PDA

View Full Version : Best Game So Far?

The-Sleeper
18th Jul 2003, 16:14
Just wondering what you fav game so far is??

Tomb Raider Fan
18th Jul 2003, 17:19
Tomb Raider 3 is far the best! (My opinion) :D

Mangar The Dark
18th Jul 2003, 17:42
Definitely "Last Revelation"!

moe888uk
18th Jul 2003, 17:44
nothing can surpass the original

The-Sleeper
18th Jul 2003, 17:47
Whats Choronicals like, it the only TR i aint played :D

IndyDallasJones
18th Jul 2003, 17:56
TR 1 really is a masterpiece. I did like TR3 the best. Replaying TR1 you see how great it is though. Originally I didn't like all the HOT, RED levels too much, whereas I really liked TR 3 w/all it's different environments, & especially the snowy levels. Plus you had cool vehicles & great puzzles, climbing vines, twisting & turn grabbing, etc.

I didn't really like TR4 (trlr) although graphics were very nice. I didn't like it all being in desert Egypt.

I liked TR1,2,3 really all near equal, w/TR3 the best for me.
I did love the TR2 GOLD levels extremely well.

Also liked Lost Arctifacts as well.

I liked them all big time up to trlr, but I did also really like Chronicles, even though many don't.

AOD was DOA, not really a TR, but a bunch of junk to me!

moe888uk
18th Jul 2003, 18:48
i was trying to play tr-original the other day and felt a bit frustrated with the controls tho. kept reaching for the damn analogue sticks. so i tried playin it with my dance mat:D that came with my 'britney spears dance beats' game... hmm. am I revealing a bit too much about myself

anywayz my point was, movement feels more restricted in the original than in AOD. the controls became really good by the time of trlr tho. trchronicles will remain the game that i never played.

CoolBlueX
18th Jul 2003, 19:23
:D Tomb Raider Three is my all time favorite game. EVER. i can't get enough of it.

And Last revelations was HORRIBLE. that game sucked so badly.

Elvin Presler
18th Jul 2003, 19:45
It's kind of a tie betweeen 1 and 3 for me. 1 because it was just brilliant. 3 because it was the most "refined/matured" Tomb Raider game with the best abilities and moves and near TR1 gameplay.

TR1 takes the tie breaker though, because it was the first, so the "wow-factor" was higher.

TR2 was very good as well. :D
TR4 was very good as well but with some boring/illogical areas. :)
TRC was utter crap and I'm still pissed because they sold that little expansion pack as a full game. :confused:

TRAOD is an utter embarassment! Total bug infested unfinished rip off! :mad:

XanderD2
18th Jul 2003, 19:58
TR3! Why? Globe-trotting, vast and varied areas to explore, secrets, secret level, T-Rex and raptors. 'nuff said :D

LARAMANIAC
18th Jul 2003, 20:05
I've played and loved them all - but TR3 is the best!!!!!!! :D Same reasons as Xander really!!!! :p

numb
18th Jul 2003, 20:09
in order: 1, 2, 3 (& their 'gold' expansions), &, yeah, i'm another person who kinda liked chronicles for what it was, & enjoyed lr least of all (not sure why, really)...

Ringwraith6
18th Jul 2003, 20:36
It's nice to see so varies opinions!! Anyway my vote goes to The Last Revelation!! I will never forget it, it was brilliant from the first loading screen to the very bitter end (i felt like i lost a very good friend!!) The first one was good at its time and some of the magic still exists even now, but it's like the first kiss, although it is special nad you never forget it, the ones following it will inevitably be better!! T.R.2 was very fun but it didn't have that special magic the first one or The Last Revelation had as for 3... definetely the worst for me, it was very hard and long the only experience that will make you suffer less is having your teeth pulled out with a pair of pliers!! (now that's just sick shame on me!!) I liked the plot behind Chronicles, the whole memorial service thing was brilliant but, in my opinion, the game wasn't brilliant at all, apart from the Tower Block levels most of the levels were small unoriginal and very uninspired (Don't tell me that the Submarine levels weren't the same as the Maria Doria wreck in TR2) Now i have just started The Angel Of Darkness and i actually like what i've seen so far!! The PAL version is almost devoid of slowdown (at least in the levels that most of the Americans complain about like the industrial rooftops level) i haven't had any problems with the controls or the camera and i happen to like very much the whole pseudo Adventure Game feel of the Parisian Streets part!.

Mangar The Dark
18th Jul 2003, 23:34
Originally posted by Ringwraith6
Anyway my vote goes to The Last Revelation!! I will never forget it, it was brilliant from the first loading screen to the very bitter end (i felt like i lost a very good friend!!)

