PDA

View Full Version : AnyOne Dumb enough to buy this?

kh1
18th Jul 2003, 22:31
As a Tomb Raider of long standing - I own every one including the very first - why is this rubbish being pushed at us as if it was a decent game?
The content is iffy, to say the least. I feel as if I am simply being a passenger between the cut scenes. The controls are a nightmare. I have to save regularly and frequently because I'm not sure "I" can get around the next corner, figuratively speaking, before being blasted by some unexplainable happening - the guard in the theatre is a good example, who kills me every time I draw a weapon. The weapon cannot be loaded with ammo, so it is near enough to suicide. Such frustrating crap.
Why are there so many cut scenes? Is the plot so pathetically thin that it needs gluing together?
Now the controls. The only word to describe them is frustrating. We should not have to fight the illogicallity of them. Have you even thought about standardising them along the lines of decent, good value games such as MOHAA?
The whole thing smacks of rushed launch schedules. If this was any other product, from a pair of jeans to a burger, I would take it back for a full cash refund. Unfortunately games dont seem to fall into this category - why? I will be far, far more curcumspect when I have £30.00+ to spend on a so-called world class game from Core/Eidos in the future. You should be ashamed of yourselves!!!
Ken Halliday
57 years of age
Computer/Comms Consultant.

Dazed
18th Jul 2003, 22:36
/me waves..

Join the club m8... :p

I didnt buy a game.. I bought a beta-version..

moe888uk
18th Jul 2003, 22:39
I dont remember a theatre, hmm, what is the level called.

Also, all weapons can be loaded with ammo(if you had ammo). This is surely the first Ive heard of it.

Tipsko
18th Jul 2003, 22:44
I PROUDLY voted YES!! I bought both ps2 and pc version before i even played it, and no regrets ever! Like the game very much.

Tipsko

TR-AOD
18th Jul 2003, 23:11
Originally posted by kh1
The weapon cannot be loaded with ammo, so it is near enough to suicide. .

dont try to shoot him with the antique gun, ok it may have been state of the art when you were younger, but may i sugest a nice semi automatic pistol

Dazed
18th Jul 2003, 23:15
Originally posted by TR-AOD
dont try to shoot him with the antique gun, ok it may have been state of the art when you were younger, but may i sugest a nice semi automatic pistol

damn.. u must be as "melig" as I am now :P for a translation of that word please use the Dutch-English dictionary :D

Mangar The Dark
18th Jul 2003, 23:21
Originally posted by Tipsko
I PROUDLY voted YES!! I bought both ps2 and pc version before i even played it, and no regrets ever! Like the game very much.

Tipsko

Why would you buy two copies of the same game? I'm honestly not trying to make fun of you or start an argument, I'm just genuinely curious. Was one copy a gift for someone else? Or are the two versions really drastically different?

LARAMANIAC
18th Jul 2003, 23:21
Yes I bought it - PS2 version - love it - money well spent!!!! :D

Dazed
18th Jul 2003, 23:23
Originally posted by Mangar The Dark
Why would you buy two copies of the same game? I'm honestly not trying to make fun of you or start an argument, I'm just genuinely curious. Was one copy a gift for someone else? Or are the two versions really drastically different?

he prolly wanted a piece of the bugs everyone is talking about on the pc ;)

tomb_raiding
18th Jul 2003, 23:26
I think its the coolest (not best) TR game I've ever played
If there weren't much technical problems the Game would be AWSOME, CAN"T WAIT FOR THE NEXT TWO GAMES :D:D:)

tomb_raiding
18th Jul 2003, 23:30
Originally posted by Dazed
he prolly wanted a piece of the bugs everyone is talking about on the pc ;)

I've got it for the PC and I'm not Having much bugs, MAN Go get your self a good PC and enjoy the Game, ITS an amazing game (but i was hoping they finish it :( )

TR-AOD
18th Jul 2003, 23:35
Originally posted by tomb_raiding
I've got it for the PC and I'm not Having much bugs, MAN Go get your self a good PC and enjoy the Game, ITS an amazing game (but i was hoping they finish it :( )

i got a decent pc, should be well capable of running this game anyways, and i found it full of bugs. levels skipping, lara disapearing from the waist up, game crashes, invisible walls to hang/climb/walk around on, not to mention lara's limbs stretching across from one side of the screen to the other and firing two rounds of ammo for every 1 shot

oh yeah and i forgot to mention the walls that disapear too :mad:

Dazed
18th Jul 2003, 23:40

P4 2.4 Ghz, 512 DDR, ATI Radeon 9700 PRO, Epox 4PEA, 19" Iiyama VM pro 452

...the pc is just fine... its the game :)

LaraCroft_TombRaider
18th Jul 2003, 23:48
im a multi-millionarie.:D

Tipsko
18th Jul 2003, 23:58
Originally posted by Mangar The Dark

to be honest, I don't know :) just wanted to experience the game on both systems, also did it with metal gear solid 2. And Tomb Raider 1, from which I received the psx version a few days ago.

