PDA

View Full Version : Best video card for AOD?

Funzo
18th Jul 2003, 09:33
At the moment I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB and although it runs AOD reasonably well, I want a card which can do the Directx9 features, at high resolutions, at a smooth 60 frames per second. Which card should I get out of these, a GeForceFX 5900 Ultra or a Radeon 9800 Pro?

GoranAgar
18th Jul 2003, 09:58
Hard to tell.

I think I heard more people with a GeForceFX 5900 Ultra reporting problems than with a Radeon 9800 Pro. But that might just be driver related and can change with the next release of NVidia drivers.

simulation
20th Jul 2003, 23:35
I'm running a GeForce4 Ti4200 with no problems (apart from the known glitches). At the moment I am running 1280*1025 @85 hz with all the graphic options turned on.
Suggest you play with the settings to see what you can get out of your card.

Some people have complained about the latest nVidia driver 4.4.0.3 and have recommended rolling back to a previous version. I havn't had any trouble myself and have stayed with that version.

Simulation

spawnyboy
21st Jul 2003, 05:53
I'm using a Geforce 4 Ti4400 and was using the 44.03 drivers and although I had no problems the drivers after 41.09 for some reason will not force FSAA no matter where you adjust your settings at. So the game had the "jaggies" and I thought "this game looks like crap" the PS2 version looked better. I was really disappointed, then I remembered I had this problem with another game "SplinterCell", so I rolled back my vidcards driver to 40.72 and my god what a difference, like night and day, I now have FSAA graphic options turned up and the game looks so sweet! And I'm still getting some pretty good fps (I have a fairly high end rig). So if your pc is up to it give it a try, can't hurt, I'm now lovin' this game.

SVT_03
21st Jul 2003, 09:23
Originally posted by spawnyboy
I'm using a Geforce 4 Ti4400.I rolled back my vidcards driver to 40.72 and my god what a difference, like night and day, I now have FSAA graphic options turned up and the game looks so sweet! And I'm still getting some pretty good fps (I have a fairly high end rig). So if your pc is up to it give it a try, can't hurt, I'm now lovin' this game.

I can agree here. I have the exact same card in one of my machines, and I'm also using the 40.72 driver. Seems everytime I try a differen't driver, nothing works as well. I'll stick with the 40.72 for now. I personally prefer Nvidia, and will be purchasing the FX5900 Ultra soon, but if you're not sure, check for some reviews of both cards. I've heard good things about both.