That's exactly how I felt! I remember right from the beginning being excited that they finally moved away from the mansion and gave us a new training ground. Not that I disliked the mansion, but come on! It appeared in three games already, so if I wanted to play it, I could just load up one of the earlier games. Plus, this training mission was actually relevant to the plot. Then I saw the lighting effects in Angkor Wat, and I was amazed. TR had never looked better. I had trouble on the ropes at first, but I loved the fact that they added something new like that... it made it feel more adventurous. And it was the only TR game in which the narrative kept me involved-- I was actually interested in the story, and that's something that never happened in a TR game before. The all-new puzzles were a great change of pace from "push the block" stuff we saw in the earlier games. I can see why some people were put off by the lack of variety in terms of locations, but I thought it helped the game feel more coherent; instead of zipping around all over the place just for the sake of variety, they had a more focused approach which allowed for better story development. I also really liked the way the effects of the oncoming plaque were revealed gradually through little things like the red sky, the locusts, etc. Finally, I loved the ending! (until they cheapened the whole thing by saying she didn't actually die.)

....so, um, anyway, yeah, I liked TR4 quite a bit. I'm done gushing now.

Cyber_Punk_303
19th Jul 2003, 03:35
Tomb Raider 1. The ORIGINAL. The CLASSIC. The experience. The atmosphere. The mainstream introduction to spelunking. The adventure. The LARA. The classy, yet kick-a$$ British girl with the balls and the guns!!!

tomb_raiding
19th Jul 2003, 12:06
am I the only one who likes AOD triology (can't wait for the next two) (Only if it was a bit longer and a bit harder, less bug ridden)

Anyways TR3 is my favorite It has my favorite Part (The South Pacific) My Favorite coustume (the south pacific one) and my Favorite Level THE LOST CITY OF TINNOS

PLAYA INC'S BIG THUG
19th Jul 2003, 20:47
Originally posted by The-Sleeper
Whats Choronicals like, it the only TR i aint played :D

It wasn't very good but, I liked it, it was, a flashback of previous adventures that weren't in the games. but, TRAOD is the BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notts Raider
19th Jul 2003, 20:51
Preferred TR4 because of the relentless puzzles and stimulation of playing. I'm enjoying AOD but getting used to a keyboard after playing all the others on a PSX in a fete in itself

XanderD2
19th Jul 2003, 22:58
Originally posted by PLAYA INC'S BIG THUG
TRAOD is the BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, man, stop shouting! It's OK that you enjoy it, but AoD is far from being the best! Sheesh! :mad:

D3v1L80Y
20th Jul 2003, 18:27
Last Revelation has my vote.

-It has the best graphics of the older games

-It has the most challenging puzzles of ALL the games

-You actually raid tombs and other ancient sites

-The cinematic sequences are superb

-It is a decent length (it took me about 4 or 5 months to complete the first time, that is without the aid of a walkthrough or cheat code or other helper)

In my opinion, it was the last TRUE Tomb Raider game.

Mercian
20th Jul 2003, 20:51
Obviously graphics and such have improved with time, but you must agree that the First and original was the best, because with out it none of the other 5 would exist, plus all the other 5 have done is altered and added to the original (with the exception of chronicles, which took a few steps back)...I still remember the first time I found the lost jungle in TR1 and saw the T-rex come running towards me...WOW!!!....It was and still is one of the best games ever to come out on the PS1...:D

ACIDMAN
21st Jul 2003, 14:04
TR4 FOR ME. IT WAS LONG ENOUGH .. 28.5 HRS GAME PLAY BY THE TIME A FINISHED IT
PUZZLES WERE GOOD, SO WERE THE GRAFFICS, ALSO IT INTRODUCED YOUNG LARA IN THE TRAINING LEVEL. VERY GOOD IDEAR..

AFTER THAT TR 1 THEN 2 THEN 3 AND CRHONICLES. WITH I FELT CHEATED. . 11 HRS GAME PLAY THAT SUCKS:cool:

Mr. Croft
21st Jul 2003, 18:15
My favourite was the original:D, until I've bought LC:TR-AOD(sorry TR#1:( )

Lara's75thBiggestFan
21st Jul 2003, 19:18
In terms of level design there is only one winner - TR1!

art 01
23rd Jul 2003, 00:14
TR1 forever!:)

tomb_raiding
2nd Aug 2003, 02:26
WOW TRAOD is the 2nd best, (Its also my second best after TR3)

vampire of balance
2nd Aug 2003, 12:50
TR3 was my first played TR and I like it MOST(TR1 is great too, AOD is a pain in the ass with those controls)

unrealized
5th Aug 2003, 15:46
TOMB RAIDER

Thats says it all! The original has definitely my vote. I don't care about the graphics, thats not the point, the point is the FELLING that game brought to us when it first came out. The felling of a never seen before game genre.