The console version for gameplay (play in a chair or on the couch, on the TV, no computer to start up etc.) and the PC version for quality gaming.

XanderD2
19th Jul 2003, 00:11

Ok, finally I tried it on my high-end rig (P4 3.02 GHz, 1 GB DDR, Ati Radeon 9800PRO, ThermalTake Xasar II chassis, Enermax 450W PS, Audigy 2, WinXP Pro SP1 + updates), it's still full of bugs. I wonder how you define the term 'bug'. Sure, there are no 'show stoppers', but there are lock-ups, control issues, etc. I'm not saying that the game is a complete failure because I enjoyed it, except for the Brother Obscura and Boaz boss battles.

For this reason, I voted 'NO'. The reasonable price for the Angel of Darkness would be about £20.

Nobody
19th Jul 2003, 00:22
I'm a Ziliobroke already but voted to be a Millionare...:D

tomb_raiding
19th Jul 2003, 00:27
WEEEELLLLL there are Lotsa bug but the Game is still playable, ........sometimes annoying..... hope they release a PATCH SOON :)

BkBaby999
19th Jul 2003, 02:17
it's buggy on my PS2 and I get no patch for it and I paid the same amount.....so no it wasn't worth it. $20 is more like it!

sercha
19th Jul 2003, 09:19
i voted yes. i loved it!!! cant wait till the next one:D

ermanmutlu
19th Jul 2003, 11:47
This is for kh1

If you do not like, do not play. Those cutscenes make the game meaningful. I mean there is a story right? If you just go ahead, and solve puzzles and kill evils, It would suck.While I am playing, I feel as I am watching a movie with a great story.Every game has bugs such as CM4(It has really much).

Anyway, look at the big picture, do not be frustrated with too much details.If so, do not play and do not make fun of our most popular game,TR.

I love you Lara!!!!!!!!;)

Riovanes
19th Jul 2003, 13:40
I think the man just got done stating he's got all the other games, and enjoyed them just fine.

When you've been a long-standing fan of a series, it's kind of NORMAL to be upset when a portion of it suddenly fails. If he's upset with his purchase, he has just as much right to complain as you have to praise it. Let's not go trying to tell people they can't express their opinion just because it doesn't match yours, okay?

And where do you get off saying he can't play the game because he's old? That's just stupid of you. First off, 57 isn't even that old anymore - it's a little more than half the life expectancy for a male in the US, so technically he's still quite young. Secondly, who do you think you are to be so disrespectful? If the guy's been around that long, clearly he's been able to see what quality is, and what it isn't - and I'd be more inclined to listen to the words of an older gamer who's got a good head on his shoulders and a decent background than I would to listen to some kid who loves the game just because Lara Croft is in it.

Edit: And by the way - you say "do not be frustrated with details." Those sound like the words of someone who hasn't the slightest clue what they're saying - details will make or break a game - because it's the LITTLE things that people notice. The main body of a game might be fine, but if a hangup or bug causes it to be unplayable, then that's kind of important, "detail" or not.

This is really the single most disrespectful thing I've ever read. Everyone has a right to their opinion - young or old - and to play the age card like that was just plain immature.

BAH!!!

Tomb Raider Fan
19th Jul 2003, 13:47
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
Yes I bought it - PS2 version - love it - money well spent!!!! :D

Exactly how i feel!

Katie_Fleming
19th Jul 2003, 15:29
I have never spent 80 bucks on anything so good in my life -- money well spent on a fantastic game

SilentWhisper
19th Jul 2003, 15:30
So far I love the game, one of my favorites at the moment in fact! (PS2)

kh1
19th Jul 2003, 15:40
Originally posted by TR-AOD

Hmm. I would suggest spelling lessons. Tell your teacher to make you stay in school during playtime for extra tuition.:p

kh1
19th Jul 2003, 15:43
damn.. u must be as "melig" as I am now :P for a translation of that word please use the Dutch-English dictionary :D

No need. Ik spreek en betje Nederlandse (sorry if the spellings a bit off);)

stillme
19th Jul 2003, 18:09
You know, I've heard a lot of bad about this game, and I've played them all. I don't know why people expect the same exact game over and over again. I mean, I did have to get used to the new controls and quirks (that was so for each and every game), but I try to go into every game with an open mind. I know they can never do TR 1 again, and to me, that one was my favorite. But I'm not going to condemn this one. Remember, games have advanced far since the last tomb raider...they have to try to keep up with the times. If they don't, they'll be hearing people complaining about how behind the times Squaresoft is and how nobody wants to play because the games are all the same and they're tired of playing the same game over and over again.

