PDA

View Full Version : Emulation...

James Kein
18th Jul 2003, 00:26
After getting impatient with my Tomb Raider Gold's incompatability with my AC97 sound card, I decided to look for other ways to get lady croft onto my computer. It was difficult enough getting the dos program for gold to run on my Windows XP Installation, so I began looking for patches. I found an article on croft times detailing on man's search to get lady croft on his dual boot win2k/xp system. Through this I met my new favorite program, ePSXe (or Enhanced PlayStationX Emulator). This program (and the bios from your LEGALLY PURCHASED PSX) allow you to put any PSX game into your computer's standard cdrom drive (I am using my dvd drive because it reads faster) and play the game. You need a few plugins for video, audio, ect - but most of the defaults are fine. (I have a good system, what with my 384 ddr ram, 1.6ghz amd athlon 1900+ xp, and 128mb ddr ram nVidia GeForce4 video card, so I went for the goodies - enhanced graphics and better stability, ect).

One awesome thing about this: screenshots. Another awesome thing about this: No DOWNGRADING to crappy old win 9x (95/95/ME) OS - it works with 2k and XP ;). and lastly, Game Controller/joysticks/gamepad compatability. :D :D :cool: :cool:

Have any of you used Emulators such as this to play PSX games on the PC? Anybody know of any good PS2 Emulators?

Tipsko
18th Jul 2003, 00:44
tried Bleem once, a good program, probably also the most popular one.

I'm also still looking for a ps2 emulator but still nothing found. Heard once that it would be almost impossible for a pc to emulate a ps2 game!

Tipsko

James Kein
19th Jul 2003, 01:15
who told you that?!?!? All modern Game consoles are computers in a sense. You'd just need a hell of alot of Ram. (as in 512+)

I know that someone (I don't know who) actually got his X-box to run Windows XP. Don't ask me how.

James Kein
19th Jul 2003, 01:19
Just got this from a google search...

Sony Playstation 2 (PS2) System
CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"

System Clock: 300 MHz
System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2
Graphics: "Graphics Synthesizer"
Clock Frequency: 150MHz
DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second
Sound: "SPU2+CPU"
Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (selectable)
I/O Processor
CPU Core: Current PlayStation CPU
Clock Frequency: 33.8 MHz or 37.5 MHz (selectable)
Sub Bus: 32 Bit
Interface Types: IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Communication via PC-Card PCMCIA
Disc Media: DVD-ROM (CD-ROM compatible)

SRC: http://www.a2zweblinks.com/computers/consoles/

Tipsko
22nd Jul 2003, 09:38
Originally posted by James Kein
who told you that?!?!? All modern Game consoles are computers in a sense. You'd just need a hell of alot of Ram. (as in 512+)

I know that someone (I don't know who) actually got his X-box to run Windows XP. Don't ask me how.

x-box=microsoft :p