PDA

View Full Version : AOD Graphics clamped to 60fps ???

simulation
23rd Jul 2003, 21:18
I have been using FRAPS (an app that displays the fps while playing the game) to optimise my settings. It appears that AOD is clamped to 60 frames per second ???

I'm running a GeForce 4 Ti4400 128MB RAM on an Athlon 1700+ with 512MB RAM. Test was run with 1024x768 32bit 100hz and 1280x1025 32bit 85hz. In both cases the Windows XP display settings and games settings were matched.

I have double checked my kit by running the following:-

Xdiag Direct3D Test - 100 fps
Delta Force Black Hawk Demo (Direct3D) - up to 86 fps
Z Steel Soldiers (Open GL) - up to 100 fps

Didn't seem to matter what AOD setting were used (tried most combinations including turning off Multi Thread and Intel SSE).

I even back dated the driver to 40.72 from 44.03 which did show a general improvement when there is a lot of action going on.

Have I hit on a limitation?? or am I missing something?

Simulation

simulation
23rd Jul 2003, 23:20
A little update on my testing.

I noticed that with the nVidia 40.72 drivers I suffered from the PINK shaddows and items in the inventory which so many people have been complaining about.

So... I rebooted into Safe Mode and Uninstalled the 40.72 driver and reinstalled the 44.03 driver. No more PINK items etc. and the FPS seem the same as 40.72.

Maybe uninstalling/reinstalling is better than updating the driver???

Now for the bonus

The 44.03 driver has different options on the Performance & Quality page of the GeForce 4 Ti 4400 tab (Display Properties, Settings, Advanced button). Move the slider titled Intellisample(tm) - Performance to the middle and press OK.
I found that my FPS increased by about 10 fps

The game still appears to be capped at 60 fps, but at least it doesn't start slowing down when things get busy.

Simulation