Myself, I like the new changes. I think they might have taken cues from splinter cell...I like the new stealth mode...trying to sneak up on the guards before they see or hear you. It's neat. Now that I've gotten used to the new controls, I like them too. You don't have to hold the X button down to keep hanging onto a ledge...that could get frustrating, and painful if you do it enough.

Over-all, I think it's tomb-raider with a modern edge. I mean, they try to keep it realistic...and how many tombs are there in the world? If that's all they did was tombs, it would be a little unrealistic. It's not just a video game, it's a moving story with each sequel. Now instead of just ending up at the tomb, they're taking us through the things she has to go through before she gets to them. They're taking us into the story that leads up to the tombs. I like it. It makes it a bit deeper than it was, and people were screaming for that before too. That Lara was a bit shallow and the game wasn't deep enough. I guess you can't please everyone though.

-Tracey

XanderD2
19th Jul 2003, 18:24
I guess the results of this poll will be a bit misleading. There should be a separate poll for the PC and the PS2 version. From the posts of the PS2 owners it appears that they are happy with their purchase, but the PC users rightfully fume about the bug'o'rama called Angel of Darkness.

TRWad
19th Jul 2003, 18:39
For aod: £30.00 is a good price

Originally posted by kh1
No need. Ik spreek en betje Nederlandse (sorry if the spellings a bit off);)

For the one who teached you dutch: £30.00 is far to much.

PLAYA INC'S BIG THUG
19th Jul 2003, 20:56
Who is stupid enough not to!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomb Raider Fan
19th Jul 2003, 22:17
£30:00 is actually very cheap for AOD..I bought it for £39:99 on PS2......

XanderD2
19th Jul 2003, 23:21
Originally posted by Tomb Raider Fan
£30:00 is actually very cheap for AOD..I bought it for £39:99 on PS2......

Well, the PS2 version may be worth the money at £39:99, but the quality of the PC version does not justify paying even £20. No disrespect to the developers, but they did a very sloppy job this time.

tomb_raiding
19th Jul 2003, 23:28
Well.... they had to... or they all would get fired :(

I think developing the story (which is GREAT) and the "book" took all the time :(

socom
20th Jul 2003, 00:24
Yeah, Yeah, blah blah blah blah blah...

YES I bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

arwen59
20th Jul 2003, 10:07
Yes i bought it and it's worth the 50€ something(i don't remember the price!):D :D

D3v1L80Y
20th Jul 2003, 17:08
I am not up on my international money conversions, but if £30.00 is anywhere close to $50.00 U.S. then yes....it is too much money

The game is mediocre at best and I feel that a fairer price would have been about $20.00 to $30.00 U.S.

Tipsko
21st Jul 2003, 09:55

Result of search for "melig":

melig
1. apathetic
2. boring, stodgy, tiresome

lol I don't think those are the right answers :D

ermanmutlu
21st Jul 2003, 12:12
I liked the game, but it is not deep enough.I mean, in the previous TRs levels were huge, and you have to explorer where to go and what to do.In this game, you know where to go and what to do, the only thing is how to do.

Besides, there are some stupid things.For example, I was in a pipe with Kurtis, and I tried to jump down to a room at the end of the pipe for more than one minute because they rendered that area with some bugs, I think.Doesn't it sound silly, you are trying to jump down from a stupid pipe instead of trying to find a way to finish a hard, huge and complex area.

kh1
21st Jul 2003, 17:42
Originally posted by stillme
You know, I've heard a lot of bad about this game, and I've played them all. I don't know why people expect the same exact game over and over again. I mean, I did have to get used to the

Snip
game wasn't deep enough. I guess you can't please everyone though.

-Tracey

Thanks for your constructive comments, Tracey. You are of course absolutely right. It wouldnt do for us all to have the same taste, would it?
My frustration, which I think came out in my original posting, was that the control mechanisms, whilst having some original, maybe even useful attributes, were either offset by crappy execution - such as staircases, or illogical (Sorry Mr Spock!) such as my quote about the disco - I called it a theatre - there was no reason why "I" couldn't load my gun, because there was ammo, but it was intended that "I" knock out the guard a la Splinter Cell. (a cracking game!).
I love to suspend reality, so I'm not looking for any kind of true-life realism. The latest thing to irritate me about the game (Sorry everyone!!), other than the flaming cut scenes, is that business of "I'm not strong enough" whats that all about?
Well, I'll try to think up some more irritating stuff.
Enjoy the game!!

PS it was £30.00 in Tesco, which is the cheapest I saw it for.

