PDA

View Full Version : I need a lot of help!

trplayer
22nd Jul 2003, 01:02
I have the Tomb Raider Level Editor and I am having problems getting things to happen, this is mainly due to the fact that I have no idea how to work the darn thing. OK, here are my problems. First of all, how do you set a switch, and please don't just copy-paste a part of the manual, I tried figuring it out with that but I had trouble. Second, while I was editing the level "Tomb of Seth" I built an add on. Now this was meant to be very secret but that stupid guide kept disclossing its location, so I thought, hey I'll just change the location of the AI Follows, however, when I did this I totally created a monster. He won't light the torch at the beginning of the level and he just follows Lara around, pushing her all over the place. I don't want to get rid of him because then the scene where Lara says "Ah my trusty assistant..." would make no sense in the story line at all (unless there is a way to get rid of this scene). I want to set him back to the way he was but I don't want him to show the secret that I have built into the level. I also want to know how to make my own levels, and why when I load certain TGA's from the Extra Textures folder does the program crash? For the making my own levels thing I would really appreciate very detailed instructions, and PLEASE don't use any computer abbreviations, I don't know what any of them mean, except for a few. If there is anyone who could answer one or more of these problems of mine I would really appreciate a response, thank you. Also if anyone knows how to delete a trigger please tell me.

LePerk
22nd Jul 2003, 08:28
Switch is easy.

Place door (or other object to be switched), place the switch. Click on the door. Now click on the square with the switch. Click on the purple trigger button. Now click on the switch. Click on the text next to the trigger button. Change trigger type to switch. Click the square below the switch, click purple trigger button.

Deleting triggers.

In the top left panel is a 2d map of the current room. Click on the purple trigger square until it has green outline. Press delete on your keyboard.

Playing around with the guides AI is advanced stuff, leave it alone until you become an advanced builder.

aktrekker
22nd Jul 2003, 10:24
Making your own levels...the tutorial teaches you the skills you need to be able to do that. It sounds like you skipped the tutorial and just jumped into the editing. You really should do the tutorial.
To make levels, you must create rooms, manipulate sectors to create geometry, texture everything, place lights, objects, etc. You learn how to do all that in the tutorial. It may seem boring, but it teaches you the basic, essential skills you will need to get started.

As for the problem with TGA files, I can only think of 2 possibilities.
1) The download was incomplete and/or the files are corrupt.
2) Maybe the files are read-only. Probably not this, but you never know.
Since you were able to unzip the files in the first place, I assume the download was ok. You might try unzipping the files again.
Does it crash on ALL of the extra textures or only some? Does it crash loading other textures?
Are you trying to load a new TGA file into an already textured project? This could cause problems if the old and new TGA files are not the same size, and especially if the are not the same width (some of the extra textures are 512 wide, but most are 256). Probably a freak occurrence.

EddyBones
22nd Jul 2003, 15:46
I think these textures he's adressing are the extras that came with the Level Editor. If this is the case, they didn't work for me either.
What I did was copy them and paste them into a new file using one texture set programs out there. Then you can give the new set any name you want, even the original name, and they should work properly.
This, of course, also works with downloaded texture sets too.

trplayer
22nd Jul 2003, 18:46
thank you all for your help. I did part of the tutorial but it really is annoying the way it just ****s around and can never get to the point, thats the main reason I decided to stop reading it. But I still need to know how to set up the AI follows features so that the guide goes to the right places and through the right actions.

aktrekker
23rd Jul 2003, 00:43
I found this thread that might lead you to a tutorial about the Guide.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4696&highlight=Guide

As for the LE tutorial being boring, it certainly can be. But unless you have experience with 3D graphics and map building, you really shouldn't just jump in. The boring part will be over soon, and you will have the basic skills to know how to build levels that you want to build.