PDA

View Full Version : Scary: Thorough analysis of the control restrictions for AOD on the PC

RebeL_fARmeR
17th Jul 2003, 12:36
I decided to do a thorough analysis of AOD's control restrictions based on the PC version, now I've finished doing so I may aswell share it with you lot! :D
It's pretty spectacular to read actually...

Forst of all I took the controls of The Last Revelaton (TRTLR) as an example of how the controls used to be, then I compared them to the controls in AOD (TRAOD)

Running:
TRTLR: Run means run. When you push the run button you begin to run, instantly, quickly.
TRAOD: Sometimes you press run and she’ll walk and THEN run. If you’re rotating on the spot and you press the run button she’ll ALWAYS walk and then run. Totally inappropriate for attempting a rapid reaction to a hazard.

Backwards movement:
TRTLR: Instant backwards hops of 1 grid unit. Perfect for setting up for running jumps. Back-hops are fast.
TRAOD: Usually instant start walking backwards. Walking slowly, cannot draw weapon while doing so. Useless in situations where dynamic movement is essential.

Still rotation:
TRTLR: Instant response, Lara can be walking, running, crouching, recovering from a fall, jumping and still be able to rotate. Rapid rotation.
TRAOD: Lara has to have finished getting up, standing up, coming to a stop before she can rotate. Rotation begins slow and then reaches full speed… which is still slower than other TR games.

Drawing a weapon:
TRTLR: Lara can draw a gun at absolutely ANY time that her hands are free, doesn’t matter what she’s doing.
TRAOD: Lara cannot draw a gun while rotating on the spot or walking backwards, usually you’ll need to back up from or turn away from danger while pulling your weapon, this is impossible.

Climbing things:
TRTLR: Action button allows you to climb or scale all obstacles, fine.
TRAOD: If you try to take a running jump off a ledge with the top of a ladder next to it Lara will not jump when you press the jump button but instead stop and climb onto the ladder because you’re holding down run. Inconvenient climbing of things as you have to use the same key twice. Accidentally jumping over handrails to your death if you run up to them sometimes.

Looking:
TRTLR: Can look while doing absolutely ANYTHING, complete freedom.
TRAOD: Can’t look while crouching, crawling, rotating, locking onto an enemy, backstepping, hanging from a wall, swimming. Look Y axis is inverted, pain in the neck. Have to hold look for a brief moment before look mode will initiate

Combat movement, for when you have a target lock:
TRTLR: Lara locks onto her opponent, controls remain the same giving you full regular control.
TRAOD: Tapping the back button makes Lara run backwards several meters, you cannot stop this even by pressing run. The RUN button also makes you go backwards occasionally. Left and right buttons mean nothing, you press them and you go BACKWARDS, it’s pot luck where you end up while trying to run around in target lock mode. You’ll always look at the opponent making used defined direction impossible.

Climbing from a small gap while on all fours:
TRTLR: Climb down backwards and grab the ledge, from there you can do what you please.
TRAOD: Only way down is to do a forwards roll off the ledge, no opportunity to grab the ledge, whatever is directly under you is what you WILL land on.

Roll:
TRTLR: Roll to reverse direction, roll while in combat, roll off a ledge and be able to grab the ledge.
TRAOD: Rolling off a ledge to turn around and grab onto it is no more, if you roll off a ledge you’ll fly forwards and fall onto whatever is beneath you, no chance to grab. No rolling during combat.

Sidestepping:
TRTLR: Sidestep mode initiates as soon as you press the walk button.
TRAOD: While walk mode activates as soon as you press the walk button, sidestep doesn’t, there’s a small delay. Not critical but still an irritation when you lose your alignment with something because of this.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Marco-Fogg
17th Jul 2003, 12:54
Well done. A thorough investigation into the disgraceful controls of AOD. It is scary isnt it?

RebeL_fARmeR
17th Jul 2003, 13:14
Scary? Aye, I just have to wonder... what on earth provoked them to do that to the controls?

cammer
21st Jul 2003, 19:01
You mention sidestepping, I can't get her to do this at all, she just turns on the same axis which is very frustrating when you need to line Lara up for something.

I also found by accident that the only way to exit things like the camera viewing Madames office in the Louvre or the xray camera in the louvre dig site is by ducking!

XanderD2
21st Jul 2003, 19:06
Originally posted by cammer
You mention sidestepping, I can't get her to do this at all, she just turns on the same axis which is very frustrating when you need to line Lara up for something.

I also found by accident that the only way to exit things like the camera viewing Madames office in the Louvre or the xray camera in the louvre dig site is by ducking!

You have to wait until Lara stops moving and then you can use the SHIFT+Cursor key to sidestep.

marty
21st Jul 2003, 19:27
I've just finished AOD and have to say I struggled with the controls.........It would of taken me less time to finish with a decent control system.

As I have played all of the TR series I have to say the controls in AOD are a massive step backwards.

The previous controls were so responsive...I just had a go on TRLR for the first time in ages and the AOD controls are seriously flawed in comparison.... It would be interesting to have another go at AOD if a patch for the controls is created bringing them up to the standard of previous Tomb Raider games.....I think it would be a much more enjoyable experience.

XanderD2
21st Jul 2003, 19:44
Originally posted by marty
I've just finished AOD and have to say I struggled with the controls.........It would of taken me less time to finish with a decent control system.

As I have played all of the TR series I have to say the controls in AOD are a massive step backwards.

The previous controls were so responsive...I just had a go on TRLR for the first time in ages and the AOD controls are seriously flawed in comparison.... It would be interesting to have another go at AOD if a patch for the controls is created bringing them up to the standard of previous Tomb Raider games.....I think it would be a much more enjoyable experience.

Believe me, you'll get used to the controls. I'm replaying Aod now and it took me five minutes to beat the accursed wraith. But you are right: the controls should be as responsive as in the previous TR games.

jinhamasaki
21st Jul 2003, 22:47
Lara climbs SO much better in this game, she can climb diagonally!

salvestrom
22nd Jul 2003, 00:28
Originally posted by cammer

You don't have numlock switch on I would say. Turn it off on my keyboard and you can't make her side step for love nor money. Have a look :)

I agree with the above poster that the new freedom of movement while climbing is fantastic :)

Sal

Notts Raider
22nd Jul 2003, 02:18
2 things i have found very frustrating:

1/ Going up and down stairs (nightmare)

2/ When entering water, lara always faces up instead of the direction you went in.

Raven
22nd Jul 2003, 03:28
Well done Rebel. It's nice to see an in-depth analysis of the control problems that have seriously impaired this otherwise excellent game.
It's frightening to see just how the controls have regressed since the last game. There's just no need for it, IMO; AoD should have IMPROVED on earlier TR games.
We want the old controls back!!

Mike Hawthorne
22nd Jul 2003, 04:08
I agree completely, and the worst part that I found is the fact that at least for me Lara becomes uncontrollable once she has targeted something.

If she has targeted something that runs around a corner she will continually run into the wall instead of ahead.

Moving in combat; forget it. I long for the days when you could jump, flip, run, dodge, and duck while fighting.

The combat system was one of the big factors in the game and that just isn’t there anymore.

Ad to that the fact that the AI for the bad guys seems to be stuck on and IQ of 23.

How many people figured out that you don’t have to kill anything in the Bio Dome.
The bad guy is so dumb that you can just walk through the room climb up and throw the switch and leave without a scratch. If you don’t kill him the grubs never appear.

The power ups are just a lame way of having another key to find and the game is very easy. I have hardly used any aid kits and I’m not ever trying hard.

I love the graphics and the new Lara, I can only hope that by the time that the next installment comes out they will have gotten what was good about the old TR games back.
I think I’ll go back and play TR4 again I haven’t done it for a long time. When you finished TR 2, 3, or 4, you really felt like you’d had an adverture.

This doesn’t mean I don’t like the game, but I hope that the next one will be both better and longer. I’m not through yet but I’ve only been playing a few days and am almost through the Trent part. It used to take me months to get through one of these games.

Still a TR fan forever…

Mike