I was astonished when I first saw the T-Rex, me, Lara and a 14 meters beast alone in a lost valley.
I remember the first times I saw the atlantean aliens, they're a bunch of ugly polygons now. But they scared the sh1t out of me when they jumped out of those ball like incubators.

Tomb Raider II was amazing! it was THE felling again, I can remember the excitement of not being able to wait for the sequel.

Tomb Raider III was desolating for me. Releasing a tomb raider per year, with literally no new content, just more of the same. I liked some levels thou, like south pacific (my favorite costume) and the first level of London.

Tomb Raider IV was the last drop. New graphics? like I said, I don't care, I like a game's content, and besides, the graphic improvement wasn't that great, new game engine? the thing I noticed most was being able to see Lara was wearing a thong beneath her shorts.
Like before, more of the same. They tried to revive the felling of the original tomb raider by creating all the levels in Egipt, yet, that felling never existed. It was the one TR game I never got to the end, it was boringly repetitive.

Tomb Raider: Chronicles. The way this was going, I should absolutely hate this one. Yet I did not. TR V was fabulous IMO, it remembered me of the London levels of TR III, the Viena levels where dull, yet I liked them because of the Dé ja vù felling, Larson and Pierre remember them?
The submarine levels are the best in TR V IMO, don't ask me why thou.
The levels with Lara as a teenage girl where not very appealing to me. As for the levels in that tall building (can't remember the name) brought me back the fondness I had of the London levels from TR III.
Liking TR V is a bit contradictory since I didn't liked TR III very much and didn't liked TR IV at all, but don't ask me why, I can't even understand myself.

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. Well, it has its pros and cons. You have to love the graphics, and in this one yes, there's a new game engine, build from the ground up. It was the first serious advance in the TR's game engine. You can't say you don't like the new graphics.
I also like the story, loved the Hall of Seasons and its sub-levels, reminded me of the original Tomb Raider level 5: St. Francis Folly. with the 4 chalenging rooms.

As for the cons. the glitches are terrible, the bugs are even worse, the incompatibilities and conflicts with several hardware types, well, I don't have a word for that.
Tomb Raider AOD is the Antichrist!
But since what I care about most is the game content, the felling it brings, well, in that case, I like TR AOD enough to consider it a Tomb Raider game.

Concluding, the original Tomb Raider is the piece de resistance of the Tomb Raider series, remember the neo-felling it brought to you. As Cartman would say: Lara Croft kicks ass!
And thats the important thing.:D

PS: Sorry for the big lecture, but I really had fun writing thishttp://unrealized.com.sapo.pt/icon_up.gif

Death_Head
6th Aug 2003, 14:08
The Last Revelation all the way. The game rocked so much more than the others + Egypt is cool.

WesternWhiteWolf
7th Aug 2003, 22:04
I voted for TR3, but I appreciate all the games because they're all unique.:) I voted TR3 because I was happiest during those times. They were probably the best days of my life. *sigh*:(

Dani_Lover
7th Aug 2003, 23:21
I remember back when everyone hated TR3 because it was too much like the first two. Now everyone hate's TR6 because it's not enough like the first five. Can't win em' all I guess. I say this is near impossible to choose because the games are all superior to one another in some way. TR2 because of it's great action movie feel, such as the first venice level, racing through the canals, doing jumps, diving out before your boat is blown to smitherines on the lands mine, the level in her house where you're running around blasting people with the shotgun. All great. TR3 for the sheer scope and variety, so many weapons, different locations, different outfits, all of that kept the game feeling very fresh. The choose your own path feature was cool too because it added a lot of replay. TR4 had the superior puzzles of the series, with them spanning across many levels and being more creative than the scavenger hunt style puzzles that plagued TR3. TR5 was great because every situation felt so different, from the no gun section as young Lara, to the action packed russian submarine section and finally the excellent mission impossible style section in the office building. TR6 is unlike anything before in the series, it's great in it's own way, definately superior in terms of story and graphics. But I choose Tomb Raider 1 because it is absolutely classic. It was the first Tomb Raider game I ever played and it is to date the one I have played the most (I've played through it 10 + times), the game was very original and in my opinion featured the best adventuring and exploration of the whole series.
EVAN

Nybis
9th Aug 2003, 09:46
The first one off course. The Original Tomb Raider wins everytime.
Although I truly enoyed all of them.