically a faster GF2, again, thank you Nvidia marketing.

- Buy online. At newegg.com you can get a GF4 Ti4200 for about 80 bucks.

- In general, a GF4 Ti is a much better value than a GF FX.

I just noticed that you already got the 4200, which is a good card, I have one myself. Anyway, I'm leaving all that stuff up there in case anyone else needs help.

its the radeon 7500 and up

Picasso
22nd Aug 2003, 02:33
I did a search for "Radeon 7500" and "pixel shaders" and found:

The current 3D-solutions ATi Radeon 7500 as well as NVIDIA GeForce4 Go may have been launched quite a while after the release of DirectX 8, but none of the two come with programmable vertex or pixel shaders.

From here (http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20020829/).

Edit: And this (http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/video_cards/ati/radeon_7500_aiw/001.htm):

Equipped with the first-gen Charisma & Pixel Tapestry Engine, the Radeon 7500 is highly optimized for DirectX 7, while offering decent performance under DirectX 8 sans the support for Pixel Shaders, SmartShader and TrueForm.

Lawnboy360
22nd Aug 2003, 12:28
Yeah, it's definitely Radeon 8500 and up; the Radeon 8500 was ATi's GeForce3.