LittleSpender
21st Jul 2003, 19:23
Preordered mine at play.com - paid £25.99 inc delivery I think. Even cheaper now too.

But even if it had been £30, I would still have bought it and there's no way it would go back. Sure, a couple of patches are needed, but I'm afraid I blame the Playstation 2 for all the problems. This game should be way too big to even contemplate trying to fit it to the PS2, but Eidos/Core had no choice but to make it for both platforms, and that is what has screwed up the game. You can't have cinema quality graphics and massive levels on a PS2 with it's poxy 128MB memory. My old Pentium 2 had that much memory. And that was 5 years ago. Oh hold on, how old is the PS2 now? Maybe not 5 years, but geez - it's way outdated.

Come on Eidos, make the next one just for a proper games machine - the PC - where it belongs, and don't get bogged down by having to develop it for a platform that was outdated before it was released.

I intend to buy my new graphics card/mobo and processor in time for the next installment, so I'm going to be paying about £500 for the next one!

LittleSpender
21st Jul 2003, 20:31
Just checked - play.com have the PC version for £17.99 delivered now!

PS2? £29.99.

moe888uk
21st Jul 2003, 20:42
from now i declare you as 'BigSpender'.

Anyone know if theres any plans for the ps3.

Bushidog
22nd Jul 2003, 15:30
Originally posted by LittleSpender
..., but I'm afraid I blame the Playstation 2 for all the problems. This game should be way too big to even contemplate trying to fit it to the PS2, ... . You can't have cinema quality graphics and massive levels on a PS2 with it's poxy 128MB memory.

Dude, this is nonsence. I guess you've never played Primal or MSG2 or GTA3 or...or...or... .

Leave the PS2 alone, at least we don't have the crappy bugs in the game!!!

Oh, and kh1, please do not call buyers of this game dumb!!!
As you agreed with Tracey earlier on this forum, you cannot make a game to anyones liking. Some people like it, some don't; it's got nothing to do with a persons intellect. Thank you.

LittleSpender
22nd Jul 2003, 16:51
I guess you've never played Primal or MSG2 or GTA3 or...or...or...

MSG2? - Is that the one where you have to get out of the Chinese Restaurant alive? :)

LARAMANIAC
22nd Jul 2003, 16:58
Originally posted by XanderD2
I guess the results of this poll will be a bit misleading. There should be a separate poll for the PC and the PS2 version. From the posts of the PS2 owners it appears that they are happy with their purchase, but the PC users rightfully fume about the bug'o'rama called Angel of Darkness.

So, all 40 people who voted yes are PS2 owners???? :rolleyes: Guess the poll didn't say what you wanted it to say eh??? :D LMAO :p

Shocky
22nd Jul 2003, 17:49
P4 2.4 Ghz, 512 DDR, ATI Radeon 9700 PRO, Epox 4PEA, 19" Iiyama VM pro 452

...the pc is just fine... its the game :)

Agreed, I returned the game after a few days of asking questions here. Never got any real help so I got a refund. Story and gameplay were just bad and graphics were basic yet it ran like ****e so eh. :eek: Best thing about the game was the sound :D

P4@ 3.4Ghz
1024MB Memory (dual Channel)
R9700 Pro
Audigy 2
iiyama VM Pro 454 (this monitor rules) :D ;)

You would think it would run well on this system :p

Jonah90
22nd Jul 2003, 20:29
I got mine for £25 in pc world
And i wish i hadnt bothered
:mad:
I agree with almost everything the first poster said

Bushidog
23rd Jul 2003, 11:30
Originally posted by LittleSpender
MSG2? - Is that the one where you have to get out of the Chinese Restaurant alive? :)

Sorry, I mean MGS2 (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty):rolleyes:

Only game I know where U have to get out of a Chinese restaurant alive is Fear Effect on the PS1 (cool game).

Or am I not awake enough to get your joke?;)

XanderD2
23rd Jul 2003, 14:29
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
So, all 40 people who voted yes are PS2 owners???? :rolleyes:

Very smart indeed! :rolleyes: Took two days to figure it out on your own, eh? ROTFL!! :p

Or is it that in your opinion the PS2 version and the PC version are identical in every respect? Sorry, I do not recall PS2 owners complaining about Pierre's missing face, peg-legs, D3D error messages, missing textures all over the Parisian Ghetto level or ammo shortage during the fight against Boaz. So it is not unreasonable to suspect that the PS2 owners are more likely to vote 'yes'.

LARAMANIAC
23rd Jul 2003, 14:45
Originally posted by XanderD2
Very smart indeed! :rolleyes: Took two days to figure it out on your own, eh? ROTFL!! :p

Yeah you're right it took me a whole two days of thinking about it to work it out!! :rolleyes: