PDA

View Full Version : The sorry mess that is Tombraider:AOD

Marco-Fogg
17th Jul 2003, 10:54
Well, I just finished the game and I feel gutted. All the way through the game I kept expecting the game to improve but It never did. Despite the attempt of people to put a brave face on things, the fact is that the controls ARE awful, and the game IS bug-ridden. I wont mention anymore on this as they are well documented at this stage. One thing that really surprised me was how easy the game was overall and how pathetic the boss battles at the end were in paticular. They were so predictable and poorly thought out that I had to force myself through them, and at the end was left thinking 'is that it?'
Apart from the disapointment of the actual game, the whole way this project had panned out has been a complete catastrophe. Delay after delay for what? The game wasnt even finished in my opinion, and all they did was test loyal fans patience. I mean its really unbelievable when you think about it, especially when you think that games like GTA:Vice city was done in a year.
Its the end of an era really. The whole thing has ended in disgrace with the so called 'father of Lara' Jeremy Heath Smith stepping down. But the really terrible legacy of this game will be the millions of fans who feel terribly disapointed with a game that promised so much, but delivered so little.

BlueSkiesXXV
17th Jul 2003, 11:21
I thought AOD was great, but each to their own I guess.
The controls were very fiddly at first, but after an hour or so they are fine.

They now have a whole year to complete the next title, so let's hope that they polish it to perfection.

JohnnyZ
17th Jul 2003, 11:47
i agree with blue skies, i had no problem with the game regarding bugs, yes the contols were annoying at first but within a few hours i got used to them, its not the best TR ive played but ive really enjoyed it :) and am looking forward to the next one, but each to their own i suppose

RebeL_fARmeR
17th Jul 2003, 11:59
I liked AOD, and agreed, the controls DO get easier with practice... well, appart from the combat controls, the combat controls are the most fundamentally b******sed up controls in the history of man!!! There's no getting used to the combat controls BUT if they were the same as the rest of the controls I don't think it'd be too hard to adapt.

I do indeed hope they run the buffer over the next TR, get it all polished up and perfect.

moe888uk
17th Jul 2003, 13:14
I think theyve really nailed the controls with this game. Possibly the best controls in any game (of except when she does some wierd straffing when you pull the guns out, the gun-fights were too easy so it didnt matter much). Why do people have such different opinions then mine? Strange.

Riovanes
17th Jul 2003, 13:25
I think it all depends on which version of AoD you happen to be running.

The NTSC PS2 release has unexcusably unresponsive controls. Any time I have to jerk the analog stick in one direction to produce even the tiniest of movements in one instance, only to have that same action produce a drastic and completely opposite action the second time I do it, there is something desperately wrong with the control scheme.

Case in point - I have Lara running in one direction. Suddenly the camera shifts angles, and my main character decides she's going to start doing little pirouettes in the middle of the level, despite the fact that nothing about the way I've been using the controller has changed.

Now, I understand that when a camera angle shifts, control perspectives shift too. But even most old PSX games would keep you moving in the same direction for at least a few seconds following a camera angle shift, allowing you time to re-orient the direction in which you were pressing the analog stick so that you wouldn't wind up running in circles - a problem that AoD has on about a million different occassions. For a first gen PSX game, I wouldn't be so upset - but for a game that was supposed to represent the "evolution of Tomb Raider," there is simply no valid excuse for this kind of problem.

I understand a lot of hard work and man hours went into this game, and if my hunch is right, it wasn't the development house that shoved this one out the door before it was ready - that's usually laid up on the publisher, because they're the ones that handle the deadlines. But whatever happened, this thing was a gaffe and then some in terms of the sluggishness and schizophrenicity of the control scheme - no excuse, whatsoever.

BAH!!!

moe888uk
17th Jul 2003, 13:42
The case you described never happend to me, but it could be really annoying if it did happen.

Also I dont understand why lara walks before running when told to run by so many people. At first it hapend to me a few times but on the ps2 if you push the stick hard up in one movement she just starts running.

Riovanes
17th Jul 2003, 13:50
Indeed - pressure sensitivity is supposed to be the great advantage of using analog-based controls. For straight action running, that's great - but when the rest of the scheme is sotted, it's not so good.

I think the problem a lot of people have been having is with the change from the old TR games that used the D-Pad to AoD, which utilizes analog - if you're not used to the sticks, it can be difficult. However, I now find it harder to play games that do NOT utilize analog control than those that do - analog just feels natural, I suppose.

It's really not that the controls themselves were that bad - it's just that the execution was so terribly sloppy.

BAH!!!

BlueSkiesXXV
17th Jul 2003, 14:20
I used to love 'Fields Of The Nephilim' when I was at college.
Great Stuff :D

http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/albertwesker/Pic_n.jpg

"Tear my ******* heart out!!!"

jodman3
17th Jul 2003, 14:23
Originally posted by Marco-Fogg
Well, I just finished the game and I feel gutted. All the way through the game I kept expecting the game to improve but It never did. Despite the attempt of people to put a brave face on things, the fact is that the controls ARE awful, and the game IS bug-ridden. I wont mention anymore on this as they are well documented at this stage. One thing that really surprised me was how easy the game was overall and how pathetic the boss battles at the end were in paticular. They were so predictable and poorly thought out that I had to force myself through them, and at the end was left thinking 'is that it?'
Apart from the disapointment of the actual game, the whole way this project had panned out has been a complete catastrophe. Delay after delay for what? The game wasnt even finished in my opinion, and all they did was test loyal fans patience. I mean its really unbelievable when you think about it, especially when you think that games like GTA:Vice city was done in a year.
Its the end of an era really. The whole thing has ended in disgrace with the so called 'father of Lara' Jeremy Heath Smith stepping down. But the really terrible legacy of this game will be the millions of fans who feel terribly disapointed with a game that promised so much, but delivered so little.

I think that problem why the game is unfinished is because they had a hard time creating the game engine,and then when they finished they had to take out bugs, build levels, ect.
They ran